Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Dragon Age at first glance - Gamespy

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
1. I'll throw away my NWN copy when a game comes along and does what it does better. I don't forsee that happening.

2. FO2 will always be better than FO1. Deal with it.

3. That could be true. I am internet perosnality; but the question is is that all i am?

4." I'm sure they would have every DnD race and then claim that they invented them"

Proof that they'll do what you'll claim they'll do.

5. Still no.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1. Does what better? Be a crappier RPG? Yeah, I guess you're right, I don't see that happening either :D

2. Bigger!=Better. Accept that. :wink:

3. There is more what it came from? :lol:

4. Saw that big guy next to the little chick? That's an orc. Of course, they don't want to use the name, but something that rhymes would do. So, it's a dork :lol:

5. Definitely, yes.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. Really? You must have missed.... TOEE. :P

2. Too bad that's not the only reason why I prefer FO2. :cool:

3. No one knows not even me. :shock:

4. Uhuh... If you say so... :?

5. No.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Volourn said:
WOW!

I was here just 10 minutes ago, and this thread magically appears out of thin air and has almost a score of posts.
Dragon Age at first glance - Gamespy
Posted by Whipporowill Thu May 13, 2004 7:51 am

Response by Volourn Thu May 13, 2004 8:55 am
8.55 - 7.51 = 1hr 4 mins.

LOL

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Close enough.It felt like 10 minutes. :lol:

So there. :?

And, finally: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Vault Dweller

Developer
1. ToEE? Nope, try again. Despite the flaws, it doesn't come close to the crapfest that was NWN. Now, we all know that your crappy computer couldn't run ToEE properly, thus robbing you of a chance to experience DnD combat as it was meant to be, and you are angry about it, but let's not make claims out of spite :wink:

2. There are more reasons? Let me guess...the car, you liked the car, didn't you? No, you liked VC and NR! Good for you! Don't let little things like setting get in the way.

5. Yes. What are we arguing about in no.5 again? :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. I disagree. I experience DnD combat as it's meant to be ALL the time. Unlike some people DnD pnp works just find and unlike TOEE combat it works and it's challenging! O M G Challenging combat! Something TOEE doesn't know anything about. Ha.

2. Huh? The setting was the same in both games - a post nuclear war setting. next youa re goona come in say that FO's setting wa sudner water and FO2's was in space. LOL The setting was the same. :twisted:

3. No. And, i forgot what it was like 2 posts again. Hehe. :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
1. I thought we were talking about camputar games, otherwise, I agree, nothing beats good old fashioned pnp session.

2. I see that you're making progress. Yes, the setting was the same, but the things that were in that setting didn't belong in that setting, just like a BOS' paladin in a power armor wouldn't fit very well into your fantasy party, although he would probably have bitching saving throws.

3. Well, I guess it doesn't really matter what it was, but just for the record, it's a yes. No doubt about it. As you often say, I win, you lose :wink: :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. We've gone beyond seriosuly discussing anything so its' time to make things up. But, no, D&D combat is about challeneg, and there are other PC D&D games that accomplish that more than TOEE - BG series, NWN series, and the Gb series to varying degrees so even discussing PC games only; TOEE loses. :(

2.Beh. New Reno fit the setting. With ease. Go away NR hater. :x :shock:

3. No. And, LOL :lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
On a totally unrelated note, here is some fun stuff from the Bio DA boards

Local DnD expert said:
I like the variation you get with classes or skills. Unfortunately, NWN made these variations pointless in trying to make it playable SP without a party. For example:

Clerics - the great healers. Don't need em. I'll just sit here for a few seconds and heal completely.

Theives - for getting those pesky locks and traps out of the way. Wow if I shoot that chest with a bow enough times, I'll get at what's in it and not have to worry about setting off a trap or picking the lock.

I just need to feel like if I'm making a choice such as picking a class, that there will be real consequences and rewards for making that choice. That's what causes me to think that party control is the only way to have skill/class choices have real meaning for the individual characters while not making the game unplayable.
Or, and this is just a crazy idea, how about having different ways for different classes to handle objections and proceed through a game. That way, we won't have to get rid of most classes.

JE Sawyer said:
Some moron said:
DnD works, and it has only gotten better with NWN. you think bioware won't lose fans after dropping d20? think again.
No, I don't. By now, BioWare's name is more important to computer game players than "D&D". With Knights of the Old Republic, it was sold on "BioWare" and "Star Wars", and a lot of good reviews. No one gave a rat's *** that the game was d20.

d20 was designed to be re-designed by whomever uses it, thats it's power.
I can assure you, that d20 was not designed to be re-designed by whomever uses it. It was designed to be used the way WotC wants it to be used. Player != licensee.

BioWare knows what kind of game they are making. Unless their heads are way, way up their collective *****, they know what ruleset will work best for their game. They don't have to deal with a licensor breathing down their necks and they don't have to worry about pedantic nerdlings flipping out because Rule #273 from Appendix A of Expansion Book 8 wasn't implemented to the letter.
Come on, JE, it wasn't just the rule 273, half of the god damned book was missing

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Read that too. Some funny poo. And, please, you know it's true of EVERY D&D game ever made. Period. Waaa... waa.. wa... This rule isn't right. Waaa... waaa.. waa.. I even find myself doing it from time to time. This time we can say the rules sucks but at least we won't have to use some obscure rule in some cheap book to attack the game. Period.

Besdies, stop whining. You'll know you'll buy this game. you'll probably hate it and if you somehow miraclously like it you'll say it was a good adventure game but a crappy role-playing game. Why do ya torture yourself?

Stop buying, or paying attention to Bioware games which are *not* role-playing games accoridng to you and hyping them up on a supposedly RPG oriented gaming site scuha s this one?

You continue the cycle. End it. Please.

Thank you. :cool:

Voss

Erudite
Aha! Caught in the act VD!
Pedantic nerdling, pedantic nerdling!
:lol:

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
But, no, D&D combat is about challeneg, and there are other PC D&D games that accomplish that more than TOEE - BG series, NWN series, and the Gb series to varying degrees so even discussing PC games only; TOEE loses. :(
I get it now, the harder the game the better and truer DnD game it is. That's an...interesting definition. First of all, neither BG, nor NWN, nor GB series were that hard. Second, there are many ways to play a game, if you're that good, and I don't doubt that you, use more challenging party. Don't camp around, go in early. That fight in the guard tower at lvl3-4 is very tough, even for you. It's a piece of cake at lvl5 though. Same applies to any other ToEE battle.

New Reno fit the setting. With ease. Go away NR hater. :x :shock:
lol.

You'll know you'll buy this game. you'll probably hate it and if you somehow miraclously like it you'll say it was a good adventure game but a crappy role-playing game. Why do ya torture yourself?
I like adventure games? :)

Stop buying, or paying attention to Bioware games
As a fellow Canadian, I feel the urge to support my country :lol: *sings "O Canada!"

Anonymous

I like large battles (like the Total War games), but I doubt that screen was part of the game. Probably just a cutscene or a movie or something.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
1. Not neccessary. But if youa re going go through all that trouble(9and sicne we know 95% of the game's development types was used to work on the combat system) there was no exuse for the combat to be so easy. i never said those games' combat were super ahrd or even ahrd; but they most assuredly were harder tan TOEE.
Didn't we have this discussion earlier? I'm not gonna purpsoely "handicap" my game by rushing to the most difficult battles. Heck, if I wanted to be so lame I'd just cast invisisbility and rush down to the Temple Head Boss tm right away. Nah, I'd rather go with the flow and follow what (little) story there is/was in a linear game like TOEE.

2. double lol.

3. Yet you post news articles of adevnture games ona RPG site? Does. not. Compute.

4. Kanada is overrated. :twisted:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Of course, one must keep in mind, having harder combat than TOEE isn't saying much. At all.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
But still... you think NWN has harder combat than ToEE... can I buy your copy, I think it must be different from the one I played. Here, I'll give you $80 for it. You can buy a collector's with an Aribeth poster.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. I'm still amazed you think TOEE is harder. Afterall, you fight one creature (bugbear) you fight all creatures (more bugbears) in TOEE. I don't think most of your oppoents even in a D&D game like that even know what magic is! WOWSERS!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Who was zinging? I was merely tyoing the truth. Don't you know 125% of what I type is factual? Tsk, tsk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom