Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
I actually didn't realize you can save in the dungeon at first. I figured it out after a bit of salt from those double bow guys. If I didn't figure it out before the church I'd have probably reloaded because rekt more than in Deepest Dark.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
GhopTheConqueror

yes, E: Gothic was 100% designed from the ground-up w/ their save-anywhere @ any time save-system in mind. the game will progressively get harder, but in the proper way: yes, in the beginning you *may* feel some stuff is a "death trap", such as approaching an optional/hidden dungeon floor Master like you did without knowing (and without saving lol... sorry. i mean lolol.... sorry. i mean--) and get party wiped but guess what? through intuitive usage of classes/skills you actually *can* without any problems whatsoever defeat the 1st dungeons floor Master mantis-enemy by using a Charm spell or by (and this is the preferred method for early portions) using the Bard's ability to draw a Tarot card (Lovers) that charms the enemy.

the 1st dungeon floor master, the Mantis-type enemy that beheaded your crew, is like super duper vulnerable to charming. once he's charmed laugh and gloat aloud in your room as you watch him decapitate himself because he's charmed so obviously this means he must attack himself for youuuu. it's fucking hilarious!

BUT DON'T DO THAT YET! THIS IS META-KNOWLEDGE BUT THE REAL REASON FLOOR MASTERS EXIST IS FOR YOUR THIEF-CHARACTER TO STEAL THEIR UBER-L33T GEAR FROM THEM.

IF YOU KILL THEM WITHOUT FIRST STEALING THEIR SHIT IT'S GONE GONE GONE. That is why the floor masters are optional. For example the 1st dungeon Mantis dude is wielding a cursed Scythe weapon that is post-game gear. You can't steal shit though until your Thief reaches level 26 and learns the Thief class-Mastery skill that allows disarming opponents.

(if playing normally and assuming you have a Thief from the very beginning the Thief, being the fastest class in terms of Levelling Up in the game by a wiiide margin, will probably reach lv. 26 and learn how to Disarm enemies around.... probably around the mid-way point in the "normal content" game; i.e. probably around the time you reach the first "real" dungeon the underground Church, so for now i recommend leaving all floor masters alive until then).

(but hey, don't sweat it either: my first two runs through the story dungeons i never even had a pure Thief. i got my mantis Scythe thingie the manly man's way, i.e. i got it in the post-game dungeons).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, unlike (and while every other thing I type is hyperbolic the following is a straight up fact)-- unlike all other jap rpgs that feature "post-game" content Elminage: Gothic's "post-game" is technically not post-game at all as the story continues throughout the 3 (HUUUUGE, HUGE HUGE) post-game dungeons so, even though when you beat the normal-content dungeon's "final dungeon" and you see credits scroll the game continues right along without even dumping you to a title screen. Seriously, the credits finish and you're back to it, and the king and everyone continues advancing the plot and inf act, the plot (what there is of it, to be fair, i mean this is not Torment) actually gets 10x more interesting in the post-game as the 3 post-game dungeons are the INARGUABLY best-designed dungeons in the entire game, with the exception of the mid-game dungeon The Royal Tomb which is... INARGUABLY !!!1... the best designed dungoen in the game itself. The story/plot stuff gets, as I mentioned, 10xxxxx more interesting as they drop some Wizardry-related homage-bombs on you and in particular the Cave of the Ancients is one seriously glorious love-letter to Wizardry in its entirety and the myriad of NPCs inside the Cave of the Ancients have without a doubt the best and legitimately interesting and evocative dialog in p. much any modern crawler i've played.

(seriously, each one of the 3 post-game dungeons is easily 2-3 normal-content dungeons combined, and the final post-game dungeon is the 20f Ibag's Tower which is hands-down the most ridiculously hard/rewarding/awesome/X-TREME crawler dungeon in terms of enemy difficulty and in terms of itemization that i've ever played).

(dude, seriously, the game changes so radically in terms of the combat encounter design starting from the first post-game dungeon immediately that you will immediately feel as though you are playing a completely different game than you have been for the past 50 hours or so previous. enemies get insanely smarter and they start coming prepped with abilities that are player character specific such as the Shaman's Barrier ability and they also start coming prepped with access to 7th-spell-level spells such as a Mage's "Miracle" spell, which is the exact same as the Wizardry MAHAMAN spell, i.e. a "Wish" spell; and duuuuude, DUDE: you will see crazy shit like an enemy arch demon cast the "Wish" spell and wish for your party to be teleported from Combat and... bam, YER PARTY IS IN A ROCK LEWL. Zero mercy. Save often).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier
Dorateen
Siveon
Viata
Zetor
Dorarnae
Shackleton
GhopTheConqueror
Celerity
Mustawd
fluent

Ok, since i'm currently having a blast re-playing Elminage: Original and Elminage: Gothic (gonna finish Ibag's Tower) I'm in full Elminage mode and I want to make an actually worthwhile mini-mod. I tried previously to modify some of the game files in order to implement--well, sorry, I did do it, I didn't "try", I did the changes--stuff like Medium-range for all Staves/Staff weaponry just like they are in Elminage 1-3. You see, it was Starfish's desire to make E: Gothic extra-extra "hard-core" that made them change a lot somewhat trivial, but sometimes game-changing/quality-of-life stuff like the aforementioned range reduction on Staves.

(Yes, obviously their aim was to make it as close as possible to a "true" Wizardry game, which does not feature M-range weaponry for Caster-types whatsoever with obvious exceptions for the Priest and Bishop due to their class; it is interesting to note, however, that in E: Gothic they actually went one step further from Wizardry 1-5 "mechanics" and made Bishops unable to access the normally plentiful Bludgeoning paraphanelia that they had been enjoying since Elmi 1-3-- hehe, seems they wanted to be too cool for school).

Among other changes they did in E: Gothic was also restricting heavily weaponry access for classes like the Bard, the Thief, the Hunter, and the Servant. Sure, of course they implemented a shit load of other stuff like Class "Ex-Skills" in E: Gothic which can legitimately change how a party functions; but there ain't no Ex-Skill in the world that will wipe away the tears from players who were rocking Hunters/Bards in E: Original and suddenly in E: Gothic their Hunter can't fucking equip motherfucking Fighter/Lord Swords/Blades, something which is prepostrous (!), and their fucking Bard can no longer utilize Boomerages or utilize 2-handed clubs/maces like in E: Original.

They also did a bunch of other stuff that was for the better such as drastically reducing weapon accuracy modifiers in order to make the game a bit more difficult (compared to E: Gothic, E: Original is a piece of cake), and among too many other things to type out right now another area they tweaked were the Spell Success Rates.

In E: Original a Rizefus (Tier-1 resurrection spell) almost never fails, and the game's description of it failing "sometimes" is exactly what it says on the tin: it fails... sometimes. That means not often, and you will never find yourself desperately crossing your fingers in great anxiety during an epic battle hoping against hope that your Rizefus spells actually work and that your dead party member doesn't turn to Ashes.

The above scenario is something incredibly common in Gothic and now I'm getting finally to my point: originally I was trying to change dumb shit like that, i.e. I made a modification to the Rizefus spell to make it "land" with the same rate of success as the Tier-2 resurrection spell that follows it which features greater chances of not turning friends into EZ-Bake ovens. The other "significant" change/modification to existing game data I did was making all Staves/Staff weaponry M-range, just like in previous Elminage games, and I also went ahead and made Hunters/Bards/Servants able to access all of the weaponry/gear they could access in E: Original.

In retrospect while those changes are certainly... changes.... it occurs to me that they are completely inconsequential. And in any case, after some thought I realized that I should not have bothered changing gear-access for any class whatsoever as they are all delicately balanced in E: Gothic. I mean, E: Gothic features almost 700 weapons/armors.... in comparison E: Original features less than 300. Believe me, after thoughtful consideration and my own anecdotal playing experience I can safely say that bothering to change class weaponry was a complete waste of time.

(The M-range Staves are still attractive to me though, if only so you can have your caster-types miss a Melee atk during trash-mob battles instead of having to waste time either using a spell, or selecting defend (or a skill). There's something satisfying when your Alchemist fucking bluedgeons to death a high-level critter with a mighty blow from his M-range Welsh Cane, a mighty pimp cane indeed, and you see that motherfucker monster dude disappear into nothingness from a deadly blow that probably dealt 15 dmg).

Anyhoo, the point of this post is to ask you people whom I know have played the game to offer real good suggestions about minor tweaks that can potentially change the entire gameplay experience. I already have a fucking awesome example of the first thing I'm changing (right now!):

- I'm editing the file that holds the data for all of the Ex-Skills and I'm changing one of the existing skills (I presently lack the l33t skills to add data, i can only tweak it)-- in order to make that existing skill be completely replaced both in name and function with the Bishop's Identification.
- You see, luckily for me Starfish doesn't put much stock in making their game files like, uber crypto, y'know what I mean? Everything is as plain to read and understand and change as it can possible be.
- Anyway, the Bishop's Identification ability, which is not an Ex-Skill, is nevertheless the same thing in game terms it's a class skill. All class skills are treated like "Perks", if you will, and they can be swapped in and out of a character's "sheet" without any problems whatsoever. Bishops are not hard-coded to Identify shit, yay.
- So It's easy enough to replace the data of one of the existing Ex-Skills, which are selectable, with the Identification skill, since as far as the game is concerned all skills are the same shit in terms of how the game interprets them.

So yeah, that's my first idea: making item Identification a selectable Ex-Skill. Obviously one of the existing Ex-Skills will have to go, but that's no problem since half of them either don't work as advertised (Last Stand, looking at you) or are simply completely inferior in every way to the other skills in the list which are actually practical.

I'm thinking the one to get replaced will probably Revenge, which makes the character auto-attack (standard melee atk) the enemy that just killed a party member which sounds cool except the attack carries a ton of to-hit and dmg penalties, for some fucking reason, and if the enemy was in a back row and shit and killed using magics then your char will literally just swing at the air.

Anyway that's not important, there are plenty of useless Ex-Skills to choose from. Now... aside from making item Identification a selectable Ex-Skill so as to finally allow players to not always have to drag around a highly useless Bishop, or even more tedious: keep him in town forcing you to do extended town micro-management of party members which I loathe. (I loathe that when it is stupid, like the benched Bishop, or benched Alchemist scenario. That's just busy-work for the player.)

Obviously this made me realize that making the Alchemist's crafting "skill" should also get the same treatment. He would still be necessary in order to alchemize materials together for unique items and his class mastery ability which allows him to craft better quality Ores out of what you have is absolutely indespensible: but at least you can go without an Alchie if you really want to and not feel like you're missing out.

Any ideas on class-specific skills/abilities which need fleshing out, or which don't do the class-character "justice", or perhaps thoughts on classes that would work better if they had access to X or Y or Z'; that's what I want to see.

Also: the Races. We can change the lifespans/ages for all Races, and btw, I'm already planning on an optional races file that one could use if they wish which would allow E: Gothic players to start off the bat able to create characters as Ogres, Magic Dolls, Giants, and Devilish. All of those races, which were "added" to the 3DS remake, are already there in the PC version of E: Gothic. I've used them and it is not a glitchy thing: they're fully implemented.

Also the Attribute stat distribution for each race: what about that? thoughts on that? As things are in E: Gothic right now (and all Elminage games really) there are some clear cut better-races like the Werebeasts and the Dragonnewts and to a lesser extent the Dwarves. For E: Gothic it seems Starfish was fully aware of this which is why it is the only game in the series where character Ageing is extremely important. It was Starfish's attempt to make absolutely sure every race had definite pros and cons even outside of class/stats allowances.

(And speaking of ageing: motherfucking humans live 20-65 years? And they lose stats starting at 40+? UMMM sylvester stallone and his HGH ex-skill disagree).

I'm trying to see if I can find anything that looks like the files where the data about what items/loot monsters are carrying so I can change it and have as many monsters as I can able to have the weapons they're currently using against you inside their inventories so they can be stolen. This was a major oversight/mistake/who knows, etc, from Starfish and they rectified the glaring omission of regular monsters not carrying in their inventories their own weapons. It was definitely a mistake/oversight because floor Masters and Bosses actually do carry their l33t weapons in their inventories so your Thief can disarm/steal from them like normal, just like in E: Gothic.

BLAH BLAH

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Double-Post EDIT: in case it might not have ocurred to yourself while reading stuff that can be easily changed includes everything that is related to the Ex-Skills, everything that is related to the Spells including the levels/rate at which each Caster class learns their spells; stuff like the amount of Hit Points that can potentially be gained when a class levels up (i.e. the class's hit-die information) and obviously this also includes any and all information related to class base Attributes, lifespans/ageing; also, stuff like changing any Spell, for example changing a spell's "element" to another one, etc.

Other stuff that can also be easily changed is the entire item list in the game including weapon properties. However needless to say tweaking individual weapon properties, besides being a slippery-slope, is fucking crazy because's there's 700 fucking items in the game so fuck that. HOWEVER, HOOOWWWEVER: as mentioned in the above post changing some specific stuff is easier/feasible such as for example: changing the effect of a weapon's "SP invocation" or changing a cursed weapon to non-Cursed for example.

Currently I'm starting to realize the easiest thing to do, after making item Identification a selectable skill, is simply to implement the changes that Starfish made in the 3DS remake such as:

- they decided to give Lords and Valkyries and Samurai access to the class ability of "Spell Power UP", but obviously they get the same hybrid-Tier of that class skill/ability just Bards. implementing that specific tweak would be super easy.
- Starfish also changed the Ex-Skill "Swallow Attack", which is a selectable Ex-Skill you can pick which allows a character to spend 1 Skill Point during his turn in order to make 100% his melee Atk does not, does NOT, get parried and then counter-attacked by the "Swallow Return" CLASS-skill of the Samurai (of course many monsters in the post-game have Swallow Return without being Samurai-types); er, right, so what they did is they changed it to not consume SP when you use "Swallow Attack".
- I actually wholeheartedly approve 100% of that change as in Ibag's Tower there are so many enemies always spamming Swallow Return that, 1) you're fucked if you didn't have at least 1 char pick Swallow Killer, heh, and 2) after you exhaust your SP using it you p. much say to yourself, well better go to Town and recharge.
- so yeah, no-SP-cost Swallow Attack indeed. I approve. also, extremely easy to tweak. Literally changing some numbers.

I've kind of been wanting to make Thieves able to "randomly" auto-hide automatically when a battle begins just like Ninjas. I can't remember the last time I bothered using a Thief's "Hide" skill because you have to waste a turn using it and it might fail.

ETC

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Screenshot%202016-07-22%2015.32.35_zpsxj7aurrs.png

- above picture is file with the data about the racial requirements for a given race to qualify for a Class. you can notice a bit further down the races themselves and their data, note the inclusion of devilish/magic doll/etc in the file.

Screenshot%202016-07-22%2015.47.34_zpslhsbxklt.png

- above is a picture of the file that tells the game the racial lifespans. changing this is as simple as typing new numbers in there.

Screenshot%202016-07-22%2015.35.31_zpsy39pxce1.png

- above picture shows the XP tables for races/classes.

Screenshot%202016-07-22%2015.39.09_zpsb0vuzei6.png

- pictured above is the gigantic item file. you can change whatever you want as simple as changing numbers around.

Screenshot%202016-07-22%2015.40.40_zpsyimj8s2e.png

- the file w/ the skills. notice how there is no distinction in-game, basically, regarding what is a class skill and what is something else. completely modular. props Starfish.

Screenshot%202016-07-22%2015.42.14_zpsaqk8m4s9.png

- pictured above the main "traps" file which, as you can see, details what each trap does. and yes, changing what is in there, i.e. were you to replace the Rockslide "texts" with the texts from Teleporter then Rockslide would function same as Teleporter when you fire up the game.

anyway just thought I'd post some visuals of how the game's files are laid out, there are tons more, they're in freaking .CSV and they used very simple systems of correlation such as Races being numbered 1-10 (they're not 1-10, diff numbers, but the example stands as that is exactly what they did). not exactly a hard code to crack :)

Courtier

Prophet
I beat the game as it was and don't like to mess with vanilla, I can't really offer any suggestions other than ''fix thieving e.g. missing enemy inventory + the success chance being highly dependent on level making it impossible to rob late enemies'' and ''re-add free donation'' (would require messing with menus and shit).

Oh and maybe make ID cost lower than item value, like how it first was in Original, so that you can at least make a little money without a Bishop. Everything you mentioned already sounds enough for a fully fledged unofficial patch, which would be great - especially for the occasional new player that drops by, if it's easy for anyone to use.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey aweigh, take this as a grain of salt since I haven't played E:G yet, but I've got a thought. Maybe you could rebalance the game so that it doesn't need such ridiculous meta-game knowledge to finish? Like you mentioned the optional bosses per-level needing a thief with an end-game disarm skill to take advantage of their steal ability- maybe find a way to change that? Also the fact that the best parts of the game are post-credits: is there any way to move those dungeons, in the context of progression, so that they don't appear post-game but are part of the game?

As someone who's interested in the game, the degree of meta-gaming necessary to play E:G competently has put me off. If you could rebalance the game so that players still get a punishingly hard experience but don't need to analyze multiple walkthroughs to experience the majority of the content.. well, I think that would be a worthwhile pursuit. Just my two cents!

Courtier

Prophet
optional bosses per-level needing a thief with an end-game disarm skill to take advantage of their steal ability
Completely optional and not worth it, also the inventory lists for most enemies were not filled out so most don't even have anything to steal if it's even possible (level difference), the ability is basically broken unlike in the first game where it was very useful

is there any way to move those dungeons, in the context of progression, so that they don't appear post-game but are part of the game?
The story arc continues from dungeon to dungeon after the rather soonish ''ending'', so this would fuck that up

As someone who's interested in the game, the degree of meta-gaming necessary to play E:G competently has put me off. If you could rebalance the game so that players still get a punishingly hard experience but don't need to analyze multiple walkthroughs to experience the majority of the content.. well, I think that would be a worthwhile pursuit. Just my two cents!
I think the changes he wrote about wanting to implement would basically make this happen, making your playthrough go much more smoothly. The closer it gets to Elminage Original the more accessible for new players the game will be (which is what the 3ds Remix did). But figuring a lot of shit out is still part of the experience

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'm having trouble getting the selectable ex-skill "Identification" to work; however adding the skill itself to other character classes works 100%. :\

Could arguably slap Identification onto Shamans and Servants and pretend it's part of their "craft", with Shaman's divining that shit and Servants appraising like a jeweler (they are business-people after all, despite the name).

agris

what exactly would you specifically say needs changing in your opinion? E: Gothic itself is not actually reliant on the player knowing meta-knowledge at all. I'm sorry if I perhaps gave off that impression (the enemy loot-stealing was a developer oversight); the fact is that E: Gothic is a very long, very deep game in the literal defintion: it is a game that rewards the player more and more as they play it.

E: Gothic is the type of RPG that you will spend 25 hours playing and then you will think you are beginning to understand the game and then you will reach hour 55 and you will realize that what you understood about how to make your way through the game was rightfully ignorant because, quite frankly, the game itself is not static or obtuse.

it is cryptic, and it challenges the player to experiment. There are simply so many moving parts in E: Gothic that it is impossible for one playthrough to fully grasp all of the nuances. I did not actually ever even use a Bard, or a Hunter, until my 2nd playthrough of the story-dungeons, and I did not grasp the true importance of the Hunter's lightning strike ability as effective crowd control until well 100+ hours of playing.

I want you to keep in mind that my recent posts on this thread have been coming from someone who has already played a lot of the game itself and is merely thinking about making changes to the game so as to keep it fresher. These changes are actually not necessary at all. A Bishop identifies items and there is a very legitimate and profound reason for this, and I have typed extremely long posts detailing the genesis of the Bishop and his/her role in the Wizardry/Elminage party and more importantly the psychological impetus for the creation of the Bishop. Unfortunately I simply can't type out the Bishop pseudo-essay right now, but long story short the Bishop is there primarily to play with the psychology of the player's logistical methodology of dungeon exploration. There is no need whatsoever for the Identification skill to be an Ex-Skill; this is something I want to do because I, as I mentioned, I wish to change the game up and play it more.

The game as-is, out-of-the-box, is probably the most rock-solid system array of mechanical systems in any RPG I've ever seen and it easily surpasses any Wizardry in terms of scope and complexity and depth.

Take for example what I mentioned earlier about the 1st dungeon's floor Master carrying a l33t Scythe-type weapon. I can somewhat understand you feeling like you are "missing out" on something if you killed him and never knew you could leave them alive so you could later on steal their weapons with a Thief... but you have to understand that this is not in any way, shape or form, a mistake by the developer or anything approaching "bad design". Think about it, man: how on earth are you supposed to know you can steal shit from the 1st dungeon's Doom Cricket? Thieves don't get their ability to steal until their Class-level 26!!!!

This is intentional. And it is also the reason why stuff such as floor masters are optional. This is a type of game that generates die-hard fans because it doesn't insult their intelligence. It provides an exceptional variety and amount of classes and ways to build a party and ways to play through the game that, dude, i've spent around 85 hours on E: Original and around 250 hours (total, across playthroughs) playing E: Gothic and I AM STILL FINDING OUT SHIT I DIDN'T KNOW, AND I AM STILL FINDING NEW WAYS TO PLAY THROUGH AREAS, AND I AM STILL FINDING NEW WAYS TO TAKE DOWN ENEMIES I'VE DEFEATED MANY TIMES BEFORE.

There is literally no way for the player to know that the 1st dungeon's Doom Cricket floor master is vulnerable to Charm. Once again I reiterate that this is by design, and we, the players, are thankful for it and appreciative. This is for YOU, the player, to learn. To experiment. To use those classes you never used before because they did not seem powerful enough!

THIS is the the kind of *real* "C&C", (choices and consequences), that an RPG should feature in a primary manner; not the usual Branching Story State A-B-C scenarios that produce ultimately extremely questionable gameplay/game-playing experiences for the player.

I mean, sure, if you tell me specifically what it is that you'd like to see changed I will do it, no problem. For example, if you feel you levelling is too slow, as a lot of people do (it's fine... much faster than comparable japanese 'crawlers for sure) I can upload a .CSV file with more XP from enemies, or a faster XP progression table for classes.

However we must also talk about the game's difficulty. E: Gothic is not an uber hard-core game like Wizardry 4, quite the contrary, but it is not a cake-walk. Take as an example, a perfect example, the Rizefus spell details I mentioned in the above posts. It is 100% true that in E: Gothic resurrection spells come out-of-the-box with lower success-rates of healthy resurrection than the previous Elminage games. I've actually, in my entire 80+ hours of E: Original, never ever had someone turn to Ashes from using Rizefus! In E: Gothic it happens all the time.

Again, I repeat: this is intentional. E: Gothic was made by Starfish as loving homage to the tense, exciting and often challenging and always thrilling to overcome gameplay directions of classic Wizardry games, specifically Wizardry games 1-5. Resurrecting homies in Wiz 1-5 was even dicier than in E: Gothic, and guess what? In Wiz 1-5 every resurrection, even if successful (!), would take away 1 point of VITALITY from the resurrected character! haha

talk about serious business! It is obviously 100% logical and 100% contextual: of course you lose 1 point of VITALITY from a resurrection... it makes all the fucking sense in the world. Does that make things more "difficult" for the player? Mmm.... my answer is 'No'. It makes things more interesting for the player.

the ageing in E: Gothic is also a direct tribute to the incredible legacy of Wizardry games, specifically Wizardry 1-5. Wizardry characters aged and life was harsh. Of course an ageing character will gain Attributes much slower when he or she is in their 40's and 50's and 60's than when they were in their 20's and 30's; it is only logical. however these games are not simulations, they are the complete opposite: Wizardry and Elminage are the ultimate abstraction of an RPG adventure.

the game does not want to punish the player, in actuality Wiz and Elminage want the player to realize that, just like in real life, everything that has a beginning must eventually have an ending. Characters die, stupid decisions can lead to annihilation, but it goes without saying that the the player is not being punished he or she is being educated and indoctrinated in his or her entirety into the world of this game.

i guarantee that in no other RPG you will experience situations like the scenarios one can find oneself while playing something like Wizardry or Elminage and that your suspension of disbelief *will* be complete: you will fear for your characters dying, but you will also accept it and make new ones, or perhaps you will manage to stumble upon one of the fountains that regenerate youth in the game; perhaps you will decide to roll an Alchemist, a character class that receives as their ultimate spell one which raises primary Attribute scores permanently upon casting.

subtle gameplay nuances such as the ones I just mentioned, things like characters agueing, or things like clearing a dungeon and having to run from a crazed dungeon boss you know nothing about and which seems completely unbeatable, and of course: things like character Attribute scores lowering on a level up because you're getting older, only to reach the next level and be greeted with a triumphant super-roll of hit points (the game keeps track of everything!).

these things are masterful in that they help to slowly teach the player many, many things about the game, and many things about how to PLAY the game, and ultimately it is a growing and maturation that occurs between the player and the game. It is not the player versus the game, rather it is the player ready, able and willing to jump into the unknown abyss and explore and ultimately conquer and in the process learn more about himself or herself as a person who plays video games.

Last edited:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Accessibility is cancer.

Anyways, I noticed the Rizefus fail thing when a streamer got incredibly salty he used his 3 charges on 3 dead characters and got 3 immolated bodies for his efforts. Apparently failing from ashes doesn't always result in final death. I don't remember it working that way in earlier games.

I also wonder if you can add new enemies. Seems you could if it lets you add images and stats and alter encounter tables so you can seed them with the new enemy.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier
Siveon

srs question: is there really any point to picking any other Ex-Skill other than "Brace" once you chose M. Bag on someone?

there's like, absolutely nothing more useful than Brace throughout the entire game.

EDIT: although War Ritual activates before enemies take their turns, always, and it boosts party member melee atk dmg by (this is me guessing) by around 25%, perhaps more, and it also boosts their to-Hit modifiers (would have to check wiki for specific numbers, but it does, i have seen my baby level 19 samurai i'm raising rite now's # of atks rise on the same enemy like so:

without war ritual: she does 1 attack with her two death arms each
with war ritual: she does 3 atks with each death arm

AND it also boosts party member spell casting. Still unsure whether War Ritual bolsters your Casters' spells Resistance-Penetration-Abilities.

...but still, i literally cannot count the # of times Brace has saved me from having to risk wasting a turn during a tough fight and having to resurrect homies. that's invaluable.

PENETRATION

Last edited:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
through intuitive usage of classes/skills you actually *can* without any problems whatsoever defeat the 1st dungeons floor Master mantis-enemy by using a Charm spell or by (and this is the preferred method for early portions) using the Bard's ability to draw a Tarot card (Lovers) that charms the enemy.

the 1st dungeon floor master, the Mantis-type enemy that beheaded your crew, is like super duper vulnerable to charming. once he's charmed laugh and gloat aloud in your room as you watch him decapitate himself because he's charmed so obviously this means he must attack himself for youuuu. it's fucking hilarious!

That actually is really cool. I like the fact that sheer brute force and damage aren't the way to win every battle and you have to take advantage of the unique properties of spells and abilities.

Now that I know about the save anywhere function I'm going to try and a bit more experimental in fighting super tough enemies like that. I tend to be the kind of person who hordes spells and abilities so I can blow them all on boss battles.

Courtier

Prophet
Stronghold to prevent formation change
War Rite to increase party damage for a turn
Divination to see ore AP value and dramatically improve collection of it
Without find treasure you will only get treasure at fixed encounters

They're all useful to some degree but absolute must-haves would be Brace, Stronghold, Magic Bag and Divination during normal play I think. Very early on stuff like song of healing is nice. I ended up having 2 guys with Find Treasure (>1 doesn't do anything and the skill is by then useless) up to beating the final postgame boss, I couldn't change it without losing hundreds of levels and if you classchange a monster adventurer they lose innate resistances. In Remix you can just pay Clvl*X gold to change Ex Skill

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
GhopTheConqueror

damn! i spent like 15 mins screen-capping my (almost full) Gothic monster book (in the game go for an audience w/ the king. i know, i know, you completely forgot he existed. s'ok.).

seriously, if you ever feel like the enemies in an area, like for example when you reach a new dungeon or whatever, are "too hard" [sic]-Ed; simply go to the king and look at the bestiary.

it says right there every single detail, stat, and most importantly it shows you each enemy's info-screen with the list of shit they can inflict on you and the percentage they have that shit at (lololol @ end-game ninjas w/ 50+ % behead chance). LOOK AT IT, LEARN IT, LOVE IT, AND U WILL BE.... WELL ULL PROLLY BEAT THE DUNGEON IS WHJAT I MEAN OK.

like for example the Tiger Centaurs that draw Tarot cards on you in the final story dungeon are annoying especially when they draw ALT F4 card it is impossible to resist obeying it. Turns out you can sleep the kitties and also confuse them.

Sleep, Confuse and SILENCE, yes, motherfucking SILENCE, and one more time for emphasis:

silence.

Are your inarguably most useful status ailments to throw during "tough" encounters. I cannot canot, literally i can't <(. .<), but i cannot count the amount of times i have used the 2nd spell-level Cleric spell that silences a row of enemys and just completely shut down annoying elemental-type enemies which spam Enterook Mista and shit like that.

And, surprisingly (or not) i ca'nt recall a single pure "Caster-type" enemy that had more than 20-30% resistance to Silence.

i've taken to putting in a lil bit of Silence as a special "attack" on weapons when there is Ore points left-over after choosing what I want, which is usually stuff like Double-Damage options.

...which brings me to that point: yes, increasing raw DPS (raising weapon damage variable numbers) *is* effective, but you will soon learn that some enemy types can fuck u up faster than others. there is nothing, NOTHING !, more heart-warming than strolling through any of the Devil/Ghost heavy dungeons in the game, i.e. the 2 "Church/Sanctum" dungeons, with everyone sporting nice 2x anti-Devil on their chosen weapons.

having 2x anti-Elementals is also very good throughout most of the entire game, and what I like to do is round it out by equipping some chars with shit like the woodsman boots and the Mystery Obi accessory, with the former giving 2x dmg anti-Animals and also! 2x dmg anti-Mythic, and Animal and Mythic comprise a lot of enemies you would not expect at first glance. (think spell-casting unicorns/horses and the aforementioned kitty-manticore).

i've only started doing this now, in basically my 2nd and a half playthrough, as previously i was a staunch believer of slapping the highest possible numbers of raw DPS numbers on a weapon. I remember once wasting a 43 point Ore I got luckily while doing the story dungeon of the first Church, you know the one where the demonic kid turns into yaoi Batman slash.

well i remember WASTING that awesome Ore on making the King's Sword 9 fucking fucking dmg points higher with it, thanks to Alchemist class mastery skill. Do you think for a single second those 9 points really made any difference in legit, ride-or-die encounters? of course not. it's absolute peanuts compared to coming prepared with 2x anti-Whatever-you're-facing-in-the-dungeon-you're-clearing.

EDIT: items to keep an eye for because of their awesome free 2x anti-Type modifiers: woodsman's boots, mantis gauntlets, Mystery obi accesory (i assume an obi is some sort of belt?) and that one is the only single one i've found that has 2x anti-Elementals built-in, so it is, frankly, awesome.

There's also the Tiger Belt, which is not its name but the name is very close to that. Unfortunately I have no idea where i left the ones I had, and I decided I'm *not* going to be super power-gamey and have the drop-lists for every dungeon/enemy next to me from the Wiki. Already went through that phase and frankly it's more fun to just play and see what you get.

anyone else know of any other gear with built-in 2x anti-Enemy-Type?

(oh, mantis gauntlets = anti-Insect, and woodsman boots = anti-Mythic and anti-Animal; mystery obi = anti-Elemental, and then slap on the High King's Sword on that motherfucker and he has then with the sword: anti-Fighter/Mage/Cleric/Thief as well.

to top it off, enchant the sword then with 2x anti-Devil and/or Ghost, either or, although Devil is waay more prolific, and you are pretty much fucking ready to go.

Courtier
i used to take the one that lets you see Crafting Ore's "points", but i've stopped taking it thanks to my time spent playing Elmi: Original. I don't need that shit anymore, especially in Gothic which has Myst. Bag, so... whatevs.

i recently discovered War Ritual when I was creating my new Ibag's Tower party, thanks to the gracious act of you sending me those save-games. I modified the XP of the enemies inside the 1st dungeon to give 300,000 E.P. each (blue slime, polyp, spore, Uchiwika, zombie lady, Earth Worm, etc). Took no time at all to level them up to 60-75 and enter the tower with them.

wasn't all roses tho also "branched out" by taking LAST STAND, which says it increases the character (who has it, I assume, most logically) their Armor Class, i.e. lowers it, although that's not explicitly mentioned any time another party member is killed in a fight.

i tested that shit a lot and that shit does not do SHIT. homies dropping like flies and nothing changed, not the Armor Class, not their to-HIT modifiers on attacking (tested that, just in case, and the peeps with LAST STAND dealt the exact same melee atks as before the companion deaths), no extra hit points, *nothing*. it is straight-up glitched.

thankfully I know how to hex edit the save game and change that shit skill to whatever I want, so I changed the 2 peeps with Last Stand to all use Brace, and then i have 1 guy w/ Mystery B. and one guy War Ritual, who is btw the Alchemist, so in a non-tough fight he can go:

1. Pomedoon
(check if it's worth bother/too many still there)
2. War Ritual
3. the rest of the party lays waste.

it's basically a pseudo-Orath, so he can always depend on his War Ritual if Orath runs out or he is silenced. what i really, really wish i could test verifiebly is if Ritual increases party's spell-casting in that it penetrates enemies more, OR if it's just active if the spell is a damage spell, OR if it increases... duration of a status? maybe?

PENENENE

EDIT: the main reaosn Last Stand seemed suddenly very attractive is this:

how many times u been in a tough encounter and the enemy keeps fucking beheading/charming your homies, and etc etc 1 or 2 of your own die in a given turn. Yes, time to start rezzing, etc, or casting Robukand for that -20 AC, etc, but then I thought: holy shit, if that works as it says it does then every death from a companion will raise my AC, and it'll be so insane that even if i have 3 or 4 dead, the last two left the ones with Last Stand will be UNTOUCHABLEEEEEE
blerp

(remember: common scenario like above is because of enemies beheading so those last 2 left alive will use their suddenly super high (low) AC to simply evade the beheading melee atks. i mean if japan knew how to use a computer of course.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, i didn't realize 90% of the really ornery beheading motherfuckers are all grouped under the Thief-type of enemy. Master Ninjas, Anthropomorphic foxes with Lightning Strike skill coupled w/ native 44.7% behead on you, as well as ALL of the Samurai-enemies you come across.

having a few peeps with a 2x anti-Thief is much, much, much more beneficial than having anti-Fighter/Mage/Cleric.

I'd say basically Devil, Thief, Elementals and in specific dungeons Dragon/Gods (lotta gods asking for it later on)-- those are the best enemy-types to concentrate your Double Damage crafting on.

I just killed a 2 rows of ninjas/samurais inside the Volcano (currently playing a non-Ibag's party right now) by having everyone spam the insta-kill row spell. To increase chances of insta-kill spells working you raise your Dark Attribute "Attack", as they are Dark-type spells even if they're in the cleric school. In my first playthrough I thought they were Light-type because of them being Cleric spells.

I would somewhat advise about not really bothering to craft your gear to specifically raise Mage/Cleric/Alchemy-resistances; later enemies all have the Ex-Skill Spirit Contract which will nullify your resistances anyway. it's better to spend the crafting ores on raising Dark Attribute "Defense", to not get insta-killed by enemy spells like Argeiss for example, while this may sound obvious: when facing enemies like dragons or giants that spam Breath attacks ALWAYS SPEND THE FIRST ROUND PUTTING UP BREATH BARRIER SPELLS. At least 2 ppl in the party should have Cleric spells, preferably 3, so you can throw up 3 anti-Breath barriers in the 1st round.

same goes when fighting enemies who level drain. just drop any other action and everyone should cast all of their Drain-barrier spells (Psi Drain). Believe me it's better than going FUCK HE LEVL FUCK FUCK ALT F4 RELOAD.

people who you know will be the ones casting spells like those, barrier-type spells and the like, you should plan ahead and make sure they're high-speed races like Hotlet. Werebeasts do alright too, but nothing's faster than aHotlet. of course this is all extreme meta-gaming and it's not mandatory, even though i make it sound like it is.

i'm the type of guy who likes to make a fresh party of 3 Alchemists and 3 Clerics, then at level 13 change each one to another class, so that i can make sure that no matter what happens later on my party will always have 3 chars who can Alchemy-cast and 3 chars who can Cleric-heal.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
swallow killer ex skill is also quite good but only in Tbag tower...but kinda sad that it uses skill point, they changed it to a passsive on 3ds.

I am like courtier, I don't really like messing around with the game... but I think some change that could be good are things like boss resistance/recovery rate. they changed that in the 3ds version and it makes more sense. the psp/pc version is a bit stupid that you can win vs all foe if you can land a sleep/paralyse...

If you can fix song of healing, the pc version probably still have the bug. when a battle end if your character was going to use that skill , he was supposed to used it before battle result. when I beta test the game it didn't work and they never fixed it I think.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae

YOU know, i agree 100% with the sentiment. since i made that post i've been thinking carefully about really what could be changed, and frankly the game is almost perfect as it is. there is no need to change anything related to classes, skills, itemization, etc.

the only things that need to be tweaked are basically, everything they tweaked in the 3ds remake. i changed the swallow killer ex-skill to "passive", testing it out right now in-game and so far so good. working fine.

what i would really love to do is be able to "fix" the average-enemy encounter situation in regards of the weapons they're carrying in battle so that the Elmi: Gothic thief can steal shit from encounters and not just from "bosses", or whatever. however it's proving to be more complicated than i anticipated. i found some of the files that are directly responsible for storing that type of information but ATM i'm going through the process of trying to figure out what numbers go where and stuff like that.

monster stats i already found, btw, at least the primary ones:

- monster Level
- monster "type"
- abilities that the monster utilizes (have not tried changing them yet)
- monster Hit Points
- Monster Armor Class
- and a few other bits like that

stuff i have not found:

- monster attribute scores. :(
- a clear-cut display in some file that says, THIS MONSTER USES THESE WEAPONS. have not found that yet.

at any rate, changing any monster's level, type, hit points and armor class are 100% doable and doable in a matter of mere minutes. would be better once i find where the monster attribute scores are stored. i'm currently poring through the game's files in a hex editor looking for that sort of stuff as i realize now they simply will not be part of the .CSV files; it'll be in the game files inside.

the monster item loadout will probably also be inside, either in the game's executable or inside one of the files inside the many, many folders inside the game's 4 compressed archives. sounds like more "work" than it really is, tbh.

btw, fun fact, i found a TON of untranslated japanese dialog everywhere, in the game files, and in the .CSV files they used to store "list information" (items/spells/etc).

for example there is a file with complete bestiary written paragraphs describing every single monster in the game, and with what i assume to be "lore" bits and the like. it's in jap.

(as in, that file is a game file it is not some sort of optional document. it is probably something they started doing and had to cut from the game for reasons). interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: oh, and there are a ton (well a few) of cut Ex-Skills that didn't make it into the game. The majority of them I am almost 85% certain are holdovers from elminage 3, either skills from elmi 3 they didn't think would fit with the game of Gothic, or elmi 3 skills that were placeholders or something similar.

there is one that reads exactly like a Fallout 3/NV perk: the title is something Sunshine and whoever has it gets HP recovery during outdoor areas during the day. (most definitely referencing elminage 3 right there b/cos of the weather).

there is the corresponding alternate perk as well for night-time. there is also an Ex-Skill called "Sacrifice" which allows the character to, um, explode?, and in his sacrifice he dies and turns to ashes but everyone in the party is resurrected (even from Ashes) and everyone is cured of ailments and all HP is restored.

after looking into it turns out one of the game's NPC's from the already-created party of adventurers inside the bar when you start a game in Gothic has the skill, one of the Clerics. i assume it was something like they forgot that they had given that character that ex-skill and never removed it when they decided not to use it in-game for the player.

also there are weird ex-skills like one makes the character grow "stronger" the more times he has died; stuff like that. p. sure that's cut content.

honestly that shit sounds ridiculous haha

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

ACCORDING to the japanese wiki dungeon drop list the volcano's bottom floor should yield a Muramasa. been doing this for a while today trying to get it. I've never gotten it before.

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
yeah monster text description didn't make it. same for elminage original, monster and item description weren't there.
I guess it was too much work for them.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
also if you can fix the ''x day has passed'' when you go back to a party in a dungeon. that was another annoying bug they didn't fix.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
could always replace some music in the game for the music they added on 3ds...

the normal battle theme in the final main game dungeon and post game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier
Dorarnae

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I FOUND 'EM. All of the Gothic monster attribute scores. Everything is bundled/jumbled together in 3 documents, respectively monster.csv 1-3.

So yeah, dude, if we want to every single facet of the enemies can be modified. Monster type, monster level, monster armor class, monster hit points, and the monster's attribute scores. even their alignment is in there, and of course it goes without saying that the values for the EP they give is there as well.

Still trying to figure out / find out where information about enemy inventory/items is kept and if it can be changed by someone.

Screenshot%202016-07-23%2000.30.45_zpsevkqcv9v.png

it goes onnn and on further down. you can change everything, basically. i haven't changed anything yet, except the EP value they give and changing the EP numbers worked without any problems whatsoever. game made the monsters spit out thousands of EP immediately.

so... quick-and-dirty all-enemy-monsters-Armor-Class-multiplied-by-2 ? ...mod? hehe

it would be extremely easy, literally control/shift + select the necessary rows and use an Excel math operation to double or triple their AC or something dumb like that. instant "impossible mode".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom