Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternal Crusade (WH40K MMO)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
- No space hulks, sorry. :)
- We choose the best fit approach, tooling will use a mix of C# and python while C,C++, action script and C# for the runtime.
- We were planning on using 1st person for sniping weapons and some zoom features but not really as a switchable mode in itself, sorry. Well, I cannot say we won't have that at one point but it is highly unprobable at launch.
- About the damaged aspect of the armor, we will see if the Gameplay ends up needing the Armor Damage visual first - We will need a specific visual to tell players that, let say, your armor is heavily damaged and you are vulnerable to the next hit (armor in our game might auto-repair itself overtime, this is one of our options). In that case, customizing your Armor as a damaged one might give the impression that you are vulnerable while you are not.

Personally, I would find it cool to have that old battle-worn armour that can I show proudly to other players - if we could have different types of damaged effects, then we could have a Temp one when your Armour is down and a different looking Permanent one that you can show off (the two could add up on top of each others when needed). Since we would like people to have a choice, I could clearly see the Damaged Version of your armour being awarded to you when certain Stats reach a specific point (i.e. an achievement). This would be an extra customization option.

Gerrard

Arcane
I skimmed over the stuff that is known so far and saw that only Orks will be available for free, is there any information on how will paying for the other sides work? Or just payment model in general.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ork boyz for F2P to simulate masses of retarded idiots. Then you buy the game and can play every faction+ork nobz.

Gerrard

Arcane
Oh. Yeah, I figured the idea behind it was something like that. I think it's a pretty interesting use of F2P.

Speaking as a canonfag, 40k cannot into a MMORPG. No way. No how. The concept alone is vile heresy and an abomination unto the Golden Throne. If there is any justice in the universe then the entire development team will contract a hideous wasting disease and die shitting out their own intestines much like this travesty is going to shit all over the 40k universe. Now if you gentlemen will excuse me I'm going to hug my Black Library novels and pretend none of this shit is happening.

Dunno if it's been already posted, will accounts be faction-locked?
I think not.

Why would a game even do that.

Don't know about now, but when I played WoW (early days, quit before 1st expansion) accounts were faction-locked relative to each server. You could still play both Horde and Alliance, but not on the same server (it seems like non-intanced PvP was a heavier emphasis at some point in its development, with little things like that and the complete block on communication between factions (Horde and Alliance both sound like gibberish to each other, encouraging you to view them as the 'other').

Quatlo

Arcane
Isn't Black Library just as faggy and idiotic when it comes to WH40k fluff?

It is, they are fun and good as toilet-read material but they hold true to the canon more or less on the level of your average holywood screenwriter. Even GW said that they are in no way canon and you should interpret them as if they were some sort of fanfiction written by someone in warhammer universe.
But who cares, 40k canon is already fubar.

As to the gameplay, it looks almost like Space Marine so far, its multiplayer was bretty good so if they are going to iterate and improve on that we can get something nice in the end.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Black Library is the Harlequin Romance of science fiction publishers.

Could be worse I suppose, could be like Eternal Hearts from The Masquerade (or better if you like that kinda thing. I was always disappointed that it didn't get too hardcore in it's sexual depictions of Sasha Vykos, other than his huge junk when he wasn't shapeshifting as a chick).

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Black Library is the Harlequin Romance of science fiction publishers.

Could be worse I suppose, could be like Eternal Hearts from The Masquerade (or better if you like that kinda thing. I was always disappointed that it didn't get too hardcore in it's sexual depictions of Sasha Vykos, other than his huge junk when he wasn't shapeshifting as a chick).
Mr Garrison wrote WoD literature?

Dr Tomo

Learned
Dunno if it's been already posted, will accounts be faction-locked?
I think not.

Why would a game even do that.

Don't know about now, but when I played WoW (early days, quit before 1st expansion) accounts were faction-locked relative to each server. You could still play both Horde and Alliance, but not on the same server (it seems like non-intanced PvP was a heavier emphasis at some point in its development, with little things like that and the complete block on communication between factions (Horde and Alliance both sound like gibberish to each other, encouraging you to view them as the 'other').

Think I posted a while back that they weren't since you have to purchase each faction separately and it was suggested in the interview. The only one that you can always play free is the Ork Boys, but the Eldar, Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, and higher tier Orks is gonna cost you $$$. They don't seem to want to restrict communication as and earlier interview stated that faction leadership can communicate with each other for temporary non-aggression pacts and stuff which is unofficial.

Quatlo

Arcane
I may play the devil's advocate here, but separate faction buy doesn't seem that bad idea to me. It may be good way to avoid players switching their races to current OP one.
In Planetside 2 there are three factions, every time alert pops up half of the server switches instantly to current flavour of the month (so they are called "fourth" faction) to zerg and faceroll other factions, ensuring easy, swift victory and free XP. You end up desperately defending last base while your faction commanders try to form some commando force who would steal few bases from the enemy without them noticing, or at least detouring them from their final goal. You don't play alerts to win them if you are not 4th faction, you play them to NOT allow 4th factioners to win it. Seriously, you even see how remaining 2 factions cease fire to do whatever it takes to stop that total domination. Joyeux Noel in the fictional future.

On the other hand, Etrnal Crusade devs have said the factions will be unbalanced in character power so it may fit the universe, unless you are going to be swarmed by more smurfs than orks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom