Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon age: How i hated it, then actually enjoyed it.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
After watching the trailers and laughing my ass off at how horrible the game looked to be, i decided to just sit down and see how bad this game really was.

First try, i play a fighter. I kill a rat, my whole group is covered in blood.????
I then go and fight a few things.. all my people run off like madmen, things die easily. Zzzzz.

Decided this game REALLY does seem to suck.. but i don't give up so fast. So i decided to restart, play a mage, but with these settings:

Difficulty setting: Hard
Play style : Turn AI OFF. Scroll all the way back, top-down view style.

Wow.. huge difference. I was able to control my party exactly how i wanted to do it. The fights were more challenging.. i actually had to reload several fights a few times. With those settings, the game actually became enjoyable. It was no longer a brainless game where you watched the AI play itself out for you.

So yeah, if you want to enjoy dragon age, and you're a rpg old-school veteran, play it on hard setting, and play it top down view, with AI turned off. You might be suprised at how enjoyable the game is.

- Nightmare difficulty.
- No A.I.
- Top down view.

... and yet I'm not having any fun. Should I consult the nearest apothecary for aid or should I just have the inquisition purge me of my inner daemons in the name of the emperor?

Silellak

Cipher
Serious_Business said:
MetalCraze said:
And remember - if you died a few times in the game it is now challenging and fun.

Dude you post a whole fucking lot
He doesn't like when other people like things he doesn't care for. At least, that's the only explanation I can think of for his showing up in every single Dragon Age thread repeating the same uneducated nonsense.

CSIComic-Skyway1.jpg

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
He doesn't like when other people like things he doesn't care for. At least, that's the only explanation I can think of...

Doesn't care for? Everything is banal.boring.shit according to skyway. Ask him if he's even played it lol...

There is another reason of course.... troll. :roll:

Ch1ef

Scholar
Silellak said:
Serious_Business said:
MetalCraze said:
And remember - if you died a few times in the game it is now challenging and fun.

Dude you post a whole fucking lot
He doesn't like when other people like things he doesn't care for. At least, that's the only explanation I can think of for his showing up in every single Dragon Age thread repeating the same uneducated nonsense.

CSIComic-Skyway1.jpg
ZOMG 4CHAN FAGGOT BAN HIM NAO

Shoelip

Arbiter
Did comic skyway just put on two pairs of sunglasses? :?

Hey, he does like some things. Operation Flashpoint, and presumably from his old avatar Anachronox.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
turn off permanent blood spatter for better framerate and less "OMG LOOK AT HOW BLOODY AND MATURE WE ARE" factor.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
I personally feel it's the best Bioware game yet. Combat is BETTER than clunky BGII in terms of feel and execution, a bit less so in terms of complexity and difficulty.

If you are an RPG veteran, you best be playing on Nightmare level. Anything less is far too easy. Am I the only Codex lurker that started on Nightmare and played it all the way through? Pansies.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Combat is BETTER than clunky BGII in terms of feel and execution, a bit less so in terms of complexity and difficulty."

How the FUCK is BG2 combat more 'complex'?

That's bullshit analysis.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Volourn believes there's more role-playing in Jade Empire than in BG2.

True story.

DriacKin

Arbiter
FeelTheRads said:
Volourn believes there's more role-playing in Jade Empire than in BG2.

True story.

FACT: There is more C&C in Jade Empire than in BG2. That is undeniable.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SKYWAY IS RIGHT THIS GAME IS A PEACE OF SHIT HOW ABOUT YOU FUCKING GROW A PARE AND NOT SUCK IT DOWN LIKE ALL THE OTHER SHEEPLE??!?!!!

JrK

Prophet
So, how do you put off the AI? All I got was this lousy disabling of specific combat tactics, but the behaviours seem unavoidable.

Ch1ef said:
Isn't this fun ?

I love Dragon Age it makes me feel so good
I love Dragon Age it makes me feel so bad
When I play with it it makes me feel
Like Im the only guy in town
I love Dragon Age it makes me feel so good

Isnt this fun
Isnt this what lifes all about
Isnt this a dream come true
Isnt this a nightmare too

hal900x

Augur
Skyway is much more forgiving of strategy games than RPG's, I've noticed. I bet it's easier to make a good strategy game than it is a good RPG. Not that either one is particularly easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom