Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Double Fine to halt development of Spacebase DF-9, cutting features

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck off where?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not to mention that even positive reviews are all talking about "potential".

You know, the potential that will never be achieved. None of the negatives in the reviews have been fixed.

Fuck off J_C, you corporate shill.
Hey, don't be too hard on J_C, he works hard for these
12747.jpg
fanboy.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You know, the potential that will never be achieved. None of the negatives in the reviews have been fixed.

12747.jpg
fanboy.png
And I still didn't get a proper Double Fine or Tim Schafer one. :argh:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

12747.jpg
fanboy.png
And I still didn't get a proper Double Fine or Tim Schafer one. :argh:
Yeah, you well deserve them.

m_s0

Arcane
Good thing I opted to wait for the final product. Concept-wise (I wasn't really following the development at all) this was by far the most interesting DF project to me. Can't say I'm too surprised about this outcome.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Good thing I opted to wait for the final product. Concept-wise (I wasn't really following the development at all) this was by far the most interesting DF project to me. Can't say I'm too surprised about this outcome.
This was also the DF game I was looking forward the most to. But this cought me by surprise. I thought they will keep in in EA for a long time to milk it and get more and more money. It seems it didn't sell well enough and the income from EA was less than the costs of the game.

Explorerbc

Arcane
They start a kickstarter with a vague concept and fail to manage the budget properly (Broken Age)
While in financial trouble and with nothing to show for the first one, they start a second one shortly after with another vague concept (Massive Chalice)
Then they start doing game jams and releasing prototypes on early access, again while not having finished previous projects (Hack n Slash, Spacebase)
And then, they undertake even more projects ( Costume Quest 2, GF HD)

Everybody was treating Tim Schaffer like the indie Messiah and creative genious, and were always playing the "evil publishers" card, but look at their business model now that they are an independent studio and publishers themselves.
I will take a lot of effort to make me trust them to deliver a game as promised in the future

AMG

Arbiter
How to run your goodwill into the ground 101.
I wonder how much would DF kickstarter earn today :lol:.

Baron

Arcane
I was keen to get Spacebase but the player comments always held me back (and long before this announcement came out, J_C...) It's like Haba said, the reviews were either negative or optismistic that one day it will be good. Lack of content being the main problem..

I understand that for small businesses accountants are end of level bosses, and that DF obviously needed to make tough decisions, but it doesn't change the fact that they are scuttling their own brand at the moment.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But fine, they jumped from alpha to release, and missed out on features. It is not a good thing, I'm not happy about it. But does the game plays fine? Yes. Does it have a decent simulation mechanics? Sure. Could it be more complex? Sure. I'm not going to be butthurt like those retards on steam who open threads like "DF should be banned from Steam" or "the game should be pulled from Steam" by the dozen. I mean, what the fuck?

Whether or not the game plays fine is irrelevant. (It doesn't play fine).
The fact of the matter is that people were promised a way bigger game. Then suddenly the regular updates to early access stops for an extended period, folllowed by 3/4ths of the feature list being cut. And in typical DF style, they don't even admit they wasted all the money on hookers and blow. They just hoped noone would notice and pretended the cut features were never there in the first place.

If I order a car from you and you give me a bicycle, I have every right to be upset. It doesn't matter how nice the bike looks.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Fuck Double Fine, though the first red flag should have been when they started to pull people from this project to help on Massive Chalice or that other KS scam they were running.

Clockwork Empires luckily has far better chances of being done. For one the devs didn't ask for money to complete it, and even wanted to avoid doing early access at all, until 3 years into development behind closed doors. Also they're only doing one new game at a time, besides Dredmor expansions or whatever.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
But fine, they jumped from alpha to release, and missed out on features. It is not a good thing, I'm not happy about it. But does the game plays fine? Yes. Does it have a decent simulation mechanics? Sure. Could it be more complex? Sure. I'm not going to be butthurt like those retards on steam who open threads like "DF should be banned from Steam" or "the game should be pulled from Steam" by the dozen. I mean, what the fuck?

Whether or not the game plays fine is irrelevant. (It doesn't play fine).
The fact of the matter is that people were promised a way bigger game. Then suddenly the regular updates to early access stops for an extended period, folllowed by 3/4ths of the feature list being cut. And in typical DF style, they don't even admit they wasted all the money on hookers and blow. They just hoped noone would notice and pretended the cut features were never there in the first place.

If I order a car from you and you give me a bicycle, I have every right to be upset. It doesn't matter how nice the bike looks.
This proves that hopefully DF stops this transparent development, because this happens when you share your every idea with the fans. They take is for granted, even if you specifically say that this is just a wishlist, and we won't be able to implement each and every one of them.

And don't act fucking retarded and say that they blow the money. You damn well know that DF is in a difficult financial position, and they probably didn't get enough for implementing every feature. I fucking know that their management sucks, you don't have to tell me, but it is sure as hell that they are not running company with bad intentions for screwing over everybody. They make too ambitious goals, and they can't dial back on them even though the money is not there.
Fuck Double Fine, though the first red flag should have been when they started to pull people from this project to help on Massive Chalice or that other KS scam they were running.
As I've read on the forums, there have never been more than 4 (FOUR!) people on this project. And despite Massive Chalice was looking to be a vaporware at first, it is coming along nicely, and if you would have listened to the updates, you could see it yourself.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This proves that hopefully DF stops development

Fixed.

I wanted to like DF, but it has been proven beyond a shadow of doubt that Tim Schafer needs someone more responsible than himself in charge of the money box.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Tim Schafer needs someone more responsible than himself in charge of the money box.
Agreed. Although they probably do as much as they can with that money, the company is just too big, they live in an expensive area and they don't lay off people, but make them work on projects which cost more money that they can receive.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
God, wtf is going on with Double Fine. How the fuck do they keep running through so much goddamn cash.
When average monthly salary of a Double Fine employee is 10.000$ :lol: (Shaffer's probably 10 times that) :salute: and project management is abysmal, you run through millions like goddamned road runner... and have time to go to the pub after work.

:excellent:

I want to work at double fine :negative:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If the games "industry" was a normal and healthy business, DF would have been sued to hell and back already.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Shit like this was obvious to anyone without Tim Schaefer's cock in their mouth. Company is barely staying afloat blowing through millions of dollars in the most expensive (or at least in the top three) regions to live in America. They're already back to taking on projects from big money publishers. Their Kickstarters are scams... desperate grabs at cash with laughable results. When they finally go bankrupt it'll be a good day for the industry.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
After Brutal Legend, I have enjoyed Double Fine videos much more than their games, so maybe they should just switch industries. This would mean end of hopes for Psychonauts 2, but is there any hope for that anyway?

:negative:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
After Brutal Legend, I have enjoyed Double Fine videos much more than their games, so maybe they should just switch industries. This would mean end of hopes for Psychonauts 2, but is there any hope for that anyway?

:negative:

There's still hope! Notch had expressed interest in funding Psychonauts 2 in the past, but he didn't have enough money for the project. Now, finally, he has two billion bucks burning his pockets. That's probably enough for Double Fine to make Psychonauts 2 part 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom