Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but derp roads killed it..

Lonewolf

Novice
My god I am playing through Baldurs Gate again into BG 2 then some IWD and IWD2 and finally Planescape because after playing DAO I need to have my faith in RPG's restored

I really enjoyed DAO, the combat had me worried but I persisted and got all the races but the dwarves on board and reached the final dwarven deep roads

MY GOD can it get anymore reptitive mind numbingly boring!

So I bailed...I haven't got back to it yet because I can't bear the thought of another mind numbingly boring encountered with a group of stationary dark spawn who are just waiting for my to walk over the invisible trip wire which suddenly makes them aware of my prescence. No dialogue, no just wave after wave after wave of shitty enemies

What makes it even more annoying is as a mage its just earthquake, fire storm, ice storm and electricity storm and most of them are dead, then rinse and repeat

Just to compare, I am currently playing through Baldurs Gate and have reached the Shadow Druids part and I am encountering the odd trash mobs but I am mainly encountering arch druids and even a spider queen, and more random NPC's, and wyverns, each with a interesting story or dialogue of quips and insults

Its just a shame that graphics win over content these days where development houses spend sooooo much time trying to perfect the graphics that they lose sight of what really made the old infinity engine games interesting. If they weren't so gun ho and putting in voiced dialogue for EVERYONE they could have introduced SOOOO much more chat and quests etc etc would have expanded the game TEN FOLD

Dragon Age Origins REAKS of console shite, long gone are the complicated PC games, it seems the consoles will slowly consume the gaming world with their generic boring crap

Might I add the magic system is bloody appalling the spells are SOOOO boring! Christ even Agammons(sp?) Scorcher in Baldurs Gate has more interesting mechanics than most of the bloody spells in DAO

Christ I feel sick even typing this, thought I would be the last person to bash DAO

Norfleet

I, for one, am thankful to be facing enemies that do NOT attempt to forcibly interrupt my blowing them to bits with forced dialog that teleports my party straight into the center of their mob, and simply allows me to blow them to smthereens and get on with it. I HATE THAT SO MUCH. I ask you, how many times have they ever had anything useful to say besides the usual blustering, pointless threats, and idiotic posturing? That's the one thing I missed about TOEE, really: You could choose to talk or not, or you could just alpha-strike them.

Lonewolf

Novice
Norfleet said:
forced dialog that teleports my party straight into the center of their mob

Dialogue fleshes out a storyline. A storyline enhances roleplaying, which in turn makes for an improved roleplaying game

Shit did I step into First Person Shooter Codex or something...fuck!

Dnny

Educated
Deep shit did it to me too. I'll complete DA later but now I feel the need to play an oldie and goodie, which, for me, will be to either replay Fallout or Arcanum for the 300th time.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Dragon Age Origins REAKS of console shite, long gone are the complicated PC games, it seems the consoles will slowly consume the gaming world with their generic boring crap"

DA is a lot more complex, and deeper than the Bg series both in combat and non combat situations.

DA > BG2

kris

Arcane
Lonewolf said:
Norfleet said:
forced dialog that teleports my party straight into the center of their mob

Dialogue fleshes out a storyline. A storyline enhances roleplaying, which in turn makes for an improved roleplaying game

Shit did I step into First Person Shooter Codex or something...fuck!

Thats not what he talked about. DA have enough of these things to begin with, usually boss fights. You can't position your characters, while your opponents are optimally positioned to beat on you.

Personally I think the tilt to combat is wrong, there is to much of it, but I fully agree with Norfleet on this one.

Clearly deep roads was just what I expected. I mean you go into a place filled with mindless creatures.. well what to expect? I am more disappointed that a place like Denerim have just so many quests that is about killing off people. I haven't checked, but I believe the darkspawn killing warden that was me actually killed loads more humans than darkspawn, I think there is something seriously wrong with that. (note, didn't check my stats after the final battle in which I wasted loads of darkspawn)

Derper

Prophet
Re: Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but deep roads killed

Lonewolf said:
...IWD and IWD2... ...I need to have my faith in RPG's restored... ...MY GOD can it get anymore reptitive mind numbingly boring!
:roll:

Dnny

Educated
This is stupid. BG2 had lots of varied fights with monsters that had different type of immunities (to magical weapons, to normal weapons, to elements or magic itself), with lots of different abilities that could fuck you up (illithid mind fuck, beholders rays) while DA is pretty much the same fucking MMO shit from beginning to end.
Just as an example, a wizard can't even hope to have a spell working against a dragon in BG2 unless he knows he has to use the "lower spell resistance" spell while there is no such a thing in DA. In BG2 dragons can cast stuff like stoneskin and wizards can make themselves useful by using the "breach" spell that will destroy the buff.

Powerful liches alone like Kangaxx makes BG2 far superior to DA in the variety of combat it gives.

In DA whether you fight a human, a darkspawn or some undead shit doesn't change anything, there is only three basic enemy archetype, the fighter, the rogue and the mage. THEY EVEN DID DARKSPAWNS THAT BEHAVE LIKE ROGUE ASSASSINS FOR FUCK SAKE.

Lonewolf

Novice

Derper said:
Lonewolf said:
...IWD and IWD2... ...I need to have my faith in RPG's restored... ...MY GOD can it get anymore reptitive mind numbingly boring!
:roll:

Thats actually a fair point, but at least the magic in IWD is bit more deep and fantastical feeling

I managed to get to the top fire/ice and earth spells in such a short space of time in DAO that they lost their immense feeling

Dnny

Educated
Many of the "top" spells are frakking useless in DA and you can get them so early it's not funny. Like in MMO spells change in power based on your skills instead of having their own fixed range of damages so having the top spells early doesn't really make you uber either.

You never get a sense of character progression in DA because of that, between the level scaled enemies and the top spells and shit you get early the only thing that changes is the quantity of damages you can deal, slowly, by upping your stats, which is nulled because of scaling so the only thing that truly changes is the number that shows up when you deal damages, big deal.

Norfleet said:
I, for one, am thankful to be facing enemies that do NOT attempt to forcibly interrupt my blowing them to bits with forced dialog that teleports my party straight into the center of their mob, and simply allows me to blow them to smthereens and get on with it. I HATE THAT SO MUCH. I ask you, how many times have they ever had anything useful to say besides the usual blustering, pointless threats, and idiotic posturing? That's the one thing I missed about TOEE, really: You could choose to talk or not, or you could just alpha-strike them.

In the unlikely event that I ever get to design a video game rpg, I will specifically give a moderately important boss (i.e. one that warrants several appearances) a special spell that has the effect of mesmerising his opponents through speech, allowing his allies to gain a massive tactical advantage by manuevering around, and use it in a similar manner 'Bwahaha, I am the evil lord of ....[Player response] I will defeat you and your....oh fuck I've fallen for it again haven't I'.

Derper

Prophet
Is the initial reception of DA cooling down? Maybe the flaws show themselves after a further exploration? Or is it just nitpicking? I'm confused...

Lonewolf

Novice
Well if it validates my opinion anymore, I was jizzing all over the place for Dragon Age when I first played it, and spent my time spitting poison at anyone who criticised it

So yes, I suppose people are playing it and have a more constructive view about what its really like

The level scaling mobs makes me want to fall to my knees and cry

Grifthin

Educated
Somewhat - for some people a interesting Bestiary make the game. The rabid fan bois will most likely recede somewhat. Those of us who enjoyed the game despite it's flaws will carry on liking it. The codexers who hate it will carry on hating it. And then we will wait for the next game to bash/enjoy. It's the great codex circle of life.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
I don't think it's necessarily that the dungeon design that is particularly bad, certainly not if it had been used more sparingly, but the fact that all four of the alliances require a long dungeon, coupled with the way the game is structured to make it likely that you'll do all four in quick succession. I really think that the mage's tower and the deep roads would have been enough; with the elves' and redcliffe's support being gained through something, anything that didn't involve yomping through corridors and massacring hordes of endless, repetitive, faceless henchmen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Just as an example, a wizard can't even hope to have a spell working against a dragon in BG2 unless he knows he has to use the "lower spell resistance" spell"

Bullshit.

DA is more complex, deeper, and just all around vastly superior than that shit known as BG2.

Seriosuly, people actually use Minsc as the prove of BG2's depth? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE FFS!

DA > BG2

There is NO BG2 quest/solution that even comes close to situations like the dwarf poltico, the elf-werewolve situation, and other stuff..

FUCK BG2 AND ALL ITS FUCKIN' NEWFOUND FANBOYS! FUCK IT TO DEATH

Derper

Prophet
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
Volly is all I ever wanted, my arms are open wide

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Volourn said:
"Just as an example, a wizard can't even hope to have a spell working against a dragon in BG2 unless he knows he has to use the "lower spell resistance" spell"

Bullshit.

DA is more complex, deeper, and just all around vastly superior than that shit known as BG2.

Seriosuly, people actually use Minsc as the prove of BG2's depth? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE FFS!

DA > BG2

There is NO BG2 quest/solution that even comes close to situations like the dwarf poltico, the elf-werewolve situation, and other stuff..

FUCK BG2 AND ALL ITS FUCKIN' NEWFOUND FANBOYS! FUCK IT TO DEATH

Bullshit. Moran. etc.

Anyway I too almost lost it after reaching Deep Shit. Unending wave of identical mobs in unending tunnels. Almost no unique loot or encounters, just trash enemies en masse. Definitely the worst part of the game. And the reason why the end of the game was so much more appealing to me.

Ch1ef

Scholar

Lonewolf said:
My god I am playing through Baldurs Gate again into BG 2 then some IWD and IWD2 and finally Planescape because after playing DAO I need to have my faith in RPG's restored

I really enjoyed DAO, the combat had me worried but I persisted and got all the races but the dwarves on board and reached the final dwarven deep roads

MY GOD can it get anymore reptitive mind numbingly boring!

So I bailed...I haven't got back to it yet because I can't bear the thought of another mind numbingly boring encountered with a group of stationary dark spawn who are just waiting for my to walk over the invisible trip wire which suddenly makes them aware of my prescence. No dialogue, no just wave after wave after wave of shitty enemies

What makes it even more annoying is as a mage its just earthquake, fire storm, ice storm and electricity storm and most of them are dead, then rinse and repeat

Just to compare, I am currently playing through Baldurs Gate and have reached the Shadow Druids part and I am encountering the odd trash mobs but I am mainly encountering arch druids and even a spider queen, and more random NPC's, and wyverns, each with a interesting story or dialogue of quips and insults

Its just a shame that graphics win over content these days where development houses spend sooooo much time trying to perfect the graphics that they lose sight of what really made the old infinity engine games interesting. If they weren't so gun ho and putting in voiced dialogue for EVERYONE they could have introduced SOOOO much more chat and quests etc etc would have expanded the game TEN FOLD

Dragon Age Origins REAKS of console shite, long gone are the complicated PC games, it seems the consoles will slowly consume the gaming world with their generic boring crap

Might I add the magic system is bloody appalling the spells are SOOOO boring! Christ even Agammons(sp?) Scorcher in Baldurs Gate has more interesting mechanics than most of the bloody spells in DAO

Christ I feel sick even typing this, thought I would be the last person to bash DAO
HAHAHA GET A LIFE

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually like the combat system itself. It's fun. I like the fighter abilities. But yeah, wizards have far too few spells and the D&D spell system is a lot better. I still enjoy the combat and don't mind some of the longer parts, but the filler *really* becomes obvious after a while. It's like NWN2 all over again, only that NWN2 was even more tedious for me because I didn't really like the combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom