Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

circ

Arcane
Making iOS and kinect games it would seem. Next up: Warren Spector asks for $100 million to buy the rights to Deus Ex!

kinectimals-banner-540.jpg

http://kinectimals.frontier.co.uk/

games_lostwinds.jpg

http://lostwinds.frontier.co.uk/

kda-banner-540.jpg

http://disneyland.frontier.co.uk/

Yep, my confidence level in this guy is through the roof!
:(
Worked for Brian Fargo.

potatojohn

Arcane
Meh. Didn't he say that the next elite would be a console game? And he threatened to sue people who remade Elite?

I think I'd rather fund a Pioneer KS :/

Achilles

Arcane
"Wait and see" approach for me. I'm quite skeptical at the moment.

Derek Larp

Cipher
I loved the richness of the galaxy, but with the benefit of hindsight I think the way the ships flew detracted from the joyous immediacy of those in “Elite”.

I really don't understand that sentence. I'm not sure I want to though...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
What I'm sad about is that with minimal effort they've already reached 150k in the space of one day when Ars Magica, a game I really am wanting to succeed, has barely made 58k in weeks. Fuck.

EDIT: Well, I did it. First time I cancel a pledge. With Braben's history of spending lots of money not making a game, I'm bemused to see the money thrown at a KS without even a video. Braben talks for over a decade about doing a new Elite. He only does it when we mugs take the financial risk. NEW AGE SHIT. Plus there's this; "There is also the fact that as long as we hit the threshold, it commits us to making the game." A real passion project, this new Elite. No sirree.

Wasteland 2
Elite: Dangerous - an amazing space epic with stunning visuals, incredible gameplay and breath-taking scope.
I want to be an Elite. :thumbsup:

I want a game that feels more like the original “Elite” to fly, and with more rapid travel (to allow for the multi-player nature of the game) – so you travel quickly using local ‘hyperspace’ travel rather than by fast-forwarding time.
No time compression, no newtonian physics, no simulation, just an arcade space shooter like any other shitty elite clone, but with some MMO lite elements.

As a kid I had to pick cherries for a week to buy Frontier, while living in a country that didn't know a concept of copyright yet.
I was buying in a shop where they rather copied you pirate games on your floppies and had few real game boxes mostly as decorations, no one was buying them.
I remember that Frontier was described in their photocopied pirate catalogue as a "pseudo flight simulator" :lol:
Clerks were pretty shocked when I requested original game box and asked if I am sure and then wished me fun with the game.

I've backed instantly without even reading, or watching the pitch. It turned out, there is nothing to watch and reading left me pretty :retarded:
I'll most probably cancel my pledge before this kickstarter ends. What a joke.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
They already have 200,000 quid? Holy shit.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Besides "Braben" and "Elite", there is absolutely no reason to back this up as of now. Even Romero and Hall had more details about their game. Braben now has to compete with the likes of X3 and Chris Roberts. The last game I played from Braben was a PS2 game mostly featuring dogs.

For all we know, it could be a raspberry pi exclusive.

Runciter

Augur
At least I'm relieved that there is no pledge-to-win and no upcoming pay-to-win like in Star Citizen's case.

Morkar Left

What I'm sad about is that with minimal effort they've already reached 150k in the space of one day when Ars Magica, a game I really am wanting to succeed, has barely made 58k in weeks. Fuck.

EDIT: Well, I did it. First time I cancel a pledge. With Braben's history of spending lots of money not making a game, I'm bemused to see the money thrown at a KS without even a video. Braben talks for over a decade about doing a new Elite. He only does it when we mugs take the financial risk. NEW AGE SHIT. Plus there's this; "There is also the fact that as long as we hit the threshold, it commits us to making the game." A real passion project, this new Elite. No sirree.

Pretty much this. It sounds like "give us some money and then we will look into it." And I'm completely not convinced that the game will turn out popamole. To be honest I even expect it after seeing this...
I wonder when they worked at it all the years on the sideline why don't they have something to show up? Seriously...

And what's with the £? I thought kickstarter was $ only. And I didn't know that you can run it for 60 days. Is that new?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh and Brian Fargo is trustworthy because he posted one shitty screenshot? God,what a bunch of retards...

At least Fargo had a funny pitch video. Moreover, he actually had some design concepts and a general idea of what he wanted to do. I could be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure he had worked on it a bit before in his spare time at least in terms of an overview. Braben is basically saying, 'wouldn't it be cool to make a new Elite?!?!' He's got nothing to show for it, not even a concept or idea other than he wants to make a modern version of Elite. He doesn't even elaborate on the mechanics or design or anything. Moreover it seems his company is stocked with a bunch of twenty-something year olds who weren't even conceived within ten years of the release of the original game. Fargo at least had many of the old and experience developers who worked with him before.

Only retard here is one who would put out money to a guy who says he wants to make a new version of a game he made thirty years ago with noting more than that statement and a single static box shot/title image to show for it.

And what's with the £? I thought kickstarter was $ only. And I didn't know that you can run it for 60 days. Is that new?

They recently opened things up to international purchasing/funding (it is Amazon payments after all so it was only a matter of time). As far as the time, that's been available for a while. Skyjacker had a 60 day window several months ago.

circ

Arcane
Braben has supposedly been working on Elite 4 (Deangeras) on and off for years. But the talk's been of an MMOOORRMGOIGPG, so I'm not exactly excited. Wonder when Derek Smart shows up on KS.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Well it's even worse if he's actually been working on it but has nothing to show for it -- or choose not to put it on the KS page.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I would pledge for a new version of Elite if it is single player, has no draconian DRM, and if the space combat is closer to the dog fights of the original Elite and not the tedious realistic physics combat of Frontier.

Sadly I don't have this information, and will therefore not pledge.

Wasteland 2
There will be singleplayer and there is no reason to expect any DRM, let alone "draconian".

The lack of "tedious realistic physics" is actually the main selling point of this kickcstarter and the reason I've canceled my pledge.
It looks like you should pledge imo.:M
( also, fuck you )

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There will be singleplayer and there is no reason to expect any DRM, let alone "draconian".

The lack of "tedious realistic physics" is actually the main selling point of this kickcstarter and the reason I've canceled my pledge.
It looks like you should pledge imo.:M
( also, fuck you )

Oblivion is a great game.

Wasteland 2
To be fair, kickstarter FAQ says there will be Newtonian physics.
Was it there from the beginning and I missed it due to not reading the pitch to the end, or they've added it recently ?

Still, even if there is inertia force somewhere in the flight model, that doesn't mean much. They can make it irrelevant with unrealistically powerful thrusters, limiting max speed, limiting relative speed, or something else.
In fact, they have to make it irrelevant if they want planetary landing, that doesn't take too much time to perform without time compression.
Also when I think of physics simulation I think about realistic exploration of star systems.
That still seems to be interfering with this project goals and incompatible with multiplayer dogfights that seems to be a such a big deal.
Combat was not the thing I've played Frontier for.

The bottom line is, this is not supposed to be Frontier, but Elite sequel. Maybe no reason to hate on it it because of that...
But I have no interest in backing it and find it a bit sad. If Braben don't want to develop Frontier idea further, who will ?
Yes, there is Pioneer, but it aims only to be a polished remake, nothing more. I want more.

octavius : Indeed... another good reason to pledge ;)
Arena – Daggerfal – … – Oblivion
Elite – Frontier – … – Elite: Dangerous

:troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looking at all the high quality games we at Frontier have produced, from RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 to Kinectimals to LostWinds to Disneyland Adventures, I think the risk of non-delivery is small.

M:

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Its mostly just concept stuff on show, modernized ship designs that are pretty recognizable and still pretty vague on multiplayer.
You notice what looks like gameplay in the background running on the screens, its certainly gonna have a lot of scale.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
I.Want.To.Believe

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom