Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dwarves Go Next-Gen!

Tuonela

Novice
Durwyn said:
I'm not arguing with you anymore. I'm drunk and can't think of any witty response. Cheers

Being drunk is a win by default, tho perhaps not in the morning.. :D

Durwyn

Prophet
Tuonela said:
Durwyn said:
I'm not arguing with you anymore. I'm drunk and can't think of any witty response. Cheers

Being drunk is a win by default, tho perhaps not in the morning.. :D

Nah, I'm saving some booze for the morning... It's ultimate win.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I had an idea for a race. They are elves who live in the forest, but are azn and dual wield katanas (due to their superior reflexes)

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
nah. tyranids were originally space lizards, if you've seen the old models. They remade tyranids' look later on, the parts of tyranids that look like aliens are just their heads.

Data4

Arcane
Black said:
Durwyn said:
Volourn said:
L0L DA is 'ripping off' TW. that's hialrious cosnidering it's been worked on as loong if not longer. Besdies, there's nothing original about TW, their dwarves, or anything at all. TW is one of the least original games in history.
!

And you know that TW is based on books from early 90s ?
Oh god, deja vu
lotrdb.jpg

Why in the FUCK did you have to share that? Seriously, this is the sort of thing that promotes murder. I want to take that little twit and strangle him and look into his eyes as the life spark slowly fades.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And you know that TW is based on books from early 90s ?"

Sure, and it's still irrelvant. TW is not original. Never was, never will be. There are plenty of things that one can accuse BIo of 'borrowing' or 'ripping' from, TW is not of those. Hell, D&D has much darker scenarios than TW can ever dream off. Go read the Maztica Trilogy which happily details human sacriufice where one priest rips the heart of another priest right out.

No doubt that DA borrows stuff from numerous sources (as most creative things do); but TW isn't one of those. It's not special, unique, or good.

Hell, pretty much any version of dwarves can be found in D&D, anyways.

TW is overrated piece of shit.

DA/BIO probally would only bother to burrow/rip off from important and worthwhile pieces of literature which TW is most certainly not.

R00fles!

Silellak

Cipher
Jaesun said:
Desire Demon....

She is... Desire... and a Demon...

Desire Demon!

How else can you tell them apart from "Combat Demon" and "Manipulate Demon"?

Jesus. Don't be so damn negative.

Black

Arcane
Volourn said:
Good thing nothing that came out of bioware isn't overrated piece of shit.
L00lers!

Silellak

Cipher
Durwyn said:
Silellak said:
Black said:
Volourn said:
Good thing nothing that came out of bioware isn't overrated piece of shit.
L00lers!

Especially not Jade Empire!

Hey, JE was pretty fun game. Fuckin short but fun.

Yeah, but IGN gave it a 9.9. I realize in general mainstream reviewers are pretty retarded, but that was a special brand of insanity.

Black said:
Durwyn said:
Volourn said:
L0L DA is 'ripping off' TW. that's hialrious cosnidering it's been worked on as loong if not longer. Besdies, there's nothing original about TW, their dwarves, or anything at all. TW is one of the least original games in history.
!

And you know that TW is based on books from early 90s ?
Oh god, deja vu
lotrdb.jpg

319999574_7d3fbfa457.jpg

Project: Eternity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_(Middle-earth)

According to The History of the Hobbit, Tolkien was now influenced by his own selective reading of medieval texts regarding the Jewish people and their history.[5] The dwarves' characteristics of being dispossessed of their homeland (the Lonely Mountain, their ancestral home, is the goal the exiled Dwarves seek to reclaim), and living among other groups whilst retaining their own culture are all derived from the medieval image of Jews,[5][6] whilst their warlike nature stems from accounts in the Hebrew Bible.[5] Medieval views of Jews also saw them as having a propensity for making well-crafted and beautiful things,[5] a trait shared with Norse dwarves.[4] For The Hobbit whilst almost all dwarf-names are taken from the Dvergatal or "Catalogue of the Dwarves", found in the Poetic Edda.[7][8] However, more than just supplying names, the "Catalogue of the Dwarves" appears to have inspired Tolkien to supply meaning and context to the list of names — that they traveled together, and this in turn became the quest told of in The Hobbit.[9] The Dwarves written language is represented on maps and in illustrations by Anglo-Saxon Runes. The Dwarven calendar invented for The Hobbit reflects the Jewish calendar in beginning in late autumn.[5] The dwarves taking Bilbo out of his complacent existence has been seen as an eloquent metaphor for the "impoverishment of Western society without Jews."[6]

DWARFS = JEWS
LOTR = ZIONIST PROPAGANDA

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Volourn said:
DA/BIO probally would only bother to burrow/rip off from important and worthwhile pieces of literature

LOL LOL. So which "important and worthwhile" pieces of literature do you think they've ripped off to fill Mass Effect? BG2? NWN?

As for aries9 or whatever, I think he's some guy from RPGWatch.

aries202

Erudite
-ehm-

I point out a fact about DA: Origins :?: and you call me a troll :?: :!: Decline of the codex, indeed.

Two years ago, or even maybe one year ago, we would have had a nice discussion about in which games or book or movies dwarfs hadn't the ability to cast magic, too....and perhaps also as to why Bioware decided to write (design) the dwarfs in DA: Origins that way...

And I really didn't know about Tolkien's inspiration for the dwarfs in LOTR....

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Dwarves don't do magic? Well, Tolkien only gave them the magic of superb blacksmithy (though elves were always better). D&D (depends on the setting though) forbid arcane magic from them, granting only divine magic. Witcher - no magic, iirc.

Death Gate-series? No magic for dwarves.
Shadowrun? Ok, dwarves could do magic but they leaned more towards mechanical stuff
Arcanum? Same as Shadowrun
Runequest? Magic and dwarves just don't mix - but they muskets instead!
That's from the top of my head - so DA isn't really original at all here.

GarfunkeL said:
Dwarves don't do magic? Well, Tolkien only gave them the magic of superb blacksmithy (though elves were always better). D&D (depends on the setting though) forbid arcane magic from them, granting only divine magic. Witcher - no magic, iirc.

Death Gate-series? No magic for dwarves.
Shadowrun? Ok, dwarves could do magic but they leaned more towards mechanical stuff
Arcanum? Same as Shadowrun
Runequest? Magic and dwarves just don't mix - but they muskets instead!
That's from the top of my head - so DA isn't really original at all here.

In the Elder Scrolls they were a mix of tech and magic. I know their ghosts used basic magic, but the 'enchantment' used on the Trueflame sword was actually an alchemical mix that never wore off.

So they used magic if they had to, but most of the time looked for scientific ways to develop magic-like effects.

Edit: But then again, the ES Dwarves seem more like Elves at times than the typical view of a Dwarf.

Weresloth

Novice
So in some games dwarves did magic, and in others they didn't therefore its' impossible to be original in that regard. That dastardly BioWare no new ideas regarding dwarves and magic!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Do people really give a fuck if it it is 'original' or not that dwarves use magic or not? LMFAOATWUYAATWDYTTIPLOLLZ!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom