Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ebay old RPG sales.

Quilty said:
Blackadder said:
Turisas said:
Yeah like I said I can somewhat understand that since you get some additional items that you'd miss out on otherwise. I do have some CE's of course, but the only one I ever felt that I really got my money's worth was the big Carmageddon box. Came with a t-shirt, mousepad and a car key chain, all stuff I could use.

Still would use the key chain if my dad hadn't lost it - coolest car key chain of all time. Probably impossible to find that now, at least for a reasonable price... Fuck I'm still pissed about it.

But rare or first edition books, geez... I guess I lack the collector gene or something because I'd much rather have a spankin' new leatherbound edition of some novel than some crappy old first edition that is so frail that you can't really even read it anymore. As long as the content is the same I really couldn't care less.

The funny thing is that first edition books, even earlier edition books in general, will probably last you a lot longer than a brand spanking new one straight off the (Chinese) press today. They are more solidly constructed, the pages are thicker and the paper is better quality.

As for the Boxed games; I am only interested in the old stuff where you got all the great items and manuals inside. There also is a certain smell to old floppy games, something indefineable. You open up the box, and it is there.

These were not collectors editions, these were the normal game. Today's collectors editions are usually just ripoffs with very little in them. Mileage may vary.

I know exactly what you mean. Mmm, that smell, the feel of a decade old cardboard box I just blew forty dollars on... It makes me feel like a total idiot that I spent that much money on my copy of PS:T or Grim Fandango, but when I crack those those babies open, oh man, the memories just come flooding in and it's all suddenly worth it.

Since I don't think much of PS:T or Grim Fandango, I agree with you. Idiot for paying that much for them. And since I prefer some of the 'old dos games' over them, it would be better spent money for me, wouldn't it? Oh, thats right, I should prefer the 'popamole' or the pseudo intellectual/emo game because they are newer.

However, since I understand your true point, I will let you in on a little secret; I have never paid anywhere like $40 (US I am assuming?) for any one of the oldies. I get most of my luck either through a) sales in papers and online from people that know nothing b) ebay idiots that place a game in the wrong category with a low starting bid and c) garage sales, you wouldn't believe the gems that can be found.

If people are collectors however, and they value their game collecting, who am I, or you, to call them idiots for spending this money on something they enjoy? I bet you spend your money on a lot of things that I would think is totally idiotic.

Luzur

Good Sir
Blackadder said:
Luzur said:
dont think that magic candle 1 box is fake, i am sure the manual was black and white, and besides, what would you gain by printing up new boxes, disks and manuals for Magic Candle1?

if you want to swindle people with oldschool, copy up some Akalabeth zippobags instead.

Fair enough. It must be a Mainland Europe thing. I have my manual right here and it is black and white inside, but the cover is thick, full colour print.

ive been looking around, and it seems there are indeed 2 versions, 1 with black and white manual cover (later version?) and one with color cover (first version?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom