Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: There Goes The Neighborhood

Deleted member 7219

I bet EA decided this, to maximise revenue.

DemonKing

Arcane
This has been known about for some time and was probably inevitable once EA took over.

Let's hope that future DA titles continue to be developed first on PC rather than being console ports...although I won't keep my hopes up.

Drakron

Arcane
Dragon Age was in development hell, I think if it was released as a screensaver it would be victory of some kind.

Of Spore was in development hell as well and ... well we seen what come out of it.

Chefe

Erudite
Who cares? The only good game Bioware ever created was KOTOR, and that fell apart half way through the story. NWN was a toolkit, so I don't count that as a "game".

Deleted member 7219

Chefe said:
Who cares? The only good game Bioware ever created was KOTOR, and that fell apart half way through the story. NWN was a toolkit, so I don't count that as a "game".

I thought Jade Empire and Mass Effect were good too. Slightly unfair to dismiss them totally, anyway.

Chefe

Erudite
I've claimed to fall asleep during many dull games, but Mass Effect was the only one where I ever actually passed out.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Matt7895 said:
I thought Jade Empire and Mass Effect were good too. Slightly unfair to dismiss them totally, anyway.
jade empire constantly promised leet shiznit without delivering (oh but the open palm and closed fist are not simply good and evil... it's about intent! intent i tellz ya! wait, you want to tell me why you did that? i don't care go fuck yourself.), spoiled the most critical element of the story in the first five minutes, and effectively was a westernized superficial scrapping of quasi-asian mythology without any depth whatsoever, which is sad, because it could have been awesome. mass effect on the other hand was just a mediocre game full of jrpg-yes-no-styled but more elaborate quasi-choices without any significant consequences.
not to mention that both are chosen one must kill teh foozle games. meh.

if da is anything like them, it can rot in console hell for all i care.

Deleted member 7219

They may have been lacking as RPGs, but they were still enjoyable to play through as video games.

Skankster

Novice
The Baldurs gate games were pretty good, and had some toughish battles. Apart from that the rest have been far too easy in that aspect. Some of the content included in all the games has been good.

If only they were a bit more challenging and tactical.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Matt7895 said:
They may have been lacking as RPGs, but they were still enjoyable to play through as video games.
hm, good point. the fact that i finished both means they weren't total failures.. but still.. so much fucking potential wasted.

Drakron

Arcane
Matt7895 said:

I know someone already had a kick at this but ...

Jade Empire starts relative well and then falls apart, its a very flawed game that I would not call "good"... in order to be good it would have to undergo a complete redesign in pretty much all fields.

Mass Effect is pretty much the standard BioWaring RPG ... except its far too much "strait to DVD/TV movie" B Movie and its full of awkward moments, not to say I am getting tired of the whole "power of 3" that BioWare is having going since NwN (yes, even JE had it ... the Spirit Monk amulet).

Annonchinil

Scholar
By some reason I have this feeling that the Dragon Age forums have gotten more retarded as the game was unveiled.

DemonKing

Arcane
Drakron said:
Jade Empire starts relative well and then falls apart, its a very flawed game that I would not call "good"... in order to be good it would have to undergo a complete redesign in pretty much all fields.

Mass Effect is pretty much the standard BioWaring RPG ... except its far too much "strait to DVD/TV movie" B Movie and its full of awkward moments.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Apart from the combat, which I found to be rather lacking in both games, I found them both to be enjoyable romps with decent stories albeit heavily based on the KOTOR model rather than the BG one. Sure they had some B movie momments but overall they were "epic" in a good way, IMO.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
DemonKing said:
decent stories
what exactly was decent about me's "let's promote racism with a chosen one kills the incredibly ancient incredibly evil foozle plot" story?

DemonKing

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
DemonKing said:
decent stories
what exactly was decent about me's "let's promote racism with a chosen one kills the incredibly ancient incredibly evil foozle plot" story?

Not sure if you're refering to JE, ME or both... :lol:

In any event, I thought the storytelling was one of the strong points of both games. It was certainly better than the combat, mingames, vehicle sections and inventory systems.

Maybe the plots themselves were not the most original but the delivery, style and characterisation used to present the stories were pretty decent.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
SuicideBunny said:
spoiled the most critical element of the story in the first five minutes, and effectively was a westernized superficial scrapping of quasi-asian mythology without any depth whatsoever, which is sad, because it could have been awesome.

This. An RPG set in Chinese-derivative setting could have been so good--if the writers bothered to do any research, to get acquainted with the actual culture... but no. I imagine the only research they did was watching Mulan. If that.

mass effect on the other hand was just a mediocre game full of jrpg-yes-no-styled but more elaborate quasi-choices without any significant consequences.

Worse, they ripped off much better sci-fi with a zest I find astounding even for Bioware. Firefly, Farscape, and probably a bunch of other things.

J1M

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
SuicideBunny said:
spoiled the most critical element of the story in the first five minutes, and effectively was a westernized superficial scrapping of quasi-asian mythology without any depth whatsoever, which is sad, because it could have been awesome.

This. An RPG set in Chinese-derivative setting could have been so good--if the writers bothered to do any research, to get acquainted with the actual culture... but no. I imagine the only research they did was watching Mulan. If that.

mass effect on the other hand was just a mediocre game full of jrpg-yes-no-styled but more elaborate quasi-choices without any significant consequences.

Worse, they ripped off much better sci-fi with a zest I find astounding even for Bioware. Firefly, Farscape, and probably a bunch of other things.
No, not really. Asian mythology is pretty shitty. Norse or Celtic alone is a much better place to draw from than all of Asia.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
J1M said:
No, not really. Asian mythology is pretty shitty. Norse or Celtic alone is a much better place to draw from than all of Asia.
it comes down to taste. norse mythology is boring me to hell because of the similarities to modern greek mythology, which has been so fucking overdone in both pnp and computer rpgs that it hurts, and the fact that it's the source of a great deal of cliche fantasy monsters and races, while celtic mythology seems the same flavour as shinto to me, and, contrary to shinto, has been quite overdone in jrpgs.

KevinV12000

Arcane
The thing about idiocy is that it is not content to simply leave its massive empire alone.

It's not enough that console gaming has wiped out PC gaming. The market must be sure by wiping out even the possibility of an alternative.

That's the great thing about being a moron: you never, ever lose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom