Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon age: How i hated it, then actually enjoyed it.

aleph

Arcane
JrK said:
So, how do you put off the AI? All I got was this lousy disabling of specific combat tactics, but the behaviours seem unavoidable.

You can switch AI off the Tactics Menu, right where it says "disable AI". You have to do it for every party member separetly though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
BROS SKYWAY IS RIGHT THIS GAME IS A PEACE OF SHIT HOW ABOUT YOU FUCKING GROW A PARE AND NOT SUCK IT DOWN LIKE ALL THE OTHER SHEEPLE??!?!!!

LOL I AM FUNNY AND FOR REAL MAN CUZ I LIKE ALL GAEMS NOT LIKE THIS STUPID CODEXERS WITH NO GIRLFRIENDS WHO PRETENTD TO BE GAEMERS. GAEMERS LIEK ALL GAMES. PFFT.. NO LIFE MORONS ILL GO FUKC MY HOT GF NOW BUT FIRST LET ME POST ANOTHER SMART REMARK ABOUT HOW CODEX SUCKS. OH MAYBE ONE MORE IN THAT NEW TOPIC THERE. FUCKING NO LIFE SHITHEADS IM BETTER THAN ALL OF THEM.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You're not very good at witty retorts, feeltherads.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
hal900x said:
Skyway is much more forgiving of strategy games than RPG's, I've noticed. I bet it's easier to make a good strategy game than it is a good RPG. Not that either one is particularly easy.

Mediocre strategy games still offer more gameplay-fun than mediocre story-focused RPGs with shit writing, so yeah.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"FACT: JE is a shitty game, BG2 is a great game."

dON'T LIE.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Volourn said:
"Combat is BETTER than clunky BGII in terms of feel and execution, a bit less so in terms of complexity and difficulty."

How the FUCK is BG2 combat more 'complex'?

That's bullshit analysis.

BG2 combat has more spells and abilities combined with more characters to use them with. That is in ADDITION to the abilities that enemies use. The two games are close, but BGII difficulty on the hardest level required a lot more thought than the hardest difficulty in DA.

Nightmare difficulty in Dragon Age is too easy. I never encountered a fight where I was in danger of losing.

Perhaps I'm breaking the game by having a dedicated healer (Morrigan specced to healing), because it seems like the game is balanced around the possibility that you will NOT have a healer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"BG2 combat has more spells and abilities combined with more characters to use them with. That is in ADDITION to the abilities that enemies use. The two games are close, but BGII difficulty on the hardest level required a lot more thought than the hardest difficulty in DA."

nO.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
thekdawg21 said:
Volourn said:
"Combat is BETTER than clunky BGII in terms of feel and execution, a bit less so in terms of complexity and difficulty."

BG2 combat has more spells and abilities combined with more characters to use them with.
Kinda. There are definitely a lot more spells. But pure melee characters don't have much. Granted they can multiclass, but still.

Elzair

Cipher
Okay, I do not understand how people could think that DA:O on Normal is a hands-free game. Whenever I just tried to let the AI go to town, I was quickly clobbered. I had to make sure they were all attacking the same guy and that they used health potions whenever their health got too low.

BTW what are some effective strategies for playing a human noble fighter with Morrigan, Leliana (I am thinking I should replace her with the dog) and that Paladin guy?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I do not understand how people could think that DA:O on Normal is a hands-free game.""

It's easy to understand. The people who claim that are *lying*.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
thekdawg21 said:
Volourn said:

BG2 combat has more spells and abilities combined with more characters to use them with. That is in ADDITION to the abilities that enemies use. The two games are close, but BGII difficulty on the hardest level required a lot more thought than the hardest difficulty in DA.

Nightmare difficulty in Dragon Age is too easy. I never encountered a fight where I was in danger of losing.

Perhaps I'm breaking the game by having a dedicated healer (Morrigan specced to healing), because it seems like the game is balanced around the possibility that you will NOT have a healer.

I don't know if you're breaking it with the healer but you're certainly doing something. Nightmare is really punishing for me but then again I'm not muchkinizing my party at all just going with what feels right. I've been wiped out time and time again and I know some other people here had the same experience even on hard.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I just started playing. I fought rats and after the battle I was covered in blood. Is there a way to get rid of the sprinkled in blood effect? It looks really silly.

The characters are terribly bland and the dialogue is a joke. But I guess most writing will appear that way as I am currently reading Raymond Feist books.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
Yes there is an option to turn off the persistent blood nonsense. The blood still splatters for a while though.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
There is a lot more character development for your party members later on. Any npc who gets more dialogue than usual.. you can count on them to die in the next scene. =p

Project: Eternity
My impression is that the difficulty in DA really really depends on the particular group you are fighting at the time. I've fought bosses on Hardcore and managed through it with one or two knocked out or even nobody knocked out, and then a little later I run into a bunch of unarmored peasants that swarm the group and everybody dies. I don't like to micromanage too much, so maybe that's it, but I've had real trouble dealing with even moderate swarms of pure meleers rather than some mixed group (I'm playing with a 2 mage/1 fighter/1 rogue archer group). They dish out too much damage and have too many HP to kill quickly was my impression, and the AOE stuns I have (mind blast, paralyze, force field, cold blast) don't last long enough to keep them away.

It's stil doable, but it can feel a bit frustrating when you get owned by the local drunks after killing a demon or something.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Freelance Henchman said:
My impression is that the difficulty in DA really really depends on the particular group you are fighting at the time. I've fought bosses on Hardcore and managed through it with one or two knocked out or even nobody knocked out, and then a little later I run into a bunch of unarmored peasants that swarm the group and everybody dies. I don't like to micromanage too much, so maybe that's it, but I've had real trouble dealing with even moderate swarms of pure meleers rather than some mixed group (I'm playing with a 2 mage/1 fighter/1 rogue archer group). They dish out too much damage and have too many HP to kill quickly was my impression, and the AOE stuns I have (mind blast, paralyze, force field, cold blast) don't last long enough to keep them away.

It's stil doable, but it can feel a bit frustrating when you get owned by the local drunks after killing a demon or something.
With two mages you can just chain cone of cold, the most OP spell in the game.

kris

Arcane
Stereotypical Villain said:
- Nightmare difficulty.
- No A.I.
- Top down view.

... and yet I'm not having any fun. Should I consult the nearest apothecary for aid or should I just have the inquisition purge me of my inner daemons in the name of the emperor?

I suggest you try another game from another developer. Or find another hobby if needed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom