Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Keeper (Anyone Remember?)

Kotario said:
Dementia, do you know about the use of the F1 key? Easy not to, as I don't believe it is stated anywhere in the game and the manual is pathetic. It brings up a description of the object currently under the cursor.
Me being a retard it is, then! :lol:
Anyway, I'm going to give it another shot soon.

jefklak

Scholar
It runs perfectly under WinXP, there are a couple of patches which also include extra content and such. Google, I don't know anymore where I've got them from.
By the way, Republic was awfully bad and awfully overhyped. Classic case. Wasn't the "designer" or the one who came up with the ideas some young kid claiming to be thé man? Can't remember exactly.

Edit: lol they are one and the same according to wikipedia

Demis Hassabis is a computer games designer, AI programmer, world-class games player, and neuroscientist. A child chess prodigy, he achieved an ELO rating of 2300 by the age of 12, the then highest rating for a boy of that age in the world. During his gap year, after finishing his A-levels at 16, he co-created the classic Bullfrog Productions game, Theme Park, with famous games designer Peter Molyneux. He graduated in 1997 from Queens' College, Cambridge with a Double First in Computer Science.

In 1998, Hassabis founded now-defunct Elixir Studios, a London-based independent games developer. He grew the company to 60 people, signing publishing deals with Vivendi Universal and Microsoft, and was Executive Designer of Republic: The Revolution and Evil Genius.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Theme Hospital....I could never get people to stop throwing up all over the place. I hired like 20 Mexicans to clean the floors but I would lose anyway.

Dmitron

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
Theme Hospital....I could never get people to stop throwing up all over the place. I hired like 20 Mexicans to clean the floors but I would lose anyway.

I had similar problems in Vomit Park..I mean, Theme Park.

Fez

Erudite
You had to set patrols to keep the place clean in Theme Park.

jefklak

Scholar
kingcomrade said:

Simple cause: you let people wait too long. Build more doctors offices and stuff, and especially more banks.

index.php

Arcane

KeeperFX 0.5.0 released​

https://keeperklan.com/threads/7427-KeeperFX-0-5-0
I'm happy to announce KeeperFX 0.5.0.

Not long after 0.4.9, I believe it's well worth updating for some very noticeable improvements.

Please download KeeperFX 0.5.0 here.

Mirror 1. Mirror 2. Mirror 3.
What's new in KeeperFX 0.5.0

To see the full change list, with over 300 changes, look here.

Some of the highlights:
  • Allowed the game to render more, so we can zoom out further and see further in possession
    - Modify the view-range ingame and the setting in the keeperfx.cfg file to make it feel right for you
  • Game plays in higher frame rates, without it effecting gameplay
  • Screen flickering in possession is fixed
  • Fixed computer players not casting any spells (0.4.9 bug)
  • Multiplayer improvements, added UDP as a protocol
  • Map getting explored to corners fixed
  • One-click-drag mode for building and selling, and bridges
  • Normalized sound settings
  • Map and Minimap improvements
  • Reduced the voice spam of the mentor, and provided volume control for him
  • Fixed computer players keeping Call to Arms on for longer than intended
  • Converted Tunnelers behave as you'd want
  • Destroying walls looks better
  • Fixed hero room attack/defend objectives (0.4.9 bug)
  • Hero parties all help destroy doors
  • Computer players are better at destroying doors
  • New script commands. (new new, less new)

Instructions

KeeperFX 0.5.0 Complete is delivered as a complete installation, but requires a legally owned copy of Dungeon Keeper for copyright reasons. An original version (Disk, GOG, etc) is used to play, so after extracting the archive run the included Launcher and select 'Installation' to copy the required files over. Do not overwrite KeeperFX 0.4.8 or older with this new release, it will cause problems.

Installation instructions can be found on the official wiki. If you have any problems with the release, feel free to share here or list an issue on Github. There's also a troubleshooting section on the Keeperklan Discord. Note that you will be asked for the contents of the keeperfx.log file.

Music files need to be downloaded separately if you want to have the game music play without your cd in your drive. New controls, because otherwise new people miss the one-click building.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Just finished the main campaign with FX installed - it's a really good modernisation job on one of my favourite games of all time, and I hadn't played it in well over a decade. Big thumbs up.

index.php

Arcane

The new KeeperFX Workshop has been released!​

https://keeperfx.net/workshop/browse

We're excited to announce that we've updated the KeeperFX website with workshop functionality that allows you to easily share your own maps, campaigns, tools, and assets with others in the community. This new feature will be useful for fans of KeeperFX who have been creating their own custom content. With the new update, you can now easily share those creations with the rest of the KeeperFX community.
To get started, simply create an account on the KeeperFX website and upload your creations. Other players can then browse and download your content directly from the site. You can also rate and provide feedback on other players' creations, helping to improve the quality of the content available on the site.
In addition to the workshop functionality, we've made other improvements to the KeeperFX website. For example, we've updated the design and layout to make it more intuitive and user-friendly.
We hope that these improvements to the KeeperFX website will make it easier for fans of Dungeon Keeper and KeeperFX to create, share, and enjoy custom content together. So be sure to check out the new workshop functionality and start sharing your own creations with the community!

- KeeperFX Team

index.php

Arcane
https://keeperfx.net/news/11/2023-11-10/keeperfx-100-has-been-released

KeeperFX 1.0.0 has been released!

Numerous volunteers have put in a lot of work to deliver a long list of features and fixes. Notably, with this release, there is a jump from version 0.x to version 1.x, coinciding with the removal of the link to the keeperfx.dll file.
This means that all original Dungeon Keeper code has been rewritten, establishing KeeperFX as a true open-source standalone game. Ownership of the original game is still and will always be required for copyright reasons. When installing KeeperFX 1.0, perform a fresh installation without overwriting any previous versions. Saved games cannot be migrated. There is a wiki that holds answers to most of the questions you may have, and we have a large and friendly discord community where we welcome all friendly new members.
What’s new in KeeperFX 1.0.0:
  • All remaining legacy functionality from the Dungeon Keeper executable has been moved to KeeperFX.
    • This means we are no longer limited by the original game in what we can change
    • There can now be more than 2048 things on the map at the same time
  • Maps are no longer limited to being 85x85, they can be larger or smaller
  • New units: Time Mage and Druid (are not used in old campaigns, but wait to see them in new maps)
  • Higher frame rates
  • Fixed crashes when playing in 4k resolution
  • Improved bridge building and digging for enemy computers
  • Stopped the best computer players from instantly dropping their entire army on you
  • Removed the lowest rated campaigns that were bundled, to give new users a positive first impression
  • Bundled campaigns got higher quality landview speeches
  • Added more translations for included maps and campaigns
  • Objects can have a direction (so face east for example)
  • More customization options for mapmakers and modders.
    • Add new creatures
    • Level scripts can be larger, resulting in more complex scenarios
    • Add new shots
    • New script commands
    • Custom music and sounds
    • Fully configurable traps
    • New decorative objects
  • New map textures
  • Orcs got an eating animation and the Avatar a torture animation
  • Maps can have larger hero parties
  • Improved multiplayer stability
  • Multiplayer map numbers can go past 255
  • Gems are now purple on the minimap to distinguish them from gold
  • Units visible on minimap no longer jump around

For the full change list see here.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is there a customized option for lowering difficulty? Because base game wasn't a walk in the park to begin with...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom