Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Content Withheld From Vanilla Copy, Sold as DLC

MetalCraze

Arcane
Haha nice joke, Zeus

Zeus said:
Does anyone honestly believe there was, at some point, a finished copy of the game with all this stuff included?
After ~6 years of development? Of course not - do you think everyone's so naive? But really nice joke, I almost thought you were serious.

Zeus

Cipher
Yeah, a six year development cycle. Now there's an environment where developers are free to pursue optional content. Yep, no pressure to release a game like that. Just take your time, make sure you get every last character in, aaaaaabd it's done. Wait! We are suddenly greedy! Take all that content back out so we can make more money! MWAH HAH HAH!

...that's really your stance on things?

Because it's a lot more likely that without DLC, that stuff would have been cut in order to get it out the door.

Zeus said:
I don't see why everyone assumes that this Warden stuff was removed from the game after it was finished in some last minute burst of greed. Bioware had to cut the content from the main game -- same as things got cut from Arcanum. If they paid people to finish the content, it's only because they knew they could make a return on the DLC, something that wasn't really possible with Arcanum.
So, that's why it's being released the same day as the "full game", but not a part of it. Because it's cut content, people! It's like new Arcanum! Huzzah!
Bring on the dog armour, baby, oh yeah...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zeus said:
Wait! We are suddenly greedy! Take all that content back out so we can make more money! MWAH HAH HAH!
This concept is called "business" a.k.a. making money off of sheeple, heard of one?

Because it's a lot more likely that without DLC, that stuff would have been cut in order to get it out the door.
So they didn't cut it from the game but at the same time they cut it out because it was only possible to release it as DLC? What a failure at logic.
Poor Bioware after 6 years of development didn't have the time to make all stuff fit perfectly and bundle it with a game - but oh wait it will fit and it's a zero day DLC ffs. I imagine Maxis cut out all stuff from Sims3 that was in Sims2 just to get the project out of the door.

But as for my stance - I just think that you are a consumerist sheep, have fun being ripped off - you deserve it.

Well, we know that the PC version was finished several months ago, so practically something can be done between then and now.

Micmu

Magister
Re: Dragon Age Content Withheld From Vanilla Copy, Sold as D

Warden's Keep
Ahaha, even by name, it sounds something like Batshitsda would do.
Brilliant, kudos to EAware. :wink:

Zeus

Cipher
The DLC content wouldn't have been completed if it wasn't going to be sold as DLC.

Why is this so hard to understand? Release dates are beside the point. Must they arbitrarily delay the expansion by six months or face accusations of "withholding content"?

Zeus

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
And I see Zeus once again entered his nonconformist frenzy. You go girl!

Why is the guy from Twilight talking to me?

It's weird and gross.

Zeus said:
The DLC content wouldn't have been completed if it wasn't going to be sold as DLC.

Brace for a shock laddie: IT WOULD.

Know why? BECAUSE IT'S RELEASED ON SAME DAY AS THE FUCKING GAME.

SO IT WAS FINISHED AT THE SAME TIME.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Zeus said:
Release dates are beside the point.

In other news, the vanilla edition of Mass Effect 2 will only feature the main questline. However, to properly enhance your experience, you can buy a few DLCs with sidequests ranging from epic planetary defences to simple 'Motherfucker Shepard on a fetch assignment'. Each DLC will cost 10$, give about 15 minutes of content and, best of all, it will be released the same time as ME2 vanilla, thanks to which you'll be able to play the game like a pro from day one.

Emotional Vampire said:
Zeus said:

I think Bioware was bashed here for delaying the PC version for the console versions.
So it is very possible that they are not finished at the same time. Just the PC version get delayed too much...

Micmu

Magister
Emotional Vampire said:
Zeus said:

It would take them six months to include it on the original DVD, man!!1

Zeus you suck at business so STFU

Zeus

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Zeus said:

First I'm a "girl", now I'm a "laddie". Gender issues much?

Yes, it was finished at the same time. But only because they could justify the manhours with DLC money. No DLC money, no content. If someone had paid Droog $7 a pop for his patch, I'm sure it would have been released a lot closer to the game.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
33cm149.jpg

everyone's a girl when they're face down.

MetalCraze

Arcane
@Garfield

Of course - if you are naive enough to believe that crap. The fact is - there was not a single detailed preview about a game up until 2 months ago. Which is strange for a game that was finished last year. And watch DA having much less content than BG2 which took far far much less time to develop.

And yes release dates are beside the point - Bethesda released an ending to Fallout 3 as DLC only half of a year later. Now add to this that TES series to which Fallout 3 is a successor do not have endings and do you think Bethesda released all those DLC just out of pure love for gamers?

Of course they did! Now please give them another of your $10 cuz they care. DLC is totally not a way of ripping off idiots with stuff like horse armor which wouldn't make it into the game was it not a DLC!

denizsi

Arcane
*Yawn* Bethesda did it first. Zero Day, Schmero Zay; the game shipped with missing content that was soon put back in DLCs.

Cutting unfinished content before deadline is the norm. Cutting finished content just to sell it separately is not.

As i said on the biowhore forums: Anybody who belives this to be "additional content" and not crap they cut from the game so they can milk the profits as much as possible is a complete and utter moron.

Krash

Arcane
Didn't Bioware use to release a bunch of extras for free for their games together with patches? Guess that era is over. Maybe I'll just buy the game and torrent all the DLC

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What I wonder is why anyone would be announcing the expansion and extra content before the actual game has even been released.

That is going way overboard with just one unreleased game.

Micmu

Magister
It is about time to put the archaic terms like "game" and "video game" to rest and introduce a new one: DLC (gaming) platform.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon Age is now officially a money-cow.
It's a trilogy, it's going to have DLCs (one even on release day), it will most probably even get larger expansions. Basically, they're going to try to milk that franchise as well as they can. Oh, and don't forget the official novels. Ahh, what a fat milky cow Dragon Age is!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom