Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

A user named cat

Is Steambot Chronicles playable yet on PCSX2? That game is the only one I've consistently found to be unplayable on it. Under hardware renderer the graphics were indescribably horrible and under software renderer the graphics were mostly fine but the game ran horribly, and even then, people with good enough rigs to get a decent framerate have reported it being unplayable due to events not properly firing and some NPCs missing.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Steambot-Chronicles

Try this:
Config -> video -> plugin settings

Tick enable hardware hacks

Open the config for that

Tick Enable aggressive CRC

Note in the description how it says "Works as a speedhack for: Steambot Chronicles"

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Can someone give me good ps2 keyboard bindings? I want to play SMT: Nocturne again. I never completed it the first two tries.

A user named cat

Can someone give me good ps2 keyboard bindings? I want to play SMT: Nocturne again. I never completed it the first two tries.
Why would you even attempt to use a keyboard? Get a usb gamepad, adaptor to plug in a real controller or a 360 controller for Windows. Then you can use Pokopom.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you even attempt to use a keyboard? Get a usb gamepad, adaptor to plug in a real controller or a 360 controller for Windows. Then you can use Pokopom.
Check your gamepad privilege.

But seriously, I thought I lost my gamepad but I found it earlier. I use Lilypad.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just experiment around with key bindings, really, and find the one you're comfortable with. Personally I use the numpad keys for movement/camera and some variations of ZXCASD for individual actions/menus for pretty all emulated games. I have no problems playing action RPGs that way, nevermind turn-based ones like SMT Nocturne.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
But seriously even if you've never owned a console in your life, if you're planning on engaging emulation, buying a gamepad is a good idea. More specifically, buying an original Playstation or xbox(I don't like the feel of this one, but whatever, it's solid) controller is an even better idea. I've owned a shitload of joysticks/gamepads since the early 90s and the only ones still standing are my awesome antique pac-man joystick (tear of nostalgia) and an old, original PSX controller and that's the one I use for the PC.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
But seriously even if you've never owned a console in your life, if you're planning on engaging emulation, buying a gamepad is a good idea. More specifically, buying an original Playstation or xbox(I don't like the feel of this one, but whatever, it's solid) controller is an even better idea. I've owned a shitload of joysticks/gamepads since the early 90s and the only ones still standing are my awesome antique pac-man joystick (tear of nostalgia) and an old, original PSX controller and that's the one I use for the PC.
I have some shitty logitech gamepad that gets the job done, though the analogue sticks are terrible. I have a couple of ps2 controller that would be nice to use, just have to get an adapter that would enable me to use them with a pc.

A user named cat

You can get those adapters for dirt cheap nowadays. I have one similar to this but it also lets you plug in N64 controllers.

A user named cat

There's one special thing I love in Retroarch - the original Gameboy graphic filter that finally brings back to these games their proper look:
Gb.png

Damn, why haven't I heard about it earlier :/
I was checking this out earlier and yeah it's pretty cool. Problem is all that green when playing fullscreen because a total eyesore especially when you're close to the monitor. If you go into "...Shaders\handheld\gameboy" you can tweak some things. There's a guide for it here

I slightly modified the grid and contrast, and also changed the palette to match Game Boy Pocket because it's much easier on the eyes for extended playing.

(excuse the bezel, just something I slapped together temporarily)

EhJCQUU.jpg

c5lMhtS.jpg

6vYjg2M.jpg

A user named cat

Alright I made a better bezel that matches the Game Boy border, no more blinding whiteness.

GVtgmoR.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Wasn't there a big deal a while back about how they had the encryption keys for the PS3 at the deepest levels? I always figured emulation would follow from something like that.

deuxhero

Arcane
And now, according to the thread I linked, the game look fully playable, no sound and 10 FPS, but playable.

A user named cat

Is that particular to desmume or is it a feature of DS games in general?
I don't have a real DS to test but Desmume is the only emulator I've encountered that does this and it's quite irritating. Usually when a game stutters - be it in other emulators or even PC games - the audio will skip and fps dips. But in Desmume, the screen just jerks and jitters randomly despite a constant 60fps. Vsync seems to have no effect so I can't figure it out. It may have something to do with how the emu handles framerate limiting and how it plays with particular hardware, I don't know.

Edit: nevermind. I seem to have minimized the jittering a ton somehow. I think maybe setting the view to "Always on top" helped a lot for some reason. Still think it stems from the emu not running in true fullscreen but whatever, this is much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

spekkio

Arcane
Well, we can always count on company hacking its own console, like Sega did with Dreamcast (supposedly). Right? :(
Also: with PS3/PS4/Pita and 3DS having like 10-20 "decent" games altogether, emulation isn't such a cool thing like it was in PS1/PS2 era (many interesting games, in genres not present on PC).

:cry:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is Steambot Chronicles playable yet on PCSX2? That game is the only one I've consistently found to be unplayable on it. Under hardware renderer the graphics were indescribably horrible and under software renderer the graphics were mostly fine but the game ran horribly, and even then, people with good enough rigs to get a decent framerate have reported it being unplayable due to events not properly firing and some NPCs missing.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Steambot-Chronicles

Try this:
Config -> video -> plugin settings

Tick enable hardware hacks

Open the config for that

Tick Enable aggressive CRC

Note in the description how it says "Works as a speedhack for: Steambot Chronicles"

Finally tried this out on the latest build and it actually works. Sorta. Still a good bit of graphical glitches, some minor and some serious (the screen turns black during some menus), but it's finally at least playable.

It's an... odd game. The controls are clunky (especially for your 'Trotmobile'), there are some really weird dialogue choices (like at one point you can reflect on what's happened up to that point, you get to choose what he remembers happened, including shit that never happened, which isn't brushed off with "No, that isn't right"), and the MC ends up joining a musical troupe. Despite all that, though, the game so far plays it all completely straight.

All that said, it's an oddly enjoyable game. I've read that the game later branches, allowing you to either play the hero and save the day or become a villain and help out the antagonists. Also: waifus.

Whether or not this game actually manages to bring all those strange bits into a coherent whole remains to be seen.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I just installed win7 in my machines, another glorious XP castle has fallen.

Time to get assimilated by next gen, spekkio.

:popamole:

Fuck, I hate installing windows and reconfiguring everything... :negative:

spekkio

Arcane
Hey, ghostdog - should I go with x32 or x64 - as long as 32 = bigger compatibility with older software (which isn't true AFAIK)?

:(

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only additional compatibility you get with 32bit is for 16bit programs, but 99.5% of the time you're already using Dosbox for those anyways.

spekkio

Arcane
Ragequit Rayman Origins due to trial and error / timed gameplay + rare savepoints.

Launched Wii version via Dolphin (quicksaves).

:popamole:

xM4mNMF.jpg

683857_m.gif

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Just install Win7. As for 32 or 64-bit, it all depends on the amount of RAM you got. If you got at least 4 Gb, then there's no reason to cripple your computer furthermore than you do now with XP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom