Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
What bothered me about Vic2 was the economic and needs system was buggy as hell. Like, it would tell me that needs are met one second and then suddenly it tells me that needs aren't met and would go back and forth. Then my economy would tank because of rebel spam and strikes even though I'm producing a lot of goods.
It got really annoying after a bit and was unplayable for me.
Still a more interesting game than Vic3, which just looks boring to me.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
GLORIOUS PORTUGAL WORLD EMPIRE
I play EU4 only about once every year or two and it is time for a Let's Play style report of this one:

- Focused on maximizing trade income and gold deliveries from colonies
- Had by far the largest navy the whole game but had to work hard on my ground force limit and manpower

eu4_2.jpg

The HRE and Russia were crushed by others, so I took over Siberia too after colonizing everything else I wanted:

eu4_1.jpg

Beat Spain three times and took over the Sevilla trade node provinces each time, had 80-90% of the trade node pretty soon:

eu4_3.jpg

The main pain in the ass of fighting Spain were his colonies Florida and Canada which were stronger than my own:

eu4_10.jpg

I started off with colonizing the Caribbean, then continued with Mexican conquest, Brazil and then Peru and Louisiana conquest. Especially the latter two were dicy to begin with. I liked having a stronger colony than the competing ones and then have them colonial wars on their own. France lost their major Colombia colony only towards the end when I attacked it with three of my colonies.

The Ottoman kept blobbing and had the by far largest army, but I still managed to have a "hit and run" win against him together with 3-4 allies and took over the Suez and Jerusalem. Interestingly, at the end the Ottoman attacked first France and then China and barely lost both times - probably due to having his armies all over the place and having no fast mode of transport. He became a Hegemon three times and lost it three times:

eu4_9.jpg

According to stastics, I took out 97 nations and won 135 wars - that was a bit of a "holy shit" moment that it were so many. I guess the American and Australian tribes were most of those.

Fun fact: I had 65% trade power in the Chinese Canton trade node with only one province there (Macau). The Global Trade Power, Trade Steering bonuses and Mercantilism do give enormous advantages.

eu4_4.jpg

eu4_5.jpg

Interestingly, staying Catholic also has huge advantages. Converting high development colony provinces gives a lot of papal points which can then be used to increase Mercantilism or raise Stability without wasting monarch points. Had 81% Mercantilism in the end, with most of it acquired through the pope:

eu4_6.jpg

I made sure to get as many gold provinces in my colonies as possible (easy income in the beginning). In the first war against Spain I took over most of the gold provinces in his Peru colony, which was the beginning of the end of his major colonies in South America.

eu4_8.jpg

eu4_7.jpg

Talk to you again in another year or two.

Its beautiful... this is how it should have been.

What's up with colonizing Siberia, tho? Free real estate? Sounds like colonists that could be better used in the Americas or Africa.
Surprised you didn't do anything with India.

Also damn, interesting map with monster Ottomans, hefty France, that Super Commonwealth and OP Bengal.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
When I grabbed Siberia, everything else was colinized by then.

India had only big powers left and I grabbed the South when that one lost against others and was weak.

Bengal benefitted from being my ally. Otherwise China might have cut him to size.

I guess I should have taken more of Mali early on instead of just the coasts there. Realized later that Northern Africa is a non-colonial region, meaning less autonomy and more manpower.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I didn't go precisely because I did not want to waste admin points. But it may be worth it since the provinces there can all get 0% autonomy. Manpower early on is kind of an issue for Portugal.

I guess a vasal there might work too.

And Portugal seems to usually meet the Ottomans in Africa. As soon as that happened I got myself several big allies and he never attacked me. Also got 4-5 maxed out fortresses in the bottleneck region where the border to him was.

thesecret1

Arcane
Spent the last three weeks binging on Anbennar. It's really fun, and the fact you're playing in fantasy land with magic makes it all the easier to discard any notion that you're supposed to be playing anything even remotely realistic. The mission trees are great fun and bursting with flavour, unafraid to do all sorts of wild shit. Many even hide some sort of disaster near the end, aimed at basically shitting all over you so that you have something (extreme crisis management) to do in the late game. It wasn't THAT good a year back, but the last few major updates really picked up the pace.

Higher Game

Arcane
I guess I should have taken more of Mali early on instead of just the coasts there. Realized later that Northern Africa is a non-colonial region, meaning less autonomy and more manpower.
Is taking North Africa worth it early on? I get the feeling its a massive Admin point sink and the way to go is to get a vassal there to feed on, am I wrong?

Last time I tried Portugal in EUIV, I rage-quit after 100.000-man Ottoman armies attacked me from the middle of the fucking desert. That's so dumb in so many levels.

Taking North Africa is needed to stop the pirates, duh. :)

Higher Game

Arcane
I might try Portugal next. Next patch is going to make it much easier to manage deliberate bankruptcies supposedly, due to tax base reducing construction time. Rebels can mess up debt fueled manufactory spam by making you wait a little too long after the finish to avoid another inflation hit when dozens of loans suddenly demand repayment or extension. But inflation is going to get worse too, now affecting great projects.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I might try Portugal next. Next patch is going to make it much easier to manage deliberate bankruptcies supposedly, due to tax base reducing construction time. Rebels can mess up debt fueled manufactory spam by making you wait a little too long after the finish to avoid another inflation hit when dozens of loans suddenly demand repayment or extension. But inflation is going to get worse too, now affecting great projects.
Man I'm so glad I don't do weird debt shit. So much work. Sadly I also can't use great projects since I refuse to pay PDox another dime. Those things are broken as hell for modifier stacking.

Higher Game

Arcane
Man I'm so glad I don't do weird debt shit. So much work. Sadly I also can't use great projects since I refuse to pay PDox another dime. Those things are broken as hell for modifier stacking.

EU4 without debt is like bodybuilding without steroids. And great projects make certain provinces true prizes, not just the gold producing ones.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

EU4 without debt is like bodybuilding without steroids. And great projects make certain provinces true prizes, not just the gold producing ones.
I take the merchant loans sometimes. But I mean the game is so easy that taking tons of loans is unnecessary unless you are trying to win by 1650 or w/e.

Higher Game

Arcane
Portugal1.png

Portugal2.png

Uber Portugal. All 10 great projects are fully upgraded, by the way, and all advisors are level 5. There's just no money limit at all well before 1600. And I didn't troll for Chad rulers after the opening regency either. Yes, I make a habit of deleting forts, even if it's completely unnecessary.

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Started playing with Holland. Funnily enough, Burgundy let me go even without a fight once I had Castille and Denmark supporting my independence.

Got the Outer Hebrides early on too to start colonization earlier and am currently allied to France and Denmark, so unlikely anyone will mess with me.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Assigned Pasha for 2 states, got -33% global state maintenance for 5 and 3 provinces, -264% total. God bless.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
If you royal marry your eyalet then it will take a diplo slot. God bless.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What are some fun starts this patch, besides the obvious Ottoman Empire?
Already conquered Egypt as Ethiopia on the first try, Horn of Africa nations only allied each other and the early game was a breeze.

Vatnik Wumao
Daimyo (-> Japan) or Korea given the expanded content that they got with this DLC. Only issue (or positive depending on how you look at it) is that Ming will probably be weaker than usual since some of the negative events that they get aren't properly balanced yet.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Already conquered Egypt as Ethiopia on the first try, Horn of Africa nations only allied each other and the early game was a breeze.
Define fun? Angevin is kinda funny but you get a lot of parliament debate timers which is annoying to wait on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom