Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review English Risen Reviews are cropping up

Felix

Arcane
# About Angelfromabove

Girraffetastic!!!!!!!!!
Interests
Games re my biggest hobby, but i also like to drink copious amounts of alcohol with friends, listn to music and watch films. I suppose my job is my hobby to because i love being a nurse :)
Occupation
Nurse

# Game Related
Game Related

Consoles
Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PSP, Wii, Nintendo 64, DS / lite
Favourite Games
My favorite game of ll time would be Final Fantasy x.
Ifg not guessed by now am a huge FF fan :D
Also love other games such as Silent hill series, Soul Caliber, Rock Band, Left 4 Dead - has now entered in my favorites list :D And many many more.

No wonder, I heard that drink too much can damage your brain, now I'm sure.

Elzair

Cipher
GarfunkeL said:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RISEN/risen

No fear, GamersGate works. No intrusive Steam-client to worry about either AND you get to support Swedes, the liberal atheist sodomite children of vikings - what is there not to love?

:P

Thanks Garfunkel for not mentioning that in my thread so I ended up sacrificing my principles.

Seriously, I really should have read this thread to completion first.

Elzair

Cipher
BTW here is the (Google) translated version of the most balanced review

Clock 15:05 - console gamers know the Gothic series probably only from the stories of their PC friends who rave about for years, either from Gothic 1 a.m.-2 p.m. or made on the Bugfiasko and the following "publisher vs. developer" War of the Roses part 3 funny . Now the German developer Piranha Bytes to controls under the new flag of Deep Silver Risen with both PC and console waters and is therefore unfortunately properly bathe. Our test reveals the backgrounds of the shipwreck.
Building on our heritage

It was a tragedy, as the long-awaited Gothic 3 in 2006 finally came into the shops and littered with so many bugs was that not even the Starship Troopers would have them be able to master. Mutual accusations of publisher and developer Piranha Bytes JoWood did not ease the disappointment of fans, too. In this country we have all heard the consequences of the history of video gamers: Both parties have separated themselves in the dispute and the name of a great RPG series would have fallen by a whisker. Deep Silver, a label of Koch Media, Piranha Bytes was a new publisher for the was created in record time of just under two years, a new title: Risen to be the cornerstone of a new roll game series.

The World of Risen is in upheaval, which have after all the gods of the fantasy planet made of dust sprout everywhere in the world come to the mysterious temple of the ground, which ran from gay monsters and beasts, and the world flood. The increase in population not only ensures monsters falling property prices in the immediate environment of this temple, but also leads to smaller migration, which try to evade the residents to peaceful islands or tracts of land. The preferred means of travel are in the process vessels. Risen in a nameless hero is stranded after a shipwreck on an alien island. The island constitutes the entire game world and is divided into different zones: There is, in addition to a mandatory marshes also send palm trees in the port city, to subtly remind the fortress towns on the Caribbean islands or jungle-like vegetation and a huge volcano casts its shadow over the country. And the resident flora and usually hostile receives a slightly tropical touch and shows multiple: Spiny rat, wild boar, wolves, giant scorpions, lizards, and the thunder gorillaartigen Netherbeasts Waffenarm your request. Most specimens appear to be just like about 95% of the rest of gameplay directly from the Gothic sprung universe, a circumstance which we have devoted an extra box at the end of the test.

Not only in the Bundestag factions!

The island is dominated by three groups, which connect the player over time needs to. Since all were led by the Inquisition, which has its base in a volcano fortress and rule over the island. She is also the one who has draped a curfew and shall ensure that no one leaves the island. Then there are the wizards who dwell in the port city and have come to terms with the merciless Inquisition, but pursue their own plans. The robbers from the bandit camp, finally represent the freedom fighters in the world of Risen, who rebel against the yoke of the rulers. All the groups have rich contracts for the nameless, which can often be solved in different ways and thus lead to different rewards. To join a group that must be met for this particular task. The decision can also make it later undo if their missions completed for another party and thus rising again in their appearance. A membership exclusive benefits: Thus, for example, only supporters of the Mage Guild, the three attack spells (make fire, ice and magic! Learn). In addition, only they are able to create runes that can be used to spell repeat as often as everyone else have to rely on spell roles which they either receive a wage or looting, or produce them with the right ingredients and the necessary talent itself, But the blessing after a single use of the temporal.

Experience points to the master

New talent you must not assimilate with the respective teachers. There you can also improve your character's statistics. Both will cost gold and learning points. The latter will get her to Level up. The range of possible capabilities is versatile and useful again, but some veterans would also be very familiar. This allows the mineral-to-find talent everywhere degrade veins. Information derived from the raw materials it produces by forging weapons and armor make this time also, helmets and - by adding some stones - magical accessories that allow you individually your stamina improves as against stabbing weapons or fireworks. With knowledge of alchemy brews its delicious drink. Evisceration, it actually allows you hunted animal skins, bones, claws and the like lose weight, let the peddle to the prima nearest dealer. By Art Thieves and Dietrich, treasure chests can be opened for which you have just lost the key, of course. This applies to complete a mini game in which the direction buttons in the correct order to be pressed. Denied her, flute enters Dietrich. Alternatively, can also help direct pedestrians to their property if they manage to distract you for that. The locations of the masters and traders will be recorded in the logbook, which also all the relevant dialogue and mission objectives lists. Very comfortable: there is for most areas for a local map on which notes are also always the quest giver. Is a welcome innovation in the Gothic, uh, Risen universe.

Wild boars and wolves: The Scourge of the adventurer

To survive in this hostile environment that is experienced dealing with a medieval instrument of war is essential. The combat system is - how could it be otherwise assumed - also of Gothic, but refined. With the combination of mouse and directional buttons or analogue stick and A, B and Y buttons on the Xbox 360 controller blows from their various shares, blocking with your shield or weapon, you can nullify enemy attacks, and later a long combos and special attacks by Stack can be. But even these techniques will be taught only once during their master. Even if they have learned, of course, it still calls for the right timing. However, here also shows a typical weakness of the franchise: The Balacing. While fighting against human opponents, if necessary, also naked, armed with a branch gains can quickly bring a two wolves in distress. This is especially the fact that you can only block an opponent. Here are a kind of jumps Lock On feature one, but that only effectively attack a person, deflects or animal. The first 5-10 hours of play, therefore it is usually on the run from animal collections and tried his luck at the numerous missions in the human settlements. Only when one has earned the appropriate armor and weapons, you can also make longer trips into the wilderness and in the numerous temples.

Full power back: The technique of Risen

A large game world without Ladepausen, which certainly sounds tempting. Especially since quite a few Gothic-will give players who have dreamed of exploring the rough fantasy scenarios of piranhas once comfortable in the living room. What after the intro, already sprayed the spirit of the early 2000s, but then presented on the domestic flat screen, takes your breath away: The first can be seen almost nothing, which is not only because the game at night and storm begins, but because of the contrast set too low. Unfortunately, the game offers not, adjust the gamma value. Here are just a readjustment on the TV helps to herumzuirren into the dark caves not completely disoriented. The distance vision is better described as near vision, it is because everything that is more than 10 meters away from the game character will vermatscht either by blurring ", in trees or in the case of simple aufploppt mountains just visible in the background built up from nothing. Lie between a Fable 2 or Far Cry 2 on Xbox 360 and Risen felt five years of technical progress. Since there already is hardly in any more, which is noticeably cooked on the other areas on the back burner. Stones and walls are usually applauded by vast, muddy and low-resolution Simpeltexturen and among the characters seems to be only one handful of different models to give. Mostly Meet her on the same clones of the bearded pirate model, running around everywhere on the island. Among the women, there seems to be only two variants. Benefit must be considered, however, that the framerate is fairly constant, and that there is no visible tearing. Something. The speech may, however, as in the old Gothic-parts are referred to as a success, even if quickly notice that there are probably close to 10 speakers divided the 70-100 almost various NPCs among themselves. Since the PC version, but at the current PC looks noticeably better than the Xbox 360 version we evaluate the console version from about a point. The pure fun, however, is the same on both systems.

Risen vs.. Gothic: Deja vu on the running belt
With movies, they are known as a remake or homage known: editions film templates. With Risen Piranha Bytes clearly demonstrates that either themselves are the biggest fans of the Gothic world, or simply ideas and suffer from acute lack of innovation. In his Preview Mr John Krohn wrote a fix, "Why is something that is not broke?", But cloned as strong of Gothic Risen then we would not want it:

Story: The Nameless lands instead on an island in a vast open-air prison. Otherwise, he again finds the same various fractions, only mean that the inquisitors and the water now Paladins Mages have now moved to Universal magicians. Instead dragon hunters are found in the lawless bandits, and now the thief-for-profit group. The quest is over as usual. To be included in a group, have different tasks to be solved, which then give access to particular leaders. The quests are almost always variations of known functions of Gothic 1-3. Whether it involves the collection of information, spy on workers and the simple finding treasures and loot goes, veterans will never be surprised.

Gameplay: The controls, the distribution of experience points, the various talents (theft, alchemy, acrobatics), all of this was taken 1:1 from Gothic. The battle system has been expanded to include the capability of blocking and enhanced with some new attacks. The animations of the hero, especially when running and jumping but also acts as fresh from the year 2002 and is expected to Konsoleros, the Assassin's Creed are used to provide bursts of laughter.

Flora: Nearly all plants are known from Gothic to be found in Risen. Besides the known medicinal plants, herbs and Wurzler are again picking berries and mushrooms. The Statusverbessernden flowers are with us once again, being hot, of course, all different, but look almost the same. What used to be called the root or the dragon Ogerblatt, now has a different name but the same effect (eg Sträke +1). What was once made sense, now does sometimes unintentionally funny: This is still cultivated in swamps, cabbage, however, is brewed from the now rather obvious Rauchware suddenly beer.

Flora: Nearly all known from Gothic animals are also found in Risen, only the appearance has changed a little and got it in the exotic cases, new names. Pigs (wild boar) and wolves were virtually unchanged, blood flying moths are now grave, marsh sharks are now mine crawler worms and insects have wings.

All this familiarity may give us Gothic fans a pleasant feeling of familiarity, but there were Gothic fan modifications, the more courage to independence, when the in-house copy of Piranha Bytes. It was probably a mixture of tight schedule, a small team, and risk minimization, which moved Piranha to a gothic remake set up with a new name.

Pros and Cons
+ Provides all Gothic strengths (atmosphere, dialogue)
+ Motivating rise from nobody to hero
+ Almost bug free and stable
- Provides all Gothic weaknesses (Balancing)
- Xbox 360 version is technically out of date
- Noticeable lack of production value: Maximum of a handful of character models
Gothic Greatest Hits with the technology of 2002

Even though it hurts me as a fan in the soul of Gothic: Risen is a creative and technical bankruptcy of the guys from Piranha Bytes. Gothic fans like me will make the game fun again, but we've all played through at least three times Gothic 2. And I suppose I should also have a direct port from Gothic 1 play on the Xbox 360 and have some fun. Thus the target group of Risen, however, is also clearly defined: Only those who already have played through the Gothic-parts with pleasure, will forgive the re-edition Risen his old-fashioned gameplay and technical layer of dust. However, here is strongly recommended to the PC version, which can hide much better technical inadequacies. Gratifying, but in fact self-evident: The game runs on both PC and Xbox 360 crash and almost bug free. Unfortunately, it's just seen only on the 360 as a graphical version of the test in 2004. Even if we herummäkeln lately, unfortunately, very often the lack of production value of some German productions, it has Risen in times of Fable 2, Mass Effect and Dragon Age is already near future on the day of release as a message from the past. The piranha is therefore desirable that for her next project, with sufficient time, technical know-how and fresh ideas will be provided, since otherwise they will probably lose the final connection to the global games market. For even the Gothic-like substance loses herb beer with each new infusion significantly in flavor.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I went astray into the CD Action (the Polish gaming mag that featured the Dragon Age review) forum, and found a thread about Risen. Someone linked to the Eurogamer review, and some people said that the review looks like it was written by some frustrated dumbfuck, to which, of course, came white knights in defence that 'omg it's a review for the console version! Have YOU played the console version to state whether this review is good or not?!?!'.

One of the CDA journalists also posted in that thread. God-fucking-dammit. He basically said that 'The difficulty is frustrating and in no way fun! Risen should have never happened on the consoles, because someone comes home from work and turns on his console to chill out for an hour, and the last thing he needs is a game that will anger him senselessly! And it angers not only in the beginning - I'm now level 23 in act 4 with good weapons and armour and all the time on normal difficulty I meet foes that kill me in one-two hits, and they usually aren't alone. Phnom (one other journalist) plays on easy and he also dies often. The combat is based on chance too much, you can kill an enemy in one combo but he can also take you down in 2 seconds.'

32777-tactical_facepalm_super.jpg

If the guy wants to come home and chill for an hour, don't play the game he's come to realize is hard and won't hold his hand. Simple as that.

It's like every last bit of determination or resolve in these gamers has been sucked dry in the last couple years.

Shannow

Waster of Time
The pic could be awesome... if the stamp and the depicted scene actually had any connection. If the fat dude were giving a thumbs up or something similar. As it is text and picture aren't related and it sucks.
You should really re-do the picture with you giving a thumbs up and grinning retardedly, Morgoth. That would be full of win.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Elzair said:
GarfunkeL said:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-RISEN/risen

No fear, GamersGate works. No intrusive Steam-client to worry about either AND you get to support Swedes, the liberal atheist sodomite children of vikings - what is there not to love?

:P

Thanks Garfunkel for not mentioning that in my thread so I ended up sacrificing my principles.

Seriously, I really should have read this thread to completion first.

Haha, well, I don't check GD that often so... sorry, I guess? :D

Nael

Arcane
poocolator said:
Why is the fat guy naked while working on the computer?

How are clothes a requirement for fixing/building PCs?

I say... Hack on, fat geeky scrub!

Nael

Arcane
poocolator said:
I'm going to look for an excuse to open my box up naked... like dust or something. It's probably one of life experiences most people have never heard of.

It's a bit like cooking naked. Or pissing outdoors. Some people are just too "proper" for it. But those of that enjoy it feel slightly sorry for those who don't.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Static charge. If you are wearing polyester clothes, there is a slim chance that you might have enough static electricity in your body to damage a sensitive card when building your box.

Always be naked when building a box!

Felix

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
I went astray into the CD Action (the Polish gaming mag that featured the Dragon Age review) forum, and found a thread about Risen. Someone linked to the Eurogamer review, and some people said that the review looks like it was written by some frustrated dumbfuck, to which, of course, came white knights in defence that 'omg it's a review for the console version! Have YOU played the console version to state whether this review is good or not?!?!'.

One of the CDA journalists also posted in that thread. God-fucking-dammit. He basically said that 'The difficulty is frustrating and in no way fun! Risen should have never happened on the consoles, because someone comes home from work and turns on his console to chill out for an hour, and the last thing he needs is a game that will anger him senselessly! And it angers not only in the beginning - I'm now level 23 in act 4 with good weapons and armour and all the time on normal difficulty I meet foes that kill me in one-two hits, and they usually aren't alone. Phnom (one other journalist) plays on easy and he also dies often. The combat is based on chance too much, you can kill an enemy in one combo but he can also take you down in 2 seconds.'

32777-tactical_facepalm_super.jpg

Are they the ones claim Dragon Age is too hard ? Then it must be piss easy.
Total PC Gaming

Close to a new Elder Scrolls, but nowhere near as realised.

Oblivion, always Oblivion.......:x

feta

Novice
Ok, I seriously burnt out on this game since it hit the evil pirate lairs a couple of days before the official release date.

Yes, the 2 factions are actually very nice done. I usually exploit the living crap of such systems in all the games, but this one bitch-slapped me in the face and I ended up playing the first chapter for about 30 hours.
Some dialogue and the general feeling of the game lead me to believe the mages were originally intended as the 3rd faction. I remember a dialogue clearly saying "go with the don, or the monks and it will piss the opposing faction. If you want to stay neutral, work for the mage". This makes me have a sneaky suspicion that development was cut short.

Map-wise, what made the greatest impression on me is how large their world seemed despite the fact that it looks small from a "time to cross island" aspect. The areas are packed full of things to do, and they continually re-use the same areas in future chapters. I could say it's almost TOO tightly packed and with variety (but I won't, I liked it). Certainly a better approach than the vast stretched of nothingness the stupid "oh look, my map is bigger than yours" race has brought us. Big plus for the variety of landscape, they certainly made me inspect every single sq mtr of the land, and I can scetch you a pretty accurate map of the entire island by heart now. I don't believe that I could ever do something similar for another game.

The story: Excellent so far (I'm chapter 5). I saw things coming in ch 4 and kept looking for a branch in the story (was dissapointed, but I could just be stupid)

The pace: My gripe with the gothics still holds. Chapter one is a shining example of how involved and complex things must be in a game. Then you hit chapter 2 and it feels like a rollecoaster on the fast lane to the end-credits.

Replayability: Fk me, I already replayed port harbour 3 times and I don't believe I really got to do what I'd really like. I'd really like to see how the game would evolve based on my early choices. Some strange dialogues (that seemed like they belong to a different path in the game) made me rethink my initial "well, I haven't lost much by pissing off guy X now, have I?". Thankfully the jest spell only seems to work on people that you pissed off by stealing from them.

Performance: my highly underclocked XP 2.1/2gig/X800 (yes, I underclock because my system burns up all the time) played fine on med/low settings. I don't believe I've seen nicer graphics on my system at this framerate. I believe I noticed the stuttering problem that many people point out. It clearly is a bug, as I could quite quickly confirm it by talking to someone and all the voice would be gone. A game restart would fix that semi-annoying problem (once every like 5 hours of continuous gameplay).
CTD's: non-existent apart from a specific instance/room in the monastery.

The general feeling: very good game, definitely the best one this year (probably more). I get the feeling (again) that this was progressing as an artwork in development when PB realized (for like what? the 3rd time a row?) that they're way behind schedule and tried rush the rest of the story.

But they'll have to be able to put a lot of time into the game

despite sinking about 10 hours into the game

It's extremely slow to get going, and most people will lose their patience before it ever does.

shortest attention span ever

ITS TEN HOURS ALREADY, WHY ISNT THE GAME OVER Y-ooooh, shiny

Ten hours ain't much, but then you can beat any Silent Hill twice in that time, and I've seen people insisting they finished Risen in 25, being a slightly smaller game than any of the Gothics apparently. The notion that you've got to spend some twenty hours into a game until any kind of grand stuff even starts is just so wrong.

Risen being a niche title that still rather isn't compared to most games out there, this sounds the same rubbish now that plagues ever single adventure game forum, where they're getting all defensive and pull all the strings possible to make up an excuse for dialogue a reviewer thought was badly in need of editing, and so on. Because, like, if you don't like every single supporting character telling you the story of their life, their breakfast and then some, you're the kind of guy who'd rather spend his time blasting the crap out of demons in Doom, you just don't get it, you just don't like adventure games.

Basically, glowing reviews of any kind are fine, just as long as that special treatment is given to the right games, i.e. not anything from Bethesda or Bioware. I think for the PC version the reviews will stay positive on average, but that doesn't invalidate rather negative ones in any kind of way just for being that.

made

Arcane
Risen is one of the most complex games ever made:

Escapist reader said:
Also, it took me about ten minutes after sitting on a damn bench to figure out how to get up again
:(

bat_boro

Arcane
IGN review said:
Whether or not you'll enjoy Piranha Bytes' Risen really depends on what kind of gamer you are. Though this is a more humble and user-friendly product than Gothic titles past, it's still very much a hardcore role-playing game. If you're not willing to figure some things out for yourself and the idea of freedom of choice doesn't sit well with you, chances are Risen isn't going to mesh well with your gaming sensibilities. If you're a Gothic fan, however, this is an absolute must-buy. If you're familiar with the genre and are looking to take the next step into a mature, well-realized fantasy world, then this is it. Its combat system isn't the greatest and its pacing is inconsistent, but for those who put in the time to see all Risen has to offer, it's an experience that won't be forgotten.

Well, it's nice to see someone in the gaming press that actually got what the game is all about. Furthermore, it's a solid 8.6 from IGN and I didn't really expect them to rate the game so high because you know higher scores are reserved for truly dark and gritty RPG experiences this year

Felix

Arcane
The comment section still filled with retards as usual :lol:

Good review but I don't agree with IGN about combat though.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
IGN review comment said:
I am AMAZED this game got this good on here. Speechless. I played this on the 360 for ten minutes and in those ten minutes I found so many things wrong with it. It was the ugliest RPG I had played in a long time. The gui was crap, the animation was crap, the collision detection was awful, the robotic melee system was awful and the intro sequence lasted about 30 seconds and then threw you into the game. It was like the idiots guide of how NOT to make an RPG. One of the worst things about the game was the way you have to remember to click a button before the character is allowed to fight, so he goes into a combat stance, and stays this way until you deactivate it, so basically if you have fought all the baddies or whatever and there is items lying around to pick up, you wont be able to pick them up until you have deactivated combat mode - you can by all means walk over them, but you cant pick them up. Its honestly, a load of tripe.

Oh my

I played this on the 360

Coincidence? YOU DECIDE

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom