Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thread getting a bit spoilery now.

I'm out for the next 50 or so hours at least until I finish the main story.

I just hope modders that are starting to work on this forget about tweaking the already good graphics and look at the possibility of a 'fast battle' option, or 16:10 support. They're the only flaws in the game so far imo.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Possibility of a fast mode is... slim. Well, it's possible, I suppose.

Game looks fucking BEAUTIFUL if you enable TAA, however I see why they didn't include it as an option: it produces noticeable "ghosting" when you pan the camera around.

Only other way to get rid of jaggies/shimmering is to bump the rez up to the sky, le sigh.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Engine.ini tweaks - Increased Object Draw Distance, LOD & Shadow Quality
The 'Engine.ini' file can be found in your 'Documents\My Games\DRAGON QUEST XI\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor' folder.

Add the following lines:

[/script/engine.renderersettings]
r.ViewDistanceScale=5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=8192
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=16
r.Shadow.TexelsPerPixel=10
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.01
r.LightFunctionQuality=2

Comparison screenshots:

DistanceScale: Before [i.imgur.com] / After [i.imgur.com]

LOD: Before [i.imgur.com] / After [i.imgur.com]

Shadows: Before [i.imgur.com] / After [i.imgur.com]

More shadows: Before [i.imgur.com] / After [i.imgur.com]

Performance impact is around 5-8fps with my aging 970, your mileage may vary. I've opted to just downsample and lock the game to 30fps. DistanceScale is probably the most taxing, the default is '1' so obviously that's a 5x increase, and it's probably overkill. Shadows will now be higher resolution (the actual resolution varies by map) and will no longer pop-in at close range on smaller objects like the wooden boxes as shown in the comparison above.

If anyone has found any useful tweaks/additions or better values than what I've posted above please feel free to share in here.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I bought this today. I just finished Far Cry 6 or whatever the newest one is so I needed something else to play.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Glad I sarted on "Normal" and not hard core Draconia mode(s).

It proving to be (for me) just about right difficulty wise and not too grindy.

Sometimes I need to go level up the hero 1 or 2 times, but in the end I defeat whatever it was that was kicking my ass.

So, fuck that noise about starting on hard.

But..I wiil agree with whoever it was...It is a corridor RPG, follow the main path, (or go left go right (or up down, what have you)t and follow the dead ends off it) to find treasures, repeat.

It's not "Open World" at all. It's a corridor shooterRPG, plain and simple.

Zep--

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's not "Open World" at all. It's a corridor shooterRPG, plain and simple.

Who the ever said DQ is open world? The answer is no one. DQ games, since the very first one on the NES follow a very basic formula:

Place player in a medium-sized (sometimes large) area with 3-5 points of interest that intersect, and then (one way or another) funnel the player into the NEXT medium-sized area of the map, lather-rinse-repeat.

They do this because they structure the games around gameplay vignettes. And, btw, this a plus, not in any way some sort of "detriment" in design. "Open world" is absolute cancer.

Fred

Learned
Hard is pretty hard, I wiped twice on random battles in the first 3 hours, and I'm a veteran DQ player ><
An encounter with 3 archers and one thing, I have 29 max HP, the archers do 8-10. Ouch. (to be fair I haven't grinded at all, in fact I pretty much avoided most battles, was lvl3 arriving in town)
Anyway, in town I had to reduce everything to mini, my potato PC couldn't take it but there is no loading when you change the graphic options so it's nice.

For the world don't worry, it opens a lot later, before the boat the game is more or less a tutorial.

A small tip, take flame sword for MC and the steal skill for his companion, makes for a nice combo.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
For the world don't worry, it opens a lot later, before the boat the game is more or less a tutorial.

Don't believe his lies...

After the boat, it is still a corridor shooter ( the new corridor is the water, and also a PITA)

Zep--

Fred

Learned
Well yeah that's true but the maps are still a lot bigger.

jungl

Augur
Problem is japanese gamers complain even if a game is open world lite.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Here are the settings I'm using, I'm using the "default values" for shadow grouping '3', except I changed the resolution of the shadow maps to '512', and added the shadow variables that were posted (that don't appear in that unreal documentation page).

I also went ahead and pasted the "default values" for the effects grouping '1' (want more performance), the foliage grouping '1' (same). Additionally I found variables that enable the Motion Blur and added those, along with the Temporal AA values someone posted, which isn't available by default in the game.

The game screenshot: DQ11 Tweaked
dq11initweaks01.png

The ini variables: DQ11 Tweaked INI
dq11inisettingsfile01.png

I'm using a resolution of 1792x1008 and have ReShade's lumasharpen and Clarity shaders turned on. Gotta say with these ini settings it looks pretty much as perfect as I think I can get it. The shadows also draw much farther than if I were just using the default ShadowQuality '1' variable. The real test for FPS will come in the big cities though, so I might lower resolution to 1536x936.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
BTW, the r.viewdistancescale can be raised up to '10' (default is '1'), which will obviously kill your rig but I mention it for those who want absolutely NO pop-in whatsoever of any kind.

For reference I have mine set to '0.7'... ^_^

The r.ShadowResolution variable can likewise be raised skyhigh up to 8k, probably higher. I'm using the value from in-game setting '1' (512x512), but with all of the other shadow variables taken from the in-game values for '3'. And yes, the shadows look fucking jaw-dropping when you start raising that resolution size for the shadow maps.

Lastly, if you do only one "tweak" I recommend using the Temporal AA options (you need to put in the DefaultAA = 2 variable in [RenderSettings], then below under [System] put the rest of all the other TAA settings pictured above. After doing it the game will look blurry but with zero jaggies or shimmer, so sharpen it with ReShade's lumasharpen.

Really makes the game look beautiful, plus bye-bye shimmering grass.

EDIT: And remmeber to make the Engine.ini file READ-ONLY!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
GODDAMN this fucking game is pretty, even at a paltry 1008p (1792x1008).

Anyway, I finally have my full party, just got the twins who swore to slobber my knobber. I put the healer into spears, and the loli into wands.

Jinn

Arcane
Open world doesn't have to be bad. It just most of the time is. A couple of the best open world games are Gothic I and II for example.

But yeah, no one ever claimed this was an open world game. Doesn't mean there isn't a ton of great stuff to explore. Maps are big enough.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Btw if you look at the cats in the Sultan's Palace in FPP mode they'll turn to look at you. It's fun discovering little attention to detail in the game that you will miss if you don't try looking at the environment closer with FPP every now and then.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Hobo, I also noticed just now in Galopalos that some NPCs react to you if you break objects near them. An old lady turned to me and said I startled her, hehe.

Hyperion

Arcane
Old lady in Heliodor yells at you when you steal her daughter's Fishnet Stockings in the early game, too.

Fred

Learned
Rofl the difficulty is so insane (in hard)
I beat the griffins at lvl9, no herbs left (had 8), no MP left, MC at 12 and the other at 2 HP. Without putting them to sleep I don't know if I could have done it.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
I've so far only party wiped to bosses. So I'm happy with my choice of not going for harder enemies.

The difficulty on "normal" seems just fine to me.

A question about the "respec" option at the statues, do I get my seeds back? Otherwise I'm just gonna stick with my bad choices.

Zep--

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I've so far only party wiped to bosses. So I'm happy with my choice of not going for harder enemies.

The difficulty on "normal" seems just fine to me.

A question about the "respec" option at the statues, do I get my seeds back? Otherwise I'm just gonna stick with my bad choices.

Zep--

Reads good. I feel love with VIII a few months ago and I appreciate how well the simple (but effective) storytelling goes with the simple (but VERY effective) combatsystem. Does the game have bugs so far?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom