Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dwarves Go Next-Gen!

Black

Arcane
Data4 said:
Why in the FUCK did you have to share that? Seriously, this is the sort of thing that promotes murder. I want to take that little twit and strangle him and look into his eyes as the life spark slowly fades.
prank.jpg

ricolikesrice

Arcane
The Khazad can only get adepts, no mages and archmages (aside from getting gibbon goetia with council of esus or hemah with octopus overlords). but their adepts can learn any magic sphere and cast tier 1 spells. with enchantment they can also learn "repair" which works like a heal for siege engines.

The Luichurp on the other hand despite being dwarves dont have those restrictions - they can get (arch)mages just fine and since the upgrades for their golem army are linked to magic techs they are probably one of the civilizations (with sheaim and amurites) that benefits the most from researching magic techs.

Data4

Arcane
Black, obvious troll is obvious. I hope. Please tell me that was a troll. Please, for the love of God...

Black

Arcane
A troll. Of course.
Because there are NO dumb people on Earth, right?
After all these years on Codex, you still haven't learned anything!

V ON THE INTERNET!

Junior Boy

Educated
I honestly was very pumped for it before the Manson style hype. I liked the concept of Origin Stories and have a very special place in my mind for Baldur's Gate, so I was happy about it. But I'm getting sick of this stuff, every since they kept delaying it and made it a less cerebral concept...I dunno. I'll still buy it. But I'm not as excited as I was.

aries202

Erudite
This is getting ridiculous. I post a fact ! about Bioware's game. I don't praise Bioware's originality. I just point out that dwarves can't cast magic at all in

And that this is news to me - at least.

I don't think I have posted anywhere that I find the concept for DA: Origins original and unique.
I think I have critized long and hard (and then again some) the un-original main story in DA: Origins. It is, after all, just a pastiche over Mass Effect's main story. You're playing as a Spectre, -eh- Grey Warden that's out to stop an ancient evil that threatens the land, universe or whatever. Not very unique, creative or original, I find.

As for the WoW dwarves and elfs; I didn't know that. Thank you for informing me about this :) Still, the thing is that in DA: Origins the dwarves can't do magic - at all. As I said, I haven't seen this in a crpg before, but then again, I haven't played every crpg known to man, either on Earth or in the Universe itself. I don't praise Bioware's creativity nor do I praise their originality. I just present a fact= a dwarf in DA: Origins can't do magic; I then go on to say that this is something new, at least to me. There is no praise of any kind in the message; I'm just presenting a fact. There is no value added to that fact, be it a positive or negative one.

Oh, and if you look at the trailers for GameCon in Cologne 2009, you'd see a lot better trailers; actual gameplay trailers.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
please support Andrew Bub, the gamerdad at http://www.gamingwithchildren.com - the voice of reason when it comes to gaming and children

The key to understanding aries202.

Just kidding. By the way, you mumbled something about DA ripping off/being inspired by ASoIaF. How? Have you even read those books?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Incidentally, Warcraft also has dwarves who can only use divine magic."

Yeah, no doubt influenced by D&D.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Gaider said:
For Martin's books it was several things, including the darker tone, the use of politics as the backstage and a strong emphasis on flawed, mortal characters.

lol

Volly, you still haven't said what terribly important pieces of literature Bioware's been ripping off to fill the amazing literary creations that are ME/BG/JE/DA. Not that I think you're literate enough to have actually read "important and relevant pieces of literature," mind you, since you're the quintessential Canada/Ameritard, but I'm curious.

aries202

Erudite
Lesifoere said:
please support Andrew Bub, the gamerdad at http://www.gamingwithchildren.com - the voice of reason when it comes to gaming and children

The key to understanding aries202.

Just kidding. By the way, you mumbled something about DA ripping off/being inspired by ASoIaF. How? Have you even read those books?

No, sadly :( I haven't - yet. It is not everything in English that is being published in
Danish - especially when it comes to the science fiction and fantasy genre. (It is possible, though, that they're in the children's section in the library, though...)

All I have to go on is the word on the DA boards, especially the words from David Gaider.
He has said on numerous occasions that one of the (biggest) inspirations for the DA setting was the AsoiAF novels.

I think the whole thing started out as very low key, low magic setting without even healing potions, or healing during combat at all. It changed.... sadly :( Now, I believe they're both (small) healing potions and your mage can heal you during combat. You'd still get various injuries when you go unconscious, but even that gameplay mechanic has changed a bit I think? - and probably for the worse.

The DA setting were supposed to be this low magic place in which magic was and is a very powerfull thing; mages were supposed to be feared and awesome, and the use of magic was supposed to be rare and limited? I think. This all changed, I think, when Ray and Greg spoke of 'dark heroic fantasy' (whatever that is :?: ) - you're a hero? in a land filles with darkness and must bring about the light? (irony) Gee, haven't heard about that plot before.... (/irony)

And you're not even a hero in your own right; you're sort of ushered into the story by being forced to be joining the Spect- ehm- The Grey Wardens. There's probably a solid story reason for this. A hero's quest, though is one he takes on of his own, of free volition, not because he's been recruited into the elite force of the army, in DA: Origins they're called the Grey Wardens, in real life they could be The Green Berets or the US Marines or any (old) elite force in any old army. Not very original and creative, making the game about this, I find. If you believe the hype about the game....

My problem with this game still stands:

It is, to me, an attempt to make a game where the elite units from the US military play the big role; the US Marines that'll be. They must travel to distant lands and rally support for the big battle (in the endgame) to defeat the Blight that plagues the land. Not having played the game myself (yet), I really can't say if the game's for me or not. I'll wait for the reviews....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"lol

Volly, you still haven't said what terribly important pieces of literature Bioware's been ripping off to fill the amazing literary creations that are ME/BG/JE/DA. Not that I think you're literate enough to have actually read "important and relevant pieces of literature," mind you, since you're the quintessential Canada/Ameritard, but I'm curious."

Are you crying, AGAIN? LMAO

Lesifoere

Liturgist
aries202 said:
No, sadly :( I haven't - yet. It is not everything in English that is being published in Danish - especially when it comes to the science fiction and fantasy genre. (It is possible, though, that they're in the children's section in the library, though...)

Just read it in English. They aren't difficult books, and if you've read them you will realize what bullshit Gaider's spewing.

All I have to go on is the word on the DA boards, especially the words from David Gaider. He has said on numerous occasions that one of the (biggest) inspirations for the DA setting was the AsoiAF novels.

He's a rampaging dimwit who likes to name-drop and garner ~*fantasy*~ street cred. DA, as has been shown so far, shares nothing much in common with ASoIaF and a lot more with the Witcher--ASoIaF doesn't sport elves, dwarves, or orders of mages. It's based on War of the Roses, concerning itself with the political conflict and battles for the throne of Westeros, while an outside threat (zombies, pretty much) encroaches on the northern ice wall, which is guarded by the Night Watch. I imagine they ripped the NW for Grey Wardens, but here's the thing: Gaider seems to be ripping off shit without actually understanding what makes it good. Just look at his DA novel: beautiful warrior maiden? That garbage wouldn't hold water in ASoIaF--the only "warrior maiden" in those books is a mannish, muscular and ugly woman nobody wants. A usurper to the throne who's evil just because he's evil? Wouldn't fly, either; in GRRM's books everyone is to some degree a selfish bastard, and to some degree justified. And so on.

Gaider's probably aping moral ambiguity in as a desperate attempt to jump on the bandwagon. ME's shown that Bioware can't do that right if their worthless lives depended on it.

Lesifoere said:
aries202 said:
No, sadly :( I haven't - yet. It is not everything in English that is being published in Danish - especially when it comes to the science fiction and fantasy genre. (It is possible, though, that they're in the children's section in the library, though...)

Just read it in English. They aren't difficult books, and if you've read them you will realize what bullshit Gaider's spewing.

All I have to go on is the word on the DA boards, especially the words from David Gaider. He has said on numerous occasions that one of the (biggest) inspirations for the DA setting was the AsoiAF novels.

He's a rampaging dimwit who likes to name-drop and garner ~*fantasy*~ street cred. DA, as has been shown so far, shares nothing much in common with ASoIaF and a lot more with the Witcher--ASoIaF doesn't sport elves, dwarves, or orders of mages. It's based on War of the Roses, concerning itself with the political conflict and battles for the throne of Westeros, while an outside threat (zombies, pretty much) encroaches on the northern ice wall, which is guarded by the Night Watch. I imagine they ripped the NW for Grey Wardens, but here's the thing: Gaider seems to be ripping off shit without actually understanding what makes it good. Just look at his DA novel: beautiful warrior maiden? That garbage wouldn't hold water in ASoIaF--the only "warrior maiden" in those books is a mannish, muscular and ugly woman nobody wants. A usurper to the throne who's evil just because he's evil? Wouldn't fly, either; in GRRM's books everyone is to some degree a selfish bastard, and to some degree justified. And so on.

Gaider's probably aping moral ambiguity in as a desperate attempt to jump on the bandwagon. ME's shown that Bioware can't do that right if their worthless lives depended on it.

Not to get all Monty Python's Holy Grail, or anything, but I agree that there is something rather absurd about putting out the old 'usurper is evil because he's an usurper' line. I mean, if you're going to start applying inherent moralities to political systems and ambitions, shouldn't we go a step further and say 'heir to the throne is evil because he's a fucking heir to the throne and has no democratic or popular legitimacy whatsoever!'

I mean, it isn't as though the cliche of peasants going around accepting inherited monarchies and feudal lords out of heartfelt love and loyalty ever existed outside of really bad pseudo-historical fiction. The sheer frequency and bloodiness with which peasant rebellions had to be put down tells us that. Once you start introducing moral absolutism to fantasy political systems (usurper is evil, boo!!!), it starts to undermine the credibility of the entire enterprise. Better to just leave it as a pragmatic reality - i.le. the heir isn't inherently good or legitimate, it's just the way the system works and most people aren't going to risk their necks to change it so long as things are decent enough for them to live their lives.

kris

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
The sheer frequency and bloodiness with which peasant rebellions had to be put down tells us that. Once you start introducing moral absolutism to fantasy political systems (usurper is evil, boo!!!), it starts to undermine the credibility of the entire enterprise.

I mean, it isn't as though the cliche of peasants going around accepting inherited monarchies and feudal lords out of heartfelt love and loyalty ever existed outside of really bad pseudo-historical fiction. Peasant rebellions all in all almost didn't exist throughout history. Almost every single rebellion was started and led by nobles. with a few exceptions of course, althoguh most of those was also led by someone in a more privilged position.

So no, the rulers would be more in touch with reality if they made sure to keep the nobles happy even if nobles used peasant unhappiness to their own agenda.

kris said:
Azrael the cat said:
The sheer frequency and bloodiness with which peasant rebellions had to be put down tells us that. Once you start introducing moral absolutism to fantasy political systems (usurper is evil, boo!!!), it starts to undermine the credibility of the entire enterprise.

I mean, it isn't as though the cliche of peasants going around accepting inherited monarchies and feudal lords out of heartfelt love and loyalty ever existed outside of really bad pseudo-historical fiction. Peasant rebellions all in all almost didn't exist throughout history. Almost every single rebellion was started and led by nobles. with a few exceptions of course, althoguh most of those was also led by someone in a more privilged position.

So no, the rulers would be more in touch with reality if they made sure to keep the nobles happy even if nobles used peasant unhappiness to their own agenda.

The serious revolutions were lead by nobles - on the other hand, pathetic and quickly defeated peasant rebellions were far more common. I'm not talking French revolution stuff - I'm talking about the times when peasants refuse en masse to hand over their produce to the feudal lord, and got slaughtered for it. I guess I should have qualified 'rebellions' - without nobility or bourgeiouse support, peasantry had neither the weapons, the organisation, the education nor the communication to launch a substantial revolt. On a local / village level, disorganised peasant rebellions were common and the peace was kept by nobility having the threat (and episodic usage) of force.

It's one reason why the crossbow shook things up when it became widespread. It meant that a armoured, trained knight could be taken out by a peasant - making the collection of produce a far riskier practice.

The 'satsfied peasant' myth often compared to the question of whether women ever genuinely accepted their place as subservient semi-property. In both cases it's difficult to directly assess because fiction and history were both written by upper-class males. That's why all the medieval works endorse the nobility and feudal systems - they were written by the guys who benefited from them. Peasant satisfaction, however, can be indirectly assessed from court records, executions and uprisings. As for women, we really don't have a clue. For all we know, maybe they did all accept the rules and saw absolute chastity as a virtue and that their place was to help their husband, etd. On the other hand, there's prime examples in the upper class of cunning, ambitious women, so maybe it was just that the male authors didn't realise that their wives were more active and manipulative than they thought.

Weresloth

Novice
Lesifoere said:
Just look at his DA novel: beautiful warrior maiden? That garbage wouldn't hold water in ASoIaF--the only "warrior maiden" in those books is a mannish, muscular and ugly woman nobody wants.

Eh? You are replacing a favoured one generalization with one of your choosing or one from another book? I'd say warrior maidens can be muscular and ugly or beautiful or anything inbetween depending on what the author chooses. Take a look at few high performane atheletes, some are beautiful some are not.

A usurper to the throne who's evil just because he's evil? Wouldn't fly, either; in GRRM's books everyone is to some degree a selfish bastard, and to some degree justified. And so on.

The Usurper in the book seemed to have a reason for being evil in that he was pissed off that he was the one shuffled out of his land to govern a conquered back water.

kris

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Yes, and medieval women who fight in the field are bound to have flawless, unscarred faces and perfect teeth.

If they are young they may. In fantasy moreso. Anyway, I did get your point.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hahahaha, someone who claims to be very literate getting butthurt about some faggy fantasy tripe.

Only on the Codex.

Weresloth

Novice
Lesifoere said:
Yes, and medieval women who fight in the field are bound to have flawless, unscarred faces and perfect teeth. GTFO and lurk more. Also, missing the point: DA is full of retarded romanticized stupidity. ASoIaF, which it claims to have been inspired by, is not. It's got its share, after a fashion, but nothing like Gaider's tripe.

You really didn't address my points. What does Medieval woman have to do with either of those. Now when you say DA is full, do you mean the game or the book by Dave Gaider?

I think your definition of 'inspired' by is different than a lot of peoples. It doesn't mean exactly alike as in 'taking every part of AsoIaF as canon' it means picking and chosing things from that setting that a person finds appealing. Also you are comparing a novel with no graphics to look at to a game (DA) in regards to your women in the field comment. An unfair comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom