Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but derp roads killed it..

kris

Arcane
Lonewolf said:
Well if it validates my opinion anymore, I was jizzing all over the place for Dragon Age when I first played it, and spent my time spitting poison at anyone who criticised it

I never changed opion about it really. Had a bit more combat than I expected, but the last part of the game was better than I expected. also it had a nice epilogue.

Texas Red

Whiner
Derper said:
Is the initial reception of DA cooling down? Maybe the flaws show themselves after a further exploration? Or is it just nitpicking? I'm confused...

The game itself is good but the Dwarf Caves destroy any interest that you might have had. It's basically the same as the dungeons in Bloodlines.

Ch1ef

Scholar
COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT COMBAT

RPG(haha)Codex General RPG(haha) discussion.
I hate you, guyz ^_^

Lonewolf

Novice
I don't hate it...I suppose the feeling is disappointment

Maybe I should play it over as a fighter, the mage spells are just shite

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Play as a fighter and you will soon discover you have even fewer options than a mage, bringing the game's dullness to a whole new level. At least with big AOEs, combat's over quicker.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Volourn said:
"Just as an example, a wizard can't even hope to have a spell working against a dragon in BG2 unless he knows he has to use the "lower spell resistance" spell"

Bullshit.

No. Replace "can't even hope" by "has a very slim chance" and that's as close to the truth as it gets. Far from bullshit.

Volourn said:
DA is more complex, deeper, and just all around vastly superior than that shit known as BG2.

This, on the other hand...

Project: Eternity
In what game though was playing a fighter really fun? You end up slicing at shit with your sword, and then you slice them AGAIN. Magic just offers so many more options, always.

Project: Eternity
Magic =
unicorn-rainbow.jpg

FIGHTAN =
tnbm_cover.jpg

Freelance Henchman said:
In what game though was playing a fighter really fun? You end up slicing at shit with your sword, and then you slice them AGAIN. Magic just offers so many more options, always.

Fighting can be seriously brilliant with the right mechanics implemented. Trips, feints, shields breaking up, parries, ducking, dodging, jumping. Hardkore stuff really. Unfortunately, they don't implement these kinds of things in RPG's today, and only a few have ever done it on a computer in the distant past.

hiver

i think deep roads hit negatively on most players who are doing them as last of important areas.
While you get there youre already tired of too long dungeons and fighting similar fights too many times.

I also quit at the start of it, annoyed i couldnt even get into Deep Roads if i didnt start to meddle into succession thing.

If you go by some reasonable order of the dungeons you first hit the small one with darkstalkers / lizards. Second one has spiders fighting darkspawn and you, so not quite the same (with somewhyt difficult end fight against Spider Queen) , third - is where you open up next dungeon which has some dwarf ghosts and Golems (if i remember correctly) and there you can summon a demon and choose between fighting him or letting him go for a lot of cash.

Then you are in a big one where supposedly ill discover something about that fucking anvil etc.

They are varied and not exactly the same and do have some small sidequests of sorts but require a lot of patience on that point because of the previous too long dungeons, especially Mage tower from which you cannot escape once you start it - till you finish it.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
"Just as an example, a wizard can't even hope to have a spell working against a dragon in BG2 unless he knows he has to use the "lower spell resistance" spell"

Bullshit.

DA is more complex, deeper, and just all around vastly superior than that shit known as BG2.

Seriosuly, people actually use Minsc as the prove of BG2's depth? GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE FFS!

DA > BG2

There is NO BG2 quest/solution that even comes close to situations like the dwarf poltico, the elf-werewolve situation, and other stuff..

FUCK BG2 AND ALL ITS FUCKIN' NEWFOUND FANBOYS! FUCK IT TO DEATH

Lies bullshit moran

Book of Swords right?

Well that's pretty much spot on, it turned Fighters into weeaboo ninja samurai killing machines.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Replace "can't even hope" by "has a very slim chance" and that's as close to the truth as it gets. Far from bullshit."

Bullshit. Didn't need lower resistance to get spells to work on dragons in BG2. nice try, though, with spreading propaganda.

Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:
"Replace "can't even hope" by "has a very slim chance" and that's as close to the truth as it gets. Far from bullshit."

Bullshit. Didn't need lower resistance to get spells to work on dragons in BG2. nice try, though, with spreading propaganda.

Elaborate please, I can't seem to remember it working without it.

Balthamael

Liturgist
I think dragons had something like 50-70 percent MR. You could get it work without lower resistance I guess, but it would be much smarter to just cast the spell first. Certainly if your strategy relied on ending the battle on first round you had to cast it, or reload many times.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Re: Dragon Age....I hate to admit it, but deep roads killed

Derper said:
Lonewolf said:
...IWD and IWD2... ...I need to have my faith in RPG's restored... ...MY GOD can it get anymore reptitive mind numbingly boring!
:roll:

He talkin strategic combat and options and shit without lvl scales.

Freelance Henchman said:
Duh Virtua Fighter
virtua-fighter-5-ps3-4.jpg

bonch

Educated
I was liking Dragon Age for a while, but I stopped and wasn't able to motivate myself to continue because I was getting really bored with the combat. I feel like I'm micromanaging my party more than I would be if the game was turn-based, which is odd.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
bonch said:
I was liking Dragon Age for a while, but I stopped and wasn't able to motivate myself to continue because I was getting really bored with the combat. I feel like I'm micromanaging my party more than I would be if the game was turn-based, which is odd.

Could be worse. The 360 version is much harder because you cant micro-manage the way you want to. There is no click-to-move, there is no birds eye, and the pause sucks. I see why Voulourn is overrating the difficulty. Its much harder on the 360.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I feel like I'm micromanaging my party more than I would be if the game was turn-based, which is odd."

Oh the fuck! HORROR! You actually have to play the fuckin' game!

Codex whines about IE games 'playing themselves'.

Codex whines that DA makes you play the game.

WTF WTF WTF WTF

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Um, no.

Having to babysit your fighter that he shield-bases (or wtf cooldowns they have) as soon as possible is micro-managing and shit. <-- DA

Having to babysit your mage so that he uses the correct spell (out of several / dozens) depending on the situation (which has multiple modifiers) is tactics and cool. <-- IE

Of course, in ToEE and KotC it's a completely different ball-game.

Sure, you might be spamming magic missile for five times in a row - but that's your choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom