Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Anonona

Learned
Basically it seems the lore of the game was created with future proofing. One of the basis of the setting is that there are infinite worlds with infinite arisen and pawns. While it was created to justify why you could recruit pawns from other players, it also is a convenient excuse for future games to have their own story without having to take into account past game as long as the premise of the Dragon and the Arisen is kept. There is some fuckery though if we take DD Online as canon, which I prefer no to do, not necessarily because the setting or plot of that game is bad, but I do not like how it bent the rules to justify the MMO mechanics. In short, that game had two dragons, and one of them was helping humanity, transforming volunteers into arisens to fight the evil dragon. Don't know much beyond that, and while it opens the possibilities for what can be done with each world, I prefer the ones set in stone by the first game, which gave the plot a feeling of mystic and grandeur.

Although I interpreted the ending of the first game as the player breaking the cycle, as supposedly there is just one Seneschal dutybound to pass his charge to whatever Arisen arrives next, regardless of his world of origin, but considering that the Arisen killed the last Senechal and then himself, it seemed to imply that now the cycle was well broken. So it could be that the sequel will end up throwing a curve ball and having us deal with the consequences of our actions in Dragon's Dogma

Well, the original idea of that is that those other worlds were player’s worlds, and that the Endless Tower would connect all the different player worlds into one multiplayer dungeon. The Endless Tower didn’t make it, but other aspects like Pawns moving between worlds, and the Ur-Dragon still play into that other realities idea. But the idea also feeds into sequels being different worlds as well.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I can't remember if the first game even had a story!
Grigori (the titular dragon's dogma), stole your words and Mercedes sets out to retract them.
Then Julien asks about Choice & Consequences:

2msHF7q.png

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1000052542.jpg
This is good, but the first dragon's dogma isnt a particularly good example of "make slow travel" interesting.

1. The world isnt that particularly well designed
2. Rng based, respawning loot troughout the world. When i see a chest in gothic games or even dark souls game, whatever in that chest can be a unique game changer, or a random usable but the anticipation of finding something unique is always there. In DD 1 most chest in the overworld are big nutz or random equipments where i can craft or buy better gear in shop.
3. Lack of enemies variety and they are fairly static. Seems like this will be fixed and there will be monsters roaming dynamically and less scripted.
4. Stamina usage when running. This is still in DD 2 but honestly if they get looting and shooting right i dont mind.

The first DD is much better than your average open slop games but it still fall under the tedium of travelling at least after you cross the same area several times.

But i do trust them to some degree that they learned

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wish there were forests. Dense forests. Have the enemies and heroes smash through trees, splinters flying everywhere, cracking sounds coming into the surround channels. The land is somewhat barren.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
A story in two part :
Part 1 : How ESG turn the gullible Japan businessman into its bitch
20240129-003302.jpg

Part 2: now get reaady to cencorship in
Japanese games

In the recent trailer of #DragonsDogma2 do the armors option looks limited compared to the previous #DragonsDogma ?

In #DD2 the torso and hands armor are merged like legs and feet, so the "clothing" option are removed and we cant dress our character like we want?

20240129-005340.jpg

Tehdagah

Arcane
A story in two part :
Part 1 : How ESG turn the gullible Japan businessman into its bitch
20240129-003302.jpg

Part 2: now get reaady to cencorship in
Japanese games

In the recent trailer of #DragonsDogma2 do the armors option looks limited compared to the previous #DragonsDogma ?

In #DD2 the torso and hands armor are merged like legs and feet, so the "clothing" option are removed and we cant dress our character like we want?

20240129-005340.jpg
Even Tecmo? RIP Dead or Alive

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Hasnt Consoles AAA games been running at 30 FPS for decades? Did cyberpunk/bg3/starfieldz etc run at 60 fps on consoles? I dont get the outrage

Because a selling point for the Xbox Series X and PS5 was 60fps. A good deal of games for the new consoles now run at 60fps. People liked it and got used to it. Then when a game comes out that isn't 60fps, they become disappointed.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
To be fair, from those examples, only cyberpunk runs (or targets) 60 frames. This 30 cap rumor was spawned by the system requirements on steam. Even the recommended specs of the pc port is targeting 30 frames...

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 10600 / AMD Ryzen 5 3600
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT with 8GB VRAM
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Additional Notes: Estimated performance: 1080p/30fps. Framerate might drop in graphics-intensive scenes. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6800 required to support ray tracing.
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-10700 / AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 / AMD Radeon RX 6700
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Network: Broadband Internet connection
    • Additional Notes: Estimated performance: 2160i/30fps. Framerate might drop in graphics-intensive scenes. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 6800 required to support ray tracing.

Gerrard

Arcane
On one hand game looks hype, on the other it's still Crapcom with its DRM or denuvo that will kill your FPS and "We don't want players modding our games" and ESG slop, so supporting this financially is immoral.
:majordecline:

Yosharian

Arcane
I've already seen YT videos defending 30 FPS, some guy was saying that 40 FPS is his 'sweet spot' for performance vs fidelity

Fucking disgusting

cruel

Cipher
So, they kept retarded healing via inventory and also a single save slot? Wtf?

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom