Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but derp roads killed it..

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grifthin said:
Well in Buldurs gate 2 every battle went exactly the same way.
Party had tanks, casters, support.
So usually Rogue/Fighter/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard/Wizard.
Party gets buffed preferably with mindblank/death wards etc.
Fighters fight, wizards debuff enemy, Rogue uses bow, Cleric heals. There was no need to change tactics. Every single fight could be solved in that way. Half the Time to rogue was useless (no backstab against undead/constructs/etc) so was only good out of combat. This was fine. The fighter was the biggest money sink due to trying to get his THAC0 to something decent. The Cleric pretty much didn't care about equip other than some decent armor and the wizards didn't need shit to be effective. Anything from Golems to Dragons to humanoids could be solved in exactly the same way.

So baldurs gate 2 had a larger variety of enemies, but the battles boiled down to the same thing at the end of the day even though there was a variety of enemies they all died pretty much the same. But then again all RPG's boil down to that at the end of the day so I don't see what the point is about complaining about Crpgs. They can never be as varied as pnp.

Huh? Then go take on vampires in melee without level-drain protection, go fight constructs without enchant weapon buffs at lower leves, go tackle a dragon fight without preparing properply, go fight drows without preparing Lower Resistance in a spelltrigger, go fight the beholders in Underdark just debuffing and tanking, etc ad infinitum.

In contrast I can tackle every single encounter in Dragon Age with the same use of the same abilities and the same tactic. Every. Single. Time.

Dragons deviate in that the tactic is hit&heal, move your mage, rince and repeat.

What you state is simply not true. Either you're very forgetful or we're playing different copies.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Vault Dweller said:
However, I'd LOVE to actually read some arguments and learn from such enlightened folks. What I'm getting tired of reading is the usual "i hate!" crap. It's your fucking right to hate whatever the fuck you want, but can you do everyone a favor and explain why you hate it so fucking much and maybe we'd join you and hate shit together. Won't that be something?

I'll tell you why the encounter design and the combat in general is better in BG2. (I don't hate DA, I think it even excels in quite some areas, but not in combat)

"Challenging, tactical combat" :

1) Challenging: I played on hard, now on nightmare and I can assure you there is no challenge to speak of in DA - if you don't count the challenge of crafting potions, mid-combat if need be . Every single lich (at least if you actually fight them and don't resort to cheese) in BG2 poses a bigger threat to the party than even the archdemon in DA. And not only is drinking potions the pinnacle of tactics to overcome the challenges in DA - no, most often it is the only thing that works at all.
You think you can face Demogorgon in BG2 armed with no plan, unprepared, without the right spells memorized, but in possesion of 50 healing potions and prevail?

2) tactical:
That means you should have options, many options and different approaches to win specific encounters. Not only lacks DA the options - even worse it doesn't even require them, using the exact same approach for every encounter wins you the game easily.
As soon as you fight some boss most spells will be resisted anyway, except a few like cone of cold. Others that have a slight chance to hit like glyph of paralyzation have a supershort duration suddenly, like 3 sec. Force cage hits reliably but has also shortened duration. What are you gonna do? Winning the fight by utilizing healing until you slowly mowed the boss down. Are there other options? No. Is this the pinnacle of applied tactical combat? I doubt it.

You can never change your spell selection and are doomed to use the same spells and spell combos forever. In BG2 you can use a multitude of different tactics to win an encounter in the most efficient way. (need examples?) I remember a lot of situations where things really got complicated, like having stumbled into the astral prison without a +3 weapon (for the golems). Or fighting the cowled wizards that come after you (don't pay for the licence) if you cast spells in Athkatla. Every group is stronger then the previous one. The first time I beat the Ascension fight I needed like 15h to finally prevail without casualties. There are no such challenging fights in DA, not a single one, and I don't regard keeping an eye on the healthbar as difficult.
Then there is the manabased casting. Manabased casting imo often suffers from either of these 2 conditions: 1) mages can only cast like 2-3 spells and then are useless and have to enter combat as some sort of weak fighter (Drakensang) or 2) Mages are overpowered because they have infinite mana supply (DA) Can't say I like that. And I can't say I think it adds to the challenge.

The only combat related thing I prefer in DA is the fact that rogues and especially warriors are more interesting to play than in DnD CRPGs. That's an improvement.
However every encounter in DA basically has you do the same thing. I'm pretty sure the inflexibility of the spellsystem is to blame, because you couldn't do things differently even if you wanted to. In BG2 you can handle things differently (and no Grifthin, "Well in Buldurs gate 2 every battle went exactly the same way" is pure nonsense, you wouldn't even be able to win certain difficult fights that way)

- you enter Firkraags dungeon
- a couple of Orcs, no matter
- vampiric mists, you use someone protected from leveldrain and Azuredge or Mace of Disruption
- next level, orcs shoot at you from both sides, doors are hidden, you cast invis on the party, then have a thief detect and open the doors, have a fighter deal with the orcs
- you meet some golems, you use someone who can take a beating, Haerdalis or a fighter/mage with access to mirror image, use a scroll of protection from poison vs the poison cloud of the adamantine golem
- next room, weak orcs, kill them or not
- next room powerful undead, if you're high enough level it will be like 15 ancient vampires, a real threat. you hide your party and use someone with the amulett of power, or turn them, or sunray
- many doors with genies behind them, you use a mage with true sight and protection from fire, kill them with chromatic orb
- a room with an elder orb, you're buffed? antimagic ray will debuff you at once and make casting impossible, you use someone with rage to hit hard and ignore most effects of the rays, or you use someone with high MR
- you find treasure, another adventuring party attacks, you retreat your party and have your mage unleash 2x sunfire amidst them, or skull traps while under the effect of protection from magical energy
- you move forward, werewolfs, fighters chop them up
- next room more golems
- more werewolves or wolfweres and then more golemns
- you dispose of the underlings of firkraag nothing special here
- you enter next level and talk to the Dragon then you have to defeat a high level wizard
- you go back to kill the dragon, certainly a special approach is warranted here? You make everyone immune to fire with potions/scrolls, you cast remove fear, you have the melee attack him, while the mages cast 2x lower resistance (yes in Bg2 you can actally remove the boss-resistances with the right spells), a cleric casts doom, a mage cast malison, and then you try to kill him with Chromatic Orb or FoD

I daresay you can and should use varying tactics in BG2. Compare that to room after room after room of identical foes (3 archers, 3 melee, 1 mage, numbers may vary) in the temple in DA.

edit: forgot the elder orb

Larger party size in BG2 made a difference, complete with the 2nd edititon uberlist of classes and multiple ways of combining them (dual-classing might have sucked as a PnP concept, but it was awesome for crpgs where you could use a mix of pure class and dual class characters to balance mid-game survivability (the pure classes would need to carry the party in the mid-game, while the dual-classes were gimped single-class characters, whilst lategame the dual-class characters rocked with the same level as single-class plus their secondary class benefits).

But the number of class combos and party makeups meant that you could play the game in many different ways other than how you described. Basically, you described the BG2 'vanilla' run - the way to go from start to finish with a fairly balanced party. 2 tanks, an off-tank (maybe combined with some mage or cleric ability, through multi/dual or through ranger), a thief and 2 casters. Personally I preferred to have one or two 'swing-men' (what we call 'short forwards' in basketball in Australia - in basketball it means they can swing from off-guard to forward depending on the play and the matchup) - guys that could swing from backup caster to ranged to mage-armoured-blurred-offtank if needed (which is why I loved 2nd edition - in 3rd I use bards for the same purpose, but it isn't quite the same).

But what gave BG2 so much replayability (for some people - yes, I recognise that if you loathed the basic game, then this isn't going to fix it) was the sheer variety of party makeups you could use. Try soloing the game and see how much the tactics vary from what you've described. Or go a 6 caster party. It's possible: Imoen handles thieving once you get her, the other mage/thief before then (yes she sucks as a thief, but with a few knock and disarm trap spells you'll survive - Imoen, however, is dual-classed at just the right point to have her handle traps and locks duty without gimping her casting), Jan, Anomen, Viconia and a caster PC will all get on ok, Anomen as a weak but buffable tank - subsitute any of those with the wingless elf if you can handle her dialogue.

Or go a no-tank party, using summons as a meatshield. Or a high-stealth party (unfortunately you can't get an all-stealth party, though use of mass-invis does the trick).

Your tactics will differ.

And again that leads to my biggest beef with DA:O, and the KoTOR games before them. You just can't get the same replayability and combat tactics with that small a party.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^what they said.

Grifthin said:
See line 4.

1) Line 4 does not apply to all combat - I make a case for this in my above post.

2) When it does, there is far more variety and the question of which buffs to use and which not to use than in DA. In DA, there is none, actually. Do go fight a Beholder with Death Ward and Mind Blank only. I'll be standig right here, laughing, while you die.

3) One-liners are for dickheads or for responding to dickheads. I hope you're not implying something ;)

Also, I'd like to hightlight this, because it's true:

- vampiric mists, you use someone protected from leveldrain and Azuredge or Mace of Disruption
- next level, orcs shoot at you from both sides, doors are hidden, you cast invis on the party, then have a thief detect and open the doors, have a fighter deal with the orcs
- you meet some golems, you use someone you can take a beating, Haerdalis or a fighter/mage with access to mirror image, use a scroll of protection from poison vs the poison cloud of the adamantine golem
- next room powerful undead, if you're high enough level it will be like 15 ancient vampires, a real threat. you hide your party and use someone with the amulett of power, or turn them, or sunray
- many doors with genies behind them, you use a mage with true sight and protection from fire, kill them with chromatic orb
- you find treasure, another adventuring party attacks, you retreat you party and have your mage unleash 2x sunfire amidst them, or skull traps while under the effect of protection from magical energy
- next room more golems
- you enter next level and talk to the Dragon then you have to defeat a high level wizard
- you go back to kill the dragon, certainly a special approach is warranted here? You make everyone immune to fire with potions/scrolls, you cast remove fear, you have the melee attack him, while the mages cast 2x lower resistance (yes in Bg2 you can actally remove the boss-resistances with the right spells), a cleric casts doom, a mage cast malison, and then you try to kill him with Chromatic Orb or FoD

You have an extremely weak case here, VD and Grifthin. I like Dragon Age, but the views you're presenting are so devoid of criticism you'd think the game should take the "best game evar"-title.

Tycn

Savant
Grifthin said:
Well in Buldurs gate 2 every battle went exactly the same way.
Party had tanks, casters, support.
So usually Rogue/Fighter/Paladin/Cleric/Wizard/Wizard.
Party gets buffed preferably with mindblank/death wards etc.
Fighters fight, wizards debuff enemy, Rogue uses bow, Cleric heals. There was no need to change tactics. Every single fight could be solved in that way. Half the Time to rogue was useless (no backstab against undead/constructs/etc) so was only good out of combat. This was fine. The fighter was the biggest money sink due to trying to get his THAC0 to something decent. The Cleric pretty much didn't care about equip other than some decent armor and the wizards didn't need shit to be effective. Anything from Golems to Dragons to humanoids could be solved in exactly the same way.

So baldurs gate 2 had a larger variety of enemies, but the battles boiled down to the same thing at the end of the day even though there was a variety of enemies they all died pretty much the same. But then again all RPG's boil down to that at the end of the day so I don't see what the point is about complaining about Crpgs. They can never be as varied as pnp.

Most encounters in DA:
AoE debuffs on two dozen thugs/orcs/wolves
AoEs on two dozen thugs/orcs/wolves
Melee chopchop down two dozen thugs/orcs/wolves

There's also boss encounters, which add additional layer of strategy (single target debuff on most powerful enemy).

Clearly superior.

Also, fighters as money sink? Most of the best weapons are found. Whereas in DA - you take out an uber tank to be rewarded with two gold and a DEEP MUSHROOM.

Grifthin

Educated
Grunker said:
Grifthin said:
See line 4.

1) Line 4 does not apply to all combat - I make a case for this in my above post.

2) When it does, there is far more variety and the question of which buffs to use and which not to use than in DA. In DA, there is none, actually. Do go fight a Beholder with Death Ward and Mind Blank only. I'll be standig right here, laughing, while you die.

3) One-liners are for dickheads or for responding to dickheads. I hope you're not implying something ;)

Also, I'd like to hightlight this, because it's true:

- you meet some golems, you use someone you can take a beating, Haerdalis or a fighter/mage with access to mirror image, use a scroll of protection from poison vs the poison cloud of the adamantine golem
- you find treasure, another adventuring party attacks, you retreat you party and have your mage unleash 2x sunfire amidst them, or skull traps while under the effect of protection from magical energy
- next room more golems

@ Grunker No, I'm just pressed for time at the moment (fucking hate xmas season. Bloody customers). I said mindblank/deathward etc. There's obviously a massive amount of different buffs available. Hence with the cleric, you get all the spells.

Put it this way. In dragon age I get curse of mortality cast on my fighter. He can't heal and slowly loses health till he dies. One way to stop this is dispel magic/cleans.

In BG I get nailed with level drain by shadows - Cleric casts restoration. (is that right spelll ? I can't remember anymore) Both are really the same thing at the end of the day. Status effect that gets removed by spell.

AS for that wall of text - the party I listed originally literally tore through there the same way. Party balance being the key - paladin immune to fear, dragon slaying varient, Cleric for undead/healing/buffing, Wizards for Debuffs/spells. While you could use the solutions presented in that quote (sneaking with thief, amulet of turning etc) - you could just bull your way through. I like equipment independant parties and parties that have no need of npc services. It's just my style of playing so replays tend to be the same or use similiar configurations (with different equivelants).

I'm not saying they where exactly the same (your right about the buffs my bad, I see the sustained abilities as the same) - but at the end of the day and crpg comes down to the same tactics. Hence why I play a crpg I get some good voice acting, entertaining story, enjoyable gameplay. When I want mindblowing story/combat I play pnp. So instead of saying every game is shit (I'm not saying your hating for no reason), I take what I can from pc games and enjoy what I can.

@ the rest of you - Fighters are a money sink because they are equipment dependant. A fighter cant do anything later on without the proper equipment. Everything from boots of haste, rings/amulets of protection/awesome sword etc. A wizard/cleric/druid can still contribute greatly without gear. A fighter is rightly stuffed though. My money in BG always got spent on equipment for the fighters.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Vault Dweller said:
Hamster said:
Combat system is better,yes, but combat system is nothing without good encouter design, which is pretty bad in DA and makes combat as a whole very tiresome and boring, unlike BG2.
It's been awhile so I don't really remember what was so awesome about BG design encounter? I really want to know.
I don't think that i can add much after excellent posts by VentilatorOfDoom, Azrael the cat and Dajaaj, but still:

1.Better balance between hard and easy encounters. Well, "hard" is probably not a proper word for it, encounters in DA are not hard, they just requre caution, micro-management and use of magic . Normally that would be a good thing and i was happy
with it until certain point in the game. But when it happens in each room of a multi-level dungeon it is too much, it becomes tedious and boring(especially combined with point 2).
In BG2 most encounters were easy, you could just enter the room with your fighters and chop the mobs, while harder encounters only happened from time to time. That way you have both plenty of hard, interesting encounters and clearing dungeons is not so
boring as in DA. Also, that way fighters recieve more attention, while in DA all your attention is focused on rogues and mages.

2. More variety . Point 1 doesn't sound that bad on it's own, but combined with lack of variety it becomes the serious flaw it is in DA. The number of different mobs in BG2 is much bigger, all the Kuo-toas, othyugs, beholders, drows, salaghunians, etc., it is already a good thing. What is more important is that they have different special abilities that require different tactics to beat them. Clay golems, for example, they had immunity even to magic weapons, i was forced to summon fire elementals to deal with them or cast that lame spell, that creates throwing meteors i never used before. Vampires that drain levels. Trolls that have to be killed with fire or acid. Basilisk, that turns you to stone with one hit(that was from BG1, but what an awesome monster). All those monsters have their lore implemented in game mechanics. Where is all this in DA?

3. Better boss fights. Bosses in DA have huge ammount of HP, ability to stun or repulse you and summon minions. You have to bash them for half an hour while drinking health potions. It a very lazy design compared to bosses from BG2.

4.More variety in magic system. I think some of the other posters already commented on this. Mages in DA just don't have the same ammount of interesting spell they had in BG2. Summoning elementals, time stop, invisibility, various defensive spell, spells that breach enemy's spellcaster defenses, etc.

5. Better locations and loot. Not exactly part of combat, but it is the environment that combat takes place in. Dungeons in BG2 had beatifull 2d backgrounds, rooms that actually serve some purpose , various interesting elements.
And loot. I think it's obvious, when i spend so much time clearing the dungeons, i want something better than two mushrooms and a pair of gloves.

made

Arcane
Hamster said:
4.More variety in magic system. I think some of the other posters already commented on this. Mages in DA just don't have the same ammount of interesting spell they had in BG2. Summoning elementals, time stop, invisibility, various defensive spell, spells that breach enemy's spellcaster defenses, etc.

Hate to play devil's advocate here, but most of the wizard spells went unused at least in my games. The fact that you had to prepare them ahead of time, without knowing what you will actually need, led me to rely mostly on basic stuff like fireballs etc.

DA's limited spell selection would be fine if all spells were equally useful, but they are not. Once you realize which spells/combos are OP you have little incentive to use anything else. Then you find the game too easy and boring because all you do is spam the same stuff over and over, and since you can't respec without an addon, you can't even experiment with different builds. That's what I consider bad design.

hiver

Hate to play devil's advocate here, but most of the wizard spells went unused at least in my games. The fact that you had to prepare them ahead of time, without knowing what you will actually need, led me to rely mostly on basic stuff like fireballs etc.
:lol:

I seriously suggest further investigation of other spells. Fireballs are hardly useful in real fights in BG2. And there is so much more to play with depending on what kind of characters you take with you. If i fired off any it would be just to start things up.
Or to clear groups of weaker enemies that are otherwise pesky.

made

Arcane
I remember two fights from IE games that required a different approach: that optional lich in BG2 and a dragon in IWD (not sure if that was pt 1 or 2). I never played on hardcore rules though because FF pissed me off and got in the way and getting over with the combat asap, so maybe I missed the whole tactical part.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I didn't play with hardcore rules, but if I remember right even on normal difficulty, spells in BG2 do inflict friendly fire. Except for some higher level spells like Horrid Wilting, Comet, and Dragon's Breath.

I'm one of those people who didn't think combat in BG2 was even that complicated--though I do agree it's more complicated and more challenging than DA--but even then there were a lot of spells I utilized regularly. Breach, Lower Resistance, Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Khelben's Warding Whip, Death Cloud, Death Spell, spamming the non-FF AOE listed above, Delayed Blast Fireball, Timestop, and Alacrity.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
VD clearly said he doesn't remember how BG2 was in terms of combat but still DA is better because.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
FeelTheRads said:
VD clearly said he doesn't remember how BG2 was in terms of combat but still DA is better because.

Vault Dweller said:
It's been awhile so I don't really remember what was so awesome about BG design encounter?

Reading compehension is teh hard?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Demnogonis Saastuttaja said:
Are the direct damage spells even useful in BG2? I thought it's not good to use a spell slot for something the fighters can do without.

Well, yeah, if you creep forward a bit and exploit the fog of war. This requires that you know beforehand where the enemies are, so I did it often on replays. (I replayed BG2 a lot, so give me a break.)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I seem to understand very well. You don't remember why it was so awesome. Not many say it was awesome, but many say it was better than DA.

Ventilator gave very good examples. Do they bring back any memories?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The difficulty has quite big implications in Baldur's Gate, so those of you who played on normal may have missed some of the tactics. Normal include, among other things:

- Less friendly fire

- Maximum HP on level up

- Less HP for monsters

- Lowered monster resistances

- Spellcasters use less spellprotection (Spellwards, etc.) and are unlikely to have good contagions.

Core rules doesn't have any of the above.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Made a subtle change to the topic title for great justice :smug:

Also, while I didn't remeber all those details about BG2's encounters (gotta replay that thing after finishing DA), I do remember that it had much less filler and more variety. Less of the "gigantic drawn-out dungeon with 3 floors all filled with the same enemies all over again" and more of the "one big map with different rooms filled with different enemies that require different approaches". I still remember my first time in the D'Arnise Keep, fighting a troll and wondering why it doesn't die, then realizing I need fire or acid and scrolling through Aerie's memorized spells, hoping I got one to kill the thing. Good times.

That's what I think DA is missing. Specialized enemies that have certain strengths and certain weaknesses. Currently it's mostly trash mobs containing a bunch of warriors, a few archers and a mage. As I said previously, some fights are really well-designed like the one in the dragon cave below the temple of the Sacred Ashes, but 90% of encounters consist of a standard warriors+archers+mages mix, and even if there is some kind of elite monster among them they hardly have any specialites like BG2's beholders, trolls, illithids...

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lesifoere said:
Do you deliberately miss the point or are you genuinely that obtuse? Hint: all the things I've listed talk to you, i.e. they're more than boring cannon fodder to mow through. The dryads give you a quest...
Oh my! A fetch it quest! If I was a woman I would be wet right now, dripping with excitement and reinstalling the game.

...the genie in the pocket plane gives you a quest; the other genie gives you that silly test and summons an ogre, etc etc.
I'd file it under "trivial, meaningless shit", but I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

Ooh, I'm told. Let me pinch your cheeks. Puberty is something people are supposed to outgrow, you know.
No, you weren't "told", my dear girl. I merely commented on your statement that Imoen's mumblings and Jaheira's hysterics (which can only appeal to very impressionable teenage girls) were somehow a good thing. How old were you when you played BG2?

Cute. Athkatla isn't the only thing that makes BG2 good. Pretty much every single side-area--Trademeet and all--has DA's main-quest areas beat, if only by virtue of not forcing you into yet another way-too-long dungeon stuffed to the brim with idiotic quantities of trash mobs.
If you say so.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Does the fact that you neglect to respond to the more serious arguments in this thread imply that you agree, VD?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I'll reply to his post in a few min.

OK. Let's hope the reply isn't "that's subjective" as you often replied when someone contradicted one of your "but DA is awesome because" arguments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom