Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege - How the hell was this ever popular?

Krivol

Magister
The open world with no loading screens was back in the day cool. I don't honestly remember much more than that other than it being a rather bland world/setting/story and just mindless hack and slash. And as said above, it's one and only usefulness is the excellent Ultima: Lazarus mod.
Open?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The open world with no loading screens was back in the day cool. I don't honestly remember much more than that other than it being a rather bland world/setting/story and just mindless hack and slash. And as said above, it's one and only usefulness is the excellent Ultima: Lazarus mod.
Open?
Er sorry I more meant the seamless world. In that you explore the map and continue travelling the world with no loading screens.

I briefly played Dungeon Siege III. I remember it being a beat 'em up type action game. Heavily console oriented. I tried playing the chronotheurgist guy. I recall quitting after about an hour.

Dungeon Siege 3 produced the rare Obsidian waifu.

00B4667F0C40FD255A30667A5F05954620E2742E

Modron

Arcane
There is nothing to get filtered by in Dungeon Siege, people rightly called it a screensaver back then.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Meh, there is some difficult part, mostly the one where you get ambushed by overwhelming firepower at the end of a ladder/elevator.

kuniqs

Novice
I finished DS1 a long time ago and liked it, it was fun to watch my toy soldiers run around while barely conscious and burning from inside with fever.

Lemming42

Arcane
Replaying DS1 now and honestly it's still great, yeah it's very simple and virtually plays itself but it's just fun. Nothing wrong with a game that sets out to give you a simple, straightforward experience and delivers exactly that. The only criticism I have is that the difficulty is even more nonexistent than I remember.

The graphics are absolutely gorgeous too, I'm exploring everything (to the extent that you can explore the linear maps) just to see more of the game's visuals.

There's a place for games like this, something you can just put on to kill time or take your mind off things. That's exactly what I used it for back when it came out and it works just as well for the same purpose 21 years later.

Lemming42

Arcane
I know that modern games suck but do people really need to take every single old garbage game and pretend it's good?
No pretending, I'm actually really enjoying it. I go for walks at 5 AM every day and I've been playing Dungeon Siege in the hour leading up to that and it's perfect for chilling out and look at nice fantasy graphics before going out and slinking around in the darkness IRL.

However, the party AI is fucking unbelievable dogshit. I was thinking about doing the game solo as an archer and hoarding all the XP for myself, but I decided to take on a melee guy. Big mistake. Guy's a fucking idiot. Either stands there and watches me getting torn apart by a mob, or rushes in headfirst into a room of ranged enemies and gets his shit kicked in. Unacceptably bad party AI. I played around with the settings and everything but he's just a retard no matter what.

Which has turned the game from "nice thing to play in the very early morning to chill out" to "stress-induced heart attack dispenser".

RPK

Scholar
I haven't seen the movie, but by all accounts the game is at least better than the movie.

Cue jokes about which format was more interactive :-D

Lemming42

Arcane
0IU4QQD.png

Is this a joke? The spider has a powerful ranged attack and a powerful melee attack... but if the whole party just stands here, the spider uselessly uses its melee attack to no effect, while we safespot it right in front of its stupid face. Literally went to go make a drink while it was attacking the ground in front of itself as we filled it full of arrows.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Its ass is stuck in the door. I still never bothered to get this to run on my win10 envy laptop. That fucking menu screen fucked me up.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Younger generation dealing with one of the sever cashualized autoplay "game?"

no idea why he put DungSiege3 archon(?) in the thumbnail

Across many fields you're seeing zoomers liking "boomer stuff" now, they literally feel like they're ffinding some arcane secrets when they play these games. Although I feel it's more noticeable for me with music, like they'd listen to System of a Down or Rammstein and feel like it's something out of this world

Lemming42

Arcane
My enthusiasm earlier in this thread was wrong btw, the game sucks cock after a certain point. Got into some underground area with poison frogs or something and just gave up, I'd been bored and annoyed for a couple hours by that point. The first part of the game really was great fun though, it should have just kept that energy going throughout.

I did start a second playthrough with just Lady Montbarron and no party members to see if it's more fun solo. It kind of is, but the pressure to stick with one type of weapon sort of sucks the fun away. I get that I can't be a master archer and a master swordswoman but it'd be nice if I could occasionally switch things up without sacrificing crucial XP and basically dooming myself down the line.

Still meaning to try DS2 at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom