Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Europa Universalis IV

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Not always, Sweden and Ottomans (to a certain point it seems aleast) seems to do just fine in the games ive had as other nations, although not as precise and quick as i would do it.

I would put it at a 50/50 chance on it going either way.

I have never ever seen Ottomans go up to Wien or conquer North Africa. Sweden does sometimes annex Norway and parts of Russia but never Pomerania for example. You also can't Fraustadt Saxons so what's even the point.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The AI isn't supposed to match reality. Bit of a wild goose chase expecting that kind of behaviour. The game wont mimic all the micro-events in reality that spawned all their reality expansion.

FreeKaner

The AI isn't supposed to match reality. Bit of a wild goose chase expecting that kind of behaviour. The game wont mimic all the micro-events in reality that spawned all their reality expansion.

That's not what we were talking about though but strength and balance of states compared to their historical standing, if you go back a page I say the same, the game is not supposed to be historical but alternative history.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
That's not what we were talking about though but strength and balance of states compared to their historical standing, if you go back a page I say the same, the game is not supposed to be historical but alternative history.

Very often, more often than you'd at first realise, the strength of a state very often relies entirely on the people that manage it, not its inherent resources or standing. An over-the-top example would be, for example, Joan of Arc, or Justinian. Like a bad AI, you can have all the resources available to conquer XYZ weaker neighbour, but if the talent and will isn't there then it wont happen and could even result in a civil war at home, or worse, a counter invasion, a good example being Spain's frittering away of all its gold resources in a frenzy of aimless over abundance after colonisation. An AI will not have variations in personality and its personality will, naturally, veer to the dumber side due to over-predictability and lack of long-term planning. Would an AI leader ever behead their wife and tell the Pope to fuck off and invent its own religion?

FreeKaner

Very often, more often than you'd at first realise, the strength of a state very often relies entirely on the people that manage it, not its inherent resources or standing. An over-the-top example would be, for example, Joan of Arc, or Justinian. Like a bad AI, you can have all the resources available to conquer XYZ weaker neighbour, but if the talent and will isn't there then it wont happen and could even result in a civil war at home, or worse, a counter invasion, a good example being Spain's frittering away of all its gold resources in a frenzy of aimless over abundance after colonisation. An AI will not have variations in personality and its personality will, naturally, veer to the dumber side due to over-predictability and lack of long-term planning. Would an AI leader ever behead their wife and tell the Pope to fuck off and invent its own religion?

Exactly, due AI not being able to have that much variance there are events, ideas, national ideas, AI personalities to spice the game up and recreate some direction instead of it being an entirely numbers against numbers risk game. It's again an alternative history game.

Delterius

Arcane
I have never ever seen Ottomans go up to Wien or conquer North Africa.
Two points should be made here.

First, are you including Egypt in your North Africa? Not only do the Ottomans regularly conquer the Mamluks, but the AI in general priorizes targets according to coring costs. The magreb kingdoms and Hungary both have bonuses to hostile core creation. The only time I've seen the Ottomans reach Vienna was because Austria inherited PU'd and inherited Hungary only to be crippled later on by everybody else.

Second, also keep in mind that lack of expansion doesn't necessarily account for lack of power. The AI often takes its sweet time to do anything in game.

Luzur

Good Sir
Not always, Sweden and Ottomans (to a certain point it seems aleast) seems to do just fine in the games ive had as other nations, although not as precise and quick as i would do it.

I would put it at a 50/50 chance on it going either way.

I have never ever seen Ottomans go up to Wien or conquer North Africa. Sweden does sometimes annex Norway and parts of Russia but never Pomerania for example. You also can't Fraustadt Saxons so what's even the point.

In my game as England once Ottomans actually had territory all the way up to Wien for some years after winning over Bosnia, until Bohemia threw them out.

And in my game as Brandenburg Sweden took Norway, Novgorod, Pskov and some of the danish islands and threatened Moscow together with The Livonian Knights and had some wars with Poland, but in another game when i was Spain, Catholic Sweden was carved up between Denmark, Finland and Teutonics, so as i say, it seems it can go both way after a certain year, if Sweden survives the 1400's it will usually grow in some direction.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Are you guys playing with the cossacks? Because i find estates and favours a bad system in EU.

Anyone knows how you can disable them via modding ?

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm bored.. suggest me a campaign / achievement

Majors suck.
Try theodoro, or trebizond achievements . Now with ottomans being op as fuck i dont know if trebizond is even doable anymore.

FreeKaner

Anyone else think that the event which lets Spain put a PU over Portugal if Portugal has regency should have higher chances of happening? MTH 15 years seem too much, considering the only alternative is forcefully vassal them because they are clay thieves stealing MY fucking Caribbeans.

FreeKaner

i didn't even know it was a possibility. and i wasted hundreds of hours with spain/castille.

It happened only once to me. You have to be allied with Portugal and have high relations and if they have a regency, they can be put under a PU but it has stupid high MTH so it's very rare. Nowadays I just annex their northern territories then make them a vassal, way better.

i usually befriend them and france to beat the crap out of aragon (the union with aragon almost never triggers for me), then during the colonialism times i let my colonies kick the crap out of theirs until i gradually kick their useless asses out of europe. vassallizing them takes too many points and it's not worth much after all.

FreeKaner

i usually befriend them and france to beat the crap out of aragon (the union with aragon almost never triggers for me), then during the colonialism times i let my colonies kick the crap out of theirs until i gradually kick their useless asses out of europe. vassallizing them takes too many points and it's not worth much after all.

If you vassalise them they will colonise Africa for you then you can later annex them together with those colonies. The PU event only fires if you are Spain, doesn't as Castile.

last time i tried, ex-portugal colonies became my direct vassals, crippling my diplomatic mana. maybe it's been fixed/changed.
not that i care now, i've had enough of plaing spaniards :V

Soph

Educated
Norway / Norwegian Wood

I might do this one.. was halfway with a campaign until Paradox decided to add an update to Scandinavia this month, so suspended for now.

Try theodoro, or trebizond achievements . Now with ottomans being op as fuck i dont know if trebizond is even doable anymore.

Trebizond achievement I have. Theodoro I remember playing with a few times already, their colour absolutely rocks. Still need the achievement, sounds like fun. Especially with the new Ottoman OPness and the possible early Crimean March event for them.

Got that achievement as well, highly recommendable, lots of fun!

I guess my next game will be Theodoro.

Delterius

Arcane
Hmmm, what about Granada? I used to have lots of fun colonizing the USA as a hispanic muslim and then Re-Reconquistaing.

One game I just had lots of fun with was restoring Zoroastrian Persia as Tabarestan. I had to somehow conquer Yazd before the Timurids ever got around converting it.

Soph

Educated
Hmmm, what about Granada? I used to have lots of fun colonizing the USA as a hispanic muslim and then Re-Reconquistaing.

One game I just had lots of fun with was restoring Zoroastrian Persia as Tabarestan. I had to somehow conquer Yazd before the Timurids ever got around converting it.

Granada is fun, I remember when this used to be one of the hardest achievements to get. People would try and flee to Africa / India / America before Castille gobbled them up and then came back when they were strong. I got it through normal means by jumping on Castille when they were busy with Aragon.

Played Zoroastrian once, to rekindle the royal flames.. think I started with just Yazd as a custom nation. I like playing in that region for some reason. This is Persia is also fun!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
EUIV, adding four ages, major rework
Hello everyone and welcome to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we’ll talk about the biggest feature of our next expansion. A system we called “Ages of Europa Universalis”.

The game is now divided into 4 separate ages, where different rules apply in each age. Each age also have objectives you can fulfill, and abilities you can use use.

• Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530
  • Age of Reformation => 1530 - 1620
  • Age of Absolutism => 1620 - 1710
  • Age of Revolutions => 1710-1821

Each age have seven objectives that can be fulfilled, and if they are fulfilled, you gain +3 power-projection as well as 3 splendor each month.

Now you may ask? What is splendor then? Well.. Splendor is the age specific currency you use to purchase abilities. There are seven abilities in each age that each country can purchase, and there is also four unique abilities in each age, where countries that historically were powerful in that age can unlock a special ability.

Whenever a new Age arrives, you power projection from objectives start decaying, and you now lose all the abilities you purchased in the previous age.

Today we’ll take a look at the Age of Discovery, which is the first Age.

index.php

Rules
Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
Peasants War, Castilian Civil War, War of the Roses can only happen in this Age.

Objectives
  1. Capital in old world, discover Americas
  2. Own Territory on two continents
  3. Embrace Renaissance and keep it in all state provinces.
  4. Own a 30+ development city
  5. Own 5 Centers of Trade
  6. Have at least 2 personal unions.
  7. Humiliate a Rival
Abilities
  • Allow Edict “Feudal De Jure Law”
  • Transfer vassal wargoal
  • Create a claim bordering claims
  • 50% longer lasting claims.
  • Explorers & Conquistadors do not cost maintenance while on missions.
  • Finished colonies gets +1 random development.
  • Gain +1 attack bonus in your capital's terrain type
  • Ottomans : +33% Siege Ability
  • Portugal : +50 colonial growth
  • Denmark : 30 less liberty desire in subjects.
  • Venice : +50% Trade Power from Ships

Another cool concept we have related to the Age mechanics is the Golden Era. A golden era can be started once per game for a country, as soon as you have fulfilled 3 objectives in an Age, and lasts for 50 years.

A golden age gives you 10% cheaper costs for anything you spend monarch power on, your land and naval morale increase by 10%, and you produce 10% more goods.

The free patch keeps track of which age the game is in, and uses it for triggers for disasters and events.

Beastro

Arcane
If they could combine that with some mechanics to make the player's empire hard to keep together and prone to collapse would make those goals more appealing to aim for before the inevitable fall.

trais

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
WTF is that shit. This whole concept is gamey as fuck, but I could live if it was made well. But it's not, it's made of pure weapon-grade stupid.

For a starters, the goals make no sense. Discovering the Americas in the Age of Discovery or controlling center of trades are ok, fine. But why would having a 2 PUs would also be one of those, other than as a welfare gift for Denmark and possibly Castille, Poland or Austria? Or humiliating rival for that matter, how is that something specifically related to this period of time?

Abilities you can gain from fulfilling those arbitrary mini-achievements are also unbalanced as hell. The country specific ones are something I don't even. +33% siege ability for Ottomans? Yeah sure, they were in a dire need of yet another combat buff :roll: Can't wait to see what later eras have for Prussia.
But the generic ones are not much better. Transfer Vassal wargoal? That should be a standard for every feudal nation. Nonetheless it's a great peace treaty option to have. OTOH, stuff like 50% longer lasting claims, whoopty-fucking-fiddly-do. Creating a claim or two from thin air already takes only a couple of years for a single diplomat, and there's literally no point in having more of them at a time, because even if you could beat your enemy badly enough to take more in a single war, the coring costs and Aggressive Expansion will bite you in the ass if you're gonna do that.

Thankfully, this looks like a DLC material, so it's gonna be like Sunset Invasion one for CK2 - skip and never look back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom