Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Origins vs Dragon Age 2

DA:O or DA2?

• DA:O

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DA2

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Konjad said:
if you finished the game then it means it was at least mediocre for you, even if the only thing that made you play for so long were 'lulz'.
Not true. I've finished a lot of games that were total shit and much worse than DA:O. Why? Because I paid money for them (no matter if it's just two bucks at the local flea market). Because I like to finish what I've started. Because there's always a small chance that the game might actually become enjoyable at some point (it happens rarely, but it does happen nonetheless). And if you've finally managed to beat a crappy game, it'll be much more enjoyable to throw the disc out of the window or smash it into a million little pieces.

By the way, does the same thing apply to books and movies as well? If you watched a movie from start to finish, it had to be at least decent?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Carrion said:
By the way, does the same thing apply to books and movies as well? If you watched a movie from start to finish, it had to be at least decent?

At least mediocre. Yes, pretty much. Why would anyone sane want to watch a film, that's just plainly boring and retarded, but not enough to at least give some laughs? For example I watched Avatar until the end. The film was terrible in every aspect except graphic, but at the same time it was so stupid and predictable that it actually was funny in some parts. If it wasn't I'd just turn it off.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
commie said:
Jaesun said:
I threw my fucking DA:O DVD over my fence after I finished it.

I will never taint my HD with the filth of DA II.

But you waited until you finished it, so what's the point? This is a detail you conveniently left out the other times you proudly boasted how you; in the interests of the greater good; destroyed you copy of DA:O.

Would you rather I lie and complain about a games tire textures and call it shit, or actually play the entire game and then discuss it further on my experience on actually playing it?

Seriously commie....

You have successfully removed commie from your BRO list.

Well if you put it that way. I DID finish Arcania after all for much of the same reasons. Difference is that I didn't pay for it which is what you should have done.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Another point for DA2:

2190-1-1300107738.jpg

:smug:

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
So... I took a week long break from DA2 and I honestly can't bring myself to get into it again.

Probably going to return it to gamefly.

I guess this means that DA1 wins in my book by default...

CorpseZeb

Learned
racofer said:
Why does she have the hands of a 70-year old?

I'm not really looking at her hands...

But he has the point, what if the rest of her body is like her hands... Bits of boobs don't tell full story of the women body, y'know.

Ps. Clearly, she is using some of cheap "I'm younger" spell, which doesn't cover all the body. Simple.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DAO is at least playable on some level. Get rid of Derp Roads and the Fade and it would almost be a mediocre RPG experience. DAO2 fails on all fronts except as a faggot simulator.

racofer

Thread Incliner
And even so, DA:O is worth at least a single playthrough, at most.

I struggled to finish that game a year ago and, besides the derp roads, I've found it to be OKish. Earlier this year, however, I attempted to give it another go and I simply couldn't manage it. The beginning is too slow and monotonous, party members are tiresome, combat system is dreadful, much worse than earlier Bioware games that also featured RTwP (probably because Bioware can't make anything without using the D20 system).

And that engine.... damn. Looks terrible and runs worse than ME2, crashes to desktop all the time with certain spells, memory leaks are considered a feature at this point, my character profile ate over 100 mb of diskspace to store my savegames (whereas all of my ME1 and ME2 save files combined, from multiple characters, take around 14 mb). Lots of broken (as in not working at all) spells/abilities. Camera obstructs my view, it's hard to click on ground items depending on camera position. If your cursor hits the screen border, the camera loses focus on your character and stays there, showing you nothing. Well, I could go on forever listing this game's flaws, there are too many.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Excidium said:
It's still better than the NWN2 OC, though.
No.
Yes.

DA:O at least had some decently designed encounters with traps, archers on higher ground, casters in the backline, melee in the front with a strong leader...

All fights in NWN2 OC as far as I got were just giant cluster fucks, and aoe targeting was a pain in the ass with the cursor constantly locking on targets...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Excidium said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Excidium said:
No.
Yes.

DA:O at least had some decently designed encounters with traps, archers on higher ground, casters in the backline, melee in the front with a strong leader...

All fights in NWN2 OC as far as I got were just giant cluster fucks, and aoe targeting was a pain in the ass with the cursor constantly locking on targets...
The writing, quests and NPCs are considerably better though, and I think that matters more.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Excidium said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Excidium said:
No.
Yes.

The writing, quests and NPCs are considerably better though
Better? DAO and NWN2 OC are equally shit in those aspects.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
and I think that matters more.
Not when the game has so much combat.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
NWN2 fights you can go through quite quickly, even in the orc caves (I still don't understand why people hate them so much; I think I finished the whole dungeon in like half an hour). Therefore NWN2 wins by default.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
NWN 2 has the better setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom