Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah that's a pretty shitty investment. If it adds up to 50% total then I will deal only around 60 damage with the poison spell and 49.5 with ice shards, although ice shards is a very fast attack speed spell. I don't really think it's worth it, might as well invest in a better bow instead.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
How does the Magic ability work? Does each level increase it by 10%, or will only the first level give it 10%, then 5% afterwards for each level? Magic seems like a kinda shitty investment at the moment.

10% damage or duration per skill. It actually makes a huge difference in damage when you upgrade it, and if you're using the armor / weapon buff spells, you'll want the extra duration as well.

Grimlorn

Arcane
0 - purely emotional
1-10 - expressive
11-20 - irrational
21-30 - spontaneous
31-40 - intuitive
41-59 - neutral
60-68 - dispassionate, should be 60-69, the 69th text is bugged and states purely emotional
70-78 - mellow, again should be 70-79, the 79th text is bugged and states purely emotional
80-88 - logical, and again should be 80-89, the 89th text is bugged and states purely emotional
90+ ice cold
:argh:
I noticed the bug on my game. Went from Mellow to Purely Emotional. Had no idea what I did. Drank some elex potions. Only like 5, and it went back to mellow.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
How does the Magic ability work? Does each level increase it by 10%, or will only the first level give it 10%, then 5% afterwards for each level? Magic seems like a kinda shitty investment at the moment.

10% damage or duration per skill. It actually makes a huge difference in damage when you upgrade it, and if you're using the armor / weapon buff spells, you'll want the extra duration as well.
I did so right away and noticed a large increase in my melee-only, two-handed-only berserker.

I don't recommend playing this way though - 2-handed is even worse than in Gothic 1/2. Stick with 1-handed or use a gun/bow/whatever.

ortucis

Prophet
Found another broken quest.

Mad Bob's "Scrap Transport" quest. I chose to side with Clerics and kill every Outlaw in the camp, but when I go back to Mad Bob, no dialogue exists to finish the quest. So basically, you can only complete that quest helping Outlaws (luckily I can peacefully Suggest clerics to move on).

Also, level 30, pretty much unlocked every useful ability. Killing enemies pretty easily now. There are still some skull level enemies but they aren't a real threat.

PS: Definitely add points in combat's "Ranged" skills. That little 10-30% boost is a huge boost in this game. I am only now upgrading those, but then again, I am using a shotgun that does 91 (+ my skill boost) damage.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Mad Bob's "Scrap Transport" quest. I chose to side with Clerics and kill every Outlaw in the camp, but when I go back to Mad Bob, no dialogue exists to finish the quest. So basically, you can only complete that quest helping Outlaws (luckily I can peacefully Suggest clerics to move on).

To side with the clerics you don’t need to kill anyone. Just tell Volkmar you’ll lie to mad bob and then go lie to him. Just be prepared for some late breaking consequences—you almost always get caught lying eventually in this game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
0 - purely emotional
1-10 - expressive
11-20 - irrational
21-30 - spontaneous
31-40 - intuitive
41-59 - neutral
60-68 - dispassionate, should be 60-69, the 69th text is bugged and states purely emotional
70-78 - mellow, again should be 70-79, the 79th text is bugged and states purely emotional
80-88 - logical, and again should be 80-89, the 89th text is bugged and states purely emotional
90+ ice cold
:argh:
good game review chart

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Not true. I cleaned castle ruins near Berserkers without it, found nice enchanted melee weapon, which I coudn't use yet of course, but later... oh my!
I did too, but it's a fucking hassle to run in and then out again - if I play it again, I'll just stay away from it until I've got a gas mask and a rank in poison resistance. It's easy enough to get.
DAMN I JUST reopened the game and my saves disapeared......
anyone had the same bug?im using the gog version and while i saved normally i exited the game and when reopen it the saves where not there.....
Are you retarded? I told you how to fix it earlier, and told you explicitly that the game wouldn't save for you.
PS: Definitely add points in combat's "Ranged" skills. That little 10-30% boost is a huge boost in this game. I am only now upgrading those, but then again, I am using a shotgun that does 91 (+ my skill boost) damage.
By the time you've got two ranks in the ranged skill and tier two-three weapons, you'll be reliably killing pretty much anything on Normal, skull or no skull. The curve in this game is fucking retarded, but I guess it has to be, given that combat is so shit that nobody sane wants to bother with it. There's only two modes - complete and utter bullet-sponging vs. shhssh sssh it'll be over soon.

To side with the clerics you don’t need to kill anyone. Just tell Volkmar you’ll lie to mad bob and then go lie to him. Just be prepared for some late breaking consequences—you almost always get caught lying eventually in this game.
It's still pretty shitty that you can break it like that. Killing the outlaws is a pretty reasonable thing to do. Responsible, even. They are, after all, fucking outlaws.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Alright, firing up ELEX. So what's the difficulty settings do? What's Ultra encourage me to do that Normal doesn't?

Murk

Arcane
You can change difficulty mid-game, so just start on whatever and adjust as necessary. Later, when you get tier 2 energy or plasma weapons, you may want to raise difficulty if you're not already on Ultra as it becomes a bit too easy.

Flamethrowers especially are retarded. Cheap as hell ammo, fast attack, huge "magazine", fast as hell reload, etc.

Plasma too, with the orb setting.

Those should at least use more ammo, have slower rate of fire, or something to balance out how ridiculous they are.

I still love blasting people around tho, pretty funny.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ultra is great if you want to be unable to fight the hardest mobs unless you drink Elex like a crack whore and also get to level ~35 first (while still being murdered by groups unless you cheese them with flamethrower/fireball/exploding plasma)

I am not sure I can recommend Ultra. It extends the "run away from everything and quest" phase for a long, long time, until you are level ~13 or so.

What Murk said is sensible. Pick whatever you feel like, then adjust it up or down on the fly. Probably down earlier and up later. Unless you enjoy running!

Worth pointing out, that's 10% over what you do. This can often translate to larger gains than you might assume.

Bullshit hypothetical:

Damage: 30
DR on enemy: 25
Actual damage per hit: 5

With this skill,

Damage: 33
DR on enemy: 25
Actual damage per hit: 8

= 60% damage increase.

Anybody here read German?

Looks like the devs did an interview about the attribute concern:

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/elex-attribute-ohne-wirkung-feature-und-kein-bug,3321408.html

I do not read German, but the poster on the original site says they confirm the game is working as planned.

TLDR. is attributes doing nothing is PB's intention. Game is 'HUGE' so for difficulty to remain relevant throughout only gear (weapons) does shit. Some skill descriptions are garbage but deal with it.

That is... quite sad. Although it's already been suspected for a long time.
I was hoping that wouldn't be true. That perhaps you need certain skills to unlock attribute effects (like in G2 Strength being added to damage only on critical hits - which depend on weapon skill).
While there still is character progression, specialization is apparently not rewarded. There is no incentive to go higher then ability/gear requirements with stats. With enough time and effort you can apparently master everything (well except the faction specific skills). A shame. I dislike this kind of design.
I mean character development wise Fallout 4 forces more specialization then this...

Yeah. The progression is stair stepped vs a more natural curve. Whomever thinks this in any way models how people really adapt with experience should be slapped.

Further, assuming later levels take more XP than lower levels (as has been the convention in RPGs), the plateau between these quantized jumps in progression will get longer and longer.

The upside to knowing this, however, is you can horde attribute points until a need arises which can fulfilled. The downside is worth, as this approach makes "leveling" anticlimactic unless you can fulfill requirements for something (which often isn't the case).

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Difficult seemed to go pretty well for me, might try Ultra in a second playthrough. But yeah, play with it.

Keep finding all these legendary guns but I SHALL TAKE THEM TO THE PIT by which I mean thank you 5000 elexit

bataille

Arcane
If you start getting hard resets while playing the game, don't restart and try again, don't repeat my mistakes: it corrupted my windows to the point of it not being salvageable. I've seen two people mention that, but thought it was some bullshit; sadly, it was not.
Don't know if it's relevant, but it started happening upon entering one of the converters (the one with some quest radio part in the locked room), 28 hours in.
Just letting you know.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yeah. After 20 rests, Caja reset back to normal. I think it takes 30 total so I had some from earlier.

Game gets good. Damn good.

Game was fun for me at the start (well, after the jet pack).

... but the game really opened up when I wasn't being raped by every squirrel in the damn forest, around level 15.

The first 11 hours were enjoyable, but the progression curve was insanely horizontal. I kept finding cool kit, but didn't have the stats for anything.

After discovering Elex Potions, and getting some focused goals in mind, I have arrived at a point where I can hold my own (if I stay maneuverable).

This game is seriously flawed, but also seriously great in many respects too.

Likely won't replay once I beat it on my first play through, though. I'll await the sequel.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Also this let me finish Caja's optional companion quest -- yuge sequel hook + big spoilers there.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Alright, firing up ELEX. So what's the difficulty settings do? What's Ultra encourage me to do that Normal doesn't?
...to smash less monster in nobrainer manner.

It extends the "run away from everything and quest" phase for a long, long time, until you are level ~13 or so.
If you built up PC for fight - from 7-8, with modified wepon 1-2 lvl.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom