Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Content Withheld From Vanilla Copy, Sold as DLC

DiverNB

Liturgist
I understand games are more expensive to make now days, but how much of that goes into the actual game?

Call me crazy, but now days it feels like we pay more for less when it comes to actual game play and content.

circ

Arcane
Games are actually getting longer and longer. Take some of the stuff on the C64 for instance. A lot of that you can play through from 10 mins to an hour or two max if you know how. Then again you have stuff like Elite. Baldur's Gate? Not that amazingly long either. Action games like FPS's are getting longer too. But the problem isn't length, length is always nice though. The problem is content. Somewhere along the way of stretching out already superficial story lines to more hours of gameplay, the dialogue turns to shit and the plot likewise. And this without significant improvements in performance or eye candy. Either way, it does beg the question - What the fuck are they doing?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
No they are not. Call of Duty: Modern Combat is the only "next-gen" FPS I've finished and it was 6 hours. Quake 4 was 8 hours, iirc. Original Doom took way more hours to finish. And since Valve has degenerated into episodic content instead of a proper game, it doesn't look like any future FPS is gonna break that trend.

JE and KOTOR were shorter than any previous RPG, ME again shorter than any previous one.

Oblivion had smaller world than Morrowind or Daggerfall, no idea about the amount of quests though.

I really don't see where you base this "games are getting longer" - the technical limitations of C64-era or later "must fit onto a floppy"-period have been surpassed years and years ago. Games are getting bigger GB-wise but its because of CGI-'movies' and voice 'acting' and silly fluff like that, instead of proper content.

circ said:
Games are actually getting longer and longer. Take some of the stuff on the C64 for instance. A lot of that you can play through from 10 mins to an hour or two max if you know how. Then again you have stuff like Elite. Baldur's Gate? Not that amazingly long either. Action games like FPS's are getting longer too. But the problem isn't length, length is always nice though. The problem is content. Somewhere along the way of stretching out already superficial story lines to more hours of gameplay, the dialogue turns to shit and the plot likewise. And this without significant improvements in performance or eye candy. Either way, it does beg the question - What the fuck are they doing?

What C64 RPG's are you talking about here? I cannot recall any that take an hour or two to play through. From my point of view, it took me a LOT longer to play through The Magic Candle, or Ultima V (insert other C64 RPG) than it did any new RPG.

Mortmal

Arcane
I remember games taking longer to finish as well those on a simple floppy disk, i was younger , i suppose i ve grown incredibly skilled with age...That or gameplay has been dumbed down into oblivion more than likely since when i try some abandonware games theya re incredibly more difficult than new games.
It seems all the budget go into 3D and not the gameplay, except maybe on DS games, its funny to see how small the rom are compared to a PC game, just cause they get rid of the next gen graphics.Its like 32mb for darkspyre for example.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Grifthin said:
Wasn't Mass Effect Longer than Jade Empire ? I remember finishing JE in one sitting.

Could be, I never could stomach actually finishing ME - I just judged the length of the remainder from the LP's. Still, JE was very short, so proving that ME was longer than JE is like saying that the pile of shit you just stepped in is a very small pile - sure, it could have been a huge pile instead but its still shit.

circ

Arcane
I was referring to games in general, on the C64 as well. I had piles of papers of stuff lying around when I was playing through Magic Candle. Knowing what I know nowadays, it wouldn't take weeks this time if I did try it. But Magic Candle has a lot more content than a lot of other crpg's of that period or now. Take something like Ultima 6. If you've played through it once, it's not a very long game. Then again, the content is woven into the game in a better way than newer crpg's, and so it doesn't feel like you have a main quest and a bunch of side quests that you can ignore.

RolePlayer

Augur
This just keeps getting better and better:

But then there's the third step. It's called Warden's Keep and it'll cost you seven dollars to download. It adds a new party camp that includes storage so you can free up backpack slots when you're adventuring. Bioware claims this was created after early reviews complained about the lack of inventory space. But rather than fixing the game by giving everyone a storage locker, they opted to use the problem as a way to make more money.

The bottom line is this: the lack of inventory space is a problem given the way the game was designed. The solution to this problem will cost you seven dollars above and beyond the money you paid when you bought the game. Dragon Age, as sold, is slightly crippled by design. Once again, Electronic Arts pushes the limit for how to bilk you for more money. Here's a wonderful single-player RPG and the publisher is doing their level best to make you keep paying for it even after you've already bought it.

Shame on you, EA.

link: http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/11/drag ... ven_do.php

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
AlaCarcuss said:
FFS, just torrent the DLC it's easy to install and there's no DRM.

I was under the impression that you can't do that for the content DLCs (ie. the only ones that matter)? I got the one with Shale with my normal retail copy, but no way will I pay up for the Warden Keep DLC.

Multi-headed Cow

Nah, they don't work. The current "Install with DAupdater and change addins.xml" scheme makes them show up as installed and working in the in-game DLC menu, but when you try to start the quest in the game itself it bugs out and doesn't work.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"JE and KOTOR were shorter than any previous RPG, ME again shorter than any previous one."

This is bullshit. Most 'old skool games' weren't that long. 20 hours or shoter for 99% of them. Stop that shit. Fuckin' FO could be finsihed in less than 10 hours without trying.

Also:

STOP WITH THE FUCKIN' WHINING ABOUT 'LIMITED' INVENTORY SPACE IN DA. IT'S FUCKIN' DUMB. THE GAME GIVES YOU 70 FUCKIN' SLOTS AND ALLOWS YOU TO CARRY 70 SUYITS OF FUCKIN' ARMOUR. FFS TO SYA IT'S LIMITED IN ANY WYAY IS FUCKIN' BULLSHIT. IT GIVES YOU FUCKIN' TOO MANY! FUCK!

Multi-headed Cow said:
Nah, they don't work. The current "Install with DAupdater and change addins.xml" scheme makes them show up as installed and working in the in-game DLC menu, but when you try to start the quest in the game itself it bugs out and doesn't work.

And apparently they fuck up location triggers for the DLC, so when an actual crack comes out...they probably won't work right. I just used the 'gimme items' (Luck Ring, etc) that are given to you, and left all the DLC that requires authorization alone. It won't be that long till they're cracked.

Multi-headed Cow

Volourn said:
STOP WITH THE FUCKIN' WHINING ABOUT 'LIMITED' INVENTORY SPACE IN DA. IT'S FUCKIN' DUMB. THE GAME GIVES YOU 70 FUCKIN' SLOTS AND ALLOWS YOU TO CARRY 70 SUYITS OF FUCKIN' ARMOUR. FFS TO SYA IT'S LIMITED IN ANY WYAY IS FUCKIN' BULLSHIT. IT GIVES YOU FUCKIN' TOO MANY! FUCK!
Then I want BG2 gem bags so my gems aren't taking up space. :rpgcodex:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Volourn said:
"JE and KOTOR were shorter than any previous RPG, ME again shorter than any previous one."

This is bullshit. Most 'old skool games' weren't that long. 20 hours or shoter for 99% of them. Stop that shit. Fuckin' FO could be finsihed in less than 10 hours without trying.

Maybe your Giana Sisters and Bubble Bobble. FO was freeform, you could finish it in 20 minutes if you knew what you were doing. Doesn't remove the fact that BG2 is Bioware's largest game so far (dunno about DA) and every game aftar that has been shorter and shorter.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Doesn't remove the fact that BG2 is Bioware's largest game so far (dunno about DA) and every game aftar that has been shorter and shorter."

BG2's game length was overrated. On top of this, we were disucssing all old skool RPGs not just BG2. BG2 is a long RPG; but IT IS NOT NOR EVER WAS THE NORMAL TO HAVE A RPG BE AS LONG AS BG2.

To say it was is UTTER BULLSHIT.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You wanna discuss oldskool rpgs? Alright, every Might and Magic and Wizardry game was a real damn lot longer than 20 hours :smugcodex:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Define 'long'.

Every single one of the Wizardrys and M&Ms could be done in less than 50 hours. And, they were the exception NOT the norm.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I don't need to prove anything - espciially how long it took me to complete games I played decades ago. R00fles!

torrentrush now has working versions of the DLC (tried them out), dunno how many others do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom