Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ELEX ELEX RELEASE THREAD

Reapa

Doom Preacher
if you hope to have to search for cogs to insert into a mechanism that will lower a bridge to some part of a ruined tower, forget about it because you have a jetpack with energy regeneration.

There's a quest about exactly that, gotta fix the elevator to the valley of the damned. :troll:
i'm not surprised it's a quest. that level of mechanical depth does require a lot of exposition, maybe some quest markers, and a journal entry at least. also something of that magnitude has to gate a whole region, so nobody will miss the level of detail we put in the game.
tell me, does the game feature anything similar in any other place? or was that it?

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you must have missed my point about open world with no reason to explore it.
I didn't miss your point. I just trust bros who I've found have similar taste in games as me and are good at articulating why games are good or bad over edgy faggots who try to look cool by saying a game is shit because of textures and "level gating" (and if this "level gating" is anything like Gothic it's a good thing and isn't actually gating at all).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's the exact same as in Gothic.
It's more of the same.

Good. That's what I wanted.

If only the enemies and gear scaled to your level so content wasn't gated. Shame PB didn't learn from the real masters of the RPG, Bethesda...

I wish we'd go back to posting tubgirl when someone is this stupid.

Jinn

Arcane
I didn't miss your point. I just trust bros who I've found have similar taste in games as me and are good at articulating why games are good or bad over edgy faggots who try to look cool by saying a game is shit because of textures and "level gating" (and if this "level gating" is anything like Gothic it's a good thing and isn't actually gating at all).

In case you missed it, these were my initial impressions. They have all held up in the 20+ hours I've played.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
It's more of the same.

If only the enemies and gear scaled to your level so content wasn't gated. Shame PB didn't learn from the real masters of the RPG, Bethesda...

keep jerking yourself off to the straw man you just built. it's not content that's level gated, it's rewards.
open world should go hand in hand with exploration, danger AND rewards. when you find a fucking light saber and still have to spend the next few hours of the game fighting with a fucking stick because hur dur gothic did it, we're dealing with the most lazy kind of exaggerated balance for the sake of a predictable linear experience in a fucking single player open world game.
i don't have a problem with people flinging insults as long as they have a valid point to make and back it up with good arguments, but you, jasede, are just a fucking imbecile that can't even grasp the most basic of concepts.
an open world game has nothing to offer if character power progression is linear. please take some time to meditate on that sentence. maybe one day you will figure out why both level scaling AND level gated equipment have something in common.

Phisto

Literate
TIL I need a stick and a carrot to appreciate anything. Fun isn't fun and exploration isn't exploration unless I'm getting a new weapon in every fight a la Borderlands.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
edgy faggots who try to look cool by saying a game is shit because of textures and "level gating"

Rule of thumb is whenever you hear someone talking about "gated content" or some such you can more or less assume you're dealing with a retard. These dildos have no idea about game design, they just use buzzwords they don't understand. There are some problems with level gating (Witcher 3 is a good example) but by and large the likes of Raapys are too dumb to go into these nuances.

An RPG needs a sense of progression so you either have:
- a world with fixed-difficulty mobs; therefore some places will have 15 HP rats and some 5000 HP trolls; therefore you can't just go anywhere from the get go; therefore "content gating" waaah
- a world with level scaled mobs

It's just like those college dumbfuck babbling about evils of cpatilsm hurr, not realizing the only alternative are death squads and gulags.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
TIL I need a stick and a carrot to appreciate anything. Fun isn't fun and exploration isn't exploration unless I'm getting a new weapon in every fight a la Borderlands.
it doesn't have to be a weapon. it could be a piece of armor. it also doesn't have to be better than what you are carrying but it DOES have to be possible to get something better.
what's with these straw men? am i in a straw men factory?

Elex

Arbiter
Christ, You people keep an incredible pace, no stopping to loiter around. Just based on my initial experience, 25 hours would be nearly impossible to me.

I once watched some other 'dexer play DX;MD almost on fast forward and thought "Jesus is this guy on coke or something".
I was a bit surprised at the low playtime to be honest. I read(but didnt listen to) all the dialog and wasn't in a particular rush. I even did silly stuff like teleport to a house to rest to regain PSI(instead of spending my potions). So yeah. The Black Hole spell must have cut hours and hours from the playtime though, turning every fight into a "rush in and destroy everything" routine.
i am around 9 hours and have just talked to ray and only explored around the berse city.

i have dome stuff like explore all the rooms in berserker hotel and loot all the stuff (it's full of small background details).

the game is full of small things to find even areas apparently empty have hidden note or treasure.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Men, I must bring up something important here. While most of you are running around and playing with your jetpacks, Raapys and I have been testing fundamental laws of ELEX combat.

I was pretty bummed about constant (Oblivion-like) block/parry, as opposed to Gothic/Risen timed parry. But then, I saw a youtube video today of ELEX combat, and the guy mentioned that if you hold down block and then click attack, it WILL do a timed parry. Not yet having the game, I asked Raapys who was flirting with asfasdf in Shoutbox to test this, and according to him, doing this during a guard attack causes the guard to become stunned for a short time.

Have we stumbled on a hereto unknown ELEX mechanic? I ask you all to test to this, because Raapys specced as a ranged ninny, and his ineffectual attack started a massive guard on guard riot.

I found this by accident yesterday too, the same fight when I learnt blocking vs wildlife was useful. But then again, I never tried using it before because I was sure it would only get unlocked with the relevant riposte skill
mystery.png

Elex

Arbiter
So I was going back to start point to explore that radar dish when I found what I thought was a good entrance into the structure only to fall down a dark mine shaft and land on top of the elevator. I was tapping space to survive the fall and it worked. Anyway, I'm stuck, please send help before I am forced to drink my own urine to survive.

lxylM2o.png
use teleport, there is stuff in the observatory but simply jump on the mountain (there is also a simpler rorad but require some exploration of the map)z

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
For anyone else playing on Ultra - without joining a faction, it'll take about to level 15-20 depending on build, and ideally a +2 weapon and some scrappy armor until you can attempt to fight most things.

At that point it's down to blocking. I can kill chimerae and those big mecha - if I play very carefully, never get hit and use some buffs / consumables.

Volken

Scholar
It's more of the same.

keep jerking yourself off to the straw man you just built. it's not content that's level gated, it's rewards.
open world should go hand in hand with exploration, danger AND rewards. when you find a fucking light saber and still have to spend the next few hours of the game fighting with a fucking stick because hur dur gothic did it, we're dealing with the most lazy kind of exaggerated balance for the sake of a predictable linear experience in a fucking single player open world game.
i don't have a problem with people flinging insults as long as they have a valid point to make and back it up with good arguments, but you, jasede, are just a fucking imbecile that can't even grasp the most basic of concepts.
an open world game has nothing to offer if character power progression is linear. please take some time to meditate on that sentence. maybe one day you will figure out why both level scaling AND level gated equipment have something in common.

While not necessarily a bad game it's not worth the full prince. I would buy it on sale for 50% or so less. It's not groundbreaking in any way, I honestly have no idea why those people here are praising it. Seems like a joke more than anything.
Or maybe they just like to be :mixedemotions:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's more of the same.

While not necessarily a bad game it's not worth the full prince. I would buy it on sale for 50% or so less. It's not groundbreaking in any way, I honestly have no idea why those people here are praising it. Seems like a joke more than anything.
Or maybe they just like to be :mixedemotions:
I don't know any game that is worth an entire prince. Maybe half a prince, but it has to be a European one.

Elex

Arbiter
It's more of the same.

lightsaber: the entire point of lightsaber is being a weapon extremely hard to acquire/build-yourself that need proper training and capacity for don't cut your arm while using it.

that's the reason why lightsaber is a powerfull weapon cool to use.

instead if you can kill lord mastersithlord loot a lightsaber at level 1 it's only trashloot from a trashmob.

for example if in a postapocaliptic game at level one you find a working power armor with a minigun and you can kill one of the stronger enemy, what is the point of explore a toxic wasteland and find allies?

Dexter

Arcane
It's the duty of the game to explain mechanics whether by tutorial or to have ingame encyclopedia/manual, and not expect the player is a psychic/fanboy or otherwise long supporter of the franchise[it has to approach player as he never played other installments, like a tabula rasa]. And on top of that, they expect the player will adapt to the shoddy mechanics, or do workaround around stupid things/mechanics.Or often advise to "have a certain frame of mind" when approaching PB games, and try to "immerse in the atmosphere/mood/charm to understand the game and have more fun". I swear too many people[presumably fanboys] use this excuse to cover PB incompetence.
God forbid games encourage players to think and figure things out for themselves.

What do you need explained? He's saying dangerous enemies next to the starting areas have been part and parcel of the Gothic series since the very beginning; it's not much different. Khorinis especially has some killer goblins if you go one way, killer orcs the other way, killer bandits the third way and a killer shadow beast somewhere else.

I got that. I'd like to know if he considers it good design or not.
It's not only good design, it's great design. It blocks off certain areas and acts as a measure for your progress. Taking out that big troll/"Unhold" or demon-thingie stomping around will feel like an accomplishment since it won't be in the way anymore and won't be annoying you while travelling through the same area anymore, although granted this effect is lessened a lot by the Teleporter system while it was huge in games like Gothic or Risen when you could finally get rid of that big baddie and progress into another new part of the map.

nu0yQsv.png

Retards on Steam trying hard to give this game a negative review.
PB games have a lot of people mindlessly hate them and then still buy them just to leave negative reviews. Pre launch I saw this one retard leave comments anywhere on YouTube he could about how this game will be shit, both new and old videos, it's like he was being paid to shit on a game.
Go and take a look at some of the negative reviews, it's almost all like 0.6-1.5 hour reviews of butthurt assholes about how they couldn't figure out the controls, they don't like the graphics or something equally retarded.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Phucket89/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/toastichron/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/psy666/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970848559/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198004515255/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/harch/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971347935/recommended/411300/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DeathLtd/recommended/411300/

They're almost all geniuses like this Reapa guy.

In 9 hrs I've played this game, only night time I've seen is when I had to do it for a quest (Cleric one) and that too lasted till I had to talk to him.

Else I keep sleeping and set everything to morning, constantly. You can sleep in anyone's bed, unlike in Gothic where they would get pissed and wouldn't let you. Also, there are beds everywhere you travel. Not sure that's a good thing but I like questing in daylight instead of straining my eyes, so it's morning every few hours for me. :P
Then you're doing it wrong. Different stuff happens at night, everyone is sleeping so you can go from house to house sneaking in and steal all their shit, monster are sleeping and it's easier to sneak up on them etc. and there's special quests and events that only happen at night.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
It's more of the same.

lightsaber: the entire point of lightsaber is being a weapon extremely hard to acquire/build-yourself that need proper training and capacity for don't cut your arm while using it.

that's the reason why lightsaber is a powerfull weapon cool to use.

instead if you can kill lord mastersithlord loot a lightsaber at level 1 it's only trashloot from a trashmob.

for example if in a postapocaliptic game at level one you find a working power armor with a minigun and you can kill one of the stronger enemy, what is the point of explore a toxic wasteland and find allies?
are you one of the devs or just some stupid fanboy that stumbled upon the codex and read something you didn't like?
if you're one of the devs, know that it's your job to put some thought into where and what loot you place. since the game has only one possible starting point, it's easy enough to place the best loot as far as possible from the starting point so people don't stumble on a light saber in random ruin no.1. same thing goes for enemies. it's not your job to police how people play the game. it's not your job to make sure they can't get overgeared if they go out of their way to run across the map and sneak by tough enemies to get to the best stuff right from the beginning. that is their choice and if they feel that's fun, then let them. and you can go ahead and write in german if you can't into english.
if you're not one of the devs, welcome to the codex! now suck my dick and show me yer tits.
actually, that goes for both.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
The truth is that the concept of level gated items and your pathetic weakness in this game really make no sense,especially when the story keeps telling you how great the Commander Jax is in the art of war.How come the defected Albs still have ability to use kewl weapons but my Jax can barely pick it's nose without dying,even tho I still consume Elex.

Why the fuck can't these games be like Dark Souls,The Surge,Nioh where you can still be significant enough to do some damage but also get insta-gibbed if you get hit.Running around doing some mundane chores to level up and knowing that if I come back I will one shot that pesky mob is getting tiresome and has to be worst system ever.They really need to work on the ai,hitboxes,animations and really take a look at Darks Souls,where you still have some decency while fighting but also get shit on if you can't press more than one button at a time.

It's not fun anymore because the game is easy no matter what,knowing that all you have to do is,avoid everything till you level up and get some new shiny items by doing some pesky chores and you come back as panzer bullshiting your way through everything.There's no challenge in these games anymore and something needs to be done.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Holy shit, the Defensive Measures quest at the Fort is insane:

-Talk to Bullet, he wants more guys
-Ask William, he agrees to send 3 doods
-Back at the entrance there are now 8(!!!) Bug Mutants
-Bugs rape the pathetic reinforcements to death
-I run into Fort, bugs follow, start killing EVERYONE

I reloaded once I saw no one inside was going to be able to take them. That's an odd quest and mob placement. I would advise people to stay away from the fort unless you can kill those bugs easily yourself.

I didn't even talk to anyone and those guys were fighting already once I arrived at the main gate (I first entered the Fort via the sidegate at the other end). Bullet and the other guard lived (but only because the bugs...bugged and didn't really fight back) but I can't talk to Bullet at all. Go figure.

I didn't get a quest at all here. I just saw a lot of dead bodies and a couple of mutants scattered about. I guess I was late to the party :)

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it doing that badly on Steam?

74% positive reviews isn't bad. It's about what I'd expect for a modern PB game.

Phisto

Literate
it doesn't have to be a weapon. it could be a piece of armor. it also doesn't have to be better than what you are carrying but it DOES have to be possible to get something better.
That doesn't explain how item progression is a must in an RPG and especially it doesn't explain why everyone who liked the exploration is wrong. Exploring an environment in a videogame isn't just so that you can get a +1damage weapon.

Volken

Scholar
The truth is that the concept of level gated items and your pathetic weakness in this game really make no sense,especially when the story keeps telling you how great the Commander Jax is in the art of war.How come the defected Albs still have ability to use kewl weapons but my Jax can barely pick it's nose without dying,even tho I still consume Elex.

Why the fuck can't these games be like Dark Souls,The Surge,Nioh where you can still be significant enough to do some damage but also get insta-gibbed if you get hit.Running around doing some mundane chores to level up and knowing that if I come back I will one shot that pesky mob is getting tiresome and has to be worst system ever.They really need to work on the ai,hitboxes,animations and really take a look at Darks Souls,where you still have some decency while fighting but also get shit on if you can't press more than one button at a time.

It's not fun anymore because the game is easy no matter what,knowing that all you have to do is,avoid everything till you level up and get some new shiny items by doing some pesky chores and you come back as panzer bullshiting your way through everything.There's no challenge in these games anymore and something needs to be done.

That's why Dark Souls is extremely satisfying when you git gud while this game is like a puzzle challenge with correct path where you avoid instagib shit until you are strong enough to press I win button.

Ofc people who haven't played any Souls game / Ninja Gaiden know shit about proper action combat and are easily impressed by sad turds like Elex. Western action RPGs are fucking space years behind in proper exection of simple combat mechanics.

And don't you fucking tell me about good combat system when I have beaten all Souls games on SL 1 run. I know when shit combat is shit and when it's good.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I like this game quite a bit despite its very obvious issues, it has a heart and soul and that's more than I can say for many other games released now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom