Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fable 2, a sadly very buggy little game...

racofer

Thread Incliner
Crispy said:
Hey jacofer, I was wondering. Are there any RPGs that you actually do like?

And please remember, "NWN2 with a fixed camera" is not a valid answer.

Bloodlines.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
RPGs, as in plural, you criminally-stupid little twirt.

Please, list a few. Bloodlines is too easy. Go out on a limb a little, buddy!

I've had no problems with Fable 2 (it's the reason I haven't really posted in the past week). It's still basically as shallow as ever, though the story was a million times better than the original (although a lot shorter, not that it was hard to be better than the last game's story). If it was longer, had some dialogue trees and some other business, it would be damn amazing.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Just encountered an annoying quest breaking bug. It's one of the quests that becomes available after the endgame. I'm supposed to find my kid who ran off into some cave. I'm supposed to talk to my wife for the details. Oddly though, every time I talk to her she just says some pointless gossip or asks to have sex. She never tells me where to find the kid.

Well, there's one quest so far that is impossible for me to complete.

MDH

Novice
This is the way I see it.

If Peter Molyneux had decided to bring back "Project Ego", this game could've been the revolutionary thing he's been promising this whole time.

The Natural, no-game "real world" style gameplay where running makes your legs stronger and sword fighting makes your arms stronger.

Where everything you do has different outcomes without "good" or "evil" or rewards or consequences being tacked in a way which is meant to make the player's ethics FOR THEM (it's up to the player to be satisfied based on WHAT ROLE THEY'RE PLAYING).

Where the world is truly a dynamic place which moves by itself.

That's the game I would have loved to play.

I don't want to fight to a gimmicky drum-beat combat system.

So really I knew from day one this game wasn't going affiliate itself with my wallet.

Circuitous

Novice
Well, no bugs that broke quests or otherwise outright damaged the playing experience yet.

I've seen two complete playthroughs (holy fuck this game is short, my legitimately retarded cousin beat it in one weekend) and no crashes or game-breaking bugs.

Menus of course take for-fucking-ever to load, maps are unreadable, Kreia is as annoying as ever - wait what the fuck is her name? Everyone wants to fucking marry me, targeting is awkward as hell in non-combat situations, buying books serves no purpose unless they actually give you something because their only benefit is the second panel of text which you can read right there in the store, unless you REALLY wanna buy 'em then wait for a random-ass shortage to come up so you can hock them for a 25 gold profit...

BUT the combat's pretty amusing, the spells that are actually there are pretty fun to watch/use and the charging mechanic is an interesting take on the process, the art direction's quite nice, a lot of the dialogue is genuinely amusing when it's not obviously intending to appeal to monkeys...

Pretty fun game, I suppose.

Back to Arcanum.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
Crispy said:

go out on a limb?

how aboutz teh gr34t35t aaaarrrppeeegeee of allz timez! OBLIVION!

ya rite, sorry i couldnt keep a straight face.

ultima 5+, arcanum, fallouts, might and magic, wizardry, toee, EOB, SSI gold box games...

Barrow_Bug

Cipher
racofer said:
Decline of the codex.

Wow. Really? I mean from single celled organisms, to fish, to mammals, to Apes to "Decline of the Codex" on every fucking thread? Man, we've come a long way.

Silellak

Cipher
TheWesDude said:
Crispy said:

go out on a limb?

how aboutz teh gr34t35t aaaarrrppeeegeee of allz timez! OBLIVION!

ya rite, sorry i couldnt keep a straight face.

ultima 5+, arcanum, fallouts, might and magic, wizardry, toee, EOB, SSI gold box games...

You seem to have accidentally included Ultima 9. It's okay. I forgive you.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
ok fine you nitpicker...

ultima 5-7.5 ( and yes i do acknowladge that 7.5 is not so much a RPG in its truest sense, its more of a story driven action game, but sue me, i love that fucker.)

Silellak

Cipher
TheWesDude said:
ok fine you nitpicker...

ultima 5-7.5 ( and yes i do acknowladge that 7.5 is not so much a RPG in its truest sense, its more of a story driven action game, but sue me, i love that fucker.)

It's okay, I love it too.

I even tolerate Ultima 8. It had a lot of good ideas, just executed poorly, and it didn't rape existing continuity. The series was still redeemable, at least until Ultima 9.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom