Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Keeper (Anyone Remember?)

Ladonna

Arcane
Someone did mention Theme Hospital.

I didn't get Evil Genius myself, so cannot comment. As for the DK's, they were both pretty cool, but I cannot get either of them to work on my XP machine.

taxacaria

Scholar
I remember 'The Return of Werdna' aka wizardry IV . You are an evil mage and fight against the heroes - in the early style of sirtech's cRPGs (released 20 years ago).
Many people think it has been the all time hardest cRPG.

Ladonna said:
I preferred Warmonger to Populous.
You do mean Powermonger, yes? I never got into that game as well as Populous. It was something about the war setting, and the general ickiness of the game-engine that put me off. I can't quite put my finger on it now, it's so long since I last played them both. Not so long since I played Populous II though. Wrecking havoc over LAN! When I think back, Populous 2 actually was one of my first serious multiplayer experiences over dial-up. I liked Populous II better than the first one. Guess that has more to do with me playing it before the first one. Hell, I even liked the third one (expecting to be flamed, here). There just was something about watching all those cute, cuddly and small sprites burn and die, when I unleashed an earthquake in the middle of an enemy village in those (at the time) lush 3d-environments. Simple, but fun game.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Startopia was really great, but it had one problem: the game mechanics weren't transparent. It was hard to tell what did what. It's basically a problem of shitty documentation. Otherwise yeah, it was a truly fun game.

jefklak

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Startopia was really great, but it had one problem: the game mechanics weren't transparent. It was hard to tell what did what. It's basically a problem of shitty documentation. Otherwise yeah, it was a truly fun game.

Really? The chatty little tutorial did the job well enough here.

jefklak said:
kingcomrade said:

Really? The chatty little tutorial did the job well enough here.
Beg to differ. I had to read unusually much documentation on the net, compared to similar games, before getting the hang of it. Then again, that might have been me, being a retard. But when I did get the hang of it, however, I really wasn't all that impressed. Thought both Dungeon Keeper and Theme Hospital did a better job at the genre. But after seeing all the splurge it gets here, I guess I'll have to give it another try. I'll give it another chance at justifying the shelf space it's occupying, with that old school cardboard box and all.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Haven't played Startopia in years.

From a whoring graphics perspective (sans-gameplay considerations): Startopia's 3D just doesn't age well, unlike good 'ol 2D which always retains it's charm.

That said, DK2 still looks great and is still great fun on a LAN. Nothing like shadows and a high contrast setting to preserve the good looks..

jefklak

Scholar
Dmitron, I have to disagree. Startopia nowadays still looks charming and attractive. Dungeon Keeper II does too but not so much, but I guess that's a rather personal preference.

Fez

Erudite
Evil Genius is a piece of shit, even after patches. I waited for too long for them to make that heap into something good. Once the initial haze of a new game and it's good graphics and animations has worn off you realise it is a poor copy of the other titles mentioned here (DK, Startopia, Theme Hospital, etc.). There is no real reason to play it when there are better games out there to occupy you.

Powermonger was good back in the day. I remember the joy of getting an army all geared up with bows or other powerful weapons and then giving the commander a cannon. The economy/production side of it was tricky to manage but it was rare that games lasted long enough to make that matter.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Vaguely remember an Evil Genius article where the lead developer was selling himself as "that guy who worked with Peter Molyneux".

Fez

Erudite
He was probably his rentboy for a night. Even Molyneux's flawed games were better.

EG felt like it was half or three-quarters of a game. It either needed more time to finish or the development team were never capable of realising the vision as a complete and good title.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Hell, I never played it.

Hype is like a tiger piss scented tree to a lost possum. One wiff, and it's high-tailing time.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Dmitron said:
Vaguely remember an Evil Genius article where the lead developer was selling himself as "that guy who worked with Peter Molyneux".

In the guys defense (Demis Hassabis) he did co-design Theme Park with Peter Molyneux at the age of 16, after coming up with the idea for an Amiga magazine competition. Never did get it quite right with his own compny though.

Fez

Erudite
Dmitron said:
Hell, I never played it.

Hype is like a tiger piss scented tree to a lost possum. One wiff, and it's high-tailing time.

A good phrase to live by, perhaps. :lol:

Kotario

Liturgist
Both Evil Genius and Republic shared the same problem of forcing the player to watch the dull strategy screen far too much. Uninteresting and unresponsive, you would have to watch it for much of the time if you wanted to progress in the game. Quite a bit of wasted potential with both games, not hard to see why Elixir Studios folded.

Have to side with Jefklak on Startopia, charming is the precise word for it.

Dementia, do you know about the use of the F1 key? Easy not to, as I don't believe it is stated anywhere in the game and the manual is pathetic. It brings up a description of the object currently under the cursor.

Shame that Eidos screwed over Mucky Foot on Startopia, since it is a good game.

Fez

Erudite
Urgh, Republic. I forgot about that game. Massive hype and promises and no delivery again.

Startopia was at least fun and I felt it was a decent spiritual successor to the DK series.

There was talk of Rebellion making a sequel to EG as they had bought the rights.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom