Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2013 June 10-13th

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

deuxhero

Arcane
Yes, despite generating far more interest than Sony or MS, they are fucked. Sure...
Generating more interest? From who??? :lol: I don't think that your interest means too much in this case.

Check the front game of general gaming forums. This thing has almost all the topics on their front pages AND they are active instead of just a handful of posts. Sony was pretty contained to a few threads last night.
Well yeah, Nintendo is the laughing stock of consoles manufacturers at the moment, of course everybody is talking about them. Just like we had a 100 pages here about Bioware and Dragon Age II. So yeah, they are fucked.

That's impossible when Xbone exists.

Xi

Arcane
Yes, despite generating far more interest than Sony or MS, they are fucked. Sure...
Generating more interest? From who??? :lol: I don't think that your interest means too much in this case.

Check the front game of general gaming forums. This thing has almost all the topics on their front pages AND they are active instead of just a handful of posts. Sony was pretty contained to a few threads last night.
Well yeah, Nintendo is the laughing stock of consoles manufacturers at the moment, of course everybody is talking about them. Just like we had a 100 pages here about Bioware and Dragon Age II. So yeah, they are fucked.

Xbone will outsell Wii-U (stinks) in the first month. Watch. Nintendo sold a LOT last console gen, but they also burnt a lot of people. It was a fad.

Edit:

I bought one, and had a lot of fun playing Wii bowling and getting drunk with friends. (Some drunk asshole broke my tv even) However, the games were shit. I don't think there was anything good on it. Zelda was interesting, but I lost interest fast.

The Wii-U really only offers a slight graphics upgrade and a screen on controller. Other than that, same type of games. Buying Nintendo at this point is like buying Apple. It doesn't offer anything different, and is completely a fad (an expensive fad in the case of apple).

deuxhero

Arcane

Xbone will outsell Wii-U (stinks) in the first month. Watch. Nintendo sold a LOT last console gen, but they also burnt a lot of people. It was a fad.

Edit:

I bought one, and had a lot of fun playing Wii bowling and getting drunk with friends. (Some drunk asshole broke my tv even) However, the games were shit. I don't think there was anything good on it. Zelda was interesting, but I lost interest fast.

The Wii-U really only offers a slight graphics upgrade and a screen on controller. Other than that, same type of games. Buying Nintendo at this point is like buying Apple. It doesn't offer anything different, and is completely a fad (an expensive fad in the case of apple).

I'm not sure how "not selling well enough" can be the laughing stock compared to the Xbone's PR disaster.

edit: Also seems Bestbuy locations with the demos are over crowded and far above excepted crowds, needing to change the end date to let everyone in line play. Even on gaming forums, does anyone remember what the hell the Xbone exclusives shown were?

Xi

Arcane

Edit:

I'm not sure how "not selling well enough" can be the laughing stock compared to the Xbone's PR disaster.

edit: Also seems Bestbuy locations with the demos are over crowded and far above excepted crowds, needing to change the end date to let everyone in line play. Even on gaming forums, does anyone remember what the hell the Xbone exclusives shown were?

Yep, people try it out then don't buy it. Has it even broken a million sales world wide? XBone (as bad as it is) will out sell it on the first month of release.

Edit:

3.45m sales total. Again, Xbone in it's first month, just watch.

Machocruz

Arcane
Xbone will have the obsessive gamer geeks and technophiles in line day 1.That should be a couple million. After that though...

WiiU had no such cachet, neither is it a "blue ocean" product. It's fucked unless price drop and Nintendo begins cranking out numerous and diverse new IPs. And not like Pikmin. Pikmin doesn't move hardware. No one wants to play veggie RTS.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Xbone will have the obsessive gamer geeks and technophiles in line day 1.
Those people will probably buy both consoles, and since PS4 allows you to sell & buy used, they'll have more PS4 games. Remember, consoles are sold at a loss for the manufacturers, what really matters is the game sales.

deuxhero

Arcane
Wow, this Nintendo guy is delusional. :lol:

What is so delusional about saying that Nintendo can't be the laughing stock of hardware makers because they have a successful handheld and the Xbone exists? The reception of the E3 announcements hasn't been overly negative either (unlike PS4, where people immediately jumped on needing to pay for online and spent half their conference on irrelevant shit). It's a lost least situation like most E3s, but Nintendo is clearly not dead last as that implied.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Xbone will have the obsessive gamer geeks and technophiles in line day 1.That should be a couple million. After that though...

WiiU had no such cachet, neither is it a "blue ocean" product. It's fucked unless price drop and Nintendo begins cranking out numerous and diverse new IPs. And not like Pikmin. Pikmin doesn't move hardware. No one wants to play veggie RTS.
The Pikmin games are wonderful games. Give them a try if you haven't already. It's both very fun and challenging to get high scores. The first game used the day night cycle along with a 30 day time limit to make sure you made good strategic decisions along with a good ground game in order to succeed.

Machocruz

Arcane
Those people will probably buy both consoles, and since PS4 allows you to sell & buy used, they'll have more PS4 games. Remember, consoles are sold at a loss for the manufacturers, what really matters is the game sales.

Sure, they will buy both at launch. But the comparison was between Xbone and WiiU. Xbone can't survive on geeks alone, but at least it has pull with some kind of demographic. WiiU is all over the place, jack of all trades, master of no demographic.

But everyone is going to take a hit next gen, I predict. I'll just come right out and say that I predict neither Xbone or PS4 will sell as much as their predecessors. In fact, a crash of some kind would not surpirse me.

Machocruz

Arcane
The Pikmin games are wonderful games. Give them a try if you haven't already. It's both very fun and challenging to get high scores. The first game used the day night cycle along with a 30 day time limit to make sure you made good strategic decisions along with a good ground game in order to succeed.

But put your business hat on now. Why spend time, a precious resource, making more Pikmin when you need software that will motivate large numbers of people to buy your hardware? Nintendo has been conducting these failed experiments ever since N6,4 and it has been failing them. Problem is that Miyamoto is given full reign to indulge himself, instead of doing what will make Nintendo successful. Pikmin does not get the job done.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
But put your business hat on now. Why spend time, a precious resource, making more Pikmin when you need software that will motivate large numbers of people to buy your hardware? Nintendo has been conducting these failed experiments ever since N6,4 and it has been failing them. Problem is that Miyamoto is given full reign to indulge himself, instead of doing what will make Nintendo successful. Pikmin does not get the job done.
You're probably right. I don't have a business hat and I wouldn't know where to get one. I'm not much one for business or market analysis. I don't relate enough to other consumers to make any predictions.

For what it counts: Mario Galaxy tempted me to buy a Wii, Pikmin 3 is tempting me to buy a Wii U. I never did buy that Wii, and probably won't buy that Wii U either. I bought a Gamecube when I was a teenager for The wind waker, and was glad I did because the platform had a lot of cool games that I couldn't get for Windows.

I realize that you were originally talking about how well the Wii U will perform in the market when you mentioned Pikmin. I just took that as an opportunity to vouch for the game series. Sorry for the confusion.

Xi

Arcane

PS4 is not being sold at a loss. XBone probably is sold at a loss. PS4 is earning profit per console sold.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
mirrors-edge-wallpaper-2.jpg

If it happens, I'm going to have to FORGIVE EA.
Yeah, I said it.
For everything.
Everything.
If what exactly happens? I liked Mirror's Edge, but I'm not excited for a sequel in any way. The original was a good game and a fresh breath of air, but what's the point of a do-over? Unless they can seriously innovate, which the pre-rendered clip didn't really show. I'm not interested in just some new maps with some new cutscenes in between them.

Machocruz

Arcane
I realize that you were originally talking about how well the Wii U will perform in the market when you mentioned Pikmin. I just took that as an opportunity to vouch for the game series. Sorry for the confusion.
Heh, nothing to be sorry for.

Btw, Mario Galaxy is a great example of why I prefer to look at things with a "business hat" on (such as it is. I claim no expertise). It's also a great example of the "hardcore gamer" mentality and how deficient it is. "Hardcore" gamers belief that 3D is inherently 'more' (respectable, sophisticated, hardcore, etc) than 2D leads them to preferring 3D Mario, and believing that it is a system seller that could change Nintendo's fortunes. But the market, ie reality, says otherwise. Every time. 2D Mario sells twice as much. Hardware spikes coincide with the release of a new, major 2D Mario. It is a proven system seller. But the hardkor continue to clamor for 3D Mario and claim that a new one would make a big difference. It would, but only to them. They are thinking with their personal preference hat on, stubbornly so. This taints all console wars discussions on inferior forums (IGN, Youtube comments, etc.). They'll continue with their delusion that Wii failed (it didn't) because Nintendo abandoned the "hardcore" (they didn't. They never catered to them in the first place)

Among other "hardcore gamer" anti-market, anti-reality beliefs are: that the tech arms race can continue to accelerate and things will go on as they have for the passed 7 generations. That they define what success is, and their tastes are the majority. That only "hardcore" games are acceptable and stuff like WiiFit should not exist (Yeah, sitting on your ass pressing X between cutscenes is superior activity to exercise.). That they are different from the dudebros as far as the kinds of games they purchase. Etc...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mirror's Edge 2 could use a map editor or something like that... I was hoping that they would give up on combat, but it seems like they are actually focusing on it...

Regardless, I'm glad it will be made, even if it's just for the glorious art direction.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mirror's Edge 2 could use a map editor or something like that... I was hoping that they would give up on combat, but it seems like they are actually focusing on it...
The melee combat wasn't really that much of a problem, the shooting was. If they take something out, that has to go first.
Nintendo is so fucked, so utterly utterly fucked. Iwata was last seen strapping himself into the ejector seat.
Since when do the Japanese use ejector seats?

Dexter

Arcane
Heh, nothing to be sorry for.

Btw, Mario Galaxy is a great example of why I prefer to look at things with a "business hat" on (such as it is. I claim no expertise). It's also a great example of the "hardcore gamer" mentality and how deficient it is. "Hardcore" gamers belief that 3D is inherently 'more' (respectable, sophisticated, hardcore, etc) than 2D leads them to preferring 3D Mario, and believing that it is a system seller that could change Nintendo's fortunes. But the market, ie reality, says otherwise. Every time. 2D Mario sells twice as much. Hardware spikes coincide with the release of a new, major 2D Mario. It is a proven system seller. But the hardkor continue to clamor for 3D Mario and claim that a new one would make a big difference. It would, but only to them. They are thinking with their personal preference hat on, stubbornly so. This taints all console wars discussions on inferior forums (IGN, Youtube comments, etc.). They'll continue with their delusion that Wii failed (it didn't) because Nintendo abandoned the "hardcore" (they didn't. They never catered to them in the first place)

Among other "hardcore gamer" anti-market, anti-reality beliefs are: that the tech arms race can continue to accelerate and things will go on as they have for the passed 7 generations. That they define what success is, and their tastes are the majority. That only "hardcore" games are acceptable and stuff like WiiFit should not exist (Yeah, sitting on your ass pressing X between cutscenes is superior activity to exercise.). That they are different from the dudebros as far as the kinds of games they purchase. Etc...
Are you Malstrom or did you just read his site too much? The likeness in argumentation and use of buzzwords seems infallible, and yet he is still wrong because the Wii did fail for going after the "casual" crowd.
In fact it had a declining market since about ~2008 and even forced Nintendo to push out the Wii U long before its time in the hope to halt the hemorrhage when they made a over $500 million loss in 2012: http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/4/26/2975416/nintendo-earnings-loss

The fact is you can't build your entire market on fickle consumers that inherently don't give a shit about your product or what you have to offer and just regard it as a gimmick to play one or two games on because it's been so cheap, it's not a long-term sustainable strategy and Nintendo found that out the hard way. People bought their console, played games like "Wii Fit" or "Wii Sports" for a few weeks/months and then put it in the closet for the remainder of its lifespan.

"Social gaming" with it's declining user base and profits is discovering the same: http://www.develop-online.net/news/42997/Game-industry-worth-83bn-by-2016-research-claims as companies like Zynga scramble to survive: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52137312/...ffs-what-happens-when-startups-grow-too-fast/

"Mobile gaming" companies will soon go through the same process as these markets before.

Kickstarter was also mentioned in the report, accounting for six per cent, or $49 million, of all video game investment in 2012.

The biggest concentration of investment through the crowdfunding site went toward PC games, which made up 63 per cent of all funding, followed by hardware at 23 per cent.

Wow, I didn't realize Kickstarter registered so high on the radar.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Ok, I see that I hurt your feelings with this laughing stock stuff. And true, Xbone is the laughing stock now. Nintendo just fucked themselves by making an underpowered console again for next-gen, with a controller which doesn't offer too much for hardcore gamers, with no 3rd party games. And casuals are not lining up either, because Bayonetta, Pikmin, and Marios are not their thing.

deuxhero

Arcane

Ok, I see that I hurt your feelings with this laughing stock stuff. And true, Xbone is the laughing stock now. Nintendo just fucked themselves by making an underpowered console again for next-gen, with a controller which doesn't offer too much for hardcore gamers, with no 3rd party games. And casuals are not lining up either, because Bayonetta, Pikmin, and Marios are not their thing.

I never said the Wii U wasn't bad. I just said the statement you made was wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom