Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I use Retroarch for a couple of reasons:

-to try to consolidate all my 16 & 32 bit emulators into one with full, preconfigured controller support and proper aspect ratios and viewports. Also, I was surprised that the best Sega CD/Genesis emulator didn't have standalone Windows versions but can be used with RA cores under windows.

-shader support. Otherwise, Retroarch is kind of a pain in the ass maintained by mostly dickheads, or so I heard.

Note: the LRPS2 PS2 core runs fine on my i9/RTX 3070 rig but I'd likely use the standalone emu because of its updated nightly builds.

Last edited:

Vyadhis

Learned
Was shocked that the latest version of everyone's favorite user-hostile emulator/frontend Retroarch (which I downloaded this week after not having updated it in years) currently has no working PS2 core.
what he said. retroarch ps2 core is a really outdated waste of time and a buggy mess. retroarch is fine up until dreamcast, but after that don't bother.
1. If I have legit PS3 controllers with touch sensitive buttons how do I enable them for games like MGS2 and 3? I really don't want to buy the ~*ReMaStEr~* that won't even the funny Ape Escape tie ins.
it was possible on the older versions that still used plugins, you needed a custom version of lilypad or something or other, but it isn't doable anymore afaik.
just rebind it things to analog triggers, play HD in RPCS3/xenia or wait for the new one and hope it doesn't have denuvo so you can pirate it or something.
I'm just going to download the ps3 version and hope it runs well enough on my 3900x/2070 super. I'm really sick of DRM and steam in general.

I use Retroarch for a couple of reasons:

-to try to consolidate all my 16 & 32 bit emulators into one with full, preconfigured controller support and proper aspect ratios and viewports. Also, I was surprised that the best Sega CD/Genesis emulator didn't have standalone Windows versions but can be used with RA cores under windows.

-shader support. Otherwise, Retroarch is kind of a pain in the ass maintained by mostly dickheads, or so I heard.

Note: the LRPS2 PS2 core ruins fine on my i9/RTX 3070 rig but I'd likely use the standalone emu because of its updated nightly builds.
This is why I prefer retroarch too. Also the shaders are way better than reshade.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
i need RA to play Japanese PS 2 Games + OCR

Nothing else compares with Google Lens integration. The translations there are alternatives but there is simply no alternative to good OCR software

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It seems very weird to me that you use 60hz on the desktop if you have access to 120hz - responsiveness is a big deal for me and I can't go back to 60hz at all. Just keep 120hz with G-sync enabled and limit your framerate to 117fps globally with RTSS.
I was doing it to conserve energy when I wasn't gaming (which is most of the time) but I figure the reduced power savings cost is minimal so why even bother? I'm using 120 Hz all the time now. I'm startled by how fast Quake source ports like Ironwail play at 120 FPS/Hz on VRR/Gsync displays and could never go back to 60 Hz for these types of games.

Vyadhis

Learned
How's the switch emulation sphere looking? I own Zelda but my eyes have gone to shit so its hard for me to see the screen anymore and the performance on a tv is trash. Would love to play something like BOTW/TOTK or Xenoblade on my pc.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
How's the switch emulation sphere looking? I own Zelda but my eyes have gone to shit so its hard for me to see the screen anymore and the performance on a tv is trash. Would love to play something like BOTW/TOTK or Xenoblade on my pc.
It does the thing with some minor glitches. You need a somewhat beefy PC.

Vyadhis

Learned
On the subject of MGS2-3 emulation and pressure sensitive buttons, I DID find this but I haven't tried it yet. About to I just need to find where I've put my ps2 emulator folder and bioses.

https://imgur.com/a/qJK2ftO

Puukko

Arcane
It's very good, generally you can trust most major releases to be entirely enjoyable with occasional minor glitches. Both Yuzu and Ryujinx have their merits (and saves can be safely transferred between them) depending on the game. Xenoblade DE is the easiest of the series to run but you will want something reasonably recent and beefy, I'd say Ryzen 5000 series/Intel 10th for a good experience. Older than that may be doable but you may need to stick to 30 fps. Can bump up the resolution or check out fan patches for an fps unlocker and the like, this greatly varies depending on the game and they're scattered across Gbatemp/personal githubs/etc.

BotW for the longest time was recommended to be played on Cemu (Wii U emulator) but afaik that may have changed?

Last edited:

soutaiseiriron

Educated
BotW for the longest time was recommended to be played on Cemu (Wii U emulator) but afaik that may have changed?

4mo old but doesn't look like it and i dont think they made a 75% performance improvement in those 4mo
cemu also had built in easy mods to get a 60fps patch going since patches and mods are built in. also doubt that you could get any sort of gyro aim on the switch emus, which is pretty easy on cemu.

flyingjohn

Arcane
For anybody wondering, PS2 online is easy to setup with pcsx2:

The biggest problem is that the least popular games(ratchet) pretty much require discord to setup arranged games because public matches are practically dead.

beardalaxy

Novice
Should add simple64 to the N64 section. It's accurate and doesn't require messing around with plugins.
Project64 should really only be used on lower powered or older Windows devices and for some mods.

Retroarch sucks. The menus are horrible. The only reason to use it is if you are locked into it based on your system (it's the best experience on Switch, for instance). I really prefer using individual emulators which have easy to use UIs and it's all accessible from my mouse in the form of checkboxes and dropdowns. There is a lot of drama with Retroarch from a few different developers, and there is also the problem of some cores becoming outdated or having their own compatibility issues.

In general, I think that using one emulator with a bunch of different cores to emulate a lot of different systems is inherently a bad idea that comes with a lot of downsides, just for the one upside of "convenience." In reality, the issues I have run into with Retroarch have caused more annoyance than just running individual emulators. If you really must use a consolidated emulator like that, I would recommend BizHawk over RetroArch simply because the UI is standard and not forced into that weird XMB layout.

A few years ago I made a little emulation box and used Steam ROM Manager to incorporate all of my games into Steam Big Picture. If all you are looking for is a frontend, then Steam really gets the job done. You can search, sort games by platform and genre, etc. It takes a little bit more setting up than something like Retroarch does, but the end experience is so much less clunky. I can also recommend LaunchBox, though you'll have to pay for the "big picture" equivalent and it can be pretty pricey. For that reason, I went with Steam ROM Manager, and it worked swimmingly. A lot of the process was automated where I just had to drag and drop my ROM files and it grabbed all of the necessary game information for me, as well as arguments for launching the standalone emulators in full screen. I really liked having the ability to manually decide how each of my Gamecube/Wii games were configured with Dolphin's advanced configuration files, alongside cheats that would remain static for each game like Widescreen patches. Again, it took more work to set up initially than something like Retroarch would, but the end result was a much smoother experience that was so dead simple that my mom could figure it out.

For anybody wondering, PS2 online is easy to setup with pcsx2:

The biggest problem is that the least popular games(ratchet) pretty much require discord to setup arranged games because public matches are practically dead.

The definitive way to play Ratchet Deadlocked and Up Your Arsenal is through Horizon. It's a private server for those games, and they even have a PC client that uses PCSX2 for the backend and Unity for the graphics rendering and some other nice features like KBM support.

4mo old but doesn't look like it and i dont think they made a 75% performance improvement in those 4mo
cemu also had built in easy mods to get a 60fps patch going since patches and mods are built in. also doubt that you could get any sort of gyro aim on the switch emus, which is pretty easy on cemu.

It definitely is still better to play Breath of the Wild on CEMU just because of the huge performance difference as well as modding being more popular on Wii U, if that's something you want to do.
However, the Switch emulators do support gyro control and have for a few years.

Something else worth mentioning is that there was never any problem with the Wii common key in Dolphin and Nintendo never issued a DMCA. What actually happened is that Valve asked Nintendo if they were okay with Steam having a release of Dolphin, and Nintendo said no while citing DMCA. Valve probably did this because they have a great relationship with Nintendo, especially right now, and they don't want to do anything that would disturb that relationship. If there was something actually wrong with Dolphin, why has nothing happened to it all of these years? There is no legal ground Nintendo has to stand on, and they have often used their relationships with companies to enact takedowns even when one wouldn't hold up. Nobody wants to go against Nintendo though, because of how much of a giant they are in the industry. It's scare tactics, essentially. The same thing happened to Project M, a popular mod for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, with Nintendo threatening Twitch due to them allowing the mod to be streamed on their platform. There was never any official takedown notice or cease and desist served to the dev team.

You can read more about the whole debacle on the official Dolphin blog: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2023/07/20/what-happened-to-dolphin-on-steam/

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
BROs,

To commemorate upcoming 10th anniversary of disso treddo, OP has been slightly declined.

:incline:

IMO people (recently beardalaxy for example) shouldn't worry that much about OP's contents ("BRO, IMO emu X should be replaced with emu Y").
  • l33t people don't need this list, since they choose and use emus on their own. For various reasons. "Retroarch has shitty UI" (no, we discussed this 9000 times - it's a multiplatform software with a gamepad-based UI), "standalone emus are more up to date / accurate" (yeah, obviously - so what? another thing discussed multiple times ITT, among plenty reasons to use RA over standalone emus),
  • Casuals are too stupid to use ANY emu anyway (proof by prominent 'Dexer ITT).
Ultimately, it's just a list of "shit I like and recommend" in the end. And I'm not that active in the emulation area as I was in the past. I simply played every game I wanted from older consoles.

Last edited:
It's 2023. Emulation for SNES, Saturn, PS1, PS2, etc, has long since been solved and optimized, and extraordinarily powerful hardware is now very affordable. I don't think GTX 1080 Titans are even being made anymore. You usually do not need to have the absolute latest release of an emulator to get noticeably better performance unless it's for a recent platform like the Switch and you're trying to play Xenoblade at higher resolutuons.

Saturn emulation is very far from being 'solved', there's a huge latency issues (upwards of 7f) even in the best emulators and many games with specific problems.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Yes.
Not by a longshot. There are bugs /glitches/latency issues with very single game regardless of emulator. And the emuscene is far from solved. Kronos is a hit and miss and mednafen is starting to include hacks because he hit a dead wall for some games.
Yes, you have duck for a casual experience and mednafen for the native one.
Hell no. PCSX2 is a complete mess that solved most of the issues by automatically applying hacks as solutions. There will be always be a problem with something.
And if there is no problem you are still gonna need a above medium range cpu for the heavier games.

extraordinarily powerful hardware is now very affordable
Yes, hardware is affordable during a inflation and the biggest price hike for electronic components seen in decades.

Puukko

Arcane
On a related note, I was thinking of finally getting to Koudelka, it being nearly the season and all, but damn, I can't get this game looking nice no matter what. It is so aggressively wobbly that PGXP only fixes it somewhat but to the point where it then it still looks bad when characters' faces barely hold together. Might just have to take the loss on this one and play it as it is.

beardalaxy

Novice
Did you know this existed?

Mouse Injector for Dolphin 5.0, DuckStation, PCSX2, and other emulators
An external app that injects cursor input into game memory.
https://github.com/garungorp/MouseInjectorDolphinDuck

I actually had no idea, that's pretty cool. I know they are doing something similar for Prime Hack, a mod that lets you use KBM for Metroid Prime, but I'm pretty sure that isn't an external program but a specialized fork of Dolphin. Still, maybe they achieve the effect with the same method of memory injection. There are also mods for Perfect Dark and GoldenEye 007 using the 1964 emulator that lets you use KBM, if I remember right. This seems like it is a lot more janky of a solution than those tailor-made for specific games on a dedicated emulator branch, though.

Don Peste

Arcane
Been poking around with C64 Dreams, a beautifully curated collection of two or three thousand of the best C64 games and demos, all meticulously configured with retroarch (using, for once, a proper disk swapping option), launchbox and controllers, including in-game manuals and box covers, all put together by some wonderfully sperggy C64 nut. But I'm being punished for my piracy since using an Xbox emulated DS4 controller with DS4Windows here will cause your PC to become a mass of horrifying instability when you exit a game, forcing you to log off then on again. Serves me right. Plus, you have to configure C64 custom color palettes with each game individually instead of by VICE core so are stuck with the ugly C64 default color palette that looks like two strip technicolor from the dawn of cinema. So, yeah, more eggfarts than rainbows but man does it look and play great.
This was updated with more stuff a few months ago. Current version is 0.60:
https://www.zombs-lair.com/post/c64-dreams-v0-60

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom