Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review English Risen Reviews are cropping up

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Translated from the most balanced review I have read:

http://www.areagames.de/artikel/detail/Risen/104681

Areagames.de wrote in the opinion summary:

"Even if it hurts my soul as a fan of the Gothic series: Risen is a creative and technical declaration of bancruptcy by the guys from Pirhana Bytes. Gothic Fans like me will have fun with the game again, but we all finished Gothic 2 at least three times. Probably I would play a direct Gothic 1 port on the Xbox 360 and still have fun. Considering this the trarget audience for Risen is clearly defined: Only those who played the Gothic iterations with a lot of pleasure will be able to overlook the out of fashion gameplay and technical layer of dust. However, we can only recommend the PC version, which covers the technical shortcomings a lot better. It is nice to see, but in reality just a basic necessity: The game runs on both the PC and the Xbox 360 nearly free of bugs and crashes to desktop. It only looks like a graphical alpha from 2004 on the 360. Even if we often criticized the lack of production value of some german productions lately, it is Risen, even on its day of release, that looks like a message from the past in the age of Fable 2, Mass Effect and the coming Dragon Age. We hope for the Pirhanas that they will have enough time, technical know-how and fresh ideas for their next project, or they will lose contact to the global gaming market for good. Like every root beer, even the Gothic substance loses its taste with every rehashing."

Nuff said.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Well, if Brennus says its balanced...

Es war schon ein Trauerspiel, als das langersehnte Gothic 3 im Jahre 2006 endlich in die Läden kam und von so vielen Bugs übersät war, dass nicht einmal die Starship Troopers ihnen hätten Herr werden können. Gegenseitige Schuldzuweisungen von Publisher JoWood und Entwickler Piranha Bytes konnten die Enttäuschung der Fans auch nicht lindern. Hierzulande kennt wohl jeder Videospieler die Konsequenzen aus der Geschichte: Beide Parteien haben sich im Streit getrennt und der Name einer großen Rollenspielreihe wäre um ein Haar niedergegangen.
Beginning of the review:
First states how buggy G3 was: True
Goes on to say how PB and JoWood blamed each other for the miserable state: false.

In fact PB acceptepted responsibility and even defended JoWood. Mentioning that they got several extentions and simply didn't manage to meat deadlines.

Then it claims that the name of a great RPG series nearly died under that quarrel: false.
The first Gothics were action-adventures, not RPGs. And the series did die. We have Risen now, not Gothic. JoWoods attempts and milking the franchise can hardly count a continuation of the series.

Stopped reading there. Was just curious as to what Brennus might call objective... He probably wrote it himself. /butthurt detected

Sir_Brennus said:
Translated from the most balanced review I have read:

http://www.areagames.de/artikel/detail/Risen/104681

Areagames.de wrote in the opinion summary:

"Even if it hurts my soul as a fan of the Gothic series: Risen is a creative and technical declaration of bancruptcy by the guys from Pirhana Bytes. Gothic Fans like me will have fun with the game again, but we all finished Gothic 2 at least three times. Probably I would play a direct Gothic 1 port on the Xbox 360 and still have fun. Considering this the trarget audience for Risen is clearly defined: Only those who played the Gothic iterations with a lot of pleasure will be able to overlook the out of fashion gameplay and technical layer of dust. However, we can only recommend the PC version, which covers the technical shortcomings a lot better. It is nice to see, but in reality just a basic necessity: The game runs on both the PC and the Xbox 360 nearly free of bugs and crashes to desktop. It only looks like a graphical alpha from 2004 on the 360. Even if we often criticized the lack of production value of some german productions lately, it is Risen, even on its day of release, that looks like a message from the past in the age of Fable 2, Mass Effect and the coming Dragon Age. We hope for the Pirhanas that they will have enough time, technical know-how and fresh ideas for their next project, or they will lose contact to the global gaming market for good. Like every root beer, even the Gothic substance loses its taste with every rehashing."

Nuff said.

Yeah, 'Nuff said'.

Apparently this game can't cut it in the age of Fable II, where you fart and dance like a goof until people like you.

Feel the complexity and new ideas!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is wrong with humanity: the microcosm.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Decline of UK:
http://www.gameon.co.uk/game/review/xbo ... 360-review

It’s fair to say that RPG’s are my genre.
Another part of the game which is completely infuriating is the levelling system. You have to fight hundreds of battles to gain levels. The even more annoying thing about this levelling system is once you level, you aren’t given any statistic boosts at all, you are handed some measly learner points.
:rage:

You have to pay 100 gold pieces for a stat boost of +1 strength, which means you have to rob literally everything in sight to afford it. The contents of someone’s treasure chest will typically only bring you 10 gold if you’re lucky so that’s a lot of pillaging.
Aren't reviews supposed to be accurate?

I really am struggling to say anything good about this game.

Pros:

* Voice acting was believable and sincere
* Potentially good storyline

Cons:

* Dated Graphics
* Poor character design, so bad its funny.
* Boring battle system
* Overly confusing menu system
* Lack of tutorials to explain confusing menu system
* Expensive leveling system
Moron.

Micmu

Magister
Damn. This "review" is so stupid it made VD use that retarded 4chan image macro, too.
FFFUUUU--

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
that was a good read, especially:

It feels like Risen has stolen parts of other successful RPG games such as Lionhead studios Fable 2 open ended fight for good or bad system, and Bethesda’s Oblivion’s well everything, just done badly.

* Dated Graphics
* Poor character design, so bad its funny.
* Boring battle system
* Overly confusing menu system
* Lack of tutorials to explain confusing menu system
* Expensive leveling system

To be fair, the Xbawkz version does look like shit. Supposedly its battle system is fucked up and forces you to lock onto targets while things rape you from behind. Controllers are also shit for navigating menus. Frankly, anyone reviewing the xbawkz version should be dismissed entirely. They are going to see the shitty graphics and instantly start trying to find reasons to hate the game. So just don't even bother posting any reviews of the shitty port.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Played the demo (which is really too short) and:

Terrible graphics
Too much hand-holding
They fixed Gothic 3's combat by going back to the Gothic 1 and 2 system of only fighting one enemy at a time. So that's not really fixing it, is it?
Story doesn't seem like much.
OK atmosphere, but it really needs GREAT atmosphere to make up for its shortcomings.

Not getting it, not even not removing it from inventory.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jaime Lannister said:
Too much hand-holding
It's a 15 min demo. What did you expect?

They fixed Gothic 3's combat by going back to the Gothic 1 and 2 system of only fighting one enemy at a time. So that's not really fixing it, is it?
You can hit multiple enemies with a single attack.

Story doesn't seem like much.
In a 15 min demo?

OK atmosphere, but it really needs GREAT atmosphere to make up for its shortcomings.
So far, the atmosphere and factions are pretty much the best I've ever seen in a game.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Vault Dweller said:
So far, the atmosphere and factions are pretty much the best I've ever seen in a game.
Factions in terms of player interactions/dynamics or in terms of how they're presented?

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Clockwork Knight said:
You have to fight hundreds of battles to gain levels.

I can sort of understand this if it takes too long to level for the sake of taking too long, forcing you to go on auto-pilot mindless grinding. But apparently it isn't that way, right (haven't played yet)

From what I've read here there's a ton of grinding after Chapter 1.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I haven't done any grinding. I didn't even think it was possible (some stuff just stays dead). I have done pretty much every quest and killed stuff to and from (which lessens with teleport stones), and I'm level 21 in Chapter 4. The game *is* difficult as hell at times which may make people think they need to grind and get levels (zomg xpssss). Although not sucking is just as viable.

I like the part about the digging up of treasure chests, though. As if you are supposed to complete a quest about a pirate's clues to buried treasure in some other fashion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Dicksmoker said:
She looks rapeable.

She looks like there's a reason the pic used a common trick angle. Below the neck, she starts ballooning out like the Staypuft Marshmallow Man.

She is also a jew. She also confirms the stereotype that "gurl-gamers" don't know jack shit about games, keep her away from doing reviews please. No really - Risen stole from Oblivion? Hahaha

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom