Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you have even the slightest interest in DOS games and you're not familiar with the eXoDOS project yet, you owe it to yourself to watch this video.

Apart from introducing the eXoDOS project and explaining why it's significant, eXo (the founder/project leader) talks about his general philosophy on the preservation of cultural artefacts and why 99.99% of GoG and Steam re-releases of old games suck.

The more observant among you might notice that he mentions DOSBox Staging in passing in the first few minutes in relation to "great CRT shaders". Those are my doing :cool:; they will be released with the next Staging release and they will be part of eXoDOS v6. eXo will do a video about them shortly, I'll post it here.

We, the Staging team, are working closely together with the eXoDOS guys to help preserve DOS games in their best possible form for the generations to come, and *authentic* CRT shaders (not the wild ones that look like broken TVs...) are a very important part of that experience.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This jerk wants me to download 70GB for playing DOS games?

Fuck off. Just use DOSBox.
No. He doesn't *want* you to do anything.

1st place medal for entirely missing the point.
How big will the full package be this time with all the games? I should probably expand my disk space.
From memory, the full v5 DOS collection is 500GB, then the Win 3.x collection another 400GB.

The v6 collection will include soundtracks, books, more magazines, etc. so dunno exactly, but more than 500GB.

Overall, how much does a 2TB drive cost? Not too much, like lunch money for a week? Then you have the full collection of all DOS & Win 3.x games.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw, the base pack that includes all manuals, booklets, code wheels, hint books, etc. is worth getting in itself. You can either download that once, then you have all that stuff for all games in existence, or you can fuck around for half an hour or more every single time you need those things for a given game.

Then once you have the base pack, you can simply download only the games you're interested in one by one if you don't want the full collection.

Btw, the individual game ZIPs of the v5 collection are available on this HTTP mirror:
https://the-eye.eu/public/Games/eXo/eXoDOS_v5/eXo/eXoDOS/

I quickly grab something from there if I need it for testing—super handy.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
to help preserve DOS games in their best possible form for the generations to come
And how do you know that future generations will give a flying fuck about dos games?

Just admit, you're doing it because you're autists. :-D
"How do you know if future generations will give a fuck about old paintings or sculptures?"

And yet we have museums.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
to help preserve DOS games in their best possible form for the generations to come
And how do you know that future generations will give a flying fuck about dos games?

Just admit, you're doing it because you're autists. :-D
How do you know they wouldn't? :cool: But if you don't, they wouldn't even have a chance, would they?

We're doing it because we love DOS games and they're worth preserving. We can agree all gaming history is worth preserving. And because it's fun :cool:

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Ok, when your dos museum is ready I'll be the first in line.
It is!

https://www.retro-exo.com/
it-belongs-in-a-museum.jpg

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Oh nice. I was amazed while watching the video that they included MT-32 and SoundCanvas, was wondering how did they pull this off from the legal standpoint? Went to their website. Oh, TORRENTS, that's how. Somebody with balls to do the right thing and disregard antiquated copyrights finally.

Glad to hear about the shaders, too. This can't come out soon enough.

I bought an 8bitDo Sega gamepad recently, have been going through the old favorites with retroarch. The correct controller (not ideal, but close enough anyway) really gives the best feeling, ten times better than playing on some xbox gamepad. They're compatible with the real sega console and with PC, too.
eab1763b10b962b3796e0000e0ff4dca.jpg

Now considering buying this baby:
9467b420a118d0e1e92f8878a354cd79.jpg

It's some Model F clone, probably by Key Tronic, with buckling springs. Perfect condition, goes for 51 bucks here. Shit, I think I'll just do it for the ExoDos collection now. Going to add the tactile aspect of the retro experience into it.
Upd: ugh, it's foam and foil switch, cancelled the order.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Cool project, but why the decision to bundle the package with Launchbox?
I guess eXo wanted to use a flexible, nice GUI frontend without having to write their own. There aren't many programmers in their team, AFAIK. And why write your own when something free/open-source does the job.

I personally use Playnite as my frontend, I find it much better and it has great emulator importing functionality.

I've downloaded both packages, will take a look later tonight. Thanks!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I personally use Playnite as my frontend, I find it much better and it has great emulator importing functionality.
Nice one, wasn't aware of this one.

I personally don't use frontends at all; I like to configure emulators individually. But eXo is doing this for people who just want download & click & play, which is a sizeable part of the population. As he said in the video, the number of people who are able to configure a DOS game correctly (or at all) is shrinking year by year. Those people simply die off! So such a pack as his is essential for preservation purposes.

I'm gonna approach this problem from a different angle by writing an extensive DOSBox Getting Started guide that assumes only basic computer skill (like you can turn it on, can copy files, and unpack a ZIP), and also a comprehensive User Manual for DOSBox Staging. The latter is going to be a multi-year project...

I've downloaded both packages, will take a look later tonight. Thanks!
Have fun, man. There's also eXoScummVM and eXoAppleIIgs, if you're into those things.

Actually, just realised the total package sizes are listed on their main page here:
https://www.retro-exo.com/index2.html

AndyS

Augur
Launchbox might have a bit of an advantage in that it technically is a DOS frontend above all else. Being a frontend for other emulators was a feature that got added a little ways into its development.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Not to draw too much attention away from the great work of friend Rincewind in dosbox staging and the eXoDOS team, this stuff is excellent, but as an alternative, I've been using TDC and Dosbox Pure. Really hassle free experience for games older than 1992. Great to see IBM PC compatible game preservation have so much tooling and attention these days.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Message from the man himself about the size of the v6 collection:

I haven't mentioned size, because it keeps growing. Yesterday I added like three gigabytes of novels to the extras of games
We added like four zork novels, five or six infocom novels, and four doom novels
I also have some things on my drive twice. The packed up version, and the extracted version. So there's always a difference between the download size and the setup size
And then of course there's a difference between just eXoDOS or eXoDOS with the media pack

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom