Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Eyeball

Arcane
Actually, I was wondering if anyone had any experience emulating these particular games on modern PCs and with what degree of success. There is also a PSP version of UFC 2010 - any idea if that will Work?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about PS2 - how about the latest great release of the PCSX2 (that was 1.2.0 or something like that)? Especially in performance.
Wanted to try it by myself but lately my notebook catched heating problem that even ancient games have framerate problems...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Emulation of most PS2 games is pretty accurate with PCSX2 and with decent performance.

I have an ancient 2.66 Core2Duo, a good ol' ATI Radeon HD 4800 and on top of that winXP and I can emulate most games with pretty good results and with upscaled graphics, enhancements and shit.

As far as PSP goes, PPSSPP seems to be the best. It's not as competent as PSCX2 is for PPS2, but it's getting better.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Speaking about PS2 - how about the latest great release of the PCSX2 (that was 1.2.0 or something like that)? Especially in performance.
Wanted to try it by myself but lately my notebook catched heating problem that even ancient games have framerate problems...

Your safest bets are FF and Persona games considering the emulator was pretty much made to emulate those. Running in software mode works for most games, but it'll look like ass on modern monitors. You can also look through the PCSX2 wiki for compatibility and specific reports on games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Well, I've finished MGS3, Shadow Hearts, ICO, Shadow Of The Colossus, Dragon Quest V, Digital Devil Saga and Tenchu without too much trouble in hardware mode. Of course you need to fiddle with specific settings for some of them.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How well did MGS3 run for you? I remember trying it last year and had constant speed problems, especially during cutscenes.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
MGS3 had slowdowns at certain points, but nothing major, IIRC.

Anyway, my settings were :
Code:
GSDX.ini :
=======

[Settings]
UserHacks_MSAA=0
UserHacks_AlphaHack=0
UserHacks_HalfPixelOffset=0
UserHacks_SpriteHack=0
UserHacks_SkipDraw=0
UserHacks_WildHack=0
UserHacks_AggressiveCRC=0
UserHacks_AlphaStencil=0
UserHacks_DisableCrcHacks=0
Adapter=default
Renderer=0
Interlace=7
AspectRatio=0
upscale_multiplier=3
filter=2
paltex=0
logz=1
fba=1
aa1=0
nativeres=0
resx=1024
resy=1024
extrathreads=0
ShadeBoost=1
UserHacks=0
ShadeBoost_Contrast=55
ShadeBoost_Brightness=50
ShadeBoost_Saturation=56

PCSX2_vm.ini :
==========

[EmuCore]
CdvdVerboseReads=disabled
CdvdDumpBlocks=disabled
EnablePatches=enabled
EnableCheats=enabled
ConsoleToStdio=disabled
HostFs=disabled
BackupSavestate=enabled
McdEnableEjection=enabled
MultitapPort0_Enabled=disabled
MultitapPort1_Enabled=disabled
[EmuCore/Speedhacks]
EECycleRate=1
VUCycleSteal=1
fastCDVD=disabled
IntcStat=enabled
WaitLoop=enabled
vuFlagHack=enabled
vuThread=disabled
[EmuCore/CPU]
FPU.DenormalsAreZero=enabled
FPU.FlushToZero=enabled
FPU.Roundmode=3
VU.DenormalsAreZero=enabled
VU.FlushToZero=enabled
VU.Roundmode=3
[EmuCore/CPU/Recompiler]
EnableEE=enabled
EnableIOP=enabled
EnableEECache=disabled
EnableVU0=enabled
EnableVU1=enabled
UseMicroVU0=enabled
UseMicroVU1=enabled
vuOverflow=enabled
vuExtraOverflow=disabled
vuSignOverflow=disabled
vuUnderflow=disabled
fpuOverflow=enabled
fpuExtraOverflow=disabled
fpuFullMode=disabled
StackFrameChecks=disabled
PreBlockCheckEE=disabled
PreBlockCheckIOP=disabled
[EmuCore/GS]
SynchronousMTGS=disabled
DisableOutput=disabled
VsyncQueueSize=2
FrameLimitEnable=enabled
FrameSkipEnable=disabled
VsyncEnable=disabled
ManagedVsync=disabled
LimitScalar=1.00
FramerateNTSC=59.94
FrameratePAL=50.00
DefaultRegionMode=ntsc
FramesToDraw=2
FramesToSkip=2
[EmuCore/Gamefixes]
VuAddSubHack=disabled
VuClipFlagHack=disabled
FpuCompareHack=disabled
FpuMulHack=disabled
FpuNegDivHack=disabled
XgKickHack=disabled
IPUWaitHack=disabled
EETimingHack=disabled
SkipMPEGHack=disabled
OPHFlagHack=disabled
DMABusyHack=disabled
VIFFIFOHack=disabled
VIF1StallHack=disabled
GIFReverseHack=disabled
FMVinSoftwareHack=disabled
[EmuCore/Profiler]
Enabled=disabled
RecBlocks_EE=enabled
RecBlocks_IOP=enabled
RecBlocks_VU0=enabled
RecBlocks_VU1=enabled
[EmuCore/TraceLog]
Enabled=disabled
EE.bitset=0
IOP.bitset=0

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I bought a Nintendo 64 controller adapter for my livingroom PC, and it works perfectly. Been playing through Ocarina of Time (never owned this game as a kid [and I've been struck by the lack of handholding so far, they sure don't make them how they used to]).

Anyways, I was wondering if it's possible to hack 64 games into being widescreen and if it's worth doing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The PS2 remakes on PS3 are basically upscaled versions of the exact PS2 games. No new textures/models, no new content. You can easily produce better results with PCSX2.

It's amusing how Sony first removed the downwards compatibility to PS2 and afterwards they're selling them the same games as PS3 "HD remakes".
What, full screen cutscenes in MGS2 aren't enough of an upgrade for you? :M

Eyeball

Arcane
Managed to get UFC Undisputed 2010 for PSP working using JCPSP emulator with some really good performance. Fun enough game, I recommend it for MMA nerds.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
The original xbox never had a fully working emulator, right? It might be the same case here, though that could change way down the line.

tuluse

Arcane
The original xbox never had a fully working emulator, right? It might be the same case here, though that could change way down the line.
I think this was mostly due to lack of interest since it's a Pentium 3 and pseudo Geforce 3 it should be easy to emulate.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I think this was mostly due to lack of interest since it's a Pentium 3 and pseudo Geforce 3 it should be easy to emulate.
Eh I've heard of people trying to get it working for years but they never had any real progress. I found this forum talking about it.
http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=22534

spekkio

Arcane
And why should we prefer PS2 versions over PC versions? There are some compatibility problems or sth?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
IIRC they are somewhat unstable in the PC, especially SR2. Also PCSX2 has widescreen hacks.

A user named cat

So anyone tried LOK : Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance in PCSX2 ?
I haven't but I did play a bit of Soul Reaver 1 with NullDC the other night and it was fine. Does that count?

Nah but really I imagine they're fine in PCSX2. They really need more playtesters to fill out the compatibility wiki though. There aren't many major problems left in the emu that I know of. Some games just require tinkering and HW hacks, Rogue Galaxy comes to mind and a few others that need offsetting since they're misaligned in the game window. Wish they'd fix that.

On an unrelated note: finally have a complete no-intro Nintendo DS rom set, lot of work and pretty huge. So much shitware I'll never play. If only DeSmuME didn't kind of suck, author seems like a blame-everyone-else dick who cannot into proper syncing or true fullscreen. Results in some games randomly jittering when scrolling which he labels as being ''accurate''. Except if you run the DeSmuME core through RetroArch, games are perfectly smooth but you don't get touch control.

Last edited by a moderator:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is Steambot Chronicles playable yet on PCSX2? That game is the only one I've consistently found to be unplayable on it. Under hardware renderer the graphics were indescribably horrible and under software renderer the graphics were mostly fine but the game ran horribly, and even then, people with good enough rigs to get a decent framerate have reported it being unplayable due to events not properly firing and some NPCs missing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom