Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

Dhaze

Cipher
I have to say there is a huge number of unique portraits, many of which are attached to characters who have almost no importance whatsoever; so it's possible the devs wanted to have a unique portrait for every single character in the game. Especially given the fact that every character has his or her own name, rather than being called things like 'guard', 'merchant', or whatever.

But the description-not-matching-the-portrait affair is made even weirder by the fact that, from time to time, they do use somewhat silhouetted portraits:

G1M3XuT.jpg

And then, you have things like this:

gS3CB56.png

A cheerful housewife from a magazine cover? What the fuck, is this drowning under five layers of sarcasm, or lost in translation, or what? :lol:

On another topic, while ammo for High Tech weapons was as straightforward as can be—Weapon Power Cells for every weapon—the ammo situation for Heavy Weapons is... somewhat weird.

Princess – Tactical Rifle – requires Handgun Cartridge (ammo described as 'a standard pistol round' and crafted with pistol bullets)
Drakon – Machine Gun – requires Handgun Cartridge
Monarch – Machine Gun – requires Rifle Cartridge
Serp – Machine Gun – requires Assault Rifle Cartridge (ammo described as 'suitable for use in both rifles and pistols')

Also, while the ammo required by the Serp has, according to its description, a lower powder load and thus reduced range, at equal level/quality the Serp in fact seem to have the longest range amongst Machine Guns (though perhaps this changes with the latest quality upgrades?).

So basically, there's little rhyme or reason to the whole thing.

Oh and Weapon Repair kits are never used to repair weapons, whose condition does not degrade, but rather they are used to upgrade weapons.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Dhaze im afraid you aren’t going to get the response to your insights with encased that you did with mechajammer. Encased was decently played upon release and these faults fairly well documented.

The game is a middling failure, cause of death presumed to be insufficient vision and lack of spine. Next of kin: Fallout was recorded as refusing delivery of funerary urn.

Dhaze

Cipher
Ah, apologies if I'm only repeating what has already been talked about at length. I completely missed the train on Encased when it came out, and honestly I'm kind of enjoying poking fun at the weird quirks, so I had hoped another laggard like me was lurking about by coincidence and willing to join in on the fun.

You know what, I'll go back 30 or 40 some pages in this thread and pretend I'm included in the discussion; it'll have to do.

If it makes you feel any better I have a copy lying around but haven't played it yet. I may yet, although nothing in this thread is inspiring me to do so any time soon.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ah, apologies if I'm only repeating what has already been talked about at length. I completely missed the train on Encased when it came out, and honestly I'm kind of enjoying poking fun at the weird quirks, so I had hoped another laggard like me was lurking about by coincidence and willing to join in on the fun.

You know what, I'll go back 30 or 40 some pages in this thread and pretend I'm included in the discussion; it'll have to do.
For what it is worth I decided to wait for a couple of years to continue playing.
There were a couple of ridiculous moments like a fight with a retarded mutant in the sewers that I decided to wait until these dudes were as done with the game as they could be.

Ladonna

Arcane
If it makes you feel any better I have a copy lying around but haven't played it yet. I may yet, although nothing in this thread is inspiring me to do so any time soon.

Same here. I got it on sale ages ago, and seeing everyone saying it wasn't finished, left it on hold.

wishbonetail

Learned
There is no indication that at least some work is going on on this game. It seems that it will succumb to the same fate as Stygian.

Dhaze

Cipher

It's not the worst game ever. I'm enjoying it more than not. In fact I'd say it's not bad, with the problem being it's not particularly good either.

For starters, it runs well. With a 3GB 1060 and an i5 8400 I get a perfectly constant 60fps, with not a single crash nor even the slightest slowdown. Fast loading times on an SSD, too.

It also seems to be virtually bug-free. I've played a few dozen hours now, and during that time have seen a grand total of one bug: when on the ground floor of a cabin, extracting myself from my Servoshell, it somehow ended up on the roof of the cabin while I remained on the ground floor. That's it, that's the one bug; and I'm a jackal when it comes to finding the little bastards. I thought there was a bug with a few Perks, but after thinking about it I suspect their effects are just very poorly communicated to the player.

Though I poke fun at the weird, bizarre, possibly-lost-in-translation idiosyncrasies of the writing, there are some good bits of it and characterisation peppered all over the game. Even when simply travelling from point A to point B across the Dome map, there are little 'uneventful events' now and then, and I find a number of them interesting and well done. Though extremely minor to the point of inconsequence, one in particular I like and I'll paraphrase it in spoilers just in case you want to experience it for yourself:

"You're crossing the desert when a shrill scream as that of a banshee rises abruptly then die as so, remaining in your ears longer than in the air."

You can choose to do nothing about it, prudently deciding that whatever the reason for that scream you prefer to not get involved or even know why it came to be. Or you can choose to search the vicinity—and you find nothing.

That's it. Nothing more to it, aside from building the atmosphere a bit. Of course you can and possibly do find that stupid, but honest to god I find that cool, and it's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking about back when the first Fallout came out and I was traveling Southern California. Not everything must lead to a quest needs solving. The circumstances under the Dome are alien, and that scream might have been conjured by your character's imagination, possibly due to Maelstrom's psychic influence, or it might be that a caravaneer was being devoured alive by deranged Fops; whatever the case, you won't know and it simply happened.

The one big, unambiguous and unforgiveable problem of the game being that is distinctly unfinished. Not that chunks of the game aren't there, as is often the case with games being developed these days; rather it feels like pretty much every quest line, every character, every place that needs to be there is there, but tiny end bits of it are systematically missing.

The best analogy I can find is that of Frank Costanza's famous move: Stopping Short! Overall it feels to me the first 80-95% of the work is done, but there's always that last line, that last option or bit of interaction that's missing. And it's very frustrating.

Mods will fix it!

You're kidding, but earlier you rightly pointed out that the game could be modded into betterness if only it was actually complete, and I would be keen to tinker with it, were that the case.

Combat for example. The framing is there. But everything from the AP costs to damage values to effects-on-hit are in dire need of tweaking. And I don't want to involve myself for the benefit of a weirdly unfinished game whose developers have already stopped supporting.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
I was half kidding. You are right, certain aspects can be fixed without too much of a problem, but I would not ask any modder to basically finish the second half of the game where I dare say you could triple the number of NPCs and quests and it would still feel bare bones just less so.

pm_675

Arbiter
So after a 10 month gaming hiatus I'm thinking of finishing the game. Are there any mayor updates or DLC coming soon? Or is the game abandoned? Any mods?

Dhaze

Cipher
I was half kidding. You are right, certain aspects can be fixed without too much of a problem, but I would not ask any modder to basically finish the second half of the game where I dare say you could triple the number of NPCs and quests and it would still feel bare bones just less so.

Absolutely. That's why I'm getting major Wasteland 2 vibes: huge areas with almost no one in them.

So after a 10 month gaming hiatus I'm thinking of finishing the game. Are there any mayor updates or DLC coming soon? Or is the game abandoned? Any mods?

The game was last updated a few months ago and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any more updates in the works, nor planned DLC. Also, no mod to speak of.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
still havent even installed and tried this game, but i bought it in early access.

should I play it now? or waittt???

Play it now as it is largely complete. Although some areas are definitely not as fleshed out compared to others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom