Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

Humanophage

Arcane
Playing as Catholic Geneva on "Very Hard Ironman". Feelgood Deus Vult, white power through diplomacy. Constantinople taken away from Turkish hands after less than a century.
bNUS6R4.jpg

exJcTu7.jpg

it got reworked a dozen millennia ago, with the introduction of percentage based ports blockades. since then, no one can blockade the whole bosphorus other than ottomans themselves for a century.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
it got reworked a dozen millennia ago, with the introduction of percentage based ports blockades. since then, no one can blockade the whole bosphorus other than ottomans themselves for a century.
What are you talking about? You can easily blockade the strait as Byzantium.

The issue is the fort.

This is the easiest way to start as Byzantium:

Start by building a ton of galleys (you'll probably only get to build 5). Move your troops to Morea. Kill Epirus and possibly keep him as a one province vassal. Get military access from Venice and if you vassalised Epirus scutage him.

Wait for the Otto's to move troops into position to attack, set defensive edict on Constantinople and then either let him attack you or attack him. The goal now is to island trap 1-2 of his armies coming for you in Morea.

Once that is done you get a bunch of mercs to break the seige on Constantinople. After that you have a choice depending on how things are going, either you cross the strait with transports and start to hunt whatever remains of the Ottos or you quickly seige the fort beside Constantinople, possibly breaching with your armada depending on how earlier naval battles went. Having secured the two forts on the strait you should be safe and can disband the mercs and seige down Greece and wait for the peace deal (or if things went well earlier you can 100% him and use your fleet to trap smaller armies on different sides of the strait).

it's all cool and dandy, until ottomans attack first two months in.

just my sick curiosity: how are you going to maintain a fleet large enough to fight kebab's? magic?

thesecret1

Arcane
Been a long time since I did a vanilla BYZ run, but it should still be possible to cheese it if you really need to. IIRC crossing the bosphorus takes a fairly long time. If you can grab gallipoli fast enough, you can send a single galley from port into the strait. The galley will die to Otto fleet, of course, but the naval combat will provide a blockade for a moment. That's enough to reset the crossing timer. If used well, you can buy yourself a year or two where Otto's armies are stuck trying to cross (then you prolly run out of money, but it's fine, you can pay your debts with the money you grab in the peace deal), while you siege down all of greece. When Otto finally does cross, he still needs to siege down those forts to get any warscore, giving you yet more time. If you time things well, you should be able to reach a favourable peace deal just before they take one of your forts.

That's how I did a BYZ vs Otto run with no allies a couple years back anyway.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
it's all cool and dandy, until ottomans attack first two months in.

just my sick curiosity: how are you going to maintain a fleet large enough to fight kebab's? magic?
Selling monopolies and then loans, you'll pay things back with the money you take from the Ottosman.

Last edited:
try again, if you don't 100% block source and target, troops don't give a fuck and walk anyway. last time i played, a couple years ago, it was still like this, i doubt it's been changed or nerfed, paradox loves sticking to its terrible decisions.

thesecret1

Arcane
try again, if you don't 100% block source and target, troops don't give a fuck and walk anyway. last time i played, a couple years ago, it was still like this, i doubt it's been changed or nerfed, paradox loves sticking to its terrible decisions.
I'm pretty sure its never been like this... There was a straits blocking change some years back that mandated that you had to control one of the two provinces forming the strait, in order to block the troop passage. Whether you manage to blockade the ports or not has always been completely irrelevant.

No, you don't need 100% blockade, you only need 1 ship and for the enemy to NOT control both sides of the strait. The blockade % only matters for stealing income and getting the bonus on sieges for blockading the province. Unless it was literally changed in the last month I'm absolutely certain it works this way. If the enemy does control both sides of the strait then no amount of ships can stop them crossing.

XenomorphII

Prophet
Yeah blockade percentage has never been relevant to troop crossing unless it was very swiftly changed back at some point.

Mikeal

Arcane
Finally the mod we need https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3018237343

Stock Market Mod for Europa Universalis IV!

Experience true life of an investor, immersing yourself in an overhaul of the eu4 trade good system, providing you with many tools necessary to completely relearn the inner workings of the trade system.

Rest assured, for you will be delivered with:

Dynamic Pricing!
The mod allows you to immerse yourself in the realm of real economics. There are no more static prices rarely influenced by a few price change events. Everything is now dynamic, and prices of trade goods depend on their supply and demand which can be influenced from anything like development to army and navy sizes around the world.

Price Events!
The vanilla price change events have been entirely overhauled to make the changes in markets more realistic. New events have been introduced to add some randomness to the prices. Experience the "craze" events, introducing otherwise foreign trade goods to Europe, generating temporary skyhigh prices! And don't let the Huaynaputina eruption bankrupt your economy!

Stockpiles and Demands!
Your population now demands trade goods! Acquire them by conquest or purchase them so that your population shall never suffer from a famine ever again. Fail to do that and you will find yourself beset by internal cohesion. Manage your demand by instituting taxes or completely banning consumption altogether.

New Buildings!
Fulfill the demand by constructing one of the 10 new buildings, half of them focusing around increasing the production of 5 Basic Trade Goods. If you are feeling prosperous and bountiful, further empower your country by constructing one of the five buildings that generate demand.

The Stock Market!
Buy, profiteer and manipulate the global markets to your will. Purchase stock ahead of time and sell at the most opportunistic time and sow the profits of your hard investor work! Or... just invest everything into one basket and lose all your life savings.

Higher Game

Arcane
Early-Spain.png

Early game Castile is still a beast if you play it right. Was about to cut down Aragon just before Iberian Wedding so I could feed it up more later before annexation, but Isabel got dysentery and died so whatever. :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom