Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Keeper (Anyone Remember?)

Dagon

Scholar
I'm just beating DK my XXXXX time, what the freaking awesome game it is.
I just wonder, why there's no communities or sites related to this game,
t's my favourite comuper game beside Fallouts, the great combination of Strategy and Roleplaying, it's just awesome.
The sequel was also quite good but the first one is much much much better!
Anyone played, enjoyed? Do you know any games which are similar?

Balor

Arcane
Well, I know, remember, and agree with you completely (not much of an RPG, of course, but anyway).
And the game similar to it is recent Evil Genius.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Evil Genius was pretty terrible. It had obscure game mechanics that often didn't make any sense, but the worse bit about it was that it was so SLOW.

I don't think I ever played Dungeon Keeper, but I played Dungeon Keeper 2 and Startopia and loved both of those games. Also, SimHospital was great.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Loved Dungeon Keeper to bits back in the golden days of yore, should probably dust it off one of these days and take it for a spin.

Now that I think about it, I never got around to finish all the maps in Deeper Dungeons (the expansion pack).. Hmm..

Nedrah

Erudite
Dungeon Keeper 2 was awesome.
I never finished it because of some level where you had to capture some princes or something within a set time. Fuckers always got away. Dungeon Keeper 1 was inferior to the second one which was just more of an improved still very good game. Of course I'd cheer for either one if it were to come out nowadays. Any news on supcom or spore btw?

Gambler

Augur
Evil Genius was okay. Not as fluid as DK, but it required more thinking and management, being more difficult.

Human Shield

Augur
Dungeon Keeper 1 is free on Home of the Underdogs.

The biggest difference seems that walls can't be dug through in DK1, which is kinda nice for defence but the designs in either game didn't make traps and doors really useful. I would like to see the game be more based on skirmishes over a longer time period and have adventuring parties keep trying.

The game comes down to mostly huge training room and then big rush.

Necaradan666

Novice
Heh I know the folks here won't like it but I never played DK, cause I could never tell just what my brother was playing all those nights all I heard were screams and all I saw were a bunch of blocks on the screen.

Littlefizz

Novice
Great games, I loved both
I prefer the first but its probably only nostalgia as I got it when it came out and when I bought the second I expected more differences.

Another similar game is majesty, 2D, no walls, probably worse overall but still a nice game, and probably good for people who miss DK, too bad the sequel was cancelled

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
kingcomrade said:
I don't think I ever played Dungeon Keeper, but I played Dungeon Keeper 2 and Startopia and loved both of those games. Also, SimHospital was great.

Startopia kicked much ass. That's not to say DK and DK2 didn't, but I'm not too sure many people played or remember Startopia. Startopia is probably the closest thing to Dungeon Keeper I've found that I really, really liked.

Dagon

Scholar
The intro with monkey in Startopia is great ;) :P
I bought it last year for 6zł, (1,5$) in bargain bin, english version.
Gee too bad that Mucky Foot is as dead as bullfrog :(

Dmitron

Arbiter
With all the shite games these days getting sequels/updates... where is DK3?

Doubtful it'll happen... ah well

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Evil genius was really good, but it had some really annoying flaws and bugs.

It was not at ALL slow, unless you played the game slow.

Dungeon keeper was definitely a classic. I agree about the sequel. I hate it when sequels are just 'more but harder' and most of the levels had a stupid 'trick' you had to do to win. I hate games like that.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Evil Genius sucks. Apart from the really cool theme that you buy into and want to enjoy, it's just horrible, boring gameplay. There's no real interactivity either. You're just kind of left watching your men run around like idiots as your base is being invaded.

Jim Kata said:
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU, BULLFROG?
EA bought them. Those that were left went on to Lionhead and made Fable.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Dungeon Keeper 3 with a soundtrack featuring the latest Hip Hop stars and brand tie ins.

Thanks EA..

Jim Kata

Arbiter
DarkUnderlord said:
Evil Genius sucks. Apart from the really cool theme that you buy into and want to enjoy, it's just horrible, boring gameplay. There's no real interactivity either. You're just kind of left watching your men run around like idiots as your base is being invaded.

Jim Kata said:
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU, BULLFROG?
EA bought them. Those that were left went on to Lionhead and made Fable.

It is just a dif'rent sort of gameplay. More like Sim Evil Genius. Designing traps that work well is pretty fun, and once you have a really good base you can rape the world so much that you are constantly invaded and gleefully mow the enemies and heroes down with machingun fire.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I could never stomach it enough to figure that out. The best I could do was to have my men running around my base setting off all the traps themselves. I even tried building that hotel cover thing but that never worked either. It was way expensive to set up and by the time I had enough Valet's and a decent hotel, the agents were tunelling through my base anyway.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
There were some real nonsensical aspects that made the game hard to get into, but the super agents were the biggest retarded aspect you would deal with them, and then immediately they would come back. Totally moronic - basically you HAVE to play in a certain way to make them come only one at a time and deal with them all permanently. Doing the missions actually works AGAINST you.

Norek

Novice
My favorite stratagy game to come out. Neat idea and fun as hell. Setting up death hallways and having a welcome party to greet the survivors still brings a smile to face. Dragons and skeletons where my favorite creatures in the game.
DK 2 was a let down for me, with in a few minutes I found a way to beat any creature while in possesion mode. It was fun none the less but it felt a little weird to play espesially since I picked it up right after playing the first one. Liked the level where you had to fight off the waves of Vamps though.
Is the expansion for the first one any good? Does it add anything new or challenging?

jefklak

Scholar
Excuse me for diggng up old stuff, but...
Why does everybody bash games with some flaws to death?

I mean, Evil Genius isn't that bad. It is horribly slow, yes. But can't this be fixed with the latest patches (didn't try)?
Besides that, the "invasion" and "heat" on the world map were stupid too. BUT the atmosphere was great and the base building stuff was funny and good. Or not?

I do agree though, that Startopia is way underrated and has excellent gameplay.
Besides DK and Theme Hospital which you somehow did not mention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom