Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

ropetight

Savant
This game is mediocre-at-best. Well, it has great graphics, bugs are tolerable, but overall it is a game that in theory I should like a lot as I love Fallouts, Arcanum and Prelude to Darkness. However, somehow this game incorporates a lot of Fallout mechanics and is clearly inspired by it in world design and gameplay, yet manages to be bland and boring. It follows the checks of what should be in a Fallout-like game, but execution is inferior and lifeless. Despite attempting to push through with it, the game discouragingly bore me. This thread is almost 100 pages long so I guess some of you enjoy it, and I don't want to be critical too much, so I you haven't played it yet and it gets on a good sale you might give it a try, but don't expect anything more than a mediocre game imo.
Encased starts great and built hype like few games in the last 10 years or so.
It raised my expectations for it be at least in the same conversation as the greats of the genre.

But Encased fizzled fast after leaving the tutorial dome area into more or less random references, poor level design and TODO scaffolding that never came to be.
Bitter example that often couple of hours of gameplay is not enough to have right feeling about quality of game.

Last edited:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
finished this
5.5/10

its good for the intro and for the some of act 1 but it falls off hard after that. a little obtuse/annoying/lost in translation at times.
combat is silly cheesable with stealth and fatigue damage. they didnt scale fatigue HP with levels, so if you have a dart gun you can just shoot them once or twice and run away or skip turns and then stomp on them until they die once they're KOed. viable for almost all the combat in the entire game, no matter what level.

still it was pretty engaging, lots of random events, some decent exploration, some good ideas there, just that the entire package is not it. ok for one playthrough if you focus only on main quest, about 25h. not bad, just very mid.

Modron

Arcane
The game is clearly incomplete. The big city you get access to is completely empty.
All of the post early access content is incomplete, the commie military warehouse only has what one quest that sends you there to get an item and a single conversation with their leader, the big city has at least a number of quests within it, and the science faction settlement is a bit more fleshed out than either of those two. Still almost as complete as a modern Larian game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom