Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: There Goes The Neighborhood

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
BG > Codex

Drakron

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
I will say the one thing that gripes me about BioWare's sci-fi games is they just can't break away from the high fantasy model of TEH ANSHUNT EEVLE. It's sci-fi, guys.

Well in KOTOR at least the whole thing was nothing but a automated mass production factory ... not EEVLE by itself, even if it runs on the Dark Side of The Force (that was goofy).

It was also more Malak and it had good concepts and ideas, the Sith thing is rather overused but they were not exactly the first to use and they keep the whole thing to take over the plot.

Also its Star Wars and they kinda did a good job, they could have done FAR worst ... like it did in the sequel.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Drakron said:
Also its Star Wars and they kinda did a good job, they could have done FAR worst ... like it did in the sequel.

KOTOR 2 did story a lot better, but it didn't feel like Star Wars at all. The parts that felt fake about KOTOR 2 (finding the Jedi Masters) felt fake about KOTOR 1 as well (the star maps)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
God fucking dammit, sometimes I have the feeling that I am the only one who thinks that KotOR 2's storyline is perfectly fine with its setting.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
God fucking dammit, sometimes I have the feeling that I am the only one who thinks that KotOR 2's storyline is perfectly fine with its setting.

It's fine with the setting. It's just that Star Wars usually has epic, save the galaxy plots. Mass Effect's plot would have fit better into the Star Wars universe than KOTOR 2's.

Drakron

Arcane
I would not say it did the story better (on the contrary), some concepts might been interesting but they clashed too hard with the setting being Star Wars.

Also its always a bad idea to make the character the focus of the game and also make him a SUBORDINATE of the Oh So Powerful Darth Revan ... I could hear the sound of cock sucking any time things were about the oh So Powerful Revan.

A lot of EU autors tried to inject relativism in Star Wars concept of the Force and they all failed, KOTOR gone the length about having ONE concept (Kreia) and forgot in the end, its a concept and people have different ideas of what The Force is ... even if ultimate there is just one correct concept.

And at least the Star Maps had a purpose (finding the Star Forge), on the other hand finding the Jedi Masters had ... none.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Drakron said:
And at least the Star Maps had a purpose (finding the Star Forge), on the other hand finding the Jedi Masters had ... none.

No, sir, none at all.

Your purpose - find out why they stripped you of the force.
Kreia's purpose - exact terrible revenge for their ignorance and prejudice.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
I played KOTOR 2 first, and I actually liked KOTOR 2's portrayal of him as someone who was more of a "kill lives to save lives" guy than someone who just fell to the Dark Side.

I would have preferred other people's takes on the force and not just Kreia's, but her's seemed to make the most sense to the story. If only there had been an ending...

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I was not a fan of KotoR2's story, mainly because it did not feel like Star Wars at all to me.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
inwoker said:
that's the reason I liked it

Kind of an odd reaction to have, given that it is a SW game.

Anyway, I would have liked it better as a non-SW game, but I didn't much care for the setup, (or the characters, especially Kreia), regardless.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
santino27 said:
inwoker said:

Anyway, I would have liked it better as a non-SW game, but I didn't much care for the setup, (or the characters, especially Kreia), regardless.

It's not just a star wars game. It's a game made by a talented development team with some of the best writers in the business. Hell, the world of darkness is about as lame as settings come, but Bloodlines is fantastic based solely on the merits of the developers, who made a game infinitely better than the lame "goths sitting in their mom's basement with hardons for vampires" source material. For what its worth, I think KOTOR II's story is fantastic, the characters are extremely well done, and its one of the best games made in the last 5 or 6 years, despite the bugs. KOTOR was fun enough, but KOTOR II comes close to being a masterpiece. If they'd had time to finish and polish, it would probably be one of my top five games of all time, with maybe the single best ending in RPG history.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but KOTOR II comes close to being a masterpiece"

This is a masterpiece funni. EPIC LOLZ!

Texas Red

Whiner
SpaceKungFuMan said:
santino27 said:
inwoker said:

It's not just a star wars game. It's a game made by a talented development team with some of the best writers in the business. Hell, the world of darkness is about as lame as settings come, but Bloodlines is fantastic based solely on the merits of the developers, who made a game infinitely better than the lame "goths sitting in their mom's basement with hardons for vampires" source material. For what its worth, I think KOTOR II's story is fantastic, the characters are extremely well done, and its one of the best games made in the last 5 or 6 years, despite the bugs. KOTOR was fun enough, but KOTOR II comes close to being a masterpiece. If they'd had time to finish and polish, it would probably be one of my top five games of all time, with maybe the single best ending in RPG history.

Two words: WAT

I agree with you on KotOR 2 but have you actually read anything on the World of Darkness? The lore behind the games is ingenious and surpasses most SF/fantasy literature works. Have you read Anne Rice or Stephanie Meyer and then compared them to Masquerade?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Jaime Lannister said:
It's fine with the setting. It's just that Star Wars usually has epic, save the galaxy plots.

I never thought of Star Wars as "save the galaxy". Uncle Owen was doing just fine on his own with his water farm. He would have continued doing fine if he hadn't bought R2D2. The Empire was run by an evil douchebag, but it's not like they did a whole lot about how bad the Empire was.

darthdarther

Novice
santino27 said:
inwoker said:

My problem with Star Wars is that it's the same generic feel-good story all the time. In every show, book and game. The whole concept of Star Wars is timeless, but Lucas doesn't do anything with it he hasn't done a hundred times already.

Saint_Proverbius said:
Jaime Lannister said:
It's fine with the setting. It's just that Star Wars usually has epic, save the galaxy plots.

I never thought of Star Wars as "save the galaxy". Uncle Owen was doing just fine on his own with his water farm. He would have continued doing fine if he hadn't bought R2D2. The Empire was run by an evil douchebag, but it's not like they did a whole lot about how bad the Empire was.

Shit was better under the Emperor. You know he and Vader would've found a way to beat the Yuuzhan Vong, but Luke had to go and be a prick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom