Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fable II

Saxon1974

Prophet
So is someone going to volunteer to review the game?

It looks like a game for a 12 year old to me. Its getting really good reviews but I have learned not to trust major media reviews.

Is there a good RPG review site other than the codex?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Bought the first one, liked it; HOWEVER I understand it's
faults. Which were many.

If there's a concise narrative, I'm there. If not, well...

Lingwe

Liturgist

It looks like a game for a 12 year old to me.

I think you are over estimating the target age group a bit. Brought to you straight from the mouth of Gamespot Xboys:

Fable 2 is one of those games that you sit down and start playing and the next thing you know 3 hours have gone by. I hate how "game experts" nit pick about stupid little things when the review games such as "making money is too easy". The point of playing a video game is to have fun and believe me fable 2 delivers. It is refreshing to play a game like fable after all the generic FPS that have been coming out. Don't get me wrong I love games like Halo and Gears but it is a nice change of pace

Being able to "FEEEEL" the controller "RUMBLE" during action-packed sequences is also awesome. Add in the cool achievements and you have a great game that feels absolutely perfect.

Fable 2 is definitely the Best RPG game of this type that I have ever played. Mass Effect is my other favorite RPG, but Mass Effect is more of an Action-RPG, while Fable 2 is more of an Open-RPG where you get to determine the life of your character.

I played the first fable when it came out for x box and let me just say that i thought it was one of th greatest games i had ever played!!!! then when i found out that there was going to be a sequel i almost cried i was so happy!!! Now it is finaly here and it is amazing!!! worth a 10 in my book any day!!!! It is just so much fun it play... and its a game that you can beat and play again and it be different!! that is awesome to me be because i love RPG'S and have played All the Zeldas, Final Fantasy X, Oblivion, and all the GTA's.... and i have beaten them over and over again... and for me to be able to pick up Fable 2 and play it again and it be diferent in some way every time is amazing!!!

If the guy who loved the Zelda and GTA RPGs loves it then surely you will as well.

If you still had any doubts:

IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VIT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!LL L♥VE IT!E IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!IT IS AWESOME PLAY PLAY NOW DO IT DO IT IM TELLING YOU YOU'LL L♥VE IT!

And that was just on the first page.

Jiles

Educated
Saxon1974 said:

It looks like a game for a 12 year old to me. Its getting really good reviews but I have learned not to trust major media reviews.

Is there a good RPG review site other than the codex?

I'll be happy if it's anything like the original. Fable wasn't a good RPG by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a fun enough time sink for a few evenings.

Fable-2-Master-Chief_01sm.jpg

Halo REALLY IS an RPG after all

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Christ. I said I liked it and I only played through it once. Also naming GTA as an RPG is the funniest shit I've seen in a little while.

The laster quoter should die in a fire. :twisted:

Xi

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
If there's a concise narrative, I'm there. If not, well...

A linear narrative has nothing to do with role-playing. Would you like that voiced acted too? God forbid you may have to read some text and choose a response to affect the outcome of a branching story! Mother fuckers! The next evolutionary step to RPG gaming is to remove the linear narrative and create a beautiful branching non-linear story of endless possibility!

Did Fable 2 accomplish this btw?

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
I do agree with you Xi in some regards, maybe I was high when I discussed narrative with Fable. However, you do NEED some kind of narrative in a single player RPG.

Depending on how linear it seems is down to the talent of the developers. In regards to dialogue/text, Fable really has fuck all so it's kind of a moot point.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm waiting for the inevitable inferior PC port.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I'm happy with it so far. It's basically Fable 1 with slightly upgraded graphics and some more stuff thrown in to entertain/bore you. As I said in another thread they also employed better voice actors and dialogue and the writing overall have taken a major step up the ladder. If you enjoyed Fable you're going to enjoy Fable 2 I think.

In closing I would like you all to know that I don't like that fucking dog at all.

Data4

Arcane
So does it feel as boxed in as Fable 1? For about the 2 hours or so that I wasted on it, it felt to me like a corridor crawler with no roof. I guess I just likes me some free roamin' tbh.

Sarvis

Erudite
Andyman Messiah said:
So far it's only been leading me on the straight and narrow path, yes.

Did you look around?

It's still not as open as something like GTA, but it's light years ahead of Fable. Just walking from the first major city to the second town I ended up spending a couple hours exploring an abandoned inn, an abandoned mine and some ruined railway areas. All of which were off the path for where I was going.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Sarvis said:
Andyman Messiah said:
So far it's only been leading me on the straight and narrow path, yes.

Did you look around?

It's still not as open as something like GTA, but it's light years ahead of Fable. Just walking from the first major city to the second town I ended up spending a couple hours exploring an abandoned inn, an abandoned mine and some ruined railway areas. All of which were off the path for where I was going.
Lalala, I'm walking on a path, lalala. Oh hey, there's a house! There's a dungeon! I'll pop in and say hello! Lalala, monsters slain loot collected, lalala! Back to the path again, lalala!!

Just like Fable 1.

Xi

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
However, you do NEED some kind of narrative in a single player RPG.

I don't think it's a requirement. Although I guess a branching story would indirectly include a narrative, it just wouldn't be as focused or as epic as modern games try to make it. Still, the story should be an aspect of gameplay! Video games are interactive fiction, not passive fiction like reading a book.

The interaction is the entire point of a video game. Why this interaction has not made an in-depth debut in the narrative? I don't know, but it just seems like the next natural progression of game design. Let the player create the story by wandering through a maze of different story outcomes. Let them decide which branch to take. This is interaction! Performing a mass slaughter of enemies and monsters between each story arc is utterly not interacting with the story, it's just linearly progressing to the next, unalterable part.

Linear narrative is a cop-out in terms of video game interactivity. It's the anti-thesis of what RPG stands for choice, interaction, and consequence.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Thanks all for your thoughts, Im definitly gonna pass on this game.

I didnt like Fable 1 much, mostly for the boxed in feeling and the cartoonish feel. It just doesn't really feel like an RPG to me, it feels more like an adventure game with C&C, or at least Fable 1 did which I didnt care for.

Its funny how dumb the young gameplayers are now, if they arent lead down a path and told what to do they complain that the game it too hard!

When I was 9 or 10 I was playing Ultima III, you know back in the day when games made you figure everything out for yourself?

Deleted member 7219

Apparently, Fable 2 isn't boxed in. It has an open world.

made

Arcane
Andyman Messiah said:
Dark Individual said:
how is the combat.
Easy.

From what I understand, you cannot die. Ever. The "challenge" lies in fighting with style, to get bonus points and unlock, I imagine, visual upgrades for your char. Think Fable 1 had something similiar to this, but I don't really remember much about the game.

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
Xi said:
Barrow_Bug said:
However, you do NEED some kind of narrative in a single player RPG.

I don't think it's a requirement. Although I guess a branching story would indirectly include a narrative, it just wouldn't be as focused or as epic as modern games try to make it. Still, the story should be an aspect of gameplay! Video games are interactive fiction, not passive fiction like reading a book.

The interaction is the entire point of a video game. Why this interaction has not made an in-depth debut in the narrative? I don't know, but it just seems like the next natural progression of game design. Let the player create the story by wandering through a maze of different story outcomes. Let them decide which branch to take. This is interaction! Performing a mass slaughter of enemies and monsters between each story arc is utterly not interacting with the story, it's just linearly progressing to the next, unalterable part.

Linear narrative is a cop-out in terms of video game interactivity. It's the anti-thesis of what RPG stands for choice, interaction, and consequence.

Right on the Money, Xi. Some kind of structure is needed but shouldn't be the core of the title. I guess a major issue with modern game design is some kind of terror the dev's face thinking that punters won't be inquisitive or interested in creating their own stories. Considering the stupifying of particular IP's lately this sadly seems to be the norm. To be frank tho, Fable is the worst example of an RPG. It has only ever offered visual creation of a character. Beyond haircuts and tattoo's the character was a shell, no real creation of a personal tale was possible.

Xi

Arcane
Barrow_Bug said:
...Fable is the worst example of an RPG. It has only ever offered visual creation of a character. Beyond haircuts and tattoo's the character was a shell, no real creation of a personal tale was possible.

Yeah, Fable seems more like a Rogue-like with modern technology and some dumbing down. For the Rogue-like quality I think it's fairly decent formula. If I had an X360 I'd probably buy it. I happen to like the Rogue-like game design, but I agree it's not a great example of Role-playing by any means. At least it had a better story then Diablo.(and that's not saying much) Heh ;P

It's mildly enjoyable, and I will argue, without playing either, that Fable 2 is a more entertaining game then Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom