Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Jinn

Arcane
That's why Dark Souls is extremely satisfying when you git gud while this game is like a puzzle challenge with correct path where you avoid instagib shit until you are strong enough to press I win button.

Ofc people who haven't played any Souls game / Ninja Gaiden know shit about proper action combat and are easily impressed by sad turds like Elex. Western action RPGs are fucking space years behind in proper exection of simple combat mechanics.

You are looking for an action game, not an ARPG.

Achilles

Arcane
It's not only good design, it's great design. It blocks off certain areas and acts as a measure for your progress. Taking out that big troll/"Unhold" or demon-thingie stomping around will feel like an accomplishment since it won't be in the way anymore and won't be annoying you while travelling through the same area anymore, although granted this effect is lessened a lot by the Teleporter system while it was huge in games like Gothic or Risen when you could finally get rid of that big baddie and progress into another new part of the map.

Maybe there's a bit of confusion here, of course non level-scaled enemies is good design. Level scaling sucks balls. I was asking specifically about super powerful enemies residing very close to settlements. It seems to me that in a realistic world settlements would not be very close to life-threatening packs of creatures. Either because people would prefer to build their settlements in safe areas or because the creatures themselves would retreat to a different location as civilization pushes the wilderness back. Even if such a creature found itself inhabiting space close to a camp, wouldn't the people there try and remove it since it would pose a grave danger to everyone entering and leaving the camp?

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
The truth is that the concept of level gated items and your pathetic weakness in this game really make no sense,especially when the story keeps telling you how great the Commander Jax is in the art of war.How come the defected Albs still have ability to use kewl weapons but my Jax can barely pick it's nose without dying,even tho I still consume Elex.

Why the fuck can't these games be like Dark Souls,The Surge,Nioh where you can still be significant enough to do some damage but also get insta-gibbed if you get hit.Running around doing some mundane chores to level up and knowing that if I come back I will one shot that pesky mob is getting tiresome and has to be worst system ever.They really need to work on the ai,hitboxes,animations and really take a look at Darks Souls,where you still have some decency while fighting but also get shit on if you can't press more than one button at a time.

It's not fun anymore because the game is easy no matter what,knowing that all you have to do is,avoid everything till you level up and get some new shiny items by doing some pesky chores and you come back as panzer bullshiting your way through everything.There's no challenge in these games anymore and something needs to be done.

That's why Dark Souls is extremely satisfying when you git gud while this game is like a puzzle challenge with correct path where you avoid instagib shit until you are strong enough to press I win button.

Ofc people who haven't played any Souls game / Ninja Gaiden know shit about proper action combat and are easily impressed by sad turds like Elex. Western action RPGs are fucking space years behind in proper exection of simple combat mechanics.

And don't you fucking tell me about good combat system when I have beaten all Souls games on SL 1 run. I know when shit combat is shit and when it's good.
Sure, let's bring the Souls games to every discussion because it's relevant.

Who can't remember how similar Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and Demon Souls were! I practically had trouble telling which one I was playing!

All three had some 3D dude running and attacking stuff with a weapon, people! So it's OK to draw comparisons!

And don't you fucking tell me about good combat system when I have beaten all Souls games on SL 1 run. I know when shit combat is shit and when it's good.
264.jpg

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The truth is that the concept of level gated items and your pathetic weakness in this game really make no sense,especially when the story keeps telling you how great the Commander Jax is in the art of war.How come the defected Albs still have ability to use kewl weapons but my Jax can barely pick it's nose without dying,even tho I still consume Elex.

Why the fuck can't these games be like Dark Souls,The Surge,Nioh where you can still be significant enough to do some damage but also get insta-gibbed if you get hit.Running around doing some mundane chores to level up and knowing that if I come back I will one shot that pesky mob is getting tiresome and has to be worst system ever.They really need to work on the ai,hitboxes,animations and really take a look at Darks Souls,where you still have some decency while fighting but also get shit on if you can't press more than one button at a time.

It's not fun anymore because the game is easy no matter what,knowing that all you have to do is,avoid everything till you level up and get some new shiny items by doing some pesky chores and you come back as panzer bullshiting your way through everything.There's no challenge in these games anymore and something needs to be done.
even if all his warrior skills were somehow attributed to his stolen armor it's still stupid as fuck that he suddenly can't wield anything but a stick and can't throw a fucking leather rag on without solving a bunch of other people's problems first. it's a sad thing that fallout 3 made more sense than this game or twitcher 3 for that matter. experience points are an abstraction for the skills you develop in time based on the shit you do. it makes sense when you lived your whole life in a fucking vault not to know how to shoot some mirelurk in the face from half a mile away with a pistol and not miss. and even then they didn't lock that gun away behind a fucking experience wall so you couldn't even hold it. what these crappy games do is use the abstraction without any regard to coherence. you don't have to be a fucking swordsmaster to lift a sword and try to use it. if anything has to be taught it's how to hit your target and defend yourself in the process. by all means, lock skills behind levels. that's what they're for. but don't tell me my character is too stupid or weak to even try especially after you tell me he's this really cool guy who used to be a professional mere fucking days ago. FFS

Last edited:

Volken

Scholar

You are looking for an action game, not an ARPG.

As an example, Dark Souls 3, even without perks, has more complex character stat system than influences how you play your character in a meaningful way (http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats). It has better and more complex melee, magic and ranged combat. Elex has... quests and jetpack?

He does
2918212-screen+shot+2015-08-07+at+16.28.56.png

Build him a fucking shrine to save you from Elex.

Last edited:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
it doesn't have to be a weapon. it could be a piece of armor. it also doesn't have to be better than what you are carrying but it DOES have to be possible to get something better.
That doesn't explain how item progression is a must in an RPG and especially it doesn't explain why everyone who liked the exploration is wrong. Exploring an environment in a videogame isn't just so that you can get a +1damage weapon.
you have a hard time grasping things, don't you? i'm not complaining i didn't find any uber swords at level 1. i'm complaining the game mechanics are set up so you CANNOT get anything uber at any level. maybe others like walking simulators, i don't know. if you can't get anything special while exploring and you know it, then there's really not much else to enjoy other than site seeing. it's not like the game features any puzzels. not even the idiotic kind skyrim had. if i had to venture a guess, i'd say they are graphics whores.

Jinn

Arcane
As an example, Dark Souls 3, even without perks, has more complex character stat system than influences how you play your character in a meaningful way (http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Stats). It has better and more complex melee, magic and ranged combat. Elex has... quests and jetpack?

Regardless of how many stats there are and how they interplay with the combat, their effect in ELEX has more impact on me than Dark Souls 3. There is more of a sense of solid character progression in ELEX. It's also not an apt comparison, because ELEX plays so much differently than Dark Souls 3 does. Dark Souls 3 is much more oriented towards an action based system, which is quickly made apparent when people can go through the whole game without leveling up or changing weapons.

I enjoy Darks Souls 3 and the whole franchise, don't get me wrong. But they are two different games that I play for two different reasons.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
First patch live on GoG.

Patch 1.1 (20 October 2017)
  • Added Czech language support
  • Spanish language selection issue fixed.
  • Fixed crash on systems with min 18 virtual (logical) CPU cores
  • Fixed a memory leak
Crafting
  • You can now upgrade shields.
  • Bugfixes for socketing weapons.
AI
  • Improved awareness when sneaking.
  • Improved navigation for NPCs and monsters.
  • Better party behavior from NPCs.
UI
  • Missing icons added.
  • Connection bugfixes.
  • Bugfixes for the world map.
  • Bugfixes for the skills display.
Gameplay
  • Bugfixes for item interactions.
  • Sleep will now also replenish energy.
  • Lock picks will break more often.
  • Reduced fall damage with the jet pack.
  • Appropriate behavior when you receive damage on a ladder.
  • Additional slots for autosaves.
  • Monster traps no longer have a focus.
Cutscenes
  • Slight optimization of cutscenes.
Story
  • Caja accompanies the player to all locations.
  • Both PSI amplifiers are now distributed.
  • Minor quest and display fixes.
NPCs
  • Aesthetic improvements to some armor.
  • Improved control of dialogue gestures.
  • Improved facial animations for women.
  • Improved transitions for motion sequences.
Combat
  • Shields can now block ranged weapons.
  • Improved targeting behavior from NPCs.
  • Fixed the situation where companions were not helping with battle in certain situations.
  • Grenades will now always ricochet off of obstacles.
  • Ball lightning will now always jump to the next target.
Dialogues
  • Improved camera in dialogues.
  • Improved placement of conversation partners.
Text
  • Updates and fixes.
Engine
  • Improved shadow mapping to sun position.
  • Eliminated flickering mist when the camera was too close to obstacles.
  • Subtitles are now deactivated by default when the same language is selected for voice and text.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This thread is fantastic.
Let me summarize: people encounter their first real RPG and are confused why you need to level up and learn skills to wield better weapons and kill harder enemies.

Achilles

Arcane
Let me summarize: people encounter their first real RPG and are confused why you need to level up and learn skills to wield better weapons and kill harder enemies.

This is a result of journalists and developers calling every action game with a level-up system an RPG.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

It doesn't make any sense you dumb fuck,Jax was one the best commanders of the albs,he was favored by the hybrid because he was a fierce fighter,every alb you will encounter will recognize you immediatly and ask you how such a great fighter like yourself got betrayed.How the hell does that translate in Jax not having the capability to equip something better than a dildo on a stick,half a day later before I get ''shot'',are you fucking kidding me?
I get it,you lost the elex from your system but I still found some more and still consume it,how the hell does the other alb defectors still have the capability to wear great equipment while I can't wear a pair of undies without raising my strength to 100.

Jax should be stronger and I don't mind getting one shot,but to have me degrade myself to hack at a chicken lookalike for 30 minutes and still not do more than 20% of it's health,is a pathetic design 101 and cheaper than an mmo done in a chinese factory,jesus christ you people make me sick.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jax should be stronger and I don't mind getting one shot,but to have me degrade myself to hack at a chicken lookalike for 30 minutes and still not do more than 20% of it's health

From what I've seen Elex has a typical PB curve - a bitchslap wimp initially, a godmode faceroller in the endgame.

To be fair to the whiners tho....it does seem they have possibly overdone it this time around? I haven't really started my Elex playthrough yet but in all Gothics and all Risens there were SOME enemies at the start that you could kill pretty comfortably. Is every single starting creature in Elex a crushing machine of death?

Jinn

Arcane
It doesn't make any sense you dumb fuck,Jax was one the best commanders of the albs,he was favored by the hybrid because he was a fierce fighter,every alb you will encounter will recognize you immediatly and ask you how such a great fighter like yourself got betrayed.How the hell does that translate in Jax not having the capability to equip something better than a dildo on a stick,half a day later before I get ''shot'',are you fucking kidding me?
I get it,you lost the elex from your system but I still found some more and still consume it,how the hell does the other alb defectors still have the capability to wear great equipment while I can't wear a pair of undies without raising my strength to 100.

Jax should be stronger and I don't mind getting one shot,but to have me degrade myself to hack at a chicken lookalike for 30 minutes and still not do more than 20% of it's health,is a pathetic design 101 and cheaper than an mmo done in a chinese factory,jesus christ you people make me sick.

1. Because you get severely wounded and are in ELEX withdrawal.

2. Albs work carefully and usually wear masks, as is apparent in the opening. They probably work hard to conceal their identity.

Elex has a typical PB curve - a bitchslap wimp initially, a godmode faceroller in the endgame.

To be fair to the whiners tho....it does seem they have possibly overdone it this time around? I haven't really started my Elex playthrough yet but in all Gothics and all Risens there were SOME enemies at the start that you could kill pretty comfortably. Is every single starting creature in Elex a crushing machine of death?

I would have agreed in the beginning before I learned how the combat works, just as I would have in the first Gothic. I feel this game gives enough respect to the player to figure out how things work.

Elex

Arbiter
It's not only good design, it's great design. It blocks off certain areas and acts as a measure for your progress. Taking out that big troll/"Unhold" or demon-thingie stomping around will feel like an accomplishment since it won't be in the way anymore and won't be annoying you while travelling through the same area anymore, although granted this effect is lessened a lot by the Teleporter system while it was huge in games like Gothic or Risen when you could finally get rid of that big baddie and progress into another new part of the map.

Maybe there's a bit of confusion here, of course non level-scaled enemies is good design. Level scaling sucks balls. I was asking specifically about super powerful enemies residing very close to settlements. It seems to me that in a realistic world settlements would not be very close to life-threatening packs of creatures. Either because people would prefer to build their settlements in safe areas or because the creatures themselves would retreat to a different location as civilization pushes the wilderness back. Even if such a creature found itself inhabiting space close to a camp, wouldn't the people there try and remove it since it would pose a grave danger to everyone entering and leaving the camp?
it's a leftover from gothic 1/2 map was relatively small and you have less space so you have to place that mob in the cave 2 meters from the camp main gate.

now in elex world is larger and look like an overkill but i notice that the "HARD" monster outside gates are manageable by the guards, and you are supposed to run and get help.

i found more "trap monster" in elex than in other pb games, for example the 2 albs after the custcene (they are actually killable but they do ton of damage) or the mud monster in the gather 8 plant quest.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
so give me the run down of Elex. Is performance good for potato PC's? For example Divinity Original Sin 2 doesn't run well on mine

Is combat the same as Gothic/ have there been no improvements? What's with the jetpack stuff?

Buy it on your playstation, F-A-G-G-O-T, then go discus it in the console-fag section of this website. Maybe there you will find answers that people will reply to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom