Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Latelistener

Arcane
I've completed Dark Souls with a medium roll armor set and a claymore. Will it work here too?

Hell Swarm

Educated
I'd argue modern Japs aren't much better. Not as bad as us but plenty currentard and plenty degenerate.

Agreed with Martin being a mistake but not because Martin is bad. In my book the ER lore is by far the most banal shit boring, probably due to some cross-cultural scrambling. If you strip it off the traditional FS stylishness and vagueness you're left with a sad collection of barebones soap opera tropes.
Any one defending Japanese writing and saying it's superior to Western stuff needs to look at the amount of light novels and VNs Japan releases barely above fanfic.net's quality. I read Martin's books and found them incredibly boring, except he'd write 1 or 2 characters you would get invested in and have to slog through the rest of the crap to get to their chapters again.

Martin was never anything more than a marketing ploy. He free lanced the background for content they already had planned from what we know. His name attached brought the game additional attention but it's unlikely it brought in many more sales. If you weren't interested in From games before Martin's fanbase were not going to get along well with them. Elden Ring's intro is so badly botched I can't imagine being new to gaming, running into the Tree sentinel and then Margott. It would have put me off gaming for life if I thought the base line of difficulty was 2 very difficult bosses you weren't equipped to deal with.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Any one defending Japanese writing and saying it's superior to Western stuff needs to look at the amount of light novels and VNs Japan releases barely above fanfic.net's quality.
I mean, the same is true of western stuff. Goosebumps isn't exactly high art. Anyone who spent a lot of time reading random books as a kid would recall that 95% of everything is crap, wherever it's from.

I'd say the important difference is that the big japanese companies occasionally let some good writing into the games, while the western ones are all so managed by marketing and focus groups you never get anything but grey slop for the lowest common denominator.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Any one defending Japanese writing and saying it's superior to Western stuff needs to look at the amount of light novels and VNs Japan releases barely above fanfic.net's quality.
I mean, the same is true of western stuff. Goosebumps isn't exactly high art. Anyone who spent a lot of time reading random books as a kid would recall that 95% of everything is crap, wherever it's from.

I'd say the important difference is that the big japanese companies occasionally let some good writing into the games, while the western ones are all so managed by marketing and focus groups you never get anything but grey slop for the lowest common denominator.
Both are equally shitty. There are occasional good releases from both but both are plagued by bad writing in their own ways. No one needs another Moe blob and cunt love interest love triangle in a JRPG ever again and I bet 10 more will release this year.

I'm thinking of setting up a DLC character but I don't know where I want to draw the line. You can get to Mogh pretty early on but the DLC is going to require all the upgrades if past ones are to be expected. I don't want to finish the game and then go into it, I can't remember where the last flask upgrades. On the flip side do I want to deal with From's DLC bullshit? Every DLC ups the anime aspects of the base game. Ivory King, Sister Frieda and I dread to think what Maliketh is going to be topped with. I don't want spoilers because it would ruin the experience for me, but do I want to pay full price again for a DLC I expect to be tedious as all hell?

Cheesedragon117

Educated
You're coming into it with to many expectations. Just beat Radahn and Mohg using a build you've never tried before and you'll be fine.

There's actually a slight chance you  won't need a +25 weapon going into the DLC, as Miyazaki said there will be a new level/difficulty scaling system in place. I can't disagree on the anime-ness remark though. Just look at Messmer, I could see him having the most anime second phase in Fromsoft history.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Goosebumps isn't exactly high art.

Ahem.

d08b44f6-1212-4f68-b0d6-6b402a104108

Silva

Arcane
GRRM's involvement in this game was probably a mistake. Modern westoid authors don't have any sensibility for myth anymore. There's too much psychological and individualistic projection to allow for the kind of impersonal, almost esoteric approach a Fromsoft game requires.
Yep. I don't remember what was the last western setting that got me hooked. Maybe STALKER in what, 2007?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
GRRM's involvement in this game was probably a mistake. Modern westoid authors don't have any sensibility for myth anymore. There's too much psychological and individualistic projection to allow for the kind of impersonal, almost esoteric approach a Fromsoft game requires.
R. Scott Bakker
Guy Gavriel Kay
Christopher Buehlman

Nice try though

Hell Swarm

Educated
R. Scott Bakker
Guy Gavriel Kay
Christopher Buehlman

Nice try though
Which of these authors books would you recommend and why?

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Any one defending Japanese writing and saying it's superior to Western stuff needs to look at the amount of light novels and VNs Japan releases barely above fanfic.net's quality. I read Martin's books and found them incredibly boring, except he'd write 1 or 2 characters you would get invested in and have to slog through the rest of the crap to get to their chapters again.

Martin was never anything more than a marketing ploy. He free lanced the background for content they already had planned from what we know. His name attached brought the game additional attention but it's unlikely it brought in many more sales. If you weren't interested in From games before Martin's fanbase were not going to get along well with them. Elden Ring's intro is so badly botched I can't imagine being new to gaming, running into the Tree sentinel and then Margott. It would have put me off gaming for life if I thought the base line of difficulty was 2 very difficult bosses you weren't equipped to deal with.
I crawl around in the west. The japs do everything better.

Hell Swarm

Educated

I'll take your opinion more seriously when you don't have to cheat to beat easy monsters in Monster Hunter. Until then it's safe to assume you're projecting wanting to be a woman into video games since you will never be one.

I'm replaying Dark souls 3 with a different play style to see if the game experience is different enough I can understand why some people defend it so much. I was going to stop and read all the lore and try to figure some more stuff out for myself but stopped almost immediately. Once you realize the writing style is a way to save money and it's re-written on a whim there's no point trying to figure out the lore any more. Is Nameless the son of Gwyn? From doesn't even know/care. He's just a boss they wanted to do and never had to lock the decision in place. Fans will speculate if it's him or maybe Ornstein's final form but it doesn't matter. It's a video game with random trivia discarded through out. Modern lazy writing that has dominated the industry since Bioshock and would be better left in the trash.

I have hundreds of hours in Souls games and still don't know what the lore is in any of them nor why I should care. Actually one of the things I loved when I played Dark Souls for first time was that it would just let me have fun exploring the levels/killing stuff/picking up loot without interrupting it with some boring story. And it came out during time when most games kept doing just that, forcing their shitty stories down my throat. Often developers were so high on their own farts they would even make cutscenes unskippable. Sometimes a game comes along that actually manages to get me interested in its story but that is really rare. Last one to do that to me was Kingdom Come Deliverance, I think. Mostly when I'm in storyfag mood I'll just read a book. Even a silly pulp book tends to be way more satisfying in that regard than 99% of video games.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'll take your opinion more seriously when you don't have to cheat to beat easy monsters in Monster Hunter. Until then it's safe to assume you're projecting wanting to be a woman into video games since you will never be one.

I'm replaying Dark souls 3

What a fucking badass. I'll never stand a chance against this guy.

Hell Swarm

Educated

I'm replaying Dark souls 3

What a fucking badass. I'll never stand a chance against this guy.
You spammed a thread about how easy the game was and then you had to get another player to beat a boss for you because you weren't good enough and didn't want to engage with the systems. You're clinically retarded.

I have hundreds of hours in Souls games and still don't know what the lore is in any of them nor why I should care. Actually one of the things I loved when I played Dark Souls for first time was that it would let me just let me have fun exploring the levels/killing stuff/picking up loot without interrupting it with some boring story. And it came out during time when most games kept doing just that, forcing their shitty stories down my throat. Often developers were so high on their own farts they would even make cutscenes unskippable. Sometimes a game comes along that actually manages to get me interested in its story but that is really rare. Last one to do that to me was Kingdom Come Deliverance, I think. Mostly when I'm in storyfag mood I'll just read a book. Even a silly pulp book tends to be way more satisfying in that regard than 99% of video games.
One of the reasons BOTW did so well too. It got out of your way and let you play. Once you finished the minimal tutorial you had full freedom. TOTK is diversive because it's way more in your face with the story and won't step aside.

Silva

Arcane

Yep.

SMT Nocturne
SMT Strange Journey
Persona 3, 4 and 5
Dark Souls
Bloodborne

Give me the analogous top 5 western settings that are so badass as those (STALKER doesn't count since Slavs are not westerns).

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
You spammed a thread about how easy the game was and then you had to get another player to beat a boss for you because you weren't good enough and didn't want to engage with the systems. You're clinically retarded..
The game IS easy. It has two retarded difficulty spikes, one in base game (Behemoth) and one in Iceborne (Velkhana). I'm getting older, I work all the time. I can't smash that shit like I used to. You act like I'm just disrespecting the game. I've been playing it every chance I've got for well over a month now. Calm your no-lifer ass the fuck down.

I've completed Dark Souls with a medium roll armor set and a claymore. Will it work here too?
yes, but along the way, you will notice that the game really wants you to use all those extra bits they put in. there's also this boss, in the room with the giant skeleton in the throne, that mostly flies and doesn't land. that's gonna be a bit difficult if you don't have a ranged option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom