Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 2 is boring

Fallout 2 sucks?

• Yes

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • No

Votes: 117 80.7%

• Total voters

Psilon

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Why in the world do people play Fallout 2 before Fallout 1? Is it because omg seequals r bettar, even though there's hardly a piece of media in existance that supports this?
Doom 2? Daggerfall? Quest for Glory 2? Quake 2? GTA2? Unreal Tournament? Wing Commander 2? Serious Sam: Second Encounter? C&C: Red Alert? Master of Orion 2? Civilization 2? Crusader: No Regret? SimCity 2000? Age of Wonders 2? King's Quest IV? Jagged Alliance 2? FreeSpace 2? TIE Fighter? Duke Nukem 2? Super Mario Bros. 3? The Even More Incredible Machine? At least during the 1987-1997 period (yes, some of these came out after 1997), sequels frequently were better than the initial games. Not always, of course, but the relatively slow pace of graphical advancement meant that programming time went more towards story and gameplay features (and, admittedly, writing your own EGA/VGA/SVGA/VESA driver and XMS memory manager) and less towards hyper-spatialized 3D environmental audio effects.

More on-topic, I played Fallout 2 first because that was the only one I could find at the local game store. The only copy of Fallout they had was in terrible condition and didn't have a manual. So some of us who started at the, ahem, rear entrance had legitimate reasons to do so.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Psilon said:
kingcomrade said:
Why in the world do people play Fallout 2 before Fallout 1? Is it because omg seequals r bettar, even though there's hardly a piece of media in existance that supports this?
Doom 2? Daggerfall? Quest for Glory 2? Quake 2? GTA2? Unreal Tournament? Wing Commander 2? Serious Sam: Second Encounter? C&C: Red Alert? Master of Orion 2? Civilization 2? Crusader: No Regret? SimCity 2000? Age of Wonders 2? King's Quest IV? Jagged Alliance 2? FreeSpace 2? TIE Fighter? Duke Nukem 2? Super Mario Bros. 3? The Even More Incredible Machine? At least during the 1987-1997 period (yes, some of these came out after 1997), sequels frequently were better than the initial games. Not always, of course, but the relatively slow pace of graphical advancement meant that programming time went more towards story and gameplay features (and, admittedly, writing your own EGA/VGA/SVGA/VESA driver and XMS memory manager) and less towards hyper-spatialized 3D environmental audio effects.

More on-topic, I played Fallout 2 first because that was the only one I could find at the local game store. The only copy of Fallout they had was in terrible condition and didn't have a manual. So some of us who started at the, ahem, rear entrance had legitimate reasons to do so.

Ah, I guess I see your point. For Fallout, I remember reading that someone thought it was really good, so I went to...Hastings, I think, and they had Fallout 1 and 2 in one case (these are called jewel cases?) for 10 bucks. Best 10 bucks I ever spent, except that time I got a blowjob from Chefe's mom.
Also, I played Fallout 2 first, but I didn't like it, I don't think I went past the temple of trials. Then later I tried Fallout, and loved it.

PS I have to take exception to the example Doom 2. Double barreled shotgun, good. Revenant, Pain Elemental, Arch Vile, bad.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I think tons of casual gamers who just play once or twice prefer FO2. The weak points of that game are more visible and more hurtful to people who are fans. Fans who spend some of their time finding out what fallout really is about. Casual gamers think Fallout was based on mad max if anything.

Ausir

Arcane
kingcomrade said:

Unfortunately, that's a trend among computer gamers. I initially played FO2 and liked it, then played FO1 and still liked FO2 more because it was bigger. Later I played both games a few times more, learned a lot more about the setting and now I like FO1 a lot more.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Anywho, Fallout 3 will probably have Mel Gibson as talent, feature hyper-realistic grains of sand, teen rating (otherwise the leet speakers wouldn't be able to buy it), and be a first person shooter. Well, that's maybe a bit extreme, but I hope Bethesda knows that the people that will buy the next Fallout will be the same people that played Fallout 1 and 2. It doesn't have the hype from 10 year olds that other RPGs have.
Ya know, I don't even care what genre it will be -- FPS or RPG, as long as the style and MadMaxish atmosphere is preserved, and made even grittier. But that's me a-dreamin'...

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
And as we all know, grittier means "put lots of hookers and drugs because that's gritty"
See, the conversation is back to how much Fallout 2 sucks! Way to stay on topic!
If I wanted MadMaxish, I'd play Halo: Mad Max Edition.

Section8

Cipher
I think Killzig said it best when he said (paraphrasing of course) "Fallout is like a head on between Pleasantville and Mad Max, and so much more."

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I found replaying FO2 more fun than FO1 because there's more stuff to do.

kris

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Too much sex. Seriously. Let's compile a list of people you can sleep with. Feel free to add ones that I miss.

Now list how many people you could kill in the game and compare. then you can compare how many times you had sex and how many times you killed someone. When you done that it is time compare it with real life and how you would have done things had you been there yourself. For me personally it surely was to little sex contra violence compared to how I live. :D

Now just like we could discuss that it was to much forced fights and how fighting works we could discuss the roleplaying value of the sex. First it has a value just being there, but that is a weak value. In Fallout 2 they did at least label you "a gigolo" if you slept around which gave a consequence, I don't remember how that affected peoples reaction on your though... There is many other things to put in of course. Jealous husbands, someone using you by offering sex as reward, having diseases in the game or using sex or sex appeal your self to attain a goal. Just having the sex on its own is part of roleplaying, but not that satisfying from a roleplaying experience. If nothing else the hookers is a nice money sink :D

Fallout 2 could hardly be described as boring IMO. Although I agree with someone complaining about the last part and San Fran as when I came there I felt it was rushed.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Getting AIDS or syphilisis through sex would have been a great feature in FAllout (and any RPG, for that matter). Why? Cuz then condoms could have some use other than just "LAWL CONDUMS!" gadgets.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just saw this thread...
There is a lot more stuff to do in FO2 than in FO1. Calling the game boring just because you didn't like it and because "it is not consistent with the FO1 universe" (I hate this phrase, by the way), is silly. Appreciate the game for what it is.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I enjoyed both games. FO2 had more content than FO1, but it was not as well thought out a story, and story is what I'm all about when playing a game. I definitely prefer FO1 over FO2, but I still love both games dearly.

Funny thing is, I just found an actual copy of both games in their original boxes and all. $10 each. Me was happy. Now I can give my jewel-cased set to a friend.

kris

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
kris;
Actually if you sleep with that one chick in New Reno with condums in your inventory, you get a different ending than if you don't have them.

Cool, which one was that? For there was quite a few there... ;)

See roleplaying :D

yipsl

Scholar
I can't vote because I've only played Wasteland, not Fallout and Fallout 2.

Is heresy allowed here? Saying a Fallout game sucks here at the Codex is as unusual as seeing a thread stating that Bethsoft is doing a great job (they're doing a good job, by the way, but could do better).

Can't wait till Fallout 3's up and in production. The two certainties of the Codex will meet in the Perfect Storm. Sadly, I can't kibbitz much there unless I actually go out and find the two prior titles.

Personally, I don't care that Fallout 3 will be one of "the most violent title ever" as long as it's true to the franchise they purchased. After all, I can't kvetch about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic not being true to M&M RPG history otherwise.

Where game series are concerned, consider me a traditionalist.

Chefe said:
You're boring.

We need to cease and desist any complaints at all with either Fallout 1 or 2. One bad point might drive Bethesda to use the Oblivion engine and create Fallout FPS: Mutant Mayhem. You never know what might drive those crazies over the edge.

Now, that I'd worry about if Ubisoft had bought the franchise. As it is, I bet they do it first person RPG like TES. A first person RPG has possibilities that no third person or isometric game can match, and those possibilities do not make it a first person shooter.

kris

Arcane
yipsl said:
1. Is heresy allowed here? Saying a Fallout game sucks here at the Codex is as unusual as seeing a thread stating that Bethsoft is doing a great job (they're doing a good job, by the way, but could do better).

2. As it is, I bet they do it first person RPG like TES. A first person RPG has possibilities that no third person or isometric game can match, and those possibilities do not make it a first person shooter.

1. obviously this forum houses individuals and in comparison to the TES forums those individuals are not gathered due to one game series. for that when it comes to Fallout, check NMA forums.

2. If it is first person and oblivion is anything to go by, the yes the combat will most certainly be just like a FPS. When the aim is done by you for guns then it is a FPS, that your character determine the damage output is of lesser consequnce.

Now since I and probably most others here already submitted to them going this road we only hope that the other parts of the game will be in a roleplaying sense close to the original games. Personally I truly hope they will be able to make memorable NPCs, something Morrowind totally lacked for me.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Kthan75 said:
Calling the game boring just because you didn't like it and because "it is not consistent with the FO1 universe" (I hate this phrase, by the way), is silly. Appreciate the game for what it is.
Then the question is: do you like the original version of the Fallout setting or the way Fallout 2 handled it more?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
yipsl said:
Is heresy allowed here? Saying a Fallout game sucks here at the Codex is as unusual ...
Free speech is what's allowed at the Codex.

Can't wait till Fallout 3's up and in production.
Me too. I wonder how long it would take for Beth to shut the forums down.

Personally, I don't care that Fallout 3 will be one of "the most violent title ever" as long as it's true to the franchise they purchased.
We both know it's unlikely. As in "not a chance". The game may be a decent post-apoc game, but Bethesda has neither a clue nor intentions to make a decent Fallout game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Sure they will! I can see it now.

It'll have no hookers or drugs (no more mentats), because we gotta get that Teen rating, and it'll have an oversized interface so the Konsole Kidz can play it without having to figure out any of the buttons.

It'll have Adam Sandler as Harold to bring top notch quality voice acting and fart jokes to the franchise, and Patrick Stewart as One of the Vault Dweller's Other Descendants to follow along with the theme of the game: Fallout 3: The Next Generation.

The wastelands will be realistically generated with the latest ultra-raytraced polymorphic laser beam rendering technology with realistic radioactive erosion. This innovative innovation promises the best in immersive immersion.

Do you want to see fear in a mutant's eye as you gun him down? Well now you can(!), with the new ultra innovative XPRESSION(tm) system.

There will be no hand to hand weapons or melee weapons, because seriously, who used those? It'll just confuse the Konsole Kidz.

Also, it's going to be powered by Radiant AI. Watch the mutant attack his pet dog! Ha ha! That's amazing!

Kuato

Liturgist
mEtaLL1x said:
Anywho, Fallout 3 will probably have Mel Gibson as talent, feature hyper-realistic grains of sand, teen rating (otherwise the leet speakers wouldn't be able to buy it), and be a first person shooter. Well, that's maybe a bit extreme, but I hope Bethesda knows that the people that will buy the next Fallout will be the same people that played Fallout 1 and 2. It doesn't have the hype from 10 year olds that other RPGs have.
Ya know, I don't even care what genre it will be -- FPS or RPG, as long as the style and MadMaxish atmosphere is preserved, and made even grittier. But that's me a-dreamin'...

well im sure it will be much more pg thunderdome than like the road warrior

kris

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
The wastelands will be realistically generated with the latest ultra-raytraced polymorphic laser beam rendering technology with realistic radioactive erosion.

I mentioned this, they will have a realistically radiated landscape :cool: I guess there will be Tjernobyl visit scheduled for the team :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom