Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

It's music and dark, cozy ambiance makes the Nexus my favorite hub to simply exist in, but other than that it's mid.
The Nexus has good music, great architecture and ambience, the Maiden in Black, and everyone is located within a small area. Easily the best.

Demon-s-Souls-Nexus-Ceremony-Orioto.jpg
except the monumental. spent a while looking for him because he's just a lad sitting on the very top and next to several guys who look exactly like him.

Elttharion

Learned
Majula is great because it is a cozy place that survivors go to wait the end of the world. The atmosphere is sad and melancholic, just as the rest of the game.

DS1 Firelink is great because its pretty much perfectly inserted in the game world and it makes sense as a place of passage were people meet during their journey.

The other hubs are good too but those are my favorites.

Silva

Arcane
I'm playing Six Ages: Lights Going Out and Elden Ring's rune of death plot is a total copy-pasta from it. Over there, the god Humakt was the owner of the rune of death (a black sword) but had it stolen by a sibling that used it to kill a third god (Yelm the Golden Sun), which triggered a Shattering-like cataclysmic event in the world. After the event, the rune/sword of death was shattered and and it's owner spent a time looking for it's shards to unite/repair. In the meantime, death as a concept in the world stoped working properly which generated anomalies like the rise of Undead and such.

Certains depictions of Humakt even resemble Maliketh somewhat:

Humakt.png

This suggests a few interesting things:

1 - Myazaki was a fan of Runequest / Glorantha (the original TTRPG from where that rune of death myth come from);

2 - The same way DS1 Marvelous Chester anticipated Bloodborne and DS3 Sacred Tree imagery ancitipated Elden Ring, this game Rune imagery may anticipate next From game being in Glorantha / Runequest world.

3 - More and more if feels like GRR Martin was just a marketing ploy and contributed absoltely nothing to the actual lore. Every piece of lore is the expected Miyazaki meme coming from other media he's a fan (Berserk, Runequest, etc). Challenge: someone find an interview where GRRM actually names an actual piece of lore he created for the game. No generalizations, an actual NAMED PIECE OF LORE, like "I contributed with the concept of Empyrians" or "Those who live in death", etc. I want to see it.

Last edited:

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
And so I donned my mushroom outfit and trotted the Lake of Rot with its horrid basilisks, centipeople, the Astel, and finally ascended to the Moonlit Altar. This time, when I found Ranni lifeless by the corpse of her Two Fingers, I decided NOT to put the ring on her finger. Seems like a fitting ending for a selfish little witch who sacrificed Godwyn and left behind her mother, childhood friends and mentor, in pursuit of personal freedom and power.

Remain lifeless by the carved-up body of your adversary... forever. :smug:

Caim

Arcane
And so I donned my mushroom outfit and trotted the Lake of Rot with its horrid basilisks, centipeople, the Astel, and finally ascended to the Moonlit Altar. This time, when I found Ranni lifeless by the corpse of her Two Fingers, I decided NOT to put the ring on her finger. Seems like a fitting ending for a selfish little witch who sacrificed Godwyn and left behind her mother, childhood friends and mentor, in pursuit of personal freedom and power.

Remain lifeless by the carved-up body of your adversary... forever. :smug:
Put the ring on her anyway and go with the Goldmask ending.

You not only proverbially leave her at the altar, you impose a divine order to which everyone, even Ranni, has to conform.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Now that a little time has passed after I finished this, I don't have the least desire to get back, nor do I remember fondly of any piece of lore. Don't even know if I'll check the DLC, well, maybe when it's worth a banana down the road.

This is the most pedestrian From title ever. A pure (and bad at it) number crunching affair, with little to no élan.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I wouldn't dream of replaying the vanilla.

But I AM interested in some of the total overhaul mods like Convergence or Reborn. I'll probably check out Reborn when it's finished, I really dig what its trying to do, especially with entire reworked levels and areas.

REhorror

Educated

Silva

Arcane
Yeah I wouldn't dream of replaying the vanilla.

But I AM interested in some of the total overhaul mods like Convergence or Reborn. I'll probably check out Reborn when it's finished, I really dig what its trying to do, especially with entire reworked levels and areas.
I'm on PS5 so that would be impossible in my case. Regardless, what usually hooks me to these games is the worldbuilding and ambience (call me a storyfag), something ER never did for me. In fact, I would be more inclined to check those mods for DS1/2/3 than ER.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
GRRM's contributions began and ended with Dung Eater.
And the sword that's the Iron Throne on a handle.

And the multiple dynasties based on incest.
That isn't something GRRM invented.

Hell, is he still working in the expansion? They don't seem to advertise him anymore.

I don't like GRRM because he's the fat and unethical version of Tolkien.

From what I understand he basically wrote the equivalent of Toliken's Silmarillion but for the Elden Ring setting. That was the extent of his involvement, just the world's history, characters, family trees and major events. Everything that happens post-Shattering is all Miyazaki's story. GRRM had no idea that Rykard was going to be a giant snake demon, for example.

Pretty smart move on Miyazaki's part to not have him any more involved in the creative process than that, since I also greatly dislike the tone of his stories. His "work" on the game started and ended in ER's pre-production.

According to recent interviews everything in the expansion is also based on the backstory written by GRRM, including this new child of Marika and Radagon that we didn't know about before.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

From what I understand he basically wrote the equivalent of Toliken's Silmarillion but for the Elden Ring setting. That was the extent of his involvement, just the world's history, characters, family trees and major events.
Plus, knowing Miyazaki and Japs' ability to understand, process and depict European-based history in general, I'm guessing Martin's original setting is to the final lore what a castle is to a bouncy castle. With a toxic coat of paint and spikes underneath.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
I'm not sure I fully understand your analogy, but okay. In my estimation, Japs do basically everything Western-fantasy far better than Westerners themselves.
To me, Miyazaki's creative relationship with GRRM is more akin to refining crude, raw material into gemstones.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
GRRM's involvement in this game was probably a mistake. Modern westoid authors don't have any sensibility for myth anymore. There's too much psychological and individualistic projection to allow for the kind of impersonal, almost esoteric approach a Fromsoft game requires.

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
What Muhzakui made out of it is just as bad.
Lore is absolutely degenerate.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Modern westoid authors don't have any sensibility for myth anymore.
I'd argue modern Japs aren't much better. Not as bad as us but plenty currentard and plenty degenerate.

Agreed with Martin being a mistake but not because Martin is bad. In my book the ER lore is by far the most banal shit boring, probably due to some cross-cultural scrambling. If you strip it off the traditional FS stylishness and vagueness you're left with a sad collection of barebones soap opera tropes.

Person A craves something, person B loves person C therefore persons D and E kill person F and G because person M doesn't love person XYZ. Give me a fucking break. What fucking decline from Sekiro, let alone Bloodborne.

Barbarian

Arcane
The parts I liked about the lore and characters I suspect were all Myazaki's doing.

The bits about "magic" being "color out of space but with crystals" or the lovecraftian bits about the setting's "deities" being these weird and unscrutable extradimensional entities. Also the plagues and horrors. All stuff reminiscent of Bloodborne.

The interfamily drama and conspiracies I agree that are mostly bullshit. I assume in fatso Martin's drafts the deities/entities didn't have a lovecraftian angle as well, specially going by the names he chose("greater will", "golden order" and etc).

Child of Malkav

Erudite
There's too much psychological and individualistic projection to allow for the kind of impersonal, almost esoteric approach a Fromsoft game requires.
Hm, you think that the Outsider in Dishonored 1 fits that description? The calm in his voice, almost robotic, alien curiosity he has while watching you deal with your targets? As compared to his version in D2 as an emo, edgy, teenager kid?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
There's too much psychological and individualistic projection to allow for the kind of impersonal, almost esoteric approach a Fromsoft game requires.
Hm, you think that the Outsider in Dishonored 1 fits that description? The calm in his voice, almost robotic, alien curiosity he has while watching you deal with your targets? As compared to his version in D2 as an emo, edgy, teenager kid?

I didn't play any of them so i have no idea what you are talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom