Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Just shut up and take their money.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I'm sold!

images

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
My only hope is that this isn't :vaporware:

Planetside-like gameplay + 40k + some Space Marine-like gameplay just has to be fun.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Game concept sounds very interesting, too bad the release is so far away :( Website states it as 2015.
So we can expect the real release Christmas 2016 perhaps :D

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Game concept sounds very interesting, too bad the release is so far away :( Website states it as 2015.
I wouldn't mind if they released earlier without all the races implemented, to be added with expansions/patches, as long as it starts with three factions. Or an Early Access.

So... What race should the Codex be?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Look at this point, it's just vaporware.
The MMO industry is fucked.
TESO is showing signs of devs not being learning animals.
Don't get too overly positive people.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

Not really. MMOs are not vaporware, they're just bad games, but even the shittiest ones keep going (SWTOR) with no end in sight. Dark Millenium was (hopefully) only vaporware because THQ went under during development.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I suppose people will play beta somewhere in between 2014-2015. Planetside 2 have been a beta with thousands of people already playing.
MMO genre is not fucked. MMO devs are fucked. Warhammer Online could be a great and fun MMO, should Mythic put at least some effort in supporting the game. Most just ignore any balance or performance issues and spawn millions of skins and pets and other microtransaction shit.

Derek Larp

Cipher
  • We currently have the front/side/rear armour rules working in the game, but it's a bit experimental at the moment. Depending on the accuracy of the anti-vehicle weapons it may be a bit silly to have separate front and side armour since it's generally extremely easy to target the side or top in 3D space and therefore all that front armour might be wasted. Fortunately, the system is very flexible and we can easily change and try things throughout development.

Consider that armor becomes more effective the lower the angle between the surface and the path of the projectile is (as the projectile has to travel a longer way though the armor to penetrate).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Eh if they make a decent shooter with multiple factions and Planetside structured mechanics, the only thing I'm worried about is vaporware.

Shralla

Educated
Since Orcs are the least popular faction on common polls

I don't think I believe that. Of course I'm sure these "common polls" are most frequently answered by 15-year-old Space Marine players, so I guess it's entirely possible. I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that Orks sell any less than the other races though. But what happens if a paying player wants to play as Orks? Is there no motivation to do so? Is the entire point of buying the game to play as Space Marines? That sure sounds like a GW move to pull.

There has to be more to this game than just constant fighting like Planetside 2. For one thing, the Warhammer universe is inherently more fluff-based than Planetside. People are going to be expecting some kind of story that they can take part in and experience. Aside from that, Planetside 2 has shown that without a significant metagame, MMO shooters just aren't worth playing. Are we going to get multiple planets and the ability to travel between them?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
There has to be more to this game than just constant fighting like Planetside 2. For one thing, the Warhammer universe is inherently more fluff-based than Planetside. People are going to be expecting some kind of story that they can take part in and experience.
Fucking storyfag, fuck off. You want a story in a game? Then let the gameplay create a story for you.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Since Orcs are the least popular faction on common polls

I don't think I believe that. Of course I'm sure these "common polls" are most frequently answered by 15-year-old Space Marine players, so I guess it's entirely possible. I think you'd be hard pressed to prove that Orks sell any less than the other races though. But what happens if a paying player wants to play as Orks? Is there no motivation to do so? Is the entire point of buying the game to play as Space Marines? That sure sounds like a GW move to pull.
F2P players can only play as cannon fodder boyz

It's a p. brilliant idea.

Shralla

Educated
Well alright then. I don't really have much interest in spess mahreens and the Ork fluff is hard to not fall in love with.

TedNugent

Arcane
The game developer is a shovelware developer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behaviour_Interactive#Titles

Titles
I don't know what GW's fascination is with pairing up with subpar developers when Relic has been sitting on the sidelines. BTW, wtf is with Montreal and shitty games?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
The core team, that is Lead Designer, Lead Coder, Game Director, Lead Level Designer etc. are all ex-Funcom Montreal. Great developers every single one of them and people who know how to get shit done.
If Behaviour gives them the latitude to make the game they want it, it will be rock solid.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I actually played Scaler when I was younger. It was a stocking stuffer for christmas.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Production Update March 2014

Since the beginning of January the Eternal Crusade team has had to focus on prototyping and testing, and optimizing our precious preproduction time. This is a very important period for our game’s production where we are proving concepts, gameplay and technology. Basically a good preproduction is synonymous with a good production and at BEHAVIOUR, we are taking that part seriously. During this period our communication means have been disrupted, but as you can see with this Newsletter all is well and we are back online. About this I would like to introduce our new marketing and communications partner: TURBULENT. We are really happy with this new and friendly partnership with a solid and talented team working with us. TURBULENT has been working with us on StarCitizen for some time, and we look forward to fully bringing them on board.

There is a lot to say but before everything I want to thank MMORPG.com, the largest independent US Online Game media outlet, for their visit to our office, their great article and the pre-alpha preview and video. This helped us a lot, giving you fresh news about the game progress when our communication means were offline. Thanks again Garret for supporting our transparency approach and the “no Marketing Firewall” between fans and devs policy. These motivate us in showing you even more and please forgive us the inevitable bugs and glitches of such an early version of the game. Ghislain (our Art Director @ghislain_barbe) was crying while watching the videos but Miguel’s wisdom brought back some courage in his heart: “We are transparent or we are not Ghislain! What you see here on your screen is the proof of Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade’s transparency...”
On this subject, you need to know that Miguel is super active and engaged with the community. He is answering emails openly, chatting on Facebook, tweeting on twitter and starting threads on our forums. The dark side of our leader (the Carniguel or TyranoMiguel, your choice) would eat me alive if I don’t deeply thank our community members and guilds in this newsletter. You guys are awesome, so passionate and dedicated. As examples I can say that Vigila Mortis, with our devoted Crusader Valrak, has created an EC dev tracker regrouping developer discussions! We also have multiple guilds and groups rising and getting ready for the conquest of Arkhona.

With the upcoming new website, we have plans to release a guild listing, including how many StrikeForces (10 Squads) and Squads (10 players) they can muster on the field of Battle…. From the forums, we can see that a friendly competition has already started between some of the largest guilds.

Because of you, dear Crusaders, and the overwhelming demand, Miguel is on a mission since beginning of March. You convinced him that this is the way to go, so yes, we are going to have a founder program. Miguel is working closely with TURBULENT who will be in charge of setting up our Pre-Order founders Program store and our NEW ‘’real’’ website which we plan to launch this spring during E3.

On the game side we are making great progress. From paper design to concept art, or from grey boxing to 3D assets, we are creating YOUR world step by step. Everything you see here is “work in progress”. We are spending a lot of time iterating, testing and improving.

On the art side I would like to welcome Martin Spenard (Lead Artist @MartinSpenard) and Nicolas Cote (Concept artist) to the team. The Art team is doing an amazing job dressing our landscape, finalizing our Space Marine characters and creating buildings. You can appreciate Nicholas talent with the two pictures below.

newsletter_march2014_sketch01.jpg
newsletter_march2014_sketch02.jpg

The Level Design team has been stress-testing our processes and integrated some new tools that will help us build beautiful and diverse continents. Since late January, we’ve been creating the very first buildings of Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade. Even more exciting, Shawn Bauer has joined us as a second level designer, creating “combat scenarios” that we test daily. Our current top focus in Level Design is ensuring that the core gameplay is fantastic. Like Steven says: “The Level Design of Warhammer 40,000: Eternal Crusade is focused on two core experiences: of the individual and the army. For the individual, our buildings and outposts must offer a fantastic shooting and melee combat experience. For the army or the commander, our terrain, roads, and outpost placement must offer a fantastic strategic experience. “

newsletter_march2014_stevendesk.jpg

In parallel we are developing story, game design, level design, tech and visuals. A preproduction is a crazy period rich in emotions and creativity. If it is one the best part of any game project it is also really intense, so I am not too unhappy that we are close to be done with it. I will finally be able to get some rest.... or not..
On the following picture you can see a Raptor, a Chaos Space Marine and a Chaos Space Marine with Heavy Bolter (yes we know, but we need a temporary model to test with). This means we are already playing with three fully functional classes out of four.

newsletter_march2014_ingamecapture01.jpg

Outside of balance and load-outs, the synergy between classes is working well. Brent and his left brain Michael (on the Game design team Ezekielknight - @pulsemeat) are currently working on the fourth class: The Apothecary and.... I will let you guess what the Chaos counterpart is.

Did you notice the rhino? Well yes, this is what you think; it is working as a transport and mobile spawn point. You can already destroy the enemy’s rhinos or tank shock people to death. The gun on the transport is not functional yet, but I have Patrick’s (our Lead coder @lordpada) word this is going to be implemented soon..

Last point but not least, the ugly colorful grey-boxes structure in the background is our FIRST WORKING OUTPOST! You will find inside capturable objectives, spawn points, ammo stations, utility and defensive buildings... etc.

But all that wouldn’t be possible without the hard work of the tech team (see Patrick‘s Interview ). Keep in mind that behind each feature we’ve talked about there is a coder. The code team also spent a good part of their time working on the backend, stabilizing the engine and integrating Pikko server technology. Because of their efforts we had a successful 64+ player’s companywide test. That was lot of fun and people are already reserving their tickets for the next play-test.

newsletter_march2014_collision.jpg

There is also this rendering test with more than 300 Space marines and Chaos Space marines (without LOD optimisation).

newsletter_march2014_ingamecapture02.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So, it didn't show any possible gameplay, but rather what the developer wants.
Meh.

They're still in pre-alpha so it might be a while before they show more footage. Or maybe they'll keep releasing pre-alpha stuff for kicks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom