Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elite: Dangerous

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I already wrote in another thread, in ancient Persia they would have walled him in a cell with nothing to do but play No Mans Sky for the rest of his life. That would be what he deserves, for being the shillertroll that he is.

Tommy Gun

Arcane
Advice from the experts in this thread needed please.

I'd like to play Elite: Dangerous, but I do not know if my PC is up to it.

This is what I have.
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I put my info in this website http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=483&graphics=GeForce GTX 550 Ti
http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/?gid=483&graphics=GeForce GTX 550 Ti

And it tells me that my
CPU is 253%
GPU is 95%
RAM is 200%
Of the minimum system requirements

And my
CPU 183%
GPU 31%
RAM 100%
Of the recommended system requirements

So the GPU is just 5% under the minimum system requirements and 31% of the recommended system requirements.
Will I be able to play the game, or will I need to upgrade? If I need to upgrade, any advice on what to buy, new but cheap

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This is what I have.
Windows 7 Home Premium

I put my info in this website

And it tells me that my
CPU is 253%
GPU is 95%
RAM is 200%

And my
CPU 183%
GPU 31%
RAM 100%

So the GPU is just 5% under the minimum system requirements and 31% of the recommended system requirements.
Will I be able to play the game, or will I need to upgrade? If I need to upgrade, any advice on what to buy, new but cheap
Well I have a much weaker setup (AMD X4 955, 8GB RAM, ATI HD6870) and in max settings, without anti aliasing, I have 30 fps in stations, 50-60 fps in space and unfortunately around 20 fps above planet ground stations. Since your setup is quite stronger, you will have no playing the game at a good framerate.

Burning Bridges

I cannot contribute much because I'm way over the requirements. But I heard Elite runs well on rather low end systems.

As with all modern titles, just make sure you got at least 8 GB RAM and a somewhat decent graphics card. Which seems a problem, your GPU is terribly old.
So what you could do is see how the game looks at minimal settings, and if you can't play it, get a new graphics card for 150$ (RX460?).

Morkar Left

You could buy the Arena stand-alone and test. Maybe it's still free by now. But your biggest problem would be planets. That's where it slows down the most. But landing on planets isn't that interesting anyway.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I used to play it on my Radeon HD7770 at 1080 with settings at medium~ at a good framerate, I think they're similar cards in terms of performance so you shouldn't have much trouble. Never tested planets though.

Tommy Gun

Arcane
OK, thanks for the help all, I’m encouraged to try this out now. I'm thinking of getting just the base game, I'm not too bothered about the buggy and driving about on the planets, its trading and exploring that interests me more for now.

Burning Bridges

Though landings on planets with military stations and all is one of the most athmospheric things in the game. But no point if your rig can't handle it, and it will probably get only better with time.

Should have gotten the game when it was on discount, you could have bought the whole game for about the same price you now pay for base :(

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck, I switched to the turret view in the buggy and I can't swith it back nomatter what I do. XD

Stokowski

Arcane
Is there a docking computer yet?

Or a fastdrive that doesn't need manual braking?

Clearly I am
(a) a filthy casual
(b) stunned that tedious, repetitive "work" elements are now considered gameplay (is this the fault of MMOs?) when the Elite of 32 years ago understood the separation between fun and time-wasting labour.
(c) kingcomrade

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Is there a docking computer yet?

Or a fastdrive that doesn't need manual braking?

Clearly I am
(a) a filthy casual
(b) stunned that tedious, repetitive "work" elements are now considered gameplay (is this the fault of MMOs?) when the Elite of 32 years ago understood the separation between fun and time-wasting labour.
(c) kingcomrade
Docking computer is available from the beginning. And although you are a filthy casual for asking for a "fastdrive", I agree with you. I hate that when I have to take a long trip, I can't just leave the game alone (like in EVE Online), because I have to manually break and turn to the next destination manually. That is maybe the worst part of Elite for me.

Burning Bridges

You are sure kidding now. It cannot get easier than it is now. Just adjust speed to an estimated arrival at 8-10 seconds and you will never miss a target. And if you want to take a pee, just leave your throttle at a set speed.
I mean you travel dozens of light years in a few seconds, how one could complain about lack of casualness is beyond me.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You are sure kidding now. It cannot get easier than it is now. Just adjust speed to an estimated arrival at 8-10 seconds and you will never miss a target. And if you want to take a pee, just leave your throttle at a set speed.
I mean you travel dozens of light years in a few seconds, how one could complain about lack of casualness is beyond me.
Wait, I think we are talking about 2 different things. Maybe I misunderstood what Stokowki meant under "fastdrive". I was talking about travelling between systems, so if I want to travel 100 ly away, with 20 jumps, I have to be at the computer all the time because you arrive at a sun by default and you have to turn away, unless you want to emergency exit of hyperspace. It could be good if we had autopilot when you travel through dozens of systems.

Mortmal

Arcane

This is what I have.
Windows 7 Home Premium

I put my info in this website

And it tells me that my
CPU is 253%
GPU is 95%
RAM is 200%

And my
CPU 183%
GPU 31%
RAM 100%

Should probably be fine, if not look at tom's hardware for" best bang buck" video card. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html#p2
Usually its a radeon , the lowest price in the list is probably ton better already than your old 550 Ti now.

Burning Bridges

praetor is there a reason for going through all of my posts and automatically rating them as dumb, regardless of what I was saying?

This was the predictable outcome of this new rating crap. Bitches going on revenge-rating sprees when the butthurt gets too much :lol:

Burning Bridges

Wait, I think we are talking about 2 different things. Maybe I misunderstood what Stokowki meant under "fastdrive". I was talking about travelling between systems, so if I want to travel 100 ly away, with 20 jumps, I have to be at the computer all the time because you arrive at a sun by default and you have to turn away, unless you want to emergency exit of hyperspace. It could be good if we had autopilot when you travel through dozens of systems.

Yeah, we sure would need that. But then it would also be incredible dumb. So what is more important?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Yeah, we sure would need that. But then it would also be incredible dumb. So what is more important?
I just miss the EVE Online style travelling where I could leave the game for 30 seconds so it can finish its 100 jump. :D

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I sort of burned out after 140h. It was really fun but now NPCs are ruining it for me.

It's not like they are invincible. But there are just too many of them in places where it makes no sense. If I discover a new star and want to do some mining on my discovery I dont expect to be attacked within minutes by half a dozen pirates within 30 minutes.

So far I see three 4 games: trading, fighting, exploration and mining. Trading is fun because of flying and landind but becomes European Truck Simulator. Fighting is also fun but not really what I am after. Exploration has the most potential but is incredibly time consuming and does not have much gameplay involved except fuel scooping. And mining is totally ruined by NPCs which attack you light years from the next station for a few units of Bauxit, with ships costing up to 100,000,000 credits.

So you just realized after 140 hours that it is shit, congrats you just saved yourself 400 hours unlike those guys on steam taht post negative reviews. But remember to play 200 more so you can post a negative steam review

Burning Bridges

Makabb Yeah, that's kind of what it is buddy. I keep it installed, and I'll sure play a little bit more but the big motivation is gone. I have 137 hours which was totally worth it, lots of fun until I got everything done, and I rarely play a game much longer than that. Cannot say how much I played the original Elite but probably similar. Well, there were a few games which I played a lot more like Pirates, Shogun Total War, JA2 or Grand Prix Legends. But for 33€ this was absolutely satisfying.

P.S. I just checked and I played >720h in The Hunter alone :D Still, everything above 100 hours is worth a purchase.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Bro you wasted those 33$, that 140 hours is surely not enough, you have to play 1000 hours to get worth of those 33$ otherwise the game is shit, and after 1000 hours tell us how much you hate it

Burning Bridges

Dont be silly I earn 33€ in less than 2 hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom