Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah but first time through you probably won't focus on combat 100%. But you should.

Finished game!
Ending is... eh.

I like the plot though, old-fashioned and iffy as it was. I'd happily play the sequel. I think the hook is good and it'd be nice to see.

The final battle... well, for all my shitting on 2-handed weapons, I /did/ beat the final boss in two full 2-handed combos. I did buff up first, though. Still, that's... pretty damn good.

I played the entire game, start to finish, on Ultra, and picked mostly combat and survival talents with a dash of buffing spells.

I got the 'cold' ending - which seems like the 'good' ending to me, though I haven't seen the others. But it certainly made sense. Somewhat.

In the end my happiness to play a new Gothic game made me overlook some serious flaws with this game.

However, flawed as it is, this is a big greater than the sum of its part kind of deal and I would not hesitate to rate the game 7-8 out of 10 (on a Jasede scale, where even a 5 is still decent).
The things that hold it back are the same as every PB game: bugs, combat could be smoother, writing could use some work. However, world-building and exploration are Gothic-tier, even if the atmosphere isn't.

I felt very happy to have paid full price for this.

:salute:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Wait a second, though.
My ending was very Berserker centric-

Are you telling me each faction has its own ending, and then each a cold/neutral/passionate version!?

Edit: this epilogue is dope, Reinhold is such a bro.

Last edited:

Cunt destroyer

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Elex. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the mechanics will go over a typical player's head. There's also Jax's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these quests, to realize that they're not just free exp- they say something deep about MAGALAN. As a consequence people who dislike ELEX truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Felk's existencial catchphrase "Initiating Combat," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Björn Pankratz's genius unfolds itself on their screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have an ELEX tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 cold points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
af6d34f83b16d27b5fc377a3cd9258df.png

LOL at Steam posting a negative RPS review as 'news'...

Edit: holy fuck, 58 hours? The fuck did I even do? I only found 4 map pieces, didn't finish the picture hunting quest and didn't even hit 5 of the teleporters...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
At level 15, took down two of these bad boys. How? Hand Grenades were super effective. Nothing else I would touch them with even left a dent.
4CA89D8D57C371BDA319F4B5E41C5FC1D78A6525

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Those bastards were dangerous for the entire game though it became more manageable at level 40... (Ultra)

I think if you use gunz or shock weapons you can stun them?

Game should have had EMP grenades.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The double barreled shotgun works fine against the mechs. Probably all ranged attacks do. Trying to melee them is not recommended.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The double barreled shotgun works fine against the mechs. Probably all ranged attacks do. Trying to melee them is not recommended.
If you can do a bunch of damage with a single hit, they aren't too hard to give 'em a single two-hander strike followed by a quick jetpack backwards, and repeat. Works fairly consistently for me at level 22 on difficult.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Got this on steam. We shoul invite him on Codex.

A generation of instant noodles.
So since TES3 Morrowind and with the end of Gothic II and the obvious end of PB era, I noticed that I stopped enjoying video games from my heart. And have a look at my library. I know gaming.

It all boils down to the feeling that all games became more and more framed. Framed. Now what the ♥♥♥♥ do I mean by that?

If you have never played and actually enjoyed TES3 or the Gothic I and II games you probably would never truely understand. But here I go anyways:

Framed means that the game is not rough, fractal, imperfect, like any true adventure is. How many of us had complained about the combat system of GI&II and how many hardcore TES1&2 fans complained about the lack of complexity of TES3.

And still, Morrowind and the Gothic series are still alive, to this very day. For a good reason.

Games were not anymore about offering an actual immerse adventure, by sacrificing perfection, but by granting instant gratification.

Whatsapp, instant message. Feels good. Quick.
Facebook-Like, instant like. Feels good. Give me more.
Myspace, all the attention. Feels good. Give me, give me.
MSM, ICQ, instant messaging...
all these side-innovations took away what reality is all about. Development...
The actual biological WILL to dive into a great adventure.

Developers actually had to DEVELOP an adventure. Not use predefined recipes. Because noone would be interested in these so-called Ping-Pong games you call immersive RPGs nowadays.

And yes, that comes at the price of you making compromises. And actually THINK during combat.

You have a jetpack. If you get wacked by the enemies in the beginning, you havent used your jetpack. Or missed the point of an adventure at all, because of your relativistic TES4 Oblivion experience, that the world around you will - gladly - take your hand and level up according to your own development.

You dont attack an fierce looking monster you can hear its roar whilst asleep a mile away. That thing is stronger than you. Act quick, grab the elex next to it and RUN.

I could add so much more,...but it is so CLEAR that games dulled, and dumbed down because of this whiny generation, over a course of 10 years. With its peak being Mass Effect 4, were now even characters have to look like freaks because muh feelings...

Hand holding, crying, not paying, refunding, because muh tears, muh lack of insta-fun.

But this year, 2017, I am finally having this feeling of adventure again that I felt when playing Gothic I and II, TES3, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Thief, Drakan...

PB was brave enough to not give a f*ck about this postmodern trends and deliver us a real adventure.

Good damnit PB, I am so glad you did this. And I really hope that you read this. Thanks to all of you, and every fan who understands what I am desperately trying to say here.

tl;dr most fun since 2002. <3 piranha bytes

PirateScum

Augur
Those bastards were dangerous for the entire game though it became more manageable at level 40... (Ultra)

I think if you use gunz or shock weapons you can stun them?

Game should have had EMP grenades.

Or 2-3 Scattershots at point-blank with Shadowsomething bow you can find, with level 17 on Normal. The HP bloat is real!

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Also, just because Piranha Bytes cannot get enough of being incompetent, there's a 100 save limit in the game. If you create more than 100 saves, the game will simply stop saving.
I just remembered something about a previous PB game and then this post randomly mid game, and I just want to clarify that this is an intended decision. Saves in PB games are rather large, and in Risen 2 you had unlimited amounts of saves and quick saves or autosaves didn't overwrite each other after 5 or 10 or whatever, and this meant that if you save very often you would end up with over 2 gigabytes in saves pretty easily.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

A generation of instant noodles.
So since TES3 Morrowind and with the end of Gothic II and the obvious end of PB era, I noticed that I stopped enjoying video games from my heart. And have a look at my library. I know gaming.

It all boils down to the feeling that all games became more and more framed. Framed. Now what the ♥♥♥♥ do I mean by that?

If you have never played and actually enjoyed TES3 or the Gothic I and II games you probably would never truely understand. But here I go anyways:

Framed means that the game is not rough, fractal, imperfect, like any true adventure is. How many of us had complained about the combat system of GI&II and how many hardcore TES1&2 fans complained about the lack of complexity of TES3.

And still, Morrowind and the Gothic series are still alive, to this very day. For a good reason.

Games were not anymore about offering an actual immerse adventure, by sacrificing perfection, but by granting instant gratification.

Whatsapp, instant message. Feels good. Quick.
Facebook-Like, instant like. Feels good. Give me more.
Myspace, all the attention. Feels good. Give me, give me.
MSM, ICQ, instant messaging...
all these side-innovations took away what reality is all about. Development...
The actual biological WILL to dive into a great adventure.

Developers actually had to DEVELOP an adventure. Not use predefined recipes. Because noone would be interested in these so-called Ping-Pong games you call immersive RPGs nowadays.

And yes, that comes at the price of you making compromises. And actually THINK during combat.

You have a jetpack. If you get wacked by the enemies in the beginning, you havent used your jetpack. Or missed the point of an adventure at all, because of your relativistic TES4 Oblivion experience, that the world around you will - gladly - take your hand and level up according to your own development.

You dont attack an fierce looking monster you can hear its roar whilst asleep a mile away. That thing is stronger than you. Act quick, grab the elex next to it and RUN.

I could add so much more,...but it is so CLEAR that games dulled, and dumbed down because of this whiny generation, over a course of 10 years. With its peak being Mass Effect 4, were now even characters have to look like freaks because muh feelings...

Hand holding, crying, not paying, refunding, because muh tears, muh lack of insta-fun.

But this year, 2017, I am finally having this feeling of adventure again that I felt when playing Gothic I and II, TES3, Arx Fatalis, Deus Ex, Thief, Drakan...

PB was brave enough to not give a f*ck about this postmodern trends and deliver us a real adventure.

Good damnit PB, I am so glad you did this. And I really hope that you read this. Thanks to all of you, and every fan who understands what I am desperately trying to say here.

tl;dr most fun since 2002. <3 piranha bytes

He even crams a dig against postmodernism in there, doesn't get more Codex than that.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
At level 15, took down two of these bad boys. How? Hand Grenades were super effective. Nothing else I would touch them with even left a dent.
4CA89D8D57C371BDA319F4B5E41C5FC1D78A6525
I could kill them with my 60 damage war bow easily by running, shooting, running and shooting, they drop pretty fast. Even easier if you can find a blind spot where it can't hit you. You could also get a flamethrower and spam fireball at them which keeps them stun locked, you can buy it from some of the Outlaws I think.

Sounds like a proper lad, he'd make a great addition to our merry crew of white power.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Also, just because Piranha Bytes cannot get enough of being incompetent, there's a 100 save limit in the game. If you create more than 100 saves, the game will simply stop saving.
It seems like a limit carried over from consoles and PB simply doesn't care (or cannot afford) to #IFDEF. Both Microsoft and Sony allow imited space for saves. If the game doesn't comply it does not pass the certification process. I think the limit is most severe on XBone - just some 250 MB iirc.

Tigranes

Arcane
For me the way to kill the mechs was fire spell. Even at 3 Magic skill I can take one mech down from afar before it/other mechs/other soldiers swarm me.

ortucis

Prophet
Found another broken quest.

Mad Bob's "Scrap Transport" quest. I chose to side with Clerics and kill every Outlaw in the camp, but when I go back to Mad Bob, no dialogue exists to finish the quest. So basically, you can only complete that quest helping Outlaws (luckily I can peacefully Suggest clerics to move on).

To side with the clerics you don’t need to kill anyone. Just tell Volkmar you’ll lie to mad bob and then go lie to him. Just be prepared for some late breaking consequences—you almost always get caught lying eventually in this game.

I know, except I wanted to kill them for Clerics to take over.

As a devoted follower, I believe in cleansing the ELEX world of greedy and stupid. I did so, but was not rewarded with quest completion. That makes me angry.

ortucis

Prophet

They are bad alright, underwhelmingly bad.

I was expecting some Mechwarrior shit, but these Mechs are just re-skinned Raptors with high health. I like how comically fast they move, like a human enemy and how they are so easily defeated. Bleh!

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did so right away and noticed a large increase in my melee-only, two-handed-only berserker.

I don't recommend playing this way though - 2-handed is even worse than in Gothic 1/2. Stick with 1-handed or use a gun/bow/whatever.

What's wrong with two-handed in Gothic 2? That's how I've been rolling. Sure, a bit challenging initially, when your stats and skills are low... and it's not very easy to get a good two-hander, but later on you simply murder stuff. So classic Gothic progression at its finest.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
That's a wrap folks.

8UL8xuJ.png

I usually hate the starting projects of an intellectual property having this much of a massive sequel hook unless they are clearly sequential stories but Elex does an honorable job. Jax's journey is conclusive and we clearly know what Elex 2 and onward will be about.

Volken

Scholar
Germans should work faster on patches. :x It's more than a week since release, about time for a patch, at least. I'm not even talking about Enhanced Edition which is essential here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom