Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

AbstractKazzy

Novice
Loving the game with 16 hours so far. Only thing that really bugs me is that the game only has 5 songs in the whole ost that it uses for every situation.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Now I'm in a pickle. Picked up Rab and Jade and I have no idea who to use in my party. I think I might spend some time now just trying different party combinations to find out what works for me the best.

Fred

Learned
Loving the game with 16 hours so far. Only thing that really bugs me is that the game only has 5 songs in the whole ost that it uses for every situation.
yeah the music is really the let down of this game, compared to VIII (which also had few tracks but so good).
The exploration music is meh. The only really good piece of music imo was in the Japanese forging village talking in haikus. It's like a 1 minute piece but it's excellent.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, dear god...

I got to Heliodor and the FPS went from the 45-60 I was getting in the wilderness between cities to literally sub-20, averaging something like 17.

What the fuck, Squeenix, I thought this was a decent port...
I've had silky smooth 60fps all game.

The gryfoon fight was great. Got wiped on my first attempt. On the second, put one to sleep and focused on the other. Didn't grind for second attempt, just ran through the dungeon, avoiding monsters.

Veronica's introduction was funny, and the whole section in general put a smile on my face. Dislike the haiku dialog and the music, though.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
I'm a super Slowpoke when it comes to this series (never played it before), with a bad computer (so probably won't run this one), but I just wanted to wish you all a fun playthrough because I just got my first DQ game (DQ8 on 3DS).:love:Will lurk thread casually to see if XI meets your expectations so that I can maybe get that one, too. In some future. I'm thinking like 2022.

Fred

Learned
I said the game is running fine on my potato PC, but I still had to reduce everything to minimum in the first big city, and arriving in Venise I also had to close my browser because else the hard drive kept working. Chrome likes memory. But hey, it's ok, my PC is worth like 150$ now, I'm already content to be able to play it on it.
Btw did you find the 1500g treasure chest in the sand city ? Hidden in an obvious place, I missed it first time I was there.

I tried to respec, it keeps the skill points from seeds (someone asked) and it cost 10g per skill point, but you can respec (remove all points) from just one skill tree at a time, which makes it cheaper.

Mojobeard

Augur
Now I'm in a pickle. Picked up Rab and Jade and I have no idea who to use in my party. I think I might spend some time now just trying different party combinations to find out what works for me the best.
Rab is honestly garbage compared to the others, neither the spell selection or the damage is that impressive. Jade though, is possibly the greatest and most versatile single target damage dealer in the game.

Jinn

Arcane
For those having trouble picking party members, you are aware that you can switch characters in and out of battles at any time as long as they don't have a serious status ailment, right? Also, you can swap equipment during combat.

Curratum

For those having trouble picking party members, you are aware that you can switch characters in and out of battles at any time as long as they don't have a serious status ailment, right? Also, you can swap equipment during combat.

What's the key for the mid-combat swap?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BA92B536064D302748174D56DE91BFE5A43C149B

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i dunno if dq11 is better than 8, since i have personal issues with 8 i can't judge it objectively. i always disliked the fact that dq8 overshadowed the much superior dq7, and i found dq8's plot, story and characters a big step down from 7's amazing work. The fact that it was dq8 which became known as "the best one" never sat well with me and soured me on it.

I'm enjoying dq11 more than I did 8, though, I can definitely say that. I need to re-play dq8 one of these days and play through it (and finish it, never did finish it) with fresh eyes now that enough time has passed that It no longer matters that it was inferior to 7.

Hyperion

Arcane
7 is 1,000% the better game, due to its sheer scope, magnitude, and overall better difficulty balance - late bosses in 8 were just annoying when they spammed the Distortion Wave to remove your buffs (including tension) every 3rd turn. Beating God in 20 turns was a nasty challenge that wasn't entirely the stat bloat that the Black Dragon onwards became on the Dragovian Dais of 8.

But, the characters of 7 were nowhere near the characters of 8. While Kiefer was a great womanizer bro, he wasn't half the bro Yangus is (Oi, guv!), and not nearly as sleazy as our Wopanese buddy Angelo. Plus, Jessica remains the series best waifu. Jade doesn't come even close.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Rab is honestly garbage compared to the others, neither the spell selection or the damage is that impressive. Jade though, is possibly the greatest and most versatile single target damage dealer in the game.

Hard to say for me, I'd have to see how he performs during boss fights. I just learned Kabuff with Serena though so it'll be pretty hard to replace him with her as a support character right now. His party wide HoT is nice but without testing him out on the field I can't say if it's truly functional or not.

Jinn

Arcane
For those who are confused about switching party members in combat go to Tactics, then Line-Up and swap from there.

Fred

Learned
I discovered some shortcuts, in case you don't know.
In the menu press square to heal everyone (don't have to enter the submenu)
On the map screen press L2 to see active quests on that map, harvest points, or press L2 again to show the zoom menu.
This is really useful. (sorry I use a playstation pad so dunno about keyboard or xbox key names)

Vorark

Erudite
Lol, poor Hero. Anyone who got to this part will understand.

YrjSPRG.jpg

Followed by Veronica and Serena looking pissed and Erik asking "Err.... was it any... good?" Laugh my ass out! :lol:

Kaivokz

Arcane
Possibility of a fast mode is... slim. Well, it's possible, I suppose.

Game looks fucking BEAUTIFUL if you enable TAA, however I see why they didn't include it as an option: it produces noticeable "ghosting" when you pan the camera around.

Only other way to get rid of jaggies/shimmering is to bump the rez up to the sky, le sigh.

I'm running at 4K (3840 × 2160) and don't notice any difference at all with TAA enabled. But, once I bumped the samples up to 64 there is no ghosting (I don't know if this is because it isn't working or because the ghosting is gone). The draw distance and shadow upgrades to the .ini are great, though. Bumped draw distance up to 2 and haven't noticed any pop in.

Been going back and forth with this and MHW. Using what seems to be the "difficulty trifecta" amongst Codexers - No Fleeing, no XP from pussies, and Strong Monsters, it's the most challenging Dragon Warrior. Hands down. Harder than doing Dragon's Graveyard right after Dhoulmagus, harder than Graccus in VII, the Hydra from III is a kitten. Every single fight keeps you on your toes, and I find myself casting Heal in battle a lot more than I'm used to because I never know when an enemy will double up its attacks on me. I'm not even far, and the game hasn't gotten that tough yet, but it's fantastic.

You also get an extra postgame dungeon if you beat it on Draconian Mode

I've been doing the same (both swapping between MHW and that draconian combo)--do you have source on the spoiler?

Game is a lot of fun. I find it amusing that making games even remotely challenging is "appealing to the western audience." I'm glad they put in draconian mode; this would have very quickly become a drinking game otherwise. I'm about 15 hours in, and while I haven't game over'd since the little Tora demon, battles are definitely deadly. Characters and story are charming in the way of an old fantasy novel. I'd recommend it so far.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Makes me wonder what the fuck is going on in japan with "gamers". It used to be back in the NES/SNES/PSX days that games were made easier when ported to the west, now it's the other way around.

I blame mobile games!!!!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, Squeenix did as Squeenix does and released "HD Remasters" of DQ1-3 for Playstation Network and for 3DS eShop.

Check out these abominations:
Dragon-Quest_2017_08-07-17_003.jpg
Dragon-Quest_2017_08-07-17_004.jpg

They're using the same style of Adobe Flash-looking 2D image filtering that they used for the FF5 and FF6 "HD" ports for mobile and PC. These DQ1-3 screens look slightly less haram than the atrocious rape done to FF5-6 sprites but... no thanks!

EDIT: Oh, these are only in japanese so far. Obviously there's no point in ever getting these as playing the SNES remakes is a far superior experience than these abominations could hope to be, but just in case anyone was wondering why they hadn't heard about this it's because they're probably never going to localize these "HD" ports.

EDIT #2: Oh christ...
Dragon-Quest-II-Luminaries-of-the-Legendary-Line_2017_08-11-17_001.jpg_600.jpg

NO.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the griffin twins was ok. i just spam rubblerouser while both character mostly do healing and the hero occasionally cast sizz.

well i mean it's how its meant to be played. it's not an exciting boss battle if you just use regular attack and doesnt feel the tension "shit can go wrong in any moment, imma crap my pants"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom