Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Does a game really "suck" if you spend 100 hours on it?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You might still dislike a game, even if you have spent 100 hours playing it.

How exactly?

What Snorkack said:

Skyrim has this weird phenomenon where you play it for hours (I think I have around ~70 under my belt, which is very much by my standards) and only realize afterwards what a bland experience you just had. It's like cotton candy. you are all excited about eating it but once you finished, you notice how it consisted just of a single real ingredient, some fancy color and lots of hot air.

It works like a chewing gum for brain and is quite similar to passively watching TV - you play the game because it is a way to pass the time and only afterwards realise it was a waste, and that you did not really enjoy it, and did not really get anything out of it. Often this realisation comes after encountering something you really do enjoy.

From all available alternatives you chose to spend your free time on it, what do you get out if it if not enjoyment? Actions are what counts, not empty words.

As I have already mentioned:

often they (people) think they do not have anything better to do. In reality they are just too lazy to look for something more interesting.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you play a game hundreds of hours the game is fun and enjoyable to you.

The tendency here to shit on a game one has played for hundreds of hours, presumably just to gain rpg street cred, is hypocritical and dishonest.

Its not that people shit on games I like but it is this rampant blatant dishonesty that really rustles my jimmies sometimes. You have spent over one hundred hours in Skyrim? Fine, just admit that you liked it then instead of shitposting about Todd Howard.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Do you know any flawless game?

No but a game doesn't have to be flawless for me to enjoy it, far from it.

If you are going to play vidya game for 100% pure enjoyment, I've got a bad news for you.

Why else would I fucking play them? To learn the language? If I spend 100 hours on a game you better believe I like it (which doesn't necessarily means it's a good game overall mind you, it just appeals to me personally) a lot.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
It works like a chewing gum for brain and is quite similar to passively watching TV - you play the game because it is a way to pass the time and only afterwards realise it was a waste, and that you did not really enjoy it, and did not really get anything out of it. Often this realisation comes after encountering something you really do enjoy.

That sounds terribly boring, I'd rather turn off the TV/PC in that case and take a nap or something.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
played for 20 hours : you hardly played the game, criticism invalid
played for 50 hours : you didn't play the game enough, criticism invalid because you didn't even finish it
played for 100 hours: you played so much, this proves you like the game and only shit on it for "rpg street cred"

The logic is sound.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Also perfectly possible to think something is great while you are in the midst of it, enjoying it in a reactive sort of way, only to realize on reflection how shallow and poor the thing was. Especially with RPGs it is very easy to get caught up in the reward cycle of completing quests, gaining new equipment, etc. all things that are satisfying the ego in the moment, but on reflection were very vapid as a whole.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath

That may work for a 90 minute stupid movie even though even in that case I am often very sceptical of such arguments. I am far too busy watching a shitty movie when I could rather watch a good one instead, its not like there are not enough great movies out there.

It does not work at all for people spending over 100hrs in Skyrim. If I chew Skyrim-bubblegum for 100 hrs without even noticing how I allegedly not really enjoyed all those hours, I am doing something really fundamentally wrong with my lifetime.

played for 50 hours : you didn't play the game enough, criticism invalid because you didn't even finish it
played for 100 hours: you played so much, this proves you like the game and only shit on it for "rpg street cred"

The logic is sound.

You saying you play a game for 100hrs just to make really really sure its as shit as you think it is?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

The logic is sound.

Games are only shit if you can complete them in 14 hours or less. That way you can play it 7 times in 98hrs.

bminorkey

The logic is sound.

I'm talking about people who played the game for 100 hours because they wanted to play it, not to review it or decide their opinion on it or because they're OCD completionists, tho

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Indy4
DooM
Tie Fighter
Gothic 2.5
CoD4

Diablo
Rome: Total War
Terraria

Broforce
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Ultima IV

Just off the top of my head...
:nocountryforshitposters:

Pointing out Gothic 2 but not Diablo, Broforce, Ultima IV?

Just the most obvious ones in my opinion. Not one of them is really flawless ofcourse. Also I havent played Broforce, only saw some videos or sth

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Indy4
DooM
Tie Fighter
Gothic 2.5
CoD4

Diablo
Rome: Total War
Terraria

Broforce
Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Ultima IV

Just off the top of my head...

Problem, newfag? Show some balls and share your list of perfect games.

PS: ripping it off the KKK's master list of incline doesn't really count.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, imho yes. I have 70 hours in Oblivion on PS3 but absolutely hate the game, I literally hate it and cannot even play a single minute of it anymore. Everything about it makes me wanna puke, the npcs, the level scaling, the npcs, the diplomacy minigame, the NPCS OMG!!

I didn't have many other games when I bought the GOTY for PS3 and at first I admit I liked it. It was like a dream coming true, a huge beautiful world with so much to do... but the hype started to crumble and what was left was... well you all know Oblivion. I started realizing minor and major flaws in the game, I started realizing that my sneaky diplomacy char is shit and I have to turn the game on easy to stand a chance against the level scaled enemies. The NPCs unnerved me more and more with their faces straight out of the ninth circle of hell.

I forced myself to play tho since I wanted to still like it but when the questgiver of the Dark Brotherhood questline disappeared all of a sudden due to some bug I finally ragequitted for good.

So yes - you can play a game for 70 hours and still think it's shit :P

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Wow that was kinda smart AO, I didn't know you could be smart like that. Why aren't you smart more often

T. Reich

Arcane

The logic is sound.

Puh-leese! 5 to 10 mins of watching a typical gameplay on Youtube is enough to realise if the game is shit or not. Or at least if you would enjoy it or not.
Spending even 5 hours (on top of possible moneys paid) on something that's supposed to be entertainment but isn't entertaining to you is already a notable sign of mental retardation.
Ability to make snap judgements is a true trait of a mighty intellect.

Also, there is no "street cred" for RPG crowd because all of them RPG lovers are quite obviously basement dwellers. I suppose you can go up a level, but it wouldn't mean getting out of basement, it would rather mean relocating to a bunker instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom