Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Age Given A Date

Morbus

Scholar
denizsi said:
Is their audience really so stupid to believe them?

I just had a brief discussion with some people on GameSpy forums. A few of them described how Oblivion fulfilled all of their expectations and lived up to the hype. So I'd say yes, they really are stupid. I don't know why I do it but sometimes, I convince myself that the perceived stupidity of such people is just a misperception, that it's their internet persona or whatever, but boy, they really are stupid. Not meant in a humiliating, demeaning, derogatory, self-pleasing way, but in a straight literal way. People are literally fucking morons who straight out fall for idiotic marketing speech, and be happy with the end product regardless of its quality.

As long as it's not really high quality.
Yeah, people are stupid.

The mere fact that we, the codex and co., actually DISCUSS game design is proof to our intellectual superiority. And this sounds stupid, but it's true. You go browse the mainstream forums, and only about 0.5% of TOPICS have a hint of discussion about game design in them. And funny thing is, when you come in and talk about it, people attack you because they don't understand, and they say you think you know everything.

Obviously, the only self-pleasing argument to give to those morons is "you have no idea what you're talking about, you don't even know how the designing process works".

And believe me when I tell you I got an answer to this sophistic argument that went like this "do you need to know how to make games to know if they are good or bad?"

WELL OF COURSE YOU DO YOU FUCKING MORON!

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Morbus said:
And believe me when I tell you I got an answer to this sophistic argument that went like this "do you need to know how to make games to know if they are good or bad?"

Well no, this is bullshit. Games are not designed for other game designers. Much like you don't need to know how to make movies to know if they're good or bad or how to write a book to know if they're good or bad YOU FUCKING MORON.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
However, if you understand the design process you can determine if a game will be good or bad without playing it.

If you don't understand how games are made you won't know if it's good or bad until you play it, at which point you've probably already parted with your money.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't get it so instead of releasing the game on PC now where there is barley any games coming out and people have time to play games they are going to releases it becaus it is "to awesome".
I CALL BULLSHIT!!!.

Screw this there is no way in hell i am paying for a game if they are not going to treat me like a valued customer.

I don't have money or time to play it in fucking OCTOBER!

Also i bet 2 internet that we will see the same kind of crappy UI retardations that we have seen in all the other Bioware games.

Texas Red

Whiner
The retarded money speak of having something negative be actually good, e.g. "We had to remove the dynamic shadows because they were too demanding", is fucking annoying. I hope Bioware falls on a cock and drowns.

Morbus

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
Morbus said:

Well no, this is bullshit. Games are not designed for other game designers.
*insert generic insult*

Knowing whether a game is good or bad is NOT the same as liking a game or not. Games are not designed for other game designers, of course not, but just because you like a game doesn't mean you think it's good. It doesn't even mean you have an opinion about its quality.

This general misconception that taste equal critical approach is so boring. Seriously. If you wanna criticize a game, if you wanna say "this game is good because" and "this game is bad because", then you HAVE to understand the process of making a game. If you don't, stick to the "I like this game because" and "I don't like this game because".

The Feral Kid said:
Much like you don't need to know how to make movies to know if they're good or bad or how to write a book to know if they're good or bad YOU FUCKING MORON.
No. You.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"actually DISCUSS game design is proof to our intellectual superiority."

Nonsense. That's bullshit. How can anyone on the Codex consider themselves intellectually superiod when they trahs games before release YET BUY THEM ANYWAYS. It's plain retarded to buy something you KNOW you are gonna hate.

"Screw this there is no way in hell i am paying for a game if they are not going to treat me like a valued customer."

How is a game being released cross platform at the same time devauing anyone as a customer? That's more Codexian retardation who are all about platform wars.

"but just because you like a game doesn't mean you think it's good."

Bullshit. Only a moron likes a game they believe is SOZZY. That's just plain dumb.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Morbus said:
If you wanna criticize a game, if you wanna say "this game is good because" and "this game is bad because", then you HAVE to understand the process of making a game.

And I'm saying again that you don't have to be even an untalented small-time designer like yourself to know why a game is good or bad, or what aspects of it worked well or bad. It all reveals itself in the gameplay experience. And besides being a fail as a designer you're also a pretentious pseudo-elitist who thinks that because someone isn't a developer he cannot comment or form an opinion on a game's quality. Also, bringing up something such as "you have no idea what you're talking about, you don't even know how the designing process works" to win an argument with the 15-year olds that frequent the gamespy forums is plain pathetic. Eat shit and die moron.

Volourn said:
How is a game being released cross platform at the same time devauing anyone as a customer? That's more Codexian retardation who are all about platform wars.

No. The game throughout its development cycle was promoted as PC exclusive and had a separate release date for the PC which was unrelated to the console-port/release. Suddenly they decide to merge the dates at the expense of the PC-release so that the console crybabies won't bitch about it coming to the PC first, and because favoring consoles is good business practice. Yes this is devaluing PC owners as customers. What you get next is CEOs acting stupid trying to justify it with "cataclysm of quality to be unleashed upon the world which requires simultaneous cross-platform release". It would have never happened the other way around. And you know it. It's ok Volourn, I would advise you for once to let your urge of defending big business interests and stupid decisions just go.

Morbus

Scholar
Volourn said:

Nonsense. That's bullshit. How can anyone on the Codex consider themselves intellectually superiod when they trahs games before release YET BUY THEM ANYWAYS. It's plain retarded to buy something you KNOW you are gonna hate.
Do you guys buy the games you trash here? :lol:

Yes, that is retarded. I myself only buy 3/4 games a year (new games, I mean), and only the ones that are made by people I feel have potential to make games i like, or games that I actually like.

Volourn said:
"but just because you like a game doesn't mean you think it's good."

Bullshit. Only a moron likes a game they believe is SOZZY. That's just plain dumb.
Arguing with Volourn.

By your line of thinking, the persons who haven't played videogames before, or don't know jack about it DON'T LIKE THE FIRST VIDEOGAMES THEY PLAY!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yes this is devaluing PC owners as customers"

No, it isn't. Don't be a crybaby. 'WAAA! They are releasing the game on different platforms at the same time. WAAA!"

"Do you guys buy the games you trash here? "

yes, the Codexers here do do that. FO3, JE, ME, OBlivion, and so on so forth were all games bashed relentlessly pre release eyt many Codexers were amongst the first to buy it.

Yet, the same Codexers wonder why game companies don't give a shit about their opinions. Their opinions mean shit 'cause their wallets do the talking.

"By your line of thinking, the persons who haven't played videogames before, or don't know jack about it DON'T LIKE THE FIRST VIDEOGAMES THEY PLAY!"

WTF? Your comment is retarded. It has nothing to do with what you quoted.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Volourn said:
No, it isn't. Don't be a crybaby. 'WAAA! They are releasing the game on all platforms at a later time. WAAA!"

Fixed.

Can you see the difference Volourn? No, of course you can't.

Morbus

Scholar
The Feral Kid said:
And I'm saying again that you don't have to be even an untalented small-time designer like yourself to know why a game is good or bad, or what aspects of it worked well or bad. It all reveals itself in the gameplay experience. And besides being a fail as a designer you're also a pretentious pseudo-elitist who thinks that because someone isn't a developer he cannot comment or form an opinion on a game's quality. Also, bringing up something such as "you have no idea what you're talking about, you don't even know how the designing process works" to win an argument with the 15-year olds that frequent the gamespy forums is plain pathetic. Eat shit and die moron.
And you're what? God? Lol.

I could pick your post apart. I won't. I will just say you are a moron, and I never promised anything to anyone.

Also, if you'd stop putting arguments in my mouth, you'd gain my respect. Not that you care, of course.

Morbus

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Do you guys buy the games you trash here? "

yes, the Codexers here do do that. FO3, JE, ME, OBlivion, and so on so forth were all games bashed relentlessly pre release eyt many Codexers were amongst the first to buy it.
Oh dear vol. Even though I like lurking and occasionally posting here, if what you say is a must to be a codexer, then I'm not. At all :P

Volourn said:
"By your line of thinking, the persons who haven't played videogames before, or don't know jack about it DON'T LIKE THE FIRST VIDEOGAMES THEY PLAY!"

WTF? Your comment is retarded. It has nothing to do with what you quoted.
I know it is. It actually is not, but still. I jumped over a few intermediate logical arguments, so I'll decompose:

You defend that it is the feeling that a game is good that makes people like them. Not only is that completely denied by the simple fact that many people, such as myself, are able to identify quality games and not like them at all (like, say, some beat em ups, some sport games, some RPGs even), it would mean that a person that has no idea what a good game is cannot like games.

Or the other way around, of course.

Also, @ Feral Kid:

WTF? Where in hell have you read any of my design documents? I mean, if you had read the crappy ones I did when I was 15 years old, lol.

Seriously, stop commenting on the ability to design of an archeology student that does the job of an amateur journalist and web designer on his free time. Seriously. :lol:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You defend that it is the feeling that a game is good that makes people like them. Not only is that completely denied by the simple fact that many people, such as myself,"

Nowhere did I say someone liking the game automatically makes the game good. I said it makes that person think said game is good.

I find it completely illogical for someone to believe a game is crappy yet like it. I find it intellectually dishonest to claim you like a game yet think it sucks at the same time. In essence, I beleive people who say that are flat out liars.

btw, You can like a game and still see potential flaws in it. Just because a game has flaws doesn't make it a bad game nor does it make you dumb liking said game despite said flaws.

Espically since EVERY game has flaws.

P.S. Nor did I calim that one cannot see a game being good and not liking it. Obviously, if you hate sports games youa rne't gonna like the best sports game ever no matter what. Duh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
LOTS of people here do nor did I claim EVERYONE did so distort the truth.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
And you have statistical proof that the majority buy instead of pirate, of course.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Lesifoere said:
Morbus said:
Volourn said:

Do you guys buy the games you trash here? :lol:
\

I don't, and a lot of Codexers don't. We simply do not remove them from inventory. I've pointed this out to Volly very, very many times--but as much else, nothing gets through to someone as delusional as he is. You should stop trying.
Pirate them or buy them, whatever. Doesn't really refute Volourn's point about some here on the Codex being dumb and desperate enough to waste time on a game they apparently hate and bashed repeatedly (or at least pretend to).

Dionysus

Scholar
Lesifoere said:
I don't, and a lot of Codexers don't. We simply do not remove them from inventory. I've pointed this out to Volly very, very many times--but as much else, nothing gets through to someone as delusional as he is. You should stop trying.
I don't know if there's much wisdom in stealing something that you are doomed and determined to hate, either. It is less stupid than buying it, but it's still pretty dumb.

elander_

Arbiter
So you can't bash the information you se on game sites because you haven't played the game yet, but when you actually play it then it's retarded to bash it because you played it.

Elzair

Cipher
AoD

Fucking Bioware!! Raping the PC yet again to appeal to the Halo-tards! Anyway, is there a release date yet for AoD?

Hümmelgümpf said:
No fucking way. Alpha Protocol, Bayonetta, NG Sigma 2 and Brutal Legend are released this October.

Didn't know Sigma 2 or Bayonetta where coming out in October. That's cool about Bayonetta (still not sure if this will fall victim to the female character curse of action games), but I'm not sure such a short development cycle for Sigma 2 is a good thing. I'd rather they take their time and really deliver more than just a gimmicky port.

Morbus

Scholar
Volourn said:
"You defend that it is the feeling that a game is good that makes people like them. Not only is that completely denied by the simple fact that many people, such as myself,"

Nowhere did I say someone liking the game automatically makes the game good. I said it makes that person think said game is good.
That's what I said you said.

Volourn said:
I find it completely illogical for someone to believe a game is crappy yet like it. I find it intellectually dishonest to claim you like a game yet think it sucks at the same time. In essence, I beleive people who say that are flat out liars.
How old are you? You are either a complete moron, some stupid redneck or very young/inexperienced. [EDIT: I'm referring to the e-character named Volourn, not the genius writing his posts in a purposely controversial manner]

It is possible to like something and not to think it's good. Very easy, actually. And the other way around too. Have you ever been in love? I'd say you haven't, because no woman is ever good enough for you. :D No offense.

Volourn said:
btw, You can like a game and still see potential flaws in it. Just because a game has flaws doesn't make it a bad game nor does it make you dumb liking said game despite said flaws.

Espically since EVERY game has flaws.
It's the fundamental value of those flaws that amount for how good (or bad) the said game is. I know what you mean, but your logic can easily be twisted into the usual (or maybe not so usual) "every game is good". I won't follow that line. Sorry.

Fat Dragon said:
Pirate them or buy them, whatever.
Lol, yeah, that amounts for the same thing :lol:

Seriously, I receive a game to review, I'm instantly supporting it, even I say the worst of it in my editorial texts... Seriously :roll:

[quote="Fat Dragon"Doesn't really refute Volourn's point about some here on the Codex being dumb and desperate enough to waste time on a game they apparently hate and bashed repeatedly (or at least pretend to).[/quote]
That wasn't what he said. Still, and again, if you don't have anything to do, you do whatever you have at hand. Even if it is playing a game you hate, just to know all the bits of it, so you can bash it online XD

P.S.: I am the king of the thread. Every page thus far except for the first one starts with one of my posts :D I have no life :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom